44 replies to this topic

#21 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi Crimson Storm.

I'm so sorry to hear about your lips. What ingredient are you allergic to? I have found lanolin to work well when applied in a thick layer overnight, and then followed up with Blistex Medex. Fantastic stuff. After reading through your log I can't stop giggling. You're pretty funny, and remind me a lot of someone. You wouldn't happen to be living in scandinavia, would you? (I can't stop guessing now.)

The "don't yawn" -thing, so not fun and so true. Happens every morning. About your eyebrows, gently exfoliate them with a wet cloth to get the flake off, then slather them with a really thick layer of moisturizer overnight. Just remember to wash in the morning, or you will look like, really suspicious.

Hey Petrichor Murmurs (awesome nickname, by the way)!
I honestly have no idea what ingredient I'm allergic to. My derm is like one of those strict Russian teachers that stare into your soul with their cold gaze and say nearly nothing. I asked him if it's possible if I'm allergic to something in most lip balms, and he just said "Hmm... it's possible."
LIKE, WOW, GEE, THANKS! THAT DOESN'T HELP LIKE AT ALL.
So then I asked him what I'm supposed to do about my lips if everything irritates them, and his answer was just "You should keep putting lipbalm on them". It was like a never ending cycle. I'd love to change derms but I live in a small town and he's the only one around. Ugh. I went through 4 lip balms (including Vaseline) and they just made everything worse, so I'm not willing to bet on another one. I still haven't found something all natural and was hella disappointed that burt's bees don't ship here (we've now excluded the US, Canada, UK and Australia. What a truly exciting game of GUESS WHERE THE HELL DO I LIVE) because I wanted to try them. DAMMIT CAN I NOT LIVE IN THE BIGGEST POOP HOLE IN THE WORLD?! Is ordering it from eBay even safe? I'm all out of options :c

Thanks for the exfoliating tip, it really helps! Now I look less like a pizza (I mean, listen, the flakes are the flour and the pimples are pepperoni) and more like a human. ALSO OH MAN I WISH I WAS FROM SCANDINAVIA LIKE WOW SO MANY PRETTY PEOPLE HOLLA AT ME OK

day 26 - more like wow can i sleep for the next 5 months and wake up with flawless skin
Almost a month down. There's not much to say because nothing has changed. My face is actually even calmer than before, it feels like the calm before the storm. I LITERALLY WAIT FOR SOMETHING TO CLICK CLACK BANG BANG WITH MY FACE ANY MINUTE. Lips are thankful for lack of products on them at the moment, but they're seriously dry. I had to adapt to a toothless smile so they don't bleed and I'm99% sure people think I'm suffering from some terrible mouth disease. Woo.
The only side affect that truly bothers me right now is the tiredness and sleepiness. I HAVE THINGS TO DO, I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR CONSTANT NAPS. GO AWAY.

Edited by Crimson Storm, 01 May 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#22 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, wine tasting and skin care (I'm a reluctant skin care news/info maven)

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

CS, I feel like you and I are in the same boat in terms of fatigue. I stayed home sick Tuesday, and then my daughter was sick Wednesday and today so I've been working from home. Anyway, all three days I have been sleeping for about 14 hours a day! I'm not sick anymore, that was over Tuesday evening, but jeez! This kind of sleep cycle is not sustainable! I think I'm at day 22 or 23. My skin has also been really calm lately, so I'm bracing for the next round of crazy skin. :). Hang in there babe!

Month One: 40 mg Zenatane, taken with breakfast

Month Two: 60 mg Zenatane, one taken w/lunch, one w/dinner

Month Three: 80 mg Zenatane, one taken w/lunch, one w/dinner

Skin care regimen:

a.m.: Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA exfoliant, PC skin balancing antioxidant serum, PC Hydralight moisturizer and Resist SPF 30 moisturizer

p.m.: Kirkland cleansing wipes, Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA, PC Skin Replenishing moisturizer

Supplements: calcium, fish oil, B12, and D3

#23 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hey Kim! Hope you're feeling better including the whole fatigue stuff. I feel like I could sleep throughout the entire summer and never wake up if it wasn't for alarm clocks. 

Day 30 - Officially one month down!
Woo, can't believe I've stuck to something for a whole month! Only 5 to go, hopefully they'll be as successful as this one in terms of skin improvement. My skin looks a lot better than when I started (if you don't consider the whole peeling thing). No actives beside one that's starting to heal and the rest is just red spots and scars. The very tip of my nose is constantly peeling and I've been asked more than once if I'm a messy eater. IT'S NOT FOOD, IT'S DEAD SKIN. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
Now, let me tell you something guys. I've found my lord and savior - the EOS lip balm. Just as I'm typing I'm looking at it with eyes full of love and adoration. My lips were in TERRIBLE condition before I discovered this wonderful sphere of magic, and after 2-3 times of applying it on my lips they already stopped peeling and went back to being as soft as a baby's butt. OBVIOUSLY, they only sell it in the US and Canada, so I'll have to get my hands on them somehow. (achemPLEASESOMEONESENDMEAYEAR'SWORTHSUPPLYachem)
Anyway, that's about it. I really hope the rest of the course will go by smoothly and... yeah. 

#24 Petrichor Murmurs

Petrichor Murmurs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Getting rid of acne, studying, reading good books and cuddling cats.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'm so glad you found a lipbalm that worked. And, ordering on ebay is usually fine. I do it a lot, since many of my products are so expensive. Only use top-rated sellers and do a little background work. http://www.ebay.com/...lm&_sacat=11863

Burts Bees: http://www.ebay.com/...es&_sacat=11863

Maybe something like this: http://www.ebay.com/...=item27d29e844f

The fatigue is perhaps my least favourite of all the bonuses of using accutane. I sleep pretty mych 12 - 14 hours every day. And still take naps.

#25 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, wine tasting and skin care (I'm a reluctant skin care news/info maven)

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

Now, let me tell you something guys. I've found my lord and savior - the EOS lip balm. Just as I'm typing I'm looking at it with eyes full of love and adoration. My lips were in TERRIBLE condition before I discovered this wonderful sphere of magic, and after 2-3 times of applying it on my lips they already stopped peeling and went back to being as soft as a baby's butt. OBVIOUSLY, they only sell it in the US and Canada, so I'll have to get my hands on them somehow. (achemPLEASESOMEONESENDMEAYEAR'SWORTHSUPPLYachem)
Anyway, that's about it. I really hope the rest of the course will go by smoothly and... yeah. 

I use EOS every day too, and it's wonderful! I only need to reapply every couple of hours, rather than constantly. I got the big package of them from Costco, and it comes with five! Thank goodness, cause I'm gonna need them. :)

Skin care regimen:

a.m.: Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA exfoliant, PC skin balancing antioxidant serum, PC Hydralight moisturizer and Resist SPF 30 moisturizer

p.m.: Kirkland cleansing wipes, Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA, PC Skin Replenishing moisturizer

#26 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

I order from ebay a lot, I'm just really not sure about things that should be applied on my body since my skin gets angry so easily. I'll try, though, so thanks!
Kim, I'm so jealous that you can just go to the nearest(?) store and buy it. There is no variety of products in here at all  when it comes to EVERYTHING. 

Day 32 - I should probably keep my damn mouth shut
Okay, I talked too soon. I woke up to a furious face and at least 5 brand new whiteheads/other things in training. My lips are still a-okay and not peeling at all :)
Had a real problem with blackheads on my nose ever since I hit puberty, and now it's slowly clearing out, yay! Can't wait for my nose to stop looking like a minefield.
I'm starting to think that my derm is just putting me on a low-dose course because I remember him saying that it'll be a MINIMUM of 6 months. BOO. NO. I WANT IT TO BE OVER. On the other hand, if he bumps up the dose in 2 months I'll be super sad because I'm going abroad and a higher dose usually means bigger breakouts...
My scars are suddenly really stand out and my face is right red from spotting. It MIGHT be because period is supposed to arrive any second but it still sucks :c
Speaking of periods, I started to get them a bit late. Anyone else has/had this problem? For me, it usually arrives a few days earlier but now I just look at the period tracker app with absolute horror. Who knows? I might be carrying the next Jesus. Do you think the Accutane can still do some damage if it's another Jesus? Asking the real questions.

#27 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything! Seriously.

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hmm. Accutane and jesus babies don't mix. I am not an expert in jesusology, I just play one on tv. I have noticed some weirdness with my periods (not necessarily late though) just more PMS and general discomfort than I am used to experiencing before the crimson tide crashes on to shore. At first I attributed it to my stopping spironolactone, but now I am not so sure. Are you taking a new birth-control? It may be for that reason that the timing is off. 

My Accutane log (with pictures):

http://www.acne.org/...r-accutane-log/

26 y/o female- approx. 54kg
Absorica -40 mg, 1 daily, December 26, 2013 - February, 25, 2014

Absorica - 60 mg, 1 daily. February 26, 2014 -
Probiotic - 1 daily
Fish oil supplement w/ vit D - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Food Grade Rose water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray
Vichy 50+ Capital Soleil Cream for Sensitive Skin

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

Food grade Rose Water - Toner

Aveeno Positively Radiant intensive night cream

Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion- PM

Cerave Moisturizing cream
Avene Cicalfate (as needed)

#28 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

I think if it is the Immaculate Conception, you're probably okay. You've got Mr. Big on your side. :)

Skin care regimen:

#29 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

I think if it is the Immaculate Conception, you're probably okay. You've got Mr. Big on your side. smile.png

I immediately thought of Carrie's emotionally distant love interest from Sex and the City and went "huh?", but then I realized that you may have been referring to the Almighty Mr. Big which makes more sense.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#30 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

Ha ha, yes, I meant the Almighty Mr. Big! Sorry about the confusion; my friends and I tend to use the term "Mr. Big" for the big cheese in whatever context we're using. It can refer to our bosses, the Heavenly Father, or even the bartender who is taking his sweet time mixing our drinks and is therefore a mighty presence in our lives at that moment. :)

Skin care regimen:

#31 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:31 PM

Day 27(?)
So... I'm updating from my phone because I'm too lazy to get up from bed (ah, technology) and I hope nothing gets messed up.
Anyway, I'm really bummed. Got a breakout on my bad cheek. Yup, I have a good cheek and a bad cheek. 5 actives on that one. Two on the better cheek and a huge-monster-truck-volcano on my temple. I honestly have no idea if it's the pills or mother nature's monthly gift or both. I have work in the morning and I just feel like staying in bed forever or at least until I look human again. My scars look terrible and it's just been a rough couple of days for my face. Consider wearing a paper bag on my head for the next 5 months. It'd probably be a good ides since I could customize it and maybe possibly plaster an Emma Stone or Watson face on it.
(Is it just me or every update gets more and more depressing?)

#32 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

I have a bad cheek too! My current bad cheek USED to be my good cheek until it fell in with the wrong crowd. Don't worry - it gets more depressing, and then it gets less depressing. You'll see - don't worry! Also, I know the scarring is a scary thing, however - the accutane dryness thing can really make them look worst then they actually are, so once your skin adjusts and the moisturizers do there job, it will look much better.

One thing that has helped me with making my skin look a little less crypt-keepery and reduces the appearance of scars and fine-lines and other icky skin poop is a couple of drops of quality 100% Moroccan Argan oil in the morning and night after washing my face and before putting on moisturizer. It never broke me out (my skin is pretty sensitive, so if it could have, it would have) - at least, no more than I was already broken out. At the moment I cant quote any wonderful peer-reviewed scientific medical literature as to why it helps over and above plain moisturizer, but it has for me. 

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#33 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Ooh, thanks for the suggestion, Meg! I'll try it!

Day 39 (I just looked at the previous update and apparently it says 27 oh hell naw) - Forget not leaving the house, I'm not leaving the room.
Not gonna be much of an update, more of a rant. A really short rant.
You know it's bad when:
*Not even the Magic Skin filter in your camera app helps
*Your terrible skin is the entire family's laughing stock by the dinner table. AGAIN.

I know I shouldn't care so much, but it just throws me back into the vicious cycle of picking my face. I tend to do that a lot when I'm stressed. But, hey, you can't choose family eh?

Here's a picture of a cat to make this post less depressing and to lighten the mood
tumblr_n3isu4CguG1r2kmppo1_250.jpg

#34 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

Your family JOKES about it? That sucks. Sorry. :( On the bright side, your cat is adorable! Sometimes when my husband and daughter are driving me nuts, I get some quiet time with my sweet, fluffy black kitty. He's just a big old lovable goofball. I like my cat more than I like a LOT of people!

Skin care regimen:

#35 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

No wonder you have such a good sense of humor! I have a strong urge to throat punch anyone who stares at a pimple on my face for an inappropriate amount of time so..kudos for not committing familial violence. 

*serious hat* this stuff is painful. It's great to laugh it off and everything, but there are times when it's totally ok to tell someone their joke isn't funny. Saying "I know you're joking and everything, but these things don't just look bad, they are incredibly incredibly painful. You're laughing at something that physically hurts me right now, I don't know if you know that." Hopefully your family would never laugh at something that causes you pain. 

On the bright side, it gets better! I was still pretty broken out between days 35-45 from the initial flare-up, and then it stopped. I still had breakouts, but they were never as bad as that initial one, and each new breakout was less and less severe. 

As for your picking. Seriously STOP STOP STOP STOP STOP if you have to put gloves on or wear those weird latex finger-condom things or cover all your mirrors like you are mourning the death of a loved one you must do it! I know the white-heads look terrible and are impossible to cover. But even if you pop it, people see it anyway. I know they really really hurt and every time you smile or lay on your pillow or touch your face the pimples scream out for you to put them out of their misery, you mustn't! Accutane makes it much harder for your skin to heal and bounce back from the picking, and you are increasing the chance of secondary infection and scarring. 

To take care of a white head: Let it pop on it's own. Don't squeeze, don't push, don't pull or stick. Just let it die naturally. 

To take care of the pain: Put a hot compress on it. You can make a really good one by taking a tablespoon of cooked rice, putting it in a microwave plastic bag, warm it up in the micro for 20 seconds. The rice will hold onto the heat. wrap a paper towel or wash cloth around the compress and press it onto offending zit for as long as the rice keeps the heat. When the rice cools, warm it up again, and repeat. It will help with swelling and it will help the pain too. Do it for as long as you like, multiple times a day (just be careful not to make it too hot). This trick also does double duty by bringing all the infection in the lower layers of your skin to the top ones, decreasing the time it takes for the zit to pop on its own. 

Also, take some Ibuprofen or another Non-Steroidal anti-inflammatory. That will help with the pain as well. 

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#36 Soaruphigh

Soaruphigh

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey Crimson!

Remember not to pick your skin! When I was your age, I tend to pick them and it has caused immense damage/scarring especially to tender areas such as the nose. Now i'm left with very noticeable atrophic scars around my nose and trust me, I'd do whatever it takes to turn time back and slap my former self for doing that.

Take deep breaths, lie on your bed and trust that tomorrow will be THE day your skin gets better. Being on this pill will definitely eliminate the acne, now you have to do your job to not cause yourself unnecessary scarring. 

You're not in this alone my friend :)

Cheers

#37 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Kim0728 - Cats are the best cure for everything, that's just how it is. I always force my cat into some quality time with me when I'm sad. At least one of us is happy!

megtree - I think people like us deserve some kind of award for not committing any type of homicide. There are just WAY too many people who feel the urge to point out how bad your skin looks.
Problem is, my brother knows exactly where it hurts and just aims there. TIME FOR SILENCE TREATMENT. MIGHT GET CHOCOLATE AS COMPENSATION GIFT. STAY TUNED.
But seriously. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You're now like an older sister to me. Sorry, you can't run away, you've made a deal with Satan.
Soaruphigh - I know about how bad picking skin is! My face is a living proof! It's very hard to control for some reason, but thank you!

Day 42
Well, my skin is starting to calm down and the scars are less visible now. The whole scar thing is like a roller coaster because one day they can look like tiny black holes and the next day it's like someone ran my face over with a steam roller... In a good way.
I think my skin overcame the initial shock of being sahara-desert-dry (my metaphors are on top today) and my nose is feeling... normal? I actually have no idea what normal is. I'm so used to it being either hella oily or (recently) hella dry. We'll see.
My back is the cleanest it ever was, so that's awesome!
Mentally, everything's a whole lot better. I GOT THE JOB, BY THE WAY! Not sitting at home and staring at my acne-ridden face all day does me good. I really like it and hopefully everything goes uphill from here c:

P.S.
Guess what! ANOTHER holiday! *confetti and balloons fall from the ceiling this log apparently has. It's a transparent one, like in Harry Potter. Floating candles included. Wait, no, bad idea. The confetti will catch on fire.*

#38 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

Kim0728 - Cats are the best cure for everything, that's just how it is. I always force my cat into some quality time with me when I'm sad. At least one of us is happy!

I seriously just LOL'ed at this...ha ha!!!

Skin care regimen:

#39 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

megtree - I think people like us deserve some kind of award for not committing any type of homicide. There are just WAY too many people who feel the urge to point out how bad your skin looks.
Problem is, my brother knows exactly where it hurts and just aims there. TIME FOR SILENCE TREATMENT. MIGHT GET CHOCOLATE AS COMPENSATION GIFT. STAY TUNED.
But seriously. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You're now like an older sister to me. Sorry, you can't run away, you've made a deal with Satan.
Soaruphigh - I know about how bad picking skin is! My face is a living proof! It's very hard to control for some reason, but thank you!

Day 42
Well, my skin is starting to calm down and the scars are less visible now. The whole scar thing is like a roller coaster because one day they can look like tiny black holes and the next day it's like someone ran my face over with a steam roller... In a good way.
I think my skin overcame the initial shock of being sahara-desert-dry (my metaphors are on top today) and my nose is feeling... normal? I actually have no idea what normal is. I'm so used to it being either hella oily or (recently) hella dry. We'll see.
My back is the cleanest it ever was, so that's awesome!
Mentally, everything's a whole lot better. I GOT THE JOB, BY THE WAY! Not sitting at home and staring at my acne-ridden face all day does me good. I really like it and hopefully everything goes uphill from here c:

P.S.
Guess what! ANOTHER holiday! *confetti and balloons fall from the ceiling this log apparently has. It's a transparent one, like in Harry Potter. Floating candles included. Wait, no, bad idea. The confetti will catch on fire.*

*Does the happy dance* Congrats on the new job! It definitely helps the state of mind to have somewhere to be and something to do. 

And I have no problem being there if you need me. PM me if you are having a bad day. I'll make a funny joke, and if I can't think of one, I'll send you a video of baby animals doing adorably cute things, or of my dog singing the theme for Star Trek.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#40 Crimson Storm

Crimson Storm

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

Day 52 - Wednesday, bloody Wednesday.
My face roller coaster came to a screeching halt. No new breakouts for now, but I'm guessing I should wait until this month's period comes. Got my first real nosebleed a few days ago! I felt something trickle down my nostril, and thinking it was just some sniffles I blew my nose. Nope, I was horrified to find my hands and a bit of my shirt covered in bloody dots. It healed almost immediately and now it's back to bloody boogers *waves my symbolic balaclava dramatically*
 Almost finished my first moisturizer container and it's been less than 2 months! It's actually not that bad but I dunno if I'm going to continue using it. Also, I ordered a pack of 5 EOS lip balms from ebay and they're supposed to arrive anytime now. Super happy about it, my lips didn't peel once and it smells (and tastes) wonderful (insert dreamy eyes here).
That's about it, sore muscles aside, everything's going great for now c:
Have a lovely day, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users