Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Makeup Type To Hide *real* Scars?

5 posts in this topic

I want to diminish the appearance of my rolling scars. (I've one box-car scar that's impossible to hide, though I try to downplay its depth with makeup.) But I find that liquid makeup tends to settle into my scars after maybe 5-8 hours. :( And several people have said that mineral-powder foundation makes fine lines and scars--as in depressed/damaged areas--look more noticeable.

Is liquid makeup generally better for hiding the uneven appearance caused by scarring? And is there some trick for keeping it--or any type of makeup--from settling into scars and making them look worse as the day wears on?

Thank you,

PI

I agree with whoever said mineral makeup makes lines and scars look more noticable. It's terrible about settling into any indentation. Have you ever tried a cream makeup? They're not as "slippery" as liquid, so they're generally better at not settling. They usually come in a jar or a compact. Applying a primer beforehand also helps any makeup look better, and applying a powder afterwards helps give it staying power.

As you will it, so it shall be.

I agree with whoever said mineral makeup makes lines and scars look more noticable. It's terrible about settling into any indentation. Have you ever tried a cream makeup? They're not as "slippery" as liquid, so they're generally better at not settling. They usually come in a jar or a compact. Applying a primer beforehand also helps any makeup look better, and applying a powder afterwards helps give it staying power.

My skin can't handle anything that isn't an oil-free formula, and I'm of the belief that most cream foundations contain some form of oil. (Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

I may wind up trying Dermablend, though someone told me that it, like many foundations, is prone to "melting" off ones face over the course of a day. *sigh*

As you will it, so it shall be.

I know there's a vegan one by Cover FX that doesn't contain mineral oil, parabens, or sulfates. It's about $40 though, and I've read some reviews saying it's quite heavy. I've read a lot of reviews on Dermablend as well.. it looks like one of those products people either love or loathe. If you can, maybe visit a store and do some patch tests and see what works best for you? Most makeup/department stores have a good return policy as well, so if you try something and hate it you can get a full refund.