dim vitex hormonalacne

46 replies to this topic

#41 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

vitex helped me a lot the first time, a bit less the second round, and third time I had an allergic reaction to it. Won't work for everyone, and won't work every time. Maybe this is why:

"The herb Vitex stimulates progesterone production in the body and therefore helps to balance the hormones.  Experience from many of my clients has shown that taking the herbal tinctures Fem-Mate (contains Vitex) and Chinese Bitters is beneficial to PMS sufferers.  However, if estrogen is high (and not just high in relation to progesterone but high in absolute terms), then Fem-Mate should be taken, only for a few weeks, in order to balance the hormones.  Please note that if you take it for longer than a few weeks, it could actually raise estrogen levels, because Vitex stimulates progesterone production by stimulating the adrenals, which also produce estrogen."

Source: http://www.sensiblehealth.com/Journey-04.xhtml 

Edited by WishClean, 30 July 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#42 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

My doctor called today and she said that my testosterone seems fine and DHEA is only slightly elevated and is nothing to worry about. It might cause my acne but she's not sure.  I asked about spiro but she  wasn't too eager about that. She prescribed me qlaira which is a birth control pill but more natural than say yasmin or diane and shouldn't cause migraines and such (it also says that acne is a common side effect and that scares me a lot). So I'm not too exited about that.. I'm not sure what to do next.

I could try saw palmetto but if my testosterone is normal would it help? I can't start bc for another month anyway so I could give saw palmetto a go before that but I'm really scared.. 

#43 LeksiBabi

LeksiBabi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My kids (2 Boys ages 2 + 7 yrs & one on the way), Art, Drawing, Tattoos, Interior Design, Blogging, Making Websites, Reading (Mostly beauty, self-help, fitness, parenting and health books), Swimming, the Outdoors, Nature, Walking, Taking kids to the park or splash pad, The Beach, Camping, Shopping, Movies, Hanging with Family + Close Friends

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hey I just want to let you know I was taking DIM for about 6 months and it cured my hormonal acne. I used to get big red painful pimples around my chin and mouth and after a few weeks on DIM not ONE came back! I took two a day and got it from Epicbeautybar.com. It's the best product by Pure encapsulations because it contains such a strong dosage of DIM and broccoli extract. I found it helping almost instantly and had clear skin for months. I did however have to stop taking it because I'm pregnant and now my acne is back so I KNOW it helped! Also not eating a lot of dairy and meat can help. I noticed that it REALLY made my acne worse if I ate a lot of cheese or milk products or ate too much meat. And vitex is ok but I didn't notice a drastic improvement. I took both Vitex and DIM but I would say you don't really need the Vitex it just kinda speeds things up. I also take a green tea extract, make sure you get one with 95% polyphenols and above 55 percent egcg or it could be ecgc, I'd have to double check. Green tea is an amazing antioxidant. I was drinking a few cups a day and it helped improve my skin as well as taking two supplements. It cleanses your body!

#44 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Hey I just want to let you know I was taking DIM for about 6 months and it cured my hormonal acne. I used to get big red painful pimples around my chin and mouth and after a few weeks on DIM not ONE came back! I took two a day and got it from Epicbeautybar.com. It's the best product by Pure encapsulations because it contains such a strong dosage of DIM and broccoli extract. I found it helping almost instantly and had clear skin for months. I did however have to stop taking it because I'm pregnant and now my acne is back so I KNOW it helped! Also not eating a lot of dairy and meat can help. I noticed that it REALLY made my acne worse if I ate a lot of cheese or milk products or ate too much meat. And vitex is ok but I didn't notice a drastic improvement. I took both Vitex and DIM but I would say you don't really need the Vitex it just kinda speeds things up. I also take a green tea extract, make sure you get one with 95% polyphenols and above 55 percent egcg or it could be ecgc, I'd have to double check. Green tea is an amazing antioxidant. I was drinking a few cups a day and it helped improve my skin as well as taking two supplements. It cleanses your body!

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad to hear DIM helped you. I tried it before and unfortunately it made me broke out quite bad :/ I guess it just isn't for me. I already am a vegan for ethical reasons so I know animal products aren't the cause of my acne. 

I'm trying to go and get me some saw palmetto extract today. It's worth a shot I guess.. Anyone know what dosage should I get? 

Edited by lifesnotfair, 08 August 2014 - 05:24 AM.

#45 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

I ended up getting 320mg saw palmetto extract. I'm a little scared since it says in the bottle that it is meant for men for prostate care.. But I'm pretty desperate here so I want to give it a try.We'll see what it does!

#46 Soozin12

Soozin12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hey, been reading thru this post and wondering how it's (saw palmetto) going for you? Hope it's going well.

-Susan

#47 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

I figured I'd do a little update  on my skin.
I've been taking Saw palmetto for over a month now and I think it's still early to judge whether it works or not.

Since I've started taking it I feel like I've had more acne but the pimples have been smaller, mostly little red or clear bumps. At the moment I do have one or 2 big painful inflamed pimples but I just got my period so that's probably why.

I haven't really had any side effects except that my boobs were really sore and swollen when I started but that went away in a week.
I think vitex stopped working for me because my cycles have been really irregular for the past 3 months so I stopped taking it. I don't know if sp is affecting it too because my cycle was only 20 days this month when it usually is closer to 40..

I've also done more research on my symptoms(I have night sweats/hot flashes, bad migraines&headaches etc) and figured that i probably have low estrogen. Maybe this is why dim broke me out badly?

Anyway I'm really fed up with my skin and if things won't start to improve soon I think I'll try to go see yet another derm and try to get a prescription for spiro. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet and it seems to help a lot of people. I'm terrified of the idea of an initial break out though..

Edited by lifesnotfair, 13 September 2014 - 07:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users