dim vitex hormonalacne

51 replies to this topic

#41 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

vitex helped me a lot the first time, a bit less the second round, and third time I had an allergic reaction to it. Won't work for everyone, and won't work every time. Maybe this is why:

"The herb Vitex stimulates progesterone production in the body and therefore helps to balance the hormones.  Experience from many of my clients has shown that taking the herbal tinctures Fem-Mate (contains Vitex) and Chinese Bitters is beneficial to PMS sufferers.  However, if estrogen is high (and not just high in relation to progesterone but high in absolute terms), then Fem-Mate should be taken, only for a few weeks, in order to balance the hormones.  Please note that if you take it for longer than a few weeks, it could actually raise estrogen levels, because Vitex stimulates progesterone production by stimulating the adrenals, which also produce estrogen."

Source: http://www.sensiblehealth.com/Journey-04.xhtml 

Edited by WishClean, 30 July 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#42 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

My doctor called today and she said that my testosterone seems fine and DHEA is only slightly elevated and is nothing to worry about. It might cause my acne but she's not sure.  I asked about spiro but she  wasn't too eager about that. She prescribed me qlaira which is a birth control pill but more natural than say yasmin or diane and shouldn't cause migraines and such (it also says that acne is a common side effect and that scares me a lot). So I'm not too exited about that.. I'm not sure what to do next.

I could try saw palmetto but if my testosterone is normal would it help? I can't start bc for another month anyway so I could give saw palmetto a go before that but I'm really scared.. 

#43 LeksiBabi

LeksiBabi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My kids (2 Boys ages 2 + 7 yrs & one on the way), Art, Drawing, Tattoos, Interior Design, Blogging, Making Websites, Reading (Mostly beauty, self-help, fitness, parenting and health books), Swimming, the Outdoors, Nature, Walking, Taking kids to the park or splash pad, The Beach, Camping, Shopping, Movies, Hanging with Family + Close Friends

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hey I just want to let you know I was taking DIM for about 6 months and it cured my hormonal acne. I used to get big red painful pimples around my chin and mouth and after a few weeks on DIM not ONE came back! I took two a day and got it from Epicbeautybar.com. It's the best product by Pure encapsulations because it contains such a strong dosage of DIM and broccoli extract. I found it helping almost instantly and had clear skin for months. I did however have to stop taking it because I'm pregnant and now my acne is back so I KNOW it helped! Also not eating a lot of dairy and meat can help. I noticed that it REALLY made my acne worse if I ate a lot of cheese or milk products or ate too much meat. And vitex is ok but I didn't notice a drastic improvement. I took both Vitex and DIM but I would say you don't really need the Vitex it just kinda speeds things up. I also take a green tea extract, make sure you get one with 95% polyphenols and above 55 percent egcg or it could be ecgc, I'd have to double check. Green tea is an amazing antioxidant. I was drinking a few cups a day and it helped improve my skin as well as taking two supplements. It cleanses your body!

#44 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Hey I just want to let you know I was taking DIM for about 6 months and it cured my hormonal acne. I used to get big red painful pimples around my chin and mouth and after a few weeks on DIM not ONE came back! I took two a day and got it from Epicbeautybar.com. It's the best product by Pure encapsulations because it contains such a strong dosage of DIM and broccoli extract. I found it helping almost instantly and had clear skin for months. I did however have to stop taking it because I'm pregnant and now my acne is back so I KNOW it helped! Also not eating a lot of dairy and meat can help. I noticed that it REALLY made my acne worse if I ate a lot of cheese or milk products or ate too much meat. And vitex is ok but I didn't notice a drastic improvement. I took both Vitex and DIM but I would say you don't really need the Vitex it just kinda speeds things up. I also take a green tea extract, make sure you get one with 95% polyphenols and above 55 percent egcg or it could be ecgc, I'd have to double check. Green tea is an amazing antioxidant. I was drinking a few cups a day and it helped improve my skin as well as taking two supplements. It cleanses your body!

Thanks for your comment! I'm glad to hear DIM helped you. I tried it before and unfortunately it made me broke out quite bad :/ I guess it just isn't for me. I already am a vegan for ethical reasons so I know animal products aren't the cause of my acne. 

I'm trying to go and get me some saw palmetto extract today. It's worth a shot I guess.. Anyone know what dosage should I get? 

Edited by lifesnotfair, 08 August 2014 - 05:24 AM.

#45 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:13 AM

I ended up getting 320mg saw palmetto extract. I'm a little scared since it says in the bottle that it is meant for men for prostate care.. But I'm pretty desperate here so I want to give it a try.We'll see what it does!

#46 Soozin12

Soozin12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hey, been reading thru this post and wondering how it's (saw palmetto) going for you? Hope it's going well.

-Susan

#47 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

I figured I'd do a little update  on my skin.
I've been taking Saw palmetto for over a month now and I think it's still early to judge whether it works or not.

Since I've started taking it I feel like I've had more acne but the pimples have been smaller, mostly little red or clear bumps. At the moment I do have one or 2 big painful inflamed pimples but I just got my period so that's probably why.

I haven't really had any side effects except that my boobs were really sore and swollen when I started but that went away in a week.
I think vitex stopped working for me because my cycles have been really irregular for the past 3 months so I stopped taking it. I don't know if sp is affecting it too because my cycle was only 20 days this month when it usually is closer to 40..

I've also done more research on my symptoms(I have night sweats/hot flashes, bad migraines&headaches etc) and figured that i probably have low estrogen. Maybe this is why dim broke me out badly?

Anyway I'm really fed up with my skin and if things won't start to improve soon I think I'll try to go see yet another derm and try to get a prescription for spiro. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet and it seems to help a lot of people. I'm terrified of the idea of an initial break out though..

Edited by lifesnotfair, 13 September 2014 - 07:10 AM.

#48 Soozin12

Soozin12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

@lifesnotfair I'm sorry to hear you are struggling. 

AND...this may not be what you want to hear, but I wouldn't recommend spiro.
I was on it for almost exactly 1 year, & while it cleared my hormonal breakouts, coming off of it has been pretty miserable.

I just don't want to see another young woman like myself being elated by the results, with the potential for very serious side effects (staring or discontinuing spiro) :(

My prescribed dose was 50mg x2 daily, but usually, I only took the 50mg in the morning, only ever used 100mg if I was feeling extra breaky-outy. Like, if I had eaten dairy or sugar or a butt load of refined carbs/alcohol or something.

But, when I actually took the time to look into what exactly this was doing to my body, and the possibility of some nasty side effects, I decided I'd see how my body was going to do without it. Start back at square one so to speak. Like, really square one. No benzoyl peroxide as the side effects scared me away from that too.

Sooo, stopped taking it at the end of June.. I had forgotten to take it a few times in a span of maybe two weeks (and had already been thinking about quitting) So I weaned myself off in maybe 3 weeks time. Truthfully, I should have taken a longer time to wean myself off of it, as I've read a lot about it being REALLY hard on the body if it's done quickly. Didn't know that before hand..

Either way, the first 1.5-2 months off were totally peachy, aside from my period being 1 day early (been on BC for 6 years with success, as I started taking it for painful periods and it helped loads. My period is always like clockwork). I was pretty shocked, as I had been off of benzoyl as well for probably 3-4 months at this point as well, and figured my skin would have freaked out by then..

But, UHG, in the middle of August I got my period a week early along with the largest cyst I have ever had on my chin. I knew this was going to be the beginning of a freakin' battle with my body.

Started looking for other woman who had any sort of a similar experience and found more than I thought i would:

http://www.askapatie...=SPIRONOLACTONE

Just gnarly side effects.

Since then I've been sing a naturopath and doing hours of my own research online concerning hormonal imbalances, causes, you name it.

Asked my naturopath what she advised for these types of hormonal breakouts, and she recommended B6, 200mg during my luteal phase (or about 2 weeks before menstruation). Sort of tentative about taking 200mg of any B vitamin, personally.

So I wanted to do a little of my own research and looked and looked for any studies or anecdotes praising B6 as any sort of hormonal cure, and didn't find much. But I stumbled upon information about zinc, and quite a few ladies saying that it helped immensely. Especially Optizinc (30mg Zinc, 20mg of B6)

Bought some yesterday, will let you know how it turns out.

Sorry for THE LONGEST POST EVER, I just wanted to inform you of my experience with spiro and my potential plan for help with my poor, angry, hormonal face.

#49 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

I was on it for almost exactly 1 year, & while it cleared my hormonal breakouts, coming off of it has been pretty miserable.

I just don't want to see another young woman like myself being elated by the results, with the potential for very serious side effects (staring or discontinuing spiro) sad.png

My prescribed dose was 50mg x2 daily, but usually, I only took the 50mg in the morning, only ever used 100mg if I was feeling extra breaky-outy. Like, if I had eaten dairy or sugar or a butt load of refined carbs/alcohol or something.

But, when I actually took the time to look into what exactly this was doing to my body, and the possibility of some nasty side effects, I decided I'd see how my body was going to do without it. Start back at square one so to speak. Like, really square one. No benzoyl peroxide as the side effects scared me away from that too.

Sooo, stopped taking it at the end of June.. I had forgotten to take it a few times in a span of maybe two weeks (and had already been thinking about quitting) So I weaned myself off in maybe 3 weeks time. Truthfully, I should have taken a longer time to wean myself off of it, as I've read a lot about it being REALLY hard on the body if it's done quickly. Didn't know that before hand..

Either way, the first 1.5-2 months off were totally peachy, aside from my period being 1 day early (been on BC for 6 years with success, as I started taking it for painful periods and it helped loads. My period is always like clockwork). I was pretty shocked, as I had been off of benzoyl as well for probably 3-4 months at this point as well, and figured my skin would have freaked out by then..

But, UHG, in the middle of August I got my period a week early along with the largest cyst I have ever had on my chin. I knew this was going to be the beginning of a freakin' battle with my body.

Started looking for other woman who had any sort of a similar experience and found more than I thought i would:

Since then I've been sing a naturopath and doing hours of my own research online concerning hormonal imbalances, causes, you name it.

Asked my naturopath what she advised for these types of hormonal breakouts, and she recommended B6, 200mg during my luteal phase (or about 2 weeks before menstruation). Sort of tentative about taking 200mg of any B vitamin, personally.

So I wanted to do a little of my own research and looked and looked for any studies or anecdotes praising B6 as any sort of hormonal cure, and didn't find much. But I stumbled upon information about zinc, and quite a few ladies saying that it helped immensely. Especially Optizinc (30mg Zinc, 20mg of B6)

Sorry for THE LONGEST POST EVER, I just wanted to inform you of my experience with spiro and my potential plan for help with my poor, angry, hormonal face.

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask you why you wanted to quit spiro in the first place if it was working for you and you didn't have any side effects?

I know taking any medicine isn't ideal and I wish things would just go back to the way they were before I took the plan b. But it's been 3 years now and breakouts still going strong. I'll only end up with more and more scarring if I don't do anything about it and it's already depressing enough as it is.. So I'm willing to try spiro if only I can find a doctor who prescribes it. I understand that if you want to keep the hormones balanced (with any drug spiro/bc) you'll probably have to be on it for the rest of your life..

Good luck with the zinc I hope it helps you! I've been taking 15 mg a day for years now and I don't think it's doing anything for my skin. I tried taking larger dozes of it before and ended up throwing up all night so definitely don't recommend that..

#50 Soozin12

Soozin12

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

I just don't want to see another young woman like myself being elated by the results, with the potential for very serious side effects (staring or discontinuing spiro)

Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry to hear that. Can I ask you why you wanted to quit spiro in the first place if it was working for you and you didn't have any side effects?

I know taking any medicine isn't ideal and I wish things would just go back to the way they were before I took the plan b. But it's been 3 years now and breakouts still going strong. I'll only end up with more and more scarring if I don't do anything about it and it's already depressing enough as it is.. So I'm willing to try spiro if only I can find a doctor who prescribes it. I understand that if you want to keep the hormones balanced (with any drug spiro/bc) you'll probably have to be on it for the rest of your life..

Good luck with the zinc I hope it helps you! I've been taking 15 mg a day for years now and I don't think it's doing anything for my skin. I tried taking larger dozes of it before and ended up throwing up all night so definitely don't recommend that..

The reason I stopped taking Spiro is because of the side effects of discontinuing..funny reason to discontinue a drug, right? (albeit these are 'potential' side effects, the thought of long-time use freaked me out) & basically because I wanted to see where by body was at hormonally, without taking anything in addition to my birth control pill (been on it 6 years and really don't want to mess with the hormonal fluctuation that will occur from making any changes in that department).

I'm trying to be as natural as I can with my skin care, diet and otherwise. So I figured I'd take the plunge and get rid of the Spiro.

If you are educated about the medication and find a doctor that you trust, I don't want to scare you away from trying something that will work.

Especially when dealing with scarring, I know how painful and frustrating it is to have to deal with active acne and scarring as well. NO FUN. Concerning that though..have you tried aloe vera for moisturizer? I find it helps redness a lot! 

My acne was never severe, I feel that vanity caused me to make most of my decisions when it came to skin, and now I'm trying to correct the damage I've caused (I was prescribed Bactrim, preceding Spiro, by a dermatologist who looked at me for about 30 seconds. I never researched the drug and came to find out it is a HARDCORE antibiotic, I've been dealing with digestive and candida issues since)

Just please don't make my mistake and listen to everything they are telling you without doing your own research. 

Oh and...The zinc you are taking, is it zinc monomethionine? This form is much, much easier for the body to absorb. and I haven't gotten one stomach ache since starting. Also, I feel that I've seen a bit of reduction in inflammation, as in, my face is less pissed off looking. Still have some painful breakouts though, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the zinc. If I see no further improvement in the next 2 weeks, I am going to start Calcium D Glucarate next month.

So again, I hope I didn't scare you off from Spiro completely, just make sure you are well informed.

Best of luck with everything. Let me know how you're doing when you can!

-Susan

#51 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

I figured I'd do a little update  on my skin.
I've been taking Saw palmetto for over a month now and I think it's still early to judge whether it works or not.

Since I've started taking it I feel like I've had more acne but the pimples have been smaller, mostly little red or clear bumps. At the moment I do have one or 2 big painful inflamed pimples but I just got my period so that's probably why.

I haven't really had any side effects except that my boobs were really sore and swollen when I started but that went away in a week.
I think vitex stopped working for me because my cycles have been really irregular for the past 3 months so I stopped taking it. I don't know if sp is affecting it too because my cycle was only 20 days this month when it usually is closer to 40..

I've also done more research on my symptoms(I have night sweats/hot flashes, bad migraines&headaches etc) and figured that i probably have low estrogen. Maybe this is why dim broke me out badly?

Anyway I'm really fed up with my skin and if things won't start to improve soon I think I'll try to go see yet another derm and try to get a prescription for spiro. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet and it seems to help a lot of people. I'm terrified of the idea of an initial break out though..

Spiro is an anti-androgen like saw palmetto, although spiro is a lot stronger and spiro also increases estrogen some.

So saw palmetto = less androgens

Spiro = a lot less androgens + more estrogen

I find estrogen is generally beneficial for the skin. It's anti-inflammatory, and if you take spiro or estrogen long enough you'll find that it sort of softens the skin and your facial features a bit. My whole face is more feminine now after a few years on spiro, even though I weigh less now than when I started. Although I think androgens are the main culprit, remember that estrogen competes with androgens for the same receptors, so if you increase estrogen you're also fighting the androgens that way as well. 

If you can't find a doctor to prescribe spiro, you can try giving your skin a little kick with over the counter estrogen cream. Some women apply it on the face, but really the point is to apply it somewhere with good veins so you it can get into your bloodstream. I like to apply to the wrists or the decollatege area.

#52 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

Spiro is an anti-androgen like saw palmetto, although spiro is a lot stronger and spiro also increases estrogen some.

So saw palmetto = less androgens

Spiro = a lot less androgens + more estrogen

I find estrogen is generally beneficial for the skin. It's anti-inflammatory, and if you take spiro or estrogen long enough you'll find that it sort of softens the skin and your facial features a bit. My whole face is more feminine now after a few years on spiro, even though I weigh less now than when I started. Although I think androgens are the main culprit, remember that estrogen competes with androgens for the same receptors, so if you increase estrogen you're also fighting the androgens that way as well. 

If you can't find a doctor to prescribe spiro, you can try giving your skin a little kick with over the counter estrogen cream. Some women apply it on the face, but really the point is to apply it somewhere with good veins so you it can get into your bloodstream. I like to apply to the wrists or the decollatege area.

I decided it was a good time to go see a derm since I'm really broken out (been eating a lot of sugar and not sleeping well..) He was really nice and took me seriously and seemed to be genuinely interested. I briefly told him my history and he admitted that I have pretty much tried everything. He said that we have to get it treated and did gave me a 6 months course of spiro!! I'm scared and excited at the same time(scared it won't work/will make my skin worse) but I won't know without trying. I'll have to take a blood test in 4 months to see if everything's okay. He said to take the drug in the morning with food and drink plenty, but I don't have to avoid any foods etc. I'll start with 50mg and work my way up to 100mg.

What I'm wondering is this: if my testosterone is normal how will spiro help me? But I guess the blood tests aren't always reliable and if my DHEA was high maybe spiro will help lower that too..

The reason I stopped taking Spiro is because of the side effects of discontinuing..funny reason to discontinue a drug, right? (albeit these are 'potential' side effects, the thought of long-time use freaked me out) & basically because I wanted to see where by body was at hormonally, without taking anything in addition to my birth control pill (been on it 6 years and really don't want to mess with the hormonal fluctuation that will occur from making any changes in that department).

I'm trying to be as natural as I can with my skin care, diet and otherwise. So I figured I'd take the plunge and get rid of the Spiro.

If you are educated about the medication and find a doctor that you trust, I don't want to scare you away from trying something that will work.

Especially when dealing with scarring, I know how painful and frustrating it is to have to deal with active acne and scarring as well. NO FUN. Concerning that though..have you tried aloe vera for moisturizer? I find it helps redness a lot! 

My acne was never severe, I feel that vanity caused me to make most of my decisions when it came to skin, and now I'm trying to correct the damage I've caused (I was prescribed Bactrim, preceding Spiro, by a dermatologist who looked at me for about 30 seconds. I never researched the drug and came to find out it is a HARDCORE antibiotic, I've been dealing with digestive and candida issues since)

Just please don't make my mistake and listen to everything they are telling you without doing your own research. 

Oh and...The zinc you are taking, is it zinc monomethionine? This form is much, much easier for the body to absorb. and I haven't gotten one stomach ache since starting. Also, I feel that I've seen a bit of reduction in inflammation, as in, my face is less pissed off looking. Still have some painful breakouts though, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for the zinc. If I see no further improvement in the next 2 weeks, I am going to start Calcium D Glucarate next month.

So again, I hope I didn't scare you off from Spiro completely, just make sure you are well informed.

Best of luck with everything. Let me know how you're doing when you can!

-Susan

Okay I understand. I don't feel right taking any medicine either and would much prefer a natural remedy. But I feel like I'm waisting my life because of my skin. I don't want to go out or do anything really and feel depressed about it all the time. I guess after all taking meds is a better alternative for me.

I' not sure what type of zinc I take but I don't have a problem with 15mg. I'm glad to hear it's going well for you and also I think with any kind of natural treatment it will take a lot of time before noticing a difference.

Thanks for being so nice and supportive! Good luck to you as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users