36 replies to this topic

#21 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

I'm just going to keep updating my situation here as a personal log smile.png

So I had my blood test done on friday and the results should be back in 1-2 weeks. My skin has been REALLY bad lately and I don't know if it was the DIM that triggered it or what. I also stopped taking vitex a while ago because i wanted my hormones to be "in their natural state" when taking the blood test. I started taking it again after the test.. I have 5 big cysts on my cheeks and a ton of smaller zits too. My chest is also a mess and bp that used to help with it doesn't seem to be doing much anymore. I'm really depressed about this. Just when my old scarring was fading awayI get a ton more.. GREAT! 

Anyway I hope the test result will at least show something helpful 

Edited by lifesnotfair, 28 June 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#22 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:45 AM

Skin is just getting worse.. I wake up with new brake outs every day. And they're all the deep painful cystic kind too. I already got a lot of new scars that will take years to fade. topicals doesn't seem to be helping much. I got my prolactin come back normal and testo was also in the normal rage although in the higher end. I'm still waiting for the rest of my results before calling my doctor.

I really hope that this is just a phase... I can't leave the house with this face:(

#23 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Skin is just getting worse.. I wake up with new brake outs every day. And they're all the deep painful cystic kind too. I already got a lot of new scars that will take years to fade. topicals doesn't seem to be helping much. I got my prolactin come back normal and testo was also in the normal rage although in the higher end. I'm still waiting for the rest of my results before calling my doctor.

I really hope that this is just a phase... I can't leave the house with this face:(

sorry to hear that. IF it helps, I find lactic acid peels to be helpful for everything: pigmentation, scarring, and acne. IF you can't afford them, then try a yogurt and honey mask. 

If your testosterone is in the high-normal range, then it's likely you have an androgen sensitivity. The normal range is far too broad to cover everyone's needs. 

#24 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thank you WishClean!
I was going to try dermarolling for my old indented scars before this break out. Obviously I cant do that now with the active acne but hopefully if my skin ever calms down I can give it a go. 

Yeah I haven't talked to my doctor yet but that's what i thought too. My testo was 70 and they say anywhere between 19-100 is normal. They also tested my DHEA and Andro(both androgens) but i haven't gotten the results back yet.. If androgens are my problem then maybe Spiro would help. That's pretty much the only thing I haven't tried yet biggrin.png But I'll have to talk to my doctor once I have all the results and see what she thinks. I just hate this waiting...

Edited by lifesnotfair, 04 July 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#25 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

So I finally got all the results back and my DHEA level is twice as high as it should be. Testosterone is also on the higher end although still in normal range. My doctor is on vacation so I can't call her yet but at least now I know what's causing me trouble. Hopefully she'll be able to fix it too. 
I'm still breaking out but the vitex seems to be helping a little. Definitely not clear at all but better than it was a few weeks ago.

#26 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

High DHEA is concerning...you may want to look up the thread on Plan B on this forum, I think the girl who posted it also had high DHEA and she has made a lot of progress without taking any medications. 

Ask your doctor about inositol (which he will probably know nothing about, unfortch) and DIM (which he might know something about maybe)...those could help you out alongside vitex. 

If vitex is working, you could try to SLOWLY increase the dosage. Tincture works better in most cases. Make sure you are using a reliable brand...there is a lot of bad quality vitex out there.

#27 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

High DHEA is concerning...you may want to look up the thread on Plan B on this forum, I think the girl who posted it also had high DHEA and she has made a lot of progress without taking any medications. 

Ask your doctor about inositol (which he will probably know nothing about, unfortch) and DIM (which he might know something about maybe)...those could help you out alongside vitex. 

If vitex is working, you could try to SLOWLY increase the dosage. Tincture works better in most cases. Make sure you are using a reliable brand...there is a lot of bad quality vitex out there.

I actually read the whole thing already since plan B also started my problems i thought it would be helpful :) Maybe the plan B messes with your DHEA levels I don't know. My doctor said taking it wouldn't be connected with my acne but who knows! Unfortunately I've already tried pretty much everything she mentioned.

I actually just noticed that the multivitamin I take also has 50 mg inositol in it. How much should you take for it to work? I also tried DIM and it broke me out quite badly for 2 months. I'll have to see what my doctor has to say. too bad she's on vacation for another 2 weeks -.-

I take Nature's way Vitex fruit. It had good reviews so I think it's alright. I take 800 mg maybe I'll try increasing it and see what happens!

#28 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

I actually read the whole thing already since plan B also started my problems i thought it would be helpful smile.png Maybe the plan B messes with your DHEA levels I don't know. My doctor said taking it wouldn't be connected with my acne but who knows! Unfortunately I've already tried pretty much everything she mentioned.

I actually just noticed that the multivitamin I take also has 50 mg inositol in it. How much should you take for it to work? I also tried DIM and it broke me out quite badly for 2 months. I'll have to see what my doctor has to say. too bad she's on vacation for another 2 weeks -.-

I take Nature's way Vitex fruit. It had good reviews so I think it's alright. I take 800 mg maybe I'll try increasing it and see what happens!

yeah, nature's way seems to be good. I only have experience with liquid vitex...you may want to check how much others are taking to see if it would work for you better at a higher dose.

I took it along with acidophilus in the morning, and I also took a multivitamin and evening primrose oil. Sometimes vitex works better synergistically.

Also, needless to say you need to control your insulin levels and avoid too much sugar, dairy, and soy. 

#29 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

yeah, nature's way seems to be good. I only have experience with liquid vitex...you may want to check how much others are taking to see if it would work for you better at a higher dose.

I took it along with acidophilus in the morning, and I also took a multivitamin and evening primrose oil. Sometimes vitex works better synergistically.

Also, needless to say you need to control your insulin levels and avoid too much sugar, dairy, and soy. 

Yeah thanks I'll look into that! So far I've just done what the bottle says and took the 800 mg.

I've never heard of evening primrose oil I'll check that out.
I personally don't really believe that diet makes much of a difference. I used to eat tons of crappy foods and never break out before taking the paln B. I'm a vegan now for reasons other than my skin so I don't eat any dairy but soy is a big part of my diet. I haven't notice any difference in my skin since starting this diet.

#30 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Forgive me if I'm missing something in an earlier post (only reading the last page because I'm on my phone not computer) but what about saw palmetto? I've never tried it but it has favourable reviews.
WishClean, does inositol help with DHEA?
I was thinking if trying this lactic acid (http://www.pureandsi...rch=Lactic acid) for my red marks, what do you think?

#31 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Forgive me if I'm missing something in an earlier post (only reading the last page because I'm on my phone not computer) but what about saw palmetto? I've never tried it but it has favourable reviews.
I was thinking if trying this lactic acid (http://www.pureandsi...rch=Lactic acid) for my red marks, what do you think?

I'm not sure what helps with DHEA...it seems that everything helps lower DHEA only indirectly. 

Hmm the link you posted isn't working for me... what are the ingredients? I never ordered a peel online, I prefer to either have an esthetician apply it or buy it from a doctor's office just to be safe (e.g. expiration date, etc). But really, plain yogurt also does the trick, it's my cheap version of lactic acid.

#32 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.
Interesting about DHEA.
I'm sorry the link didn't work, I'll post it again at the end of the post-- I have had issues viewing the site in the Internet Explorer browser (Chrome is better).
Is it OK to use yogurt on your skin even though acne sufferers are supposed to avoid dairy?
http://www.pureandsi...rch=Lactic acid

I'm not sure what helps with DHEA...it seems that everything helps lower DHEA only indirectly. 
Hmm the link you posted isn't working for me... what are the ingredients? I never ordered a peel online, I prefer to either have an esthetician apply it or buy it from a doctor's office just to be safe (e.g. expiration date, etc). But really, plain yogurt also does the trick, it's my cheap version of lactic acid.

#33 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

ahh I can see the link now. It seems that there's more algae than lactic acid in the product, but it has very few ingredients so the risk of breakouts would be much less. It seems to be a good product, let me know if you decide to try it.

Well, yogurt  (plain one) works differently on the skin than internally...it has lactic acid in it, but the peels & exfoliants have a higher concentrated % of lactic acid, that's why they can be more effective. 

#34 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

I haven't tried saw palmetto but I've heard it works similar to spiro so maybe it would help me. I want to talk to my doctor before trying anything new, I don't want to make things any worse by adding things I'm not sure of :) From what I've read I got the impression that spiro only works for high testosterone and I don't seem to have a problem with that. But then again I'm not a doctor so I'll have to wait till my endo gets back from her vacation. Soo frustrating..

#35 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Lifesnotfair,
Do you think the vitex or the DIM is ultimately making things worse for you? I have been using a calander to mark my cycle and breakouts; this might help you have a clear picture when you go to your doctor.
Thanks WishClean. That makes sense about the yogurt, I just wasn't sure since my skin is so sensitive. I'll repost if I order the lactic acid.
Do you use any spot treatments when you get a flare up? When you get a cystic breakout, how long does it take to go away?
I also took the morning after pill as a teenager, but could that really cause problems so many years later, I'm 30 now? I also took bc on and off for years and I attributed that to the escalation of my acne from minor pimples to nodular/cystic acne.

#36 lifesnotfair

lifesnotfair

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

DIM broke me out pretty badly and I quit taking it after 2 months. Maybe I should have stayed on it longer but I couldn't bare it. After that my skin has broken out more than usual. I started taking vitex when quitting the bcp to avoid any crazy flare up and I'm not sure if it helped but my skin stayed the same that it was on the pill up until now(6 months later). at least it didn't make it worse smile.png 
That's a good idea and I tried marking my break outs down before but for me there's no specific time when I break out. I get pimples all around the cycle.. 
My endo said that taking the pill shouldn't be connected with acne and it was just a coincident that I got it after taking the pill. i've probably always have had an underlaying hormone imbalance. I don't know what to believe because to me going from perfect skin to severe acne in a few months after taking the pill seems pretty obvious.. But if you've taken it years ago I don't think it's related. Then again hormones work in mysterious ways so I don't know biggrin.png

I'm not sure if that question was addressed to me but I use 2,5% Bp cream all over my face/chest/back and Clindamycin lotion on active spots. I mostly get these big inflamed puss filled pimples (so gross) I don't know if they're considered cysts or not but they can take weeks to go, if I can resist popping them that is..

Edited by lifesnotfair, 17 July 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#37 Snog

Snog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:just messing around

Posted Yesterday, 05:18 AM

Does saw palmetto really work for males? Looks like it works for womens only, I barely have found something positive posted by males. The only men here who had success with saw palmetto was arqa22. Anyone know something more? Anyway I'm gonna try to use it for month or so. I have never tried hormonal therapy for my acne before. Accutane/antibiotics/diets didn't do anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users