Regimen Blog (Started 03/27/2014)

2 replies to this topic

#1 Duckoyo

Duckoyo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hey Acne.org, my name's Michael. I've recently started the regimen, so I thought I would start my own little blog here to track my progress and perhaps get some advice when things don't go to plan (which is likely I'm guessing!). I've attached my starting photos.

So I've struggled with facial acne since I was about 10 years old. I'm now 18. Currently my skin is pretty varied, sometimes it'll be extremely bad for example I just had a horrific jawline breakout (for which you can now see the aftermath in my starting photos) and other times it'll cool down and I'll just have the acne marks and mild acne with the occasional cyst. In those years I don't think I've been anywhere near 100% acne free.

Regarding treatment, I've tried nearly everything except Accutane. My last experience with benzoyl peroxide was pretty nasty. I was instructed by my GP to wash my face thoroughly and then apply generously the 10% BP he had given me, leave it to 'soak' over night and be sure not to put moisturiser on otherwise it'll prevent it from working! As you can imagine I ended up with extremely painful, irritated and burnt skin (much worse than I've experienced on the regimen as of yet). What awful advice. I've since realised that my skin really needs hydration and the damage of irritation from rough cleansing and so on, who knew rolleyes.gif !

When I came across the regimen it made a lot of sense to me and here I am giving it a determined try.

So without further ado,

Day 1

Everything appeared to go well. I use Witch's Foam Cleanser which I've checked against various comedogenic/irritation lists and all seems to be well. The BP went on very easily thanks to Dan's super spreadable but quickly absorbent gel, this is clearly a well thought out product! I then went ahead and generously applied Simple's Light Moisturiser. In the morning I'm just cleansing and generously applying moisturiser. Topping up on moisturiser if my skin is feeling dry. I will note if what I'm doing before the evening regimen changes.

Day 2

So in the morning I had woken up with redness and irritation, it being worse around the mouth and on the chin (which is also where I usually get acne). Also a cyst decided to rear it's head on my chin although I'm not so bothered about that as getting used to the BP is the priority at the moment! I think I went a bit too heavy on the BP. I reduced the BP to a more of a ¼ pump, I think I may have applied about a ¾ pump the night before. I then went ahead and applied some slightly comedogenic (max rating of 2 in the ingredients) castor oil and zinc baby moisturiser instead of the Simple stuff as that had worked well to reduce irritation for me in the past. Going to bed the castor oil and zinc seemed to have soothed my skin and thankfully I was able to sleep well.

Day 3

Again my skin was still red and irritated just not as bad! I went ahead and applied the smaller amount of BP again and applied the castor oil and zinc baby cream to keep irritation minimal for the purpose of sleep.

Day 4

My skin was far less irritated today. It's now more of a pleasant summer tan than ripened tomato tone. However dryness had started to kick in. I had reapplied jojoba oil plus the Simple moisturiser four times throughout the day to combat dryness. This evening it was more difficult to apply the small amount of BP as the skin was flaking away as I went although the flakes seem to go away nicely after the Simple moisturiser and jojoba oil (I'm adding adding about 5 drops per teaspoon of cream). I can feel it drying up already though about an hour after application so I'll be re-moisutring with Simple and jojoba oil before bed. I'm guessing this flaking is perhaps due to the unhelpful start of too much BP. I think I'm going to stick with the small amount of BP for the next few days and moisturise when needed but any pointers would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading and I'll post updates when I can. smile.png

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-03-27 20.58.00.jpg
  • 2014-03-27 20.58.39.jpg

#2 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Topic moved to the regimen logs forum

Good luck with your regimen journey! :) Following it closely and being patient is key!

#3 Duckoyo

Duckoyo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

Day 5

Almost no sign of redness today and the dryness is easing off! Lots of tiny pimples popping up everywhere though. I've worked my way back up to the half pump.

Day 6

Again, no redness and I only felt need the need to top up on moisturiser once. Pimples seem to be coming and going very fast. Yesterday's breakouts are not very visible but have been replaced by different breakouts. I assume this is the 'purge' or something.

Day 7

Skin seems to have settled with no need to top up on moisturiser. Pimples continue to come and go. If skin is still the same tomorrow I'll go ahead and up the BP.

Day 8

My skin was still settled like yesterday. So I've upped the BP by a pea size this evening and will continue a steady climb to the full amount unless my skin really complains. Fingers crossed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users