Hi everyone, this is my first post on acne.org so I hope I've gone about the right way in asking my question!
I'm 18 years old. Up until my 18th birthday, I had pretty decent skin. A couple of pimples here and there, but no biggie. Then I turned 18 and started breaking out like mad. I was starting the final year of school, was applying for university and was going through a big break-up, so I guess in hindsight, the stress may have caused the spots.
Anyway, I wanted to do something about my acne and I also wanted to go on birth control to regulate my periods, so I was prescribed dianette. Initially, nothing happened - then my break outs got insanely bad. New pimples every day and new scars every day. Not just hyperpigmentation, but quite a few ice pick scars as well
Anyway, I decided to carry on with the dianette and got a series of glycolic peels for my hyperpigmentation. The peels helped my hyperpigmentation, but since I was still getting pretty inflamed acne, I went back to my GP who prescribed me Duac. I used it for a week but the benzoyl peroxide burned and dried out my skin horribly, so I stopped using it.
I'm now just coming to the end of my 5th pack of dianette. Tbh I'm quite sick of using acne products and I don't like taking pills every day. So here are my questions...
1) I've heard hormonal acne occurs mainly around the chin and jaw, but I get most of my spots on my upper cheek. My jaw is pretty clear. If my acne isn't hormonal, is there any point carrying on with dianette? Does dianette only helped hormone-related acne or will it help my cheek spots? Oh and what causes cheek spots?
2) Did I go in too far and too fast for acne that was once only mild? I'm pretty sure the initial breakout from the dianette was worse than any level of acne I've ever had
3) Should I just stop the dianette and just stick to a gentle skincare regime instead? Has this ever worked for anyone with mild acne? Or should I consider oral antibiotics?
4) I seemed to have got very dry skin, even after stopping duac. Is this due to the dianette? And is the dry skin making my acne worse or making me more prone to scarring?
5) My ice pick scars are pretty shallow and I guess I'm still quite young. Will they fill in over time?
6) I feel like I'm obsessing about my skin and I'm just starting to irritate everyone around me, including myself. How do I stop?!
I apologise for the length of this post, but I feel like this is the only place I can rant and not be judged for caring so much about my skin! Thanks in advance for any replies and thank you for reading