16 replies to this topic

#1 eveum

eveum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

I know that sucrose has no nutritional benefits and that it's terrible for my skin and my weight. I am willing to try eating no added sugar in my diet, it's going to be so hard and I'm not sure what I actually need to avoid. :I

I don't really eat a conventional diet to begin with, I don't eat pasta, very rarely eat bread or cereals, very rarely consume dairy products, no red meat, quite a lot of fruit/vegetables, and loads of sugar. I'd like to cut out the last part, I'm pretty much fine with everything else.

Am I still okay to eat honey and fruits and the occasional dairy product or anything else with natural sugars? I know dairy is meant to be bad for acne but I very rarely eat it.

#2 LeadingForce

LeadingForce

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

even natural sugar is bad

#3 eveum

eveum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

But surely the benefits of eating fruit as a whole food outweighs the negatives. Fibre, vitamins, antioxidants, plus I can't face the idea of not consuming anything sweet at all. 

#4 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

But life is sweet girl! Get high on life, enjoy the sunshine, find boyfriend, just enjoy that life has to offer, isn't that sweet enough?

#5 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Try to eat fruits that are lower in sugar like apples and pears. I think I'd avoid honey though or at least eat it in moderation.

Edited by paigems, 17 March 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#6 Hope7

Hope7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

You need fruit in your diet! They provide vitamins, fibre, antioxidants and other good things that your body will benefit from.  

Just avoid products that have added sugar in them, like cookies, cake, candy etc. I believe in everything in moderation so if you have a piece of cake once in a while don't beat yourself up over it as long as you eat healthy most of the time.

Some people find that eating dairy products makes their acne worse but for others it makes no difference. Why don't you find out if it affects you before you cut it out completely?

Good luck.

#7 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

All I know is that in the 80's every bodybuilder drank milk like crazy, like 1 gallon every day and no one had even one pimple.. cool2.gif

#8 eveum

eveum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

You need fruit in your diet! They provide vitamins, fibre, antioxidants and other good things that your body will benefit from.  

Just avoid products that have added sugar in them, like cookies, cake, candy etc. I believe in everything in moderation so if you have a piece of cake once in a while don't beat yourself up over it as long as you eat healthy most of the time.

Some people find that eating dairy products makes their acne worse but for others it makes no difference. Why don't you find out if it affects you before you cut it out completely?

Good luck.

I'm doing it more for my general health to be honest. The fact that I ate a whole cake in one sitting the other day without thinking much of it is quite worrying to me. Eating multiple forms of dairy in one day makes me feel sick, and I don't actively avoid it I just don't like it that much, cheese and milk have never really appealed to me. I know my skin and general health could be better so that's why I'm trying this :) Thank you for the advice. 

#9 LeadingForce

LeadingForce

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

• Amount Per 100 grams1 extra small (2-1/2" dia) (101 g)1 cup slices (109 g)1 cup, quartered or chopped (125 g)1 small (2-3/4" dia) (149 g)1 medium (3" dia) (182 g)1 large (3-1/4" dia) (223 g)1 NLEA serving (242 g)1 medium (3" dia) (182 g)

Calories 95
  • % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.3 g 0% Saturated fat 0.1 g 0% Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g   Monounsaturated fat 0 g   Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 2 mg 0% Potassium 195 mg 5% Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8% Dietary fiber 4.4 g 17% Sugar 19 g   Protein 0.5 g 1% Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 1% Iron 1% Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5% Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 2%

this is for a apple 

25g of carbs and 19g of sugar  

carb usually turns into sugar when digested so and it only has 4.4g of fiber for each gram of sugar u need the same for fiber

so i wouldnt say it balances it out 

#10 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

Eat your fruit whole and avoid hybridized, super-sweet stuff like bananas and pineapples. Berries are your friend. Avoid dairy. Avoid processed sugar.

Edited by dscully, 17 March 2014 - 08:37 PM.

Suffered from acne as a young adult that went into remission when put on hormonal birth control. Went off the HBC around age 22 and the acne returned with a vengeance (along with a host of other hormonal complaints). 100% clear with a modified diet that excludes dairy, sugars, grains, citrus and cured meats and emphasizes whole food-based nutrition from both plant and animal sources, most notably organ meats like liver and juiced whole vegetables. I have included a recipe for the most helpful juice I have come up with for skin complaints. I drink it every day, and it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look (not orange. Don't worry!).

Magic Juice

In a juicer, combine:

5-6 carrots

1 medium beet

2-3 stalks of celery

1 small apple (Green is preferred. Omit if you are very sugar-sensitive)

1 small (1inch) piece of ginger (optional, but good for digestion)

This makes a variable amount of juice depending on the size of the vegetables you use.

Drink this throughout the morning until it's gone. Store in the fridge not longer than one day.

Having perfectly clear skin on my wedding day was worth all the headache and effort of figuring out how diet affects acne!

10253792_10152330899888950_7455033623381

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

I know that sucrose has no nutritional benefits and that it's terrible for my skin and my weight. I am willing to try eating no added sugar in my diet, it's going to be so hard and I'm not sure what I actually need to avoid. :I

I don't really eat a conventional diet to begin with, I don't eat pasta, very rarely eat bread or cereals, very rarely consume dairy products, no red meat, quite a lot of fruit/vegetables, and loads of sugar. I'd like to cut out the last part, I'm pretty much fine with everything else.

Am I still okay to eat honey and fruits and the occasional dairy product or anything else with natural sugars? I know dairy is meant to be bad for acne but I very rarely eat it.

Start with drinks. No drinking sugar. And that includes juices, especially when not with a meal that would lower the glycemic impact. If you really love juice, water it down. Also try iced hibiscus tea. Best kept secret in the beverage world. And very beneficial. A major component in Republic of Teas expensive Get Gorgeous tea.

What kind of sweets do you eat? We can suggest substitutes. And how strict you need to be varies from person to person and with what else you do. Physical activity, muscle, sleep, and all kinds of nutrients affect how well you metabolize sugars. There are also many substances that help slow down absorption of sugar like fats, fiber, vinegar, etc.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#12 eveum

eveum

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:15 AM

I only drink water really, I can't stand fizzy drinks and fresh fruit juices make me feel like I'm damaging my teeth. As for sweets I love chocolate like most people but especially cake of any kind. I have read about baking with coconut flour so that could be an option. 

Today I made chocolate out of coconut oil, cocoa and honey. They were damn good and I ended up eating less than I usually would (about 2 pieces) with normal chocolate or candy because they were so rich. Obviously honey is still sugar but it's not as refined. I don't think it's possible for me to live without any kind of sugar, even if that isn't the healthiest thing I want to be happy and not feel extremely restricted. My options are limited at the moment because I live with my family and don't really get a say in the kind of food my mum buys. 

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

I only drink water really, I can't stand fizzy drinks and fresh fruit juices make me feel like I'm damaging my teeth. As for sweets I love chocolate like most people but especially cake of any kind. I have read about baking with coconut flour so that could be an option. 

Today I made chocolate out of coconut oil, cocoa and honey. They were damn good and I ended up eating less than I usually would (about 2 pieces) with normal chocolate or candy because they were so rich. Obviously honey is still sugar but it's not as refined. I don't think it's possible for me to live without any kind of sugar, even if that isn't the healthiest thing I want to be happy and not feel extremely restricted. My options are limited at the moment because I live with my family and don't really get a say in the kind of food my mum buys. 

See http://www.acne.org/...ipes-and-ideas/
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#14 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

All sugar is the same for me, if we needed fruit then I would have died 5 years ago, and my skin certainly wouldn't have cleared up. In my experience even a little bit of sugar throws me off balance because the body starts using a different fuel source (sugar as opposed to fat), which takes time and energy to switch back-and-forth. While this is happening, it's party time for all hormones (good and bad) because our liver is far too busy dealing with the sugar to check the guestlist.

Avoiding sugar is not an issue for me now, because I don't crave it. I certainly used to though, because my body thought I needed it. This kind of craving is normal for anything that gives us a temporary energy boost.

Refined or unrefined has no difference. In fact I prefer straight alcohol to sugar because it goes through your system faster.

All I know is that in the 80's every bodybuilder drank milk like crazy, like 1 gallon every day and no one had even one pimple..

Hah, man. I can't speak for the 80s but all the bodybuilders I know today have terrible skin and their hair is falling out. Of course there's more to blame now than milk, but it struck me as an odd example.

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

#15 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:58 PM

Quick tips:

Replace processed sugar with honey at least.

Try taking a small amount of inositol for insulin balance. 

Some people take cinnamon pills to help regulate their blood sugar, but I never tried them...I just avoid processed sugar as much as possible and eat small meals throughout the day to keep my insulin levels stable. 

Edited by WishClean, 03 April 2014 - 09:59 PM.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#16 emorymoncada21

emorymoncada21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

If you eat sugar very much then sugar will effect overall on your body.First is sugar suprreses the immune system and human growth harmones and it promotes inflammation,raises insulin levels and glycation.But It is great source to gain weight.You should go for other food ,fruits rather than sweet sugar dish.

#17 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Some sugar is fine, especially if it's in fruits. If you love sugar, cutting everything out will not work. I would recommend doing something like some unsweetened full fat greek yogurt with some medjool dates, cinnamon, pecans, and a drizzle of honey. It'll get you that sweet fix, and the cinnamon + fat/protein will keep your blood sugar stable.

You could also make smoothies. I usually do frozen blueberries, a banana, half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a raw egg, a couple tablespoons yogurt, and a splash of OJ. Delicious, sweet, but not diabetic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users