22 replies to this topic

#21 skk3

skk3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

Month 3

Skin is clear clear clear! No acne or red marks in sight. Looks wonderful. Not having acne is obviously the best part, but a very close second is having no oil! My face looks so fresh even at the end of the day. It takes so little to make it look so good. I slather on moisturizer and SPF and that's it. Super easy and takes <5 min. 

Only side effects are eczema patches on my arms and mild dry lips. Otherwise completely great. My lab work has shown a slight bump in triglycerides so I'm being extra careful with my diet to hopefully somewhat counteract the effects of accutane. 

#22 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, wine tasting and skin care (I'm a reluctant skin care news/info maven)

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I LOVE having no oil...almost more than having no acne! Isn't it wonderful to have your makeup looking the same at the end of the day as it did the beginning of the day?? Who knew that was possible?? :) Hope you have continued success in your treatment!

Month One: 40 mg Zenatane, taken with breakfast

Month Two: 60 mg Zenatane, one taken w/lunch, one w/dinner

Month Three: 80 mg Zenatane, one taken w/lunch, one w/dinner

Skin care regimen:

a.m.: Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA exfoliant, PC skin balancing antioxidant serum, PC Hydralight moisturizer and Resist SPF 30 moisturizer

p.m.: Kirkland cleansing wipes, Paula's Choice acne wash Olay foaming face wash for sensitive skin, PC Hydralight toner, PC 2% BHA, PC Skin Replenishing moisturizer

Supplements: calcium, fish oil, B12, and D3

#23 skk3

skk3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:11 PM

Well I've decided to stop accutane after 2 months and 1 week. My face is becoming more and more red/purple color and is extremely warm to the touch. I flush extremely easily and even my ears get super red. I didn't actually notice this because I look at my face every day in the mirror, but my parents were shocked when they saw me for the first time since starting accutane. They said I looked burned and sick looking. They took a picture of me and when I compared it to previous pictures, I knew that something was wrong. 

I did not know facial flushing was a common side effect of accutane and many people report having it during the treatment and it fading after a few weeks post-treatment. However, there are some who complain of permanent redness and rosacea. I spoke to my brother who happens to be a doctor (not a dermatologist) and he recommended that I stop taking it. My acne before accutane was certainly classified as "mild" and I only started accutane because it was persistent, despite being 26 years old and trying many medications. However, I've come to the realization that I can live with acne. Though having a clear face was great, I'm starting to realize that this medication should really be reserved for those who need it and not people like me who have mild acne. 

Such is life! During my next derm appointment, I'm going to start a different, more mild treatment. I'll probably go back on a topical cream. I'm a bit disappointed because accutane was so effective on my skin, but I can't justify continuing the treatment. There are essential medications (blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes) and there are non-essential medications. For ME and ME ONLY, I classify accutane as a non-essential medication and the potential permanent side-effects are not worth it. 

Edited by skk3, 19 May 2014 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users