Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Life Has Been Ruined By Acne

11 posts in this topic

I'm 17 and have had severe acne since i was 9. I have been to various dermatologists over the years, i've been prescribed dozens of medications, i've used every acne product you could think of (it's been a long 8 years) and my mom has been willing to pay for expensive facial treatments. Nothing has worked. I can't tell you how many times i've been putting on makeup to go to school to cover my horrible acne up and i just become repulsed with myself and i start to scream and cry hysterically. I cancel plans with my friends because of my acne. I can't take it anymore. I'm considering skipping school tomorrow to avoid having to show my face. I've been on antidepressants and in therapy but still my skin makes me miserable. Something i just slap and hit myself until i get blisters to release my anguish. I envy people with perfect skin. my best friend is always complaining about her "acne" and how "bad" her skin is while i look like a dalmation with all my spots. Acne has truly ruined my life. I haven't had a day without spots or pimples since i was 8 and i'm tired. What do i do?

Have you tried Accutane? I know you said you've tried a lot of medications, but you didn't mention Accutane specifically, and that's usually the BIG one and the last resort for most people. Did it not work out for you?

1 person likes this

I'm 17 and have had severe acne since i was 9. I have been to various dermatologists over the years, i've been prescribed dozens of medications, i've used every acne product you could think of (it's been a long 8 years) and my mom has been willing to pay for expensive facial treatments. Nothing has worked. I can't tell you how many times i've been putting on makeup to go to school to cover my horrible acne up and i just become repulsed with myself and i start to scream and cry hysterically. I cancel plans with my friends because of my acne. I can't take it anymore. I'm considering skipping school tomorrow to avoid having to show my face. I've been on antidepressants and in therapy but still my skin makes me miserable. Something i just slap and hit myself until i get blisters to release my anguish. I envy people with perfect skin. my best friend is always complaining about her "acne" and how "bad" her skin is while i look like a dalmation with all my spots. Acne has truly ruined my life. I haven't had a day without spots or pimples since i was 8 and i'm tired. What do i do?

Accutane.

2 people like this

Glyde, you do have a point, especially about the depression part.

To clarify, I answered the way I did because I don't want him to be on antidepressants or increase the dose so he could become emotionally numb, when he could go on an Accutane course and potentially reduce the problem, if not put him into remission.

Accutane has some risks (I only took it for a few weeks and ended up with a severe adverse event from it that I'll have till the day I die -_-, didn't complete it).

Tatibel: Take some time to mourn your skin. I had bad skin all my life (well ok, probably from the time I was ten, at the latest, till now-age 26 soon 27 in 2 months -_- ). It's tough especially at your age. Once you mourn for a bit, realize you have other things in your life that others may not.

I ended up focusing on getting great grades in school and focused on college. Not only did this help take away the attention from my skin, but I ended up making better choices during high school and college than most of my friends (ie not partying, keeping in great shape, eating really well-I did that for my skin and everyone knew I was the one to go to for advice on nutrition). I was pretty proud of the fact that I ended up getting in great shape in college and high school while everyone else ended up eating and drinking whatever they wanted and gained an incredible amount of weight. At times I was able to control my acne, but when I focused on these other areas sometimes I just didn't care. It helped my self esteem to know that I did a whole bunch of these other things. Heck, right now I'm training for a half-marathon.

I know it's probably difficult to think of things you can achieve or do right now, but maybe start to brainstorm. You are allowed to have your bad days. I have them from time to time. Even though I have acne, the acne scars get me way more at times though for the most part I don't care. I just now try to have a lot of other things to focus on to achieve and I don't let the list get short. If you are a girl, see about getting your hormones checked. I ended up finding out mine were so off. I didn't end up finding out till a year ago when I was out of the age range for acne, as my derm said. She had me go get them checked out and sure enough my problems were more than what could have been fixed with acne meds. And seriously, my acne and scars haven't made it difficult for me to date, get jobs, get in shape, etc. I actually have no problem getting dates even though I have tons of divets on my face, haha XD I think it's just the confidence. You're allowed to have bad days, but I do hope things get better and all the stories you'll read will help you realize that all hope is not lost.

1 person likes this

If you have severe acne then there is no other option than accutane.

If you have severe acne then there is no other option than accutane.

I know how you feel. I'm so depressed because I can't even walk to school without everyone staring at me. I'm a 16 year old boy but I'm really tempted just to wear make-up so people won't judge me for what I look like...

As one poster said. These are supportive boards, not advisory boards. Accutane may have helped some, but its also made worse others. There is a reason for all the legal lawsuits surrounding this drug. The decision rests on them to accept or seek other methods.

Antidepressants work wonders on some while others have minimal improvement requiring even more antidepressants and antidepressant boosting drugs. And the all carry side effects.