Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Tea Tree Oil For Acne Study!

27 posts in this topic

Does Tea Tree Oil work as well as benzoyl peroxide for acne?

This has been one of the most popular questions that I've seen asked, and out to seek answers. If you don't know who I am, my name is Taylor Thompson, and I'm 8 years acne free with the use of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

Whenever I stop using benzoyl peroxide, I breakout... So of course, I don't consider my acne cured, I just consider it treated.

I'm super happy with the results I have obtained by using Acne.org, and other products containing 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, and I truly believe that having clear skin has changed my life!

Here are some pictures of me:

xtaylor.png.pagespeed.ic.KIVLMQlftD.jpg

xbefore-and-after-acne.png.pagespeed.ic.

IMG_0515-300x168.jpg

13-12-21-a-300x168.jpg

Like most people though, I'm always asking myself, "Is there another way, (aside from b.p.)?"

I can give and get rid of my acne on command!

I know that I breakout when I don't use benzoyl peroxide, and this was confirmed in one of the studies I did, which I named, "Acne on Purpose!" 2 pictures from my study are actually shown above.

The real reason why we're all here though...

Is Tea Tree Oil as Effective as Benzoyl Peroxide for Acne?

Acne.org members seem to think that Tea Tree Oil works great! Also, according to the study done in 1990, link here, 5% tea tree oil is as effective at treating acne as 5% benzoyl peroxide, but it takes longer to work.

Tea-tree oil (an essential oil of the Australian native tree Melaleuca alternifolia) has long been regarded as a useful topical antiseptic agent in Australia and has been shown to have a variety of antimicrobial activities; however, only anecdotal evidence exists for its efficacy in the treatment of various skin conditions. We have performed a single-blind, randomised clinical trial on 124 patients to evaluate the efficacy and skin tolerance of 5% tea-tree oil gel in the treatment of mild to moderate acne when compared with 5% benzoyl peroxide lotion. The results of this study showed that both 5% tea-tree oil and 5% benzoyl peroxide had a significant effect in ameliorating the patients' acne by reducing the number of inflamed and non-inflamed lesions (open and closed comedones), although the onset of action in the case of tea-tree oil was slower. Encouragingly, fewer side effects were experienced by patients treated with tea-tree oil.

I am not sure how it compares to that, but I do know that tea tree oil is suppose to be good for the face. It is very antibacterial, which is good for the skin. I have never used it but do keep us posted as I might have to try this out.

Do you think that using a face wash with tea tree oil can help the same way as using pure tea tree oil? I have a tea tree oil face wash from Trader Joe's. Thanks for posting up your progress, I definitely want to see if it works so that I can use it instead of BP, since its natural. Also, doesn't the bottle say that you can't use it on skin? Maybe you should dilute it with water, just a little bit to be safe.

Day 2 Points:

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-05-a-300x168

• Minor Side Effects
  • Redness
  • Itching
  • Strong Tea Tree Smell

Aside from that, continuing to use SIMPLE cleanser, tea tree oil, and then moisturizing with Simple and using Jojoba Oil!

I posted 2 Podcasts on Youtube discussing where I'm going, and how I'm feeling about this whole tea tree oil experiment! The videos can be viewed at my blog, which I linked to in the 1st post in this thread. :)

I was going to say, since I'm writing a day behind my real life experience, day 3 has some good news! So stay tuned!!!

PS: I also decided to shave, so you can really see where I'm going. I know people have been suggesting that I dilute the tea tree oil, but for this experiment, I'm going to continue to use 100% tea tree oil!

I am not sure how it compares to that, but I do know that tea tree oil is suppose to be good for the face. It is very antibacterial, which is good for the skin. I have never used it but do keep us posted as I might have to try this out.

I think that tea tree oil would be better but if you find a cleanser with it in it, then it would be worth it to try out. I would love to know if you find a good one for me to try.

Yo I've been subscribed to you on you tube for a while now. Keep us updated. I love your videos!

My acne cured when I stopped slathering on creams and lotions.

When I first started using Benzoyl Peroxide years ago, it seemed to clear up the acne.... for a few months.... then..... yup, it came back, whilst using the BP.

So then I tried retin-a and about 50 other different types of treatment. Still got acne.

So one day I decided to stop using all topicals. Acne erupted like you wouldn't believe, but I carried on just using a mild cleanser every morning and evening and patting dry with a clean towel. After a few weeks, the acne just stopped completely and the red marks healed, eventually. I still got a few minor whiteheads so decided to try BP again as I wanted to be 100% clear (silly thought really as most people are never 100% clear, even people who don't suffer acne). Guess what? Acne like you wouldn't believe erupted and although the BP seemed to help after a few bad weeks, the acne was always there to a degree.

So... get off topicals. They don't solve the problem and they rarely treat it. Anything you apply to your skin will encourage pores to get blocked, whether the products are labelled non-comedogenic or not. That applies to ANYTHING, including any natural substances.

The reason why people report limited success with Benzoyl Peroxide is simple. BP kills bacteria, although small amounts of bacteria still build up. Because the pores are not completely clear (because it is being blocked by the BP), the bacteria has a field day which eventually leads to a spot. Subsequent applications of BP kill the bacteria more, however the damage has been done at this point. Then you are left to deal with nasty red marks that takes a long time to fade.

I do like to still use a 2% SA peel every night and a quick blast of blue light. It controls the whiteheads and i'm almost 100% clear most of the time. Remember, nobody is clear 100% of the time, acne-prone or not.

Thank you so much for doing this experiment!

I currently had to stop my BP regimen (at least for a few days) as I burnt my skin by increasing the dosage way to fast (I assume that's the reason and I'm not allergic to BP). So I have flaky skin and it peels off so badly.. it's hard to cover it with makeup properly as well.. which is BAD as I'm going on a date tomorrow plus having a photoshoot in 3 days!!!

I've been using organic australian Tea Tree soap (I'm using this brand: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Australian-Tea-Tree-Cleansing-Soap/dp/B001FFDL7I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394281796&sr=8-2&keywords=tea+tree+soap ) for a couple months now as my cleanser and I must say it is the BEST skin product I've ever tried! when I use it two times a day it does clear up my skin.. but I wanted something "stronger and faster" so I decided to try BP. For some reason I have no doubt that BP will treat my acne eventually.. however at this very point it's challenging for me to live with the side effects of BP. I will heal my skin for a few days and then start all over again with modest dosage... will see what's gonna happen...

please keep up with this experiment! I am very excited to see the results! :))

I think that tea tree oil would be better but if you find a cleanser with it in it, then it would be worth it to try out. I would love to know if you find a good one for me to try.

Hey, Val, I'm definitely going to keep you updated with my results.

If I may ask, are you using the b.p. here at Acne.org? Dan's products are absolute gold, and when used correctly, you're going to see amazing results. I've definitely been where you are with the negative side effects sometimes associated with benzoyl peroxide. I found that when I started using benzoyl peroxide the right way, these side effects went away.

oh and how are you planning to dilute tea tree oil? in which proportions I mean?

How is the tea tree oil working for you? Can you update us?

How is the tea tree oil working for you? Can you update us?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your tips on how to use BP for the neck ;) It was also interesting to know that you don't use a lot of BP and still able to maintain clear skin for many years... I might reconsider my more=better approach to BP dosage.

I am going back to proper regimen tomorrow as now my skin has cooled down and feels ready for the ride lol Over the course of these days I was using Jojoba Oil (with no creamy moisturizer at all) every day and in fact noticed significant improvements! It seems like it actually reduces existing acne and prevents from new breakouts. Do you think it's a good idea to use Jojoba oil as the actual moisturizer after BP instead of adding a few drops of it into the cream?

p.s. Hows it going with the study?

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your tips on how to use BP for the neck It was also interesting to know that you don't use a lot of BP and still able to maintain clear skin for many years... I might reconsider my more=better approach to BP dosage.

Thanks for the link! I'll check out;)

Looking forward to your results with diluted TTO))

Thanks for the link! I'll check out;)

Looking forward to your results with diluted TTO))

Hey you guys, I wanted to post an update!

Although 5% tea tree oil is significantly better to use than 100% tea tree oil, with less side effects, I'm still breaking out like crazy! This breakout from the 5% tea tree oil could be a carryover from the 100% solution, but it's my best bet that tea tree oil is just not a very effective acne treatment.

I took the below screen capture from one of my Youtube Videos.

major-breakouts.png

Although this may not look "that bad," mind you, with Dan's Regimen, my skin is ALWAYS 100% CLEAR!

I still have to follow through with my tea tree oil study, which is going all the way to March 31st, and then I'm switching over to a new product. Maybe I will do a case study on Acne.org? :P I already know it works, but I know some people have their doubts.

What can you take from all of this?

Do NOT turn in your Acne.org kit for Tea Tree Oil!

Would you guys like a case study of Acne.org next? :)

hey) sorry to see you having bad experience with TTO.

I've been thinking about your study and I thought it would be more accurate (I assume much more accurate) if you didn't jump from BP to TTO straight away, but gave your skin at least one (preferably two) week of complete rest. Nothing at all. I mean changing treatments one by one is pretty stressful on your skin. Plus unless you know in what condition your acne really is (when you don't use any treatments for one-two weeks) it's kinda hard to say whether you breakout because you stopped using BP and it's just your "real skin" condition or you breakout because of the new treatment.

Apart from that in the long-run case study mode your skin will most likely be freaked out of consistent-change of treatments and it might significantly decrease objectiveness of future studies as well.

Quite frankly, no matter how much we love real life studies approach in scientific studies they always use at least 10 (usually more) participants due to individuality of each person's skin condition/reaction.

p.s. Once again I find it extremely hard to stick to BP! I also find that I can definitely see improvements from Jojoba Oil. It just calms down my skin so well... I can see it's working even if not super fast.. but honestly BP is so itchy it was hard to concentrate on my exam studies... frankly I am thinking to give Jojoba Oil more dedication for a month or so and see how it goes. I've also been changing my lifestyle significantly for the past few weeks (mainly my diet/hormonal balance/exercise/sleep) and I can tell it does make the difference... obviously it takes more time but hey I don't mind putting in the effort when it really works and not only improves my skin, but my overall health. We should never forget that our skin is the mirror of internal hygiene and health...

hey) sorry to see you having bad experience with TTO.

I've been thinking about your study and I thought it would be more accurate (I assume much more accurate) if you didn't jump from BP to TTO straight away, but gave your skin at least one (preferably two) week of complete rest. Nothing at all. I mean changing treatments one by one is pretty stressful on your skin. Plus unless you know in what condition your acne really is (when you don't use any treatments for one-two weeks) it's kinda hard to say whether you breakout because you stopped using BP and it's just your "real skin" condition or you breakout because of the new treatment.

Hey!

Just to note I didn't mean to disregard your efforts by any means. My point is that whilst you experimenting with various acne treatments, make sure you don't be to harsh on your skin :) Tbh I applaud your mission, despite the fact that you already achieved clear skin with BP and could stop right there ;)

Initially I didn't care much to go "all natural" about acne treatment, it's only after I've started to experience these side effects of BP when I felt like maybe I should take it slower but with less harm. Again I am not saying I won't go back to BP... but somehow it's much more challenging than I thought... and really if more gentle/natural way won't give the results I want, I can always go back to BP and just stick with it no matter what... though it would be so nice if I could avoid that

1 person likes this

I've recently went off all BP and all over the counter treatments, now only use a mild cleanser and 100% TTO on spots. I've been clear for months for the first time in my life. So I can't say I agree with your findings on 100% TTO.

1 person likes this

Hey!

Just to note I didn't mean to disregard your efforts by any means. My point is that whilst you experimenting with various acne treatments, make sure you don't be to harsh on your skin Tbh I applaud your mission, despite the fact that you already achieved clear skin with BP and could stop right there

Initially I didn't care much to go "all natural" about acne treatment, it's only after I've started to experience these side effects of BP when I felt like maybe I should take it slower but with less harm. Again I am not saying I won't go back to BP... but somehow it's much more challenging than I thought... and really if more gentle/natural way won't give the results I want, I can always go back to BP and just stick with it no matter what... though it would be so nice if I could avoid that

Btw answering your question, I have been to sauna but that was a long time ago and I guess it must be effective when done on a regular basis...

What was your experience with sauna?

Btw answering your question, I have been to sauna but that was a long time ago and I guess it must be effective when done on a regular basis...

What was your experience with sauna?