26 replies to this topic

#1 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

Does Tea Tree Oil work as well as benzoyl peroxide for acne?

This has been one of the most popular questions that I've seen asked, and out to seek answers. If you don't know who I am, my name is Taylor Thompson, and I'm 8 years acne free with the use of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide.

Whenever I stop using benzoyl peroxide, I breakout... So of course, I don't consider my acne cured, I just consider it treated.

I'm super happy with the results I have obtained by using Acne.org, and other products containing 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, and I truly believe that having clear skin has changed my life!

Here are some pictures of me:

xtaylor.png.pagespeed.ic.KIVLMQlftD.jpg

xbefore-and-after-acne.png.pagespeed.ic.

IMG_0515-300x168.jpg

13-12-21-a-300x168.jpg

Like most people though, I'm always asking myself, "Is there another way, (aside from b.p.)?"

I can give and get rid of my acne on command! 

I know that I breakout when I don't use benzoyl peroxide, and this was confirmed in one of the studies I did, which I named, "Acne on Purpose!" 2 pictures from my study are actually shown above.

The real reason why we're all here though...

Is Tea Tree Oil as Effective as Benzoyl Peroxide for Acne?

Acne.org members seem to think that Tea Tree Oil works great! Also, according to the study done in 1990, link here, 5% tea tree oil is as effective at treating acne as 5% benzoyl peroxide, but it takes longer to work.

Tea-tree oil (an essential oil of the Australian native tree Melaleuca alternifolia) has long been regarded as a useful topical antiseptic agent in Australia and has been shown to have a variety of antimicrobial activities; however, only anecdotal evidence exists for its efficacy in the treatment of various skin conditions. We have performed a single-blind, randomised clinical trial on 124 patients to evaluate the efficacy and skin tolerance of 5% tea-tree oil gel in the treatment of mild to moderate acne when compared with 5% benzoyl peroxide lotion. The results of this study showed that both 5% tea-tree oil and 5% benzoyl peroxide had a significant effect in ameliorating the patients' acne by reducing the number of inflamed and non-inflamed lesions (open and closed comedones), although the onset of action in the case of tea-tree oil was slower. Encouragingly, fewer side effects were experienced by patients treated with tea-tree oil.

This study is continuously linked to time and time again, and I figured, "Hey, Taylor! You know what you're doing. It's time to see if tea tree oil actually works as well as benzoyl peroxide, and while you're at it, you need to document your findings so other people can see your results!"

So I started...

And thus far, I've experienced

• One new pimple.
  • Minor redness.
  • Minor itching.
  • More oily skin!
  • Strong smell of tea tree oil.
  • The good news is, tea tree oil has a nice cooling effect to the skin when applied.

My application process is just like Dan Kern's benzoyl peroxide acne process.

1. Cleanse (with Simple)
  2. Pat face dry.
  3. Treat with tea tree oil, apply with pad!
  4. Let tea tree oil dry.
  5. Apply Simple moisturizer combined with drop of jojoba oil.

Basically, the only difference between my application process and Dan's are the products that I'm using. Everything else I'm doing is exactly the same. I'm essentially cleansing, treating, and moisturizing. Instead of using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, I'm using tea tree oil. I'm going to follow this tea tree oil regimen for 14 to 30 days, and I will be posting daily pictures and videos of my results here at Acne.org, as well as my blog! I love everything about acne, testing my skin, and sharing my results, so my hope is that everyone here can benefit from my findings. smile.png

Without further adieu, here is the Day #1 Picture!

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-04-300x168.j

Stay tuned as I have many more pictures and much more content to come.

Without further adieu, here is the Day #4 Pictures!

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-07-a.jpg

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-07-b.jpg

If you have any tips or suggestions, please leave them below! I know that there are many different ways to use tea tree oil, and right now, I'm not even diluting it. Maybe I should? I'm not sure, but I'm always open for suggestions.

Edited by ttomp13, 09 March 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#2 AmberTaylor

AmberTaylor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

I am not sure how it compares to that, but I do know that tea tree oil is suppose to be good for the face.  It is very antibacterial, which is good for the skin. I have never used it but do keep us posted as I  might have to try this out.

#3 cupcakejess

cupcakejess

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Do you think that using a face wash with tea tree oil can help the same way as using pure tea tree oil? I have a tea tree oil face wash from Trader Joe's. Thanks for posting up your progress, I definitely want to see if it works so that I can use it instead of BP, since its natural. Also, doesn't the bottle say that you can't use it on skin? Maybe you should dilute it with water, just a little bit to be safe.

#4 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Day 2 Points:

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-05-a-300x168

• Minor Side Effects
  • Redness
  • Itching
  • Strong Tea Tree Smell

Aside from that, continuing to use SIMPLE cleanser, tea tree oil, and then moisturizing with Simple and using Jojoba Oil!

I posted 2 Podcasts on Youtube discussing where I'm going, and how I'm feeling about this whole tea tree oil experiment! The videos can be viewed at my blog, which I linked to in the 1st post in this thread. :)

I was going to say, since I'm writing a day behind my real life experience, day 3 has some good news! So stay tuned!!!

PS: I also decided to shave, so you can really see where I'm going. I know people have been suggesting that I dilute the tea tree oil, but for this experiment, I'm going to continue to use 100% tea tree oil!

I am not sure how it compares to that, but I do know that tea tree oil is suppose to be good for the face.  It is very antibacterial, which is good for the skin. I have never used it but do keep us posted as I  might have to try this out.

I'll definitely keep you posted! I've heard that tea tree is great for antibacterial purposes as well! I'm actually pretty excited about the results I'm starting to see.

Do you think that using a face wash with tea tree oil can help the same way as using pure tea tree oil? I have a tea tree oil face wash from Trader Joe's. Thanks for posting up your progress, I definitely want to see if it works so that I can use it instead of BP, since its natural. Also, doesn't the bottle say that you can't use it on skin? Maybe you should dilute it with water, just a little bit to be safe.

That would be a great question, but I'm not sure.

The thing I like to watch out for (in face washes) is that you're rinsing them off. This is where x-out has me concerned. The thing about Dan's regimen, and 100% tea tree oil is that I'm leaving it on my face all day. It seems like leaving it on your face all day would mean that it's more likely to work, and treat your acne all day... Just my opinion, although I haven't tried what you're saying, nor have I tried X-Out just yet.

I'm not sure if the bottle says not to use it on your skin, but I'll definitely check when I get home. :)

Edited by ttomp13, 06 March 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#5 AmberTaylor

AmberTaylor

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:44 PM

I think that tea tree oil would be better but if you find a cleanser with it in it, then it would be worth it to try out.  I would love to know if you find a good one for me to try.

#6 Hawaii4Life

Hawaii4Life

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Lifting, Beach, Life.

Achievements

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Yo I've been subscribed to you on you tube for a while now. Keep us updated. I love your videos!

#7 purplesky

purplesky

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

My acne cured when I stopped slathering on creams and lotions.

When I first started using Benzoyl Peroxide years ago, it seemed to clear up the acne.... for a few months.... then..... yup, it came back, whilst using the BP.

So then I tried retin-a and about 50 other different types of treatment. Still got acne.

So one day I decided to stop using all topicals. Acne erupted like you wouldn't believe, but I carried on just using a mild cleanser every morning and evening and patting dry with a clean towel. After a few weeks, the acne just stopped completely and the red marks healed, eventually. I still got a few minor whiteheads so decided to try BP again as I wanted to be 100% clear (silly thought really as most people are never 100% clear, even people who don't suffer acne). Guess what? Acne like you wouldn't believe erupted and although the BP seemed to help after a few bad weeks, the acne was always there to a degree.

So... get off topicals. They don't solve the problem and they rarely treat it. Anything you apply to your skin will encourage pores to get blocked, whether the products are labelled non-comedogenic or not. That applies to ANYTHING, including any natural substances.

The reason why people report limited success with Benzoyl Peroxide is simple. BP kills bacteria, although small amounts of bacteria still build up. Because the pores are not completely clear (because it is being blocked by the BP), the bacteria has a field day which eventually leads to a spot. Subsequent applications of BP kill the bacteria more, however the damage has been done at this point. Then you are left to deal with nasty red marks that takes a long time to fade.

I do like to still use a 2% SA peel every night and a quick blast of blue light. It controls the whiteheads and i'm almost 100% clear most of the time. Remember, nobody is clear 100% of the time, acne-prone or not.

Edited by purplesky, 07 March 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#8 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Thank you so much for doing this experiment!

I currently had to stop my BP regimen (at least for a few days) as I burnt my skin by increasing the dosage way to fast (I assume that's the reason and I'm not allergic to BP). So I have flaky skin and it peels off so badly.. it's hard to cover it with makeup properly as well.. which is BAD as I'm going on a date tomorrow plus having a photoshoot in 3 days!!! 

I've been using organic australian Tea Tree soap (I'm using this brand: http://www.amazon.co...s=tea tree soap  )  for a couple months now as my cleanser and I must say it is the BEST skin product I've ever tried! when I use it two times a day it does clear up my skin.. but I wanted something "stronger and faster" so I decided to try BP. For some reason I have no doubt that BP will treat my acne eventually.. however at this very point it's challenging for me to live with the side effects of BP. I will heal my skin for a few days and then start all over again with modest dosage... will see what's gonna happen...

please keep up with this experiment! I am very excited to see the results! :))

#9 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

I think that tea tree oil would be better but if you find a cleanser with it in it, then it would be worth it to try out.  I would love to know if you find a good one for me to try.

Hey AmberTaylor,

I want to first apologize for the late response to everyone here! I finally came across Internet Access, which is kind of a hit and miss for me right now. :P I'll be more likely to respond during the weekdays when I have Internet at school.

That said, I could see how tea tree oil could work better in a cleanser. It is really strong using 100% tea tree oil, and honestly, maybe I do just need to dilute it. Let's be honest, using 100% benzoyl peroxide on your face would mess you up pretty bad, and that's not a joke.

What you could try, Amber, is getting a regular cleanser, and then adding a couple of drops of 100% tea tree oil to that cleanser. That is always an option. :) 

Yo I've been subscribed to you on you tube for a while now. Keep us updated. I love your videos!

That's awesome! Someone else here at Acne.org sees the power in Dan's site, and also follows me on Youtube! That's always really cool to hear. :) Are you following my new acne channel, or my old one? Here's a link to my acne-specific channel. 

My acne cured when I stopped slathering on creams and lotions.

When I first started using Benzoyl Peroxide years ago, it seemed to clear up the acne.... for a few months.... then..... yup, it came back, whilst using the BP.

So then I tried retin-a and about 50 other different types of treatment. Still got acne.

It's all about using benzoyl peroxide the right way. I know that it's not for everybody, and what you're saying, I'm not denying! I believe you 100%, because when I first used B.P, I failed miserably. I was only successful once I watched Dan's How to Videos, as I explain in my video here.

People give up way too early on benzoyl peroxide, and from what I have seen, people usually fail because they're 

• Using the wrong product / wrong % of benzoyl peroxide.
  • Inconsistent
  • Not moisturizing
  • Overcleansing / Overwashing
  • Etc.

There are so many mistakes you can make with benzoyl peroxide, it's almost ridiculous. That's why Dan's videos are very helpful! :) I don't know your specific case, and it could be that benzoyl peroxide stopped working for you, but I usually find that it's the latter. 

So one day I decided to stop using all topicals. Acne erupted like you wouldn't believe, but I carried on just using a mild cleanser every morning and evening and patting dry with a clean towel. After a few weeks, the acne just stopped completely and the red marks healed, eventually. I still got a few minor whiteheads so decided to try BP again as I wanted to be 100% clear (silly thought really as most people are never 100% clear, even people who don't suffer acne). Guess what? Acne like you wouldn't believe erupted and although the BP seemed to help after a few bad weeks, the acne was always there to a degree.

When I did my acne on purpose experiment, I was actually surprised as to how well not washing my face actually worked! I thought that this was because I was older, and had less acne, but this definitely isn't the case. :P Like you, I had a similar experience when I stopped using all acne products. 

But let's be honest, we all want perfection! 

When I started using benzoyl peroxide again, my acne came back. I guess we both had a similar experience here. :) This is a completely normal response whilst starting benzoyl peroxide. It's the "worse before better" response you see, and Dan kind of mentions that when he says, "Further clearing, followed perhaps by a breakout. The breakout clears more quickly than usual. Skin is slightly less red and irritated. Red spots from old acne linger."

After this initial response, which I always get while starting benzoyl peroxide again, after being off for awhile, I sometimes even breakout in cystic acne. After a few weeks though, my skin goes to being 100% clear.

Yes, 100% clear.

So... get off topicals. They don't solve the problem and they rarely treat it. Anything you apply to your skin will encourage pores to get blocked, whether the products are labelled non-comedogenic or not. That applies to ANYTHING, including any natural substances.

The reason why people report limited success with Benzoyl Peroxide is simple. BP kills bacteria, although small amounts of bacteria still build up. Because the pores are not completely clear (because it is being blocked by the BP), the bacteria has a field day which eventually leads to a spot. Subsequent applications of BP kill the bacteria more, however the damage has been done at this point. Then you are left to deal with nasty red marks that takes a long time to fade.

Everything you said here is extremely interesting, and in theory, it makes sense. For me, benzoyl peroxide is the only thing that has kept my skin 100% clear, 100% of the time, when I'm 100% consistent with it, while also following some other important rules. :P Pretty good stuff here though. Although I'm assuming you're stating this from personal experience, if you did read this somewhere online, shoot us a link. :) I gotta check it out! Although I'm almost more of a fan of personal experiences, just because of the personal touch. Thank you for sharing, though, as I've potentially learned a new theory that could be true. 

I do like to still use a 2% SA peel every night and a quick blast of blue light. It controls the whiteheads and i'm almost 100% clear most of the time. Remember, nobody is clear 100% of the time, acne-prone or not.

I'm glad you're having success with S.A. :) Peels are always nice, and you're definitely smart for using blue light therapy. If you don't mind me asking, are you doing 420nm light? Also, where did you get your light?

I lastly want to leave you with this. :) 

I love all of the information that you shared here today. You have tried everything under the sun (from what it seems) to try to achieve clear skin perfection! I think that's awesome, and it's always fun seeing that other people are as passionate as I am whilst trying to achieve a perfect complexion. Myself, and others here appreciate your knowledge, and although we do have some disagreements, we all have our own way of getting clear skin! 

That's what I love about acne, there is no 1-size fits all solution! 

For anyone reading this who is struggling with acne, follow someone who has gotten from where you are to where you want to be. Again, there are a million different ways to get clear skin, and as long as you choose 1, and stick with it, you're going to see great results.

Purplesky and I both have 2 different methods, and ways that we go about treating our acne! :) Mine works for me, and his works for him. Definitely continue reading the forum, and choose a method that will work for you. It's all about taking action on a proven system, and you're going to get results.

I have to leave you with this final thought.

My skin is 100% clear 100% of the time when I'm 100% consistent with my own routine. My routine is on my website, and it does involve using 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. I love Dan's products. You can see my routine here.

I do believe that everyone is different, but I do not think that having 100% clear skin 100% of the time is impossible, as long as you're 100% consistent on a routine that is actually capable of keeping you 100% clear. 

When I was really picky about my skin, and following everything 100% of the time, (ie, b.p 2.5%, drinking water, no caffeine / alcohol, eating healthy) etc, my skin was 100% clear.

My skin is only as clear as I am consistent whilst following my routine. 

If I'm 100% consistent, I'm 100% clear.

90% consistent, 90% clear. 

Etc. 

Thank you so much for doing this experiment!

I currently had to stop my BP regimen (at least for a few days) as I burnt my skin by increasing the dosage way to fast (I assume that's the reason and I'm not allergic to BP). So I have flaky skin and it peels off so badly.. it's hard to cover it with makeup properly as well.. which is BAD as I'm going on a date tomorrow plus having a photoshoot in 3 days!!! 

I've been using organic australian Tea Tree soap (I'm using this brand: http://www.amazon.co...s=tea tree soap  )  for a couple months now as my cleanser and I must say it is the BEST skin product I've ever tried! when I use it two times a day it does clear up my skin.. but I wanted something "stronger and faster" so I decided to try BP. For some reason I have no doubt that BP will treat my acne eventually.. however at this very point it's challenging for me to live with the side effects of BP. I will heal my skin for a few days and then start all over again with modest dosage... will see what's gonna happen...

please keep up with this experiment! I am very excited to see the results! smile.png)

Hey, Val, I'm definitely going to keep you updated with my results. :) 

If I may ask, are you using the b.p. here at Acne.org? Dan's products are absolute gold, and when used correctly, you're going to see amazing results. I've definitely been where you are with the negative side effects sometimes associated with benzoyl peroxide. I found that when I started using benzoyl peroxide the right way, these side effects went away. 

I'll take an excerpt from my blog here on the top 3 bp mistakes...

#1 Mistake: Wrong Percent of Benzoyl Peroxide.

There are usually 3 common percentages of benzoyl peroxide concentration you will see in products: 2.5%, 5%, and 10%. Many people make the mistake of going straight to 10%, assuming that the more concentrated the peroxide, the better.

Unfortunately, using anything but 2.5% benzoyl peroxide will either not work (too low of concentration) or cause skin irritation and side effects (too high of concentration).

acne.org repairing lotion Simple Solution: Use 2.5% B.P. % is effective for all cases (even severe) cases of acne. That’s why I recommend Acne.org in the Foundation of my program.

#2 Mistake: Not Moisturizing.

When you are using benzoyl peroxide, IF you do not properly moisturize, it’s a guarantee that your skin is going to develop negative side effects. I made this mistake with Proactiv, because I was under the impression that the Repairing Lotion was the moisturizer. Anything containing benzoyl peroxide is not a moisturizer. B.P., in all cases, is a drying agent.

ACNEORG MOISTURIZER Simple Solution: The easiest way to prevent benzoyl peroxide side effects. There are a couple of moisturizers that do the job. Everything I recommend works great, but feel free to go with the acne.org moisturizer, as it’s what I recommend in the Foundation.

#3 Mistake: Not Following the Foundation.

This is where the biggest problems come in. I’m more than happy to help everyone, but 99% of the time people don’t see results with my program, it’s because they’re not following the Foundation of my system properly.

Simple Solution: Be sure you’re following everything as it is written in the Foundation. If you’re 100% consistent, and still having trouble, please post on my facebook wall.

I have my own free info guide on how to get clear skin, but Dan's works amazing as well. As long as you're following everything to a 'T,' the side effects from benzoyl peorxide should almost be non-existent.

You CAN do this, and you can get 100% clear skin! I think it's awesome that you do modeling. I really would like to work with you to help you get to where you want to be. Please respond, and be sure to checkout Dan's page, and my how to guide as well. Although you've had some success with the tea tree oil soap, I am assuming you're looking to get even better results! 

Let's make it happen! 

#10 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hey, Val, I'm definitely going to keep you updated with my results. smile.png

If I may ask, are you using the b.p. here at Acne.org? Dan's products are absolute gold, and when used correctly, you're going to see amazing results. I've definitely been where you are with the negative side effects sometimes associated with benzoyl peroxide. I found that when I started using benzoyl peroxide the right way, these side effects went away. 

Yes I do use Dan's BP. and in fact I already can see it improved my skin, however I had the burn'n'sting situation due to my increased dosage which basically went from approx. 1/2 pump to 1 full pump (plus extra for the neck). apparently my skin wasn't ready for such a quick shift...

btw  have slight concerns about long-term affects of BP... have you experienced any negative ones after years on the regimen?

#11 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

oh and how are you planning to dilute tea tree oil? in which proportions I mean?

#12 KAmanda

KAmanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

How is the tea tree oil working for you? Can you update us?

#13 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

How is the tea tree oil working for you? Can you update us?

See my response to Valerie91 below. :)

Thank you for following my study. It means a lot. :)

oh and how are you planning to dilute tea tree oil? in which proportions I mean?

I'm not currently diluting the tea tree oil. I wanted to perform a controlled experiment. :P I'm seeing that this is a mistake.

100% tea tree oil is NOT an effective acne treatment and WILL make your skin breakout MORE.

I plan on diluting tea tree in 95 parts water, and performing a 5% tea tree oil test in the future.

Although my results may be considered "inconclusive" because it's only been 1 week, I consider them to be conclusive because I was 100% zit free prior to following this study, and the only thing that has changed is the fact that I'm using tea tree oil instead of bp.

One would say to not use 100% bp to treat acne. :P And from this study, I'm going to say the same rule applies to tea tree oil. So like I said, if you do plan on using tea tree oil, try 95 parts something else (probably water) and 5 parts tea tree oil. Although I haven't tried this, I know that anything above 10% is likely way too high, and the study I have read shows 5% tea tree oil being compared to 5% benzoyl peroxide, so if you're going to give it a shot, give it a shot by following the rules of the original study :P

I Still have about 1 week of the study to go.

I can't wait until my next study where I will be using the NEW Proactiv Plus. Super excited. :)

But still have to drag through this week of applying 100% garbage to my face. :P

All for the sake of science. :P

Hey, Val, I'm definitely going to keep you updated with my results.

Yes I do use Dan's BP. and in fact I already can see it improved my skin, however I had the burn'n'sting situation due to my increased dosage which basically went from approx. 1/2 pump to 1 full pump (plus extra for the neck). apparently my skin wasn't ready for such a quick shift...

btw  have slight concerns about long-term affects of BP... have you experienced any negative ones after years on the regimen?

1/2 vs 1 Full Pump - I really dislike that Dan changed to a  pump. I enjoyed squeezing out the right amount of bp. I always use WAY less than Dan does. I take my pointer finger, and use 1 straight, small to medium line. I need to take picture :P.

Neck - I never rub BP directly onto my neck. It seems like the neck is more susceptible to side effects. lol I learned this the hard way. I recommend just applying BP to face, and then applying moisturizer to face and neck. The moisturizer will catch some of the bp from your face, and take just enough of it down to your neck area to prevent breakouts. Cool little tip I learned myself :P

Long Term - I would be more concerned about the long-term effects from having acne. :P Scarring, especially deep scarring does not go away. As per my experience, I have not had any negative side effects, skin aging, or loss of skin "lushness" from using benzoyl peroxide. I have been using BP now consistently for about 9 years.

#14 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your tips on how to use BP for the neck ;) It was also interesting to know that you don't use a lot of BP and still able to maintain clear skin for many years... I might reconsider my more=better approach to BP dosage. 

I am going back to proper regimen tomorrow as now my skin has cooled down and feels ready for the ride lol Over the course of these days I was using Jojoba Oil (with no creamy moisturizer at all) every day and in fact noticed significant improvements! It seems like it actually reduces existing acne and prevents from new breakouts. Do you think it's a good idea to use Jojoba oil as the actual moisturizer after BP instead of adding a few drops of it into the cream?

p.s. Hows it going with the study?

#15 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your tips on how to use BP for the neck wink.png It was also interesting to know that you don't use a lot of BP and still able to maintain clear skin for many years... I might reconsider my more=better approach to BP dosage. 

Definitely reconsider it, and just be sure you have a solid, repeatable gameplan down. I just spoke with a girl in class, literally 2 seconds ago, and she was complaining that Proactiv caused her to have a negative reaction. Although some people are in fact allergic to benzoyl peroxide, most people I talk to have these reactions because of

1. Their initial breakout phase (where cystic acne occurs)

2. Their b.p. incorrectly and not moisturizing.

It sounds like you have a great head on your shoulders, and you're going to get great results! I don't mean to continuously link out to my blog here, but I really do feel like some people can benefit, and if you want to see how I use Dan's Regimen, you can check out my guide here.

I am going back to proper regimen tomorrow as now my skin has cooled down and feels ready for the ride lol Over the course of these days I was using Jojoba Oil (with no creamy moisturizer at all) every day and in fact noticed significant improvements! It seems like it actually reduces existing acne and prevents from new breakouts. Do you think it's a good idea to use Jojoba oil as the actual moisturizer after BP instead of adding a few drops of it into the cream?

p.s. Hows it going with the study?

I'm glad you have let your skin settle down. The key is going to be to get over that initial hump I was talking about, where cystic acne, even for me will usually form! Once you get past this, usually within the first 2 weeks, you're going to see amazing results.

Although Jojoba oil is amazing, I wouldn't personally use it by itself, as I would find that it's way too oily! I would continue just adding a drop or two into Dan's moisturizer, or a moisturizer of your choice!

MY STUDY

My study is going great, and since 100% tea tree oil is breaking me out like crazy, I have decided to dilute tea tree oil in water, and will now be using 5% tea tree oil, and 95% water. I give all of the updates on my blog of course, and am doing my best to post my updates here.

My Day #3 Picture and Day #1 Picture Had No Marks

tea-tree-oil-for-acne-14-03-06-300x168.j

My Day #8 picture, you see I'm starting to breakout like crazy!

2013-03-11-a-300x168.jpg

I know some people may say, "Your skin is getting used to it, and that is why you're breaking out." In normal cases, I could see how this could be true, but since my skin was already 100% clear, if tea tree oil were to were (at 100% concentration) my skin would have stayed clear.

Conclusion: Do NOT use 100% tea tree oil on your face.

Hypothesis: Maybe 5% tea tree oil will work... That's what my new study will determine.

I'll keep you all posted. :)

#16 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the link! I'll check out;)

Looking forward to your results with diluted TTO))

#17 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the link! I'll check out;)

Looking forward to your results with diluted TTO))

I'm super exited to see how well 5% tea tree oil works as well! I jumped it a little early, I feel, when I started ragging on the 100% tto. I mean, really, 100% bp would give us horrendous results as well. If I can get 5% tto to work as well as 2.5% bp, it'll be a huge breakthrough. We'll see what happens. :)

#18 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hey you guys, I wanted to post an update!

Although 5% tea tree oil is significantly better to use than 100% tea tree oil, with less side effects, I'm still breaking out like crazy! This breakout from the 5% tea tree oil could be a carryover from the 100% solution, but it's my best bet that tea tree oil is just not a very effective acne treatment.

I took the below screen capture from one of my Youtube Videos.

major-breakouts.png

Although this may not look "that bad," mind you, with Dan's Regimen, my skin is ALWAYS 100% CLEAR!

I still have to follow through with my tea tree oil study, which is going all the way to March 31st, and then I'm switching over to a new product. Maybe I will do a case study on Acne.org? :P  I already know it works, but I know some people have their doubts.

What can you take from all of this?

Do NOT turn in your Acne.org kit for Tea Tree Oil!

Would you guys like a case study of Acne.org next? :)

Edited by ttomp13, 17 March 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#19 Valerie91

Valerie91

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:22 AM

hey) sorry to see you having bad experience with TTO. 

I've been thinking about your study and I thought it would be more accurate (I assume much more accurate) if you didn't jump from BP to TTO straight away, but gave your skin at least one (preferably two) week of complete rest. Nothing at all.  I mean changing treatments one by one is pretty stressful on your skin. Plus unless you know in what condition your acne really is (when you don't use any treatments for one-two weeks) it's kinda hard to say whether you breakout because you stopped using BP and it's just your "real skin" condition or you breakout because of the new treatment. 

Apart from that in the long-run case study mode your skin will most likely be freaked out of consistent-change of treatments and it might significantly decrease objectiveness of future studies as well.

Quite frankly, no matter how much we love real life studies approach in scientific studies they always use at least 10 (usually more) participants due to individuality of each person's skin condition/reaction.

p.s. Once again I find it extremely hard to stick to BP! I also find that I can definitely see improvements from Jojoba Oil. It just calms down my skin so well... I can see it's working even if not super fast.. but honestly BP is so itchy it was hard to concentrate on my exam studies... frankly I am thinking to give Jojoba Oil more dedication for a month or so and see how it goes. I've also been changing my lifestyle significantly for the past few weeks (mainly my diet/hormonal balance/exercise/sleep) and I can tell it does make the difference... obviously it takes more time but hey I don't mind putting in the effort when it really works and not only improves my skin, but my overall health. We should never forget that our skin is the mirror of internal hygiene and health...

#20 ttomp13

ttomp13

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:43 AM

hey) sorry to see you having bad experience with TTO. 

I've been thinking about your study and I thought it would be more accurate (I assume much more accurate) if you didn't jump from BP to TTO straight away, but gave your skin at least one (preferably two) week of complete rest. Nothing at all.  I mean changing treatments one by one is pretty stressful on your skin. Plus unless you know in what condition your acne really is (when you don't use any treatments for one-two weeks) it's kinda hard to say whether you breakout because you stopped using BP and it's just your "real skin" condition or you breakout because of the new treatment. 

Thank you for your comment.

I'm sorry too, because I really want to find a natural solution that will keep me as clear as 2.5% benzoyl peroxide does. Maybe one day, but tea tree oil just isn't it.

Earlier this year, I did a study called Acne on Purpose, where I stopped using acne treatments altogether. I found that TTO is actually causing my skin to breakout more than when I just used nothing at all.

I do expect to receive a ton of criticisms on my studies, but in my defense, most reviews you see on the net are from people who have never even used the product they're reviewing, and although I would like to give time between programs, I can only review about 24 products / programs a year, as it is. (2 products a month.) Any more time I spend in between products would mean I would be down in the teens, or maybe even 12 product reviews a year, which isn't nearly enough.

Apart from that in the long-run case study mode your skin will most likely be freaked out of consistent-change of treatments and it might significantly decrease objectiveness of future studies as well. Quite frankly, no matter how much we love real life studies approach in scientific studies they always use at least 10 (usually more) participants due to individuality of each person's skin condition/reaction.

You're right on with the real life studies and using many participants, but I disagree with my skin being "freaked out." I'll prove this when I switch back to benzoyl peroxide, and get clear. :P I can only say how my skin is reacting to a given situation, but I do allow people to submit their reviews on my site to get more reviews from multiple individuals.

Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to be running large case studies. :) I am however, doing what I can to share my experiences, and let other people share there own experiences. I see this as putting a positive mark on the acne community, and being seen as helpful/useful. My ultimate goal being, help thousands of people get the clear skin they deserve.

p.s. Once again I find it extremely hard to stick to BP! I also find that I can definitely see improvements from Jojoba Oil. It just calms down my skin so well... I can see it's working even if not super fast.. but honestly BP is so itchy it was hard to concentrate on my exam studies... frankly I am thinking to give Jojoba Oil more dedication for a month or so and see how it goes. I've also been changing my lifestyle significantly for the past few weeks (mainly my diet/hormonal balance/exercise/sleep) and I can tell it does make the difference... obviously it takes more time but hey I don't mind putting in the effort when it really works and not only improves my skin, but my overall health. We should never forget that our skin is the mirror of internal hygiene and health...

BP - I know that I cannot convince you to use BP. Fran, from High on Health had similar experiences to that of your own. I also had these experiences. When I first started using Proactiv, my results were horrid. I had dry, flaky red skin. It was horrible. Same with Dan's Regimen. I'm not saying you're using benzoyl peroxide incorrectly. It could just be that your skin is really sensitive to it.

For me though, I found that once I began using BP the right way, in the right amount, I started seeing great results, with no side effects.

Jojoba/Natural - Jojoba is absolutely amazing, and I'm glad you're seeing results with Jojoba and your balance of diet, exercise, and sleep. If you're drinking a gallon of water a day, that can also make a huge difference. It sounds like you're huge on getting clear the natural way. I'm going to continue to search for solutions, and keep doing my studies. :) Have you ever tried a sauna?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users