Accutane Log 20/f

41 replies to this topic

#1 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

After a decade of trying everything, my dermatologist finally prescribed me accutane. I am really excited but also really scared! Since I am a girl and have to go through the longer process, I don't actually start until March. My acne isn't "severe", but it has been moderate to bad since I was about 11 and I cannot take any more scarring on my face. Everything scars, even if I don't touch them. I have dark marks all over my face, and it sucks really bad since I have very light skin. I've done the antibiotics, all the creams, anything you can think of minus laser treatment and accutane. Everything I ever tried only made it worse and I wish I would have just gone this route years and years ago. I have hope that this will finally cure me and then I can be more confident. None of my friends or siblings have acne, they all have perfect skin so it is kind of a downer that I don't know a lot of people who can relate. Which is why I am thankful for everyone on here :)

I am not entirely sure yet what my dermatologist's plan is for me. I go see him in a week again to do another blood work thingy and then if I pass that I think that's when he will start me. I don't know if he will put me on anything else at the same time or any of that yet. 

Can anyone suggest any products or anything that helped them during the initial break out? I am really scared for that part and want to minimize it as much as possible. Also, how many times a day did anyone on accutane have to moisturize? I bought cerave products and am fully prepared smile.png and will probably get a good body lotion also. 

Also, since I am a girl, does it have to be mailed to me after each blood test or do I get it from a pharmacy? 

Edited by BlissfulBlue, 25 February 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#2 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

There really isnt anything you can do to stop the initial break out. You kinda just have to ride it out. Its not always bad for everyone though, it depends on your dosage and how bad it is to begin with. I wouldnt worry too much because youre going to have clear skin after it anyway. As for how much moisturizer agian it depends on your dosage and how dry / oily your skin is to begin with. My first course I was on 70mg a day and was SUPER dry. My second course I was on 40mg and its not bad at all. 

Absorica Aug 2013 -Feb2014

Claravis March 211 - July 2011

#3 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

Yeah I suppose I can deal with it since the results will be worth it! I am not 100% sure yet what dosage I will be on, but my derm said somewhere around 60 mg or a little less. I think this is a pretty decent amount for my weight(133lb)?

#4 CWR24

CWR24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me
  • Interests:Not acne

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Yeah thats a good dosage to be at. The more mg youre on the better chance of remission. Also make sure you pick up some aquaphor for your lips. Theyre going to be super dry!

Absorica Aug 2013 -Feb2014

Claravis March 211 - July 2011

#5 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

That won't be fun considering my lips are already dry :P.. Can I buy that anywhere?

#6 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

That won't be fun considering my lips are already dry tongue.png.. Can I buy that anywhere?

Yes, your local drugstore. The basic Vanicream or Theraplex is a nice substitute.

You're supposed to "moisturize" whenever you can on Accutane, even when your skin doesn't look dry. Your skin will be more sensitive than normal , so you need to have a heavy-duty lotion or cream to prevent water loss from the skin.

You need to use sunscreen while you're at it! At least SPF 30+, preferably with physical sunscreen. Vanicream has a physical, non-tinted IIRC. Blue Lizard has a few physical sunscreens, too.

#7 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I start next week. I am getting anxious but can't wait to see the results :)

Is it true that sometimes it helps if I take half my pill in the morning and half at night? 

#8 RohPas

RohPas

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

Good luck with your course. I've been on Isotretinoin for 9 weeks now and I'm happy with the results so far. Here's my log: 

http://www.acne.org/...log-30mg-daily/

#9 SmileyJoy

SmileyJoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hey BlissfulBlue! I start next week too and I'm so nervous about everything but I'm glad that I found someone who will be going through the same thing as me as the same time!! :)

#10 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Thanks RohPas :) !

And that is good to know SmileyJoy :) . Do you know what dosage you will be on?

#11 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Good luck to everyone here! Hope to see everyone with awesome before-and-after pics! :)

#12 Rassendyll

Rassendyll

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

Can anyone suggest any products or anything that helped them during the initial break out? I am really scared for that part and want to minimize it as much as possible. Also, how many times a day did anyone on accutane have to moisturize? I bought cerave products and am fully prepared and will probably get a good body lotion also. 

Also, since I am a girl, does it have to be mailed to me after each blood test or do I get it from a pharmacy? 

Hi, I've been on Roaccutane for a little over three weeks now and I've had no initial breakout. I did continue to get acne like usual for the first few days, but once it's in your system I've found that the acne pretty much starts to grind to a halt. Your body will start to push out all your blackheads though so be prepared for that (I used pore strips, but I don't know if everyone's skin can take the adhesive on the drug). 

Definitely moisturise all the time to avoid looking like a shedding snake. I put E45 on my lips at night and apply lip balm hourly. I'm one step away from eating the bloody stuff and my lips still are all raw and discoloured.  

#13 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Can anyone suggest any products or anything that helped them during the initial break out? I am really scared for that part and want to minimize it as much as possible. Also, how many times a day did anyone on accutane have to moisturize? I bought cerave products and am fully prepared and will probably get a good body lotion also. 

Hi, I've been on Roaccutane for a little over three weeks now and I've had no initial breakout. I did continue to get acne like usual for the first few days, but once it's in your system I've found that the acne pretty much starts to grind to a halt. Your body will start to push out all your blackheads though so be prepared for that (I used pore strips, but I don't know if everyone's skin can take the adhesive on the drug). 

Definitely moisturise all the time to avoid looking like a shedding snake. I put E45 on my lips at night and apply lip balm hourly. I'm one step away from eating the bloody stuff and my lips still are all raw and discoloured.  

That's great that you had no initial break out :) ! I hope that I will be as lucky as you. I've never tried pore strips but maybe I'll try one  before I start next week and see how it goes. 

I have been getting into the habit of moisturizing more than normal lately. I still have a bit of shopping to do(I need to stock up on some good chapstick and get more lotions), but I am fully prepared to be constantly moisturizing :) .I am really scared about my lips doing the same thing as yours though! The chapped lips seem basically inevitable. I hope yours feel better soon! 

#14 SmileyJoy

SmileyJoy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks RohPas smile.png !

And that is good to know SmileyJoy smile.png . Do you know what dosage you will be on?

I don't know what dosage I'll be on yet. My dermatologist asked how much I weight (130lbs) but she didn't mention my dosage. I'm thinking I'll be around 60mgs too but I will find out on Wednesday. What day are you starting? 

#15 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

That's great that you had no initial break out smile.png ! I hope that I will be as lucky as you. I've never tried pore strips but maybe I'll try one  before I start next week and see how it goes. 

I have been getting into the habit of moisturizing more than normal lately. I still have a bit of shopping to do(I need to stock up on some good chapstick and get more lotions), but I am fully prepared to be constantly moisturizing smile.png .I am really scared about my lips doing the same thing as yours though! The chapped lips seem basically inevitable. I hope yours feel better soon! 

Do you have a lipstick brush? Perhaps you can try dabbing on the moisturizer and sunscreen with that to minimize lip movement.

#16 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

I don't know what dosage I'll be on yet. My dermatologist asked how much I weight (130lbs) but she didn't mention my dosage. I'm thinking I'll be around 60mgs too but I will find out on Wednesday. What day are you starting? 

I am supposed to start Tuesday, so hopefully everything goes as planned!! I don't want any more delays :P 

Do you have a lipstick brush? Perhaps you can try dabbing on the moisturizer and sunscreen with that to minimize lip movement.

Dabbing moisturizer and sunscreen on my lips? Never thought of that, but it's definitely an idea :) . Have you done this?

#17 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

I am supposed to start Tuesday, so hopefully everything goes as planned!! I don't want any more delays tongue.png

Will you be posting before-and-after pictures? ;)

#18 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Will you be posting before-and-after pictures? wink.png

Of course :) , Michelle . I will be taking many pictures along the way.

So, is it true that even if you've never had cysts before taking accutane, it may give you some? 

#19 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

True initial breakouts are rare, less than 1%. It's difficult to know, really, because acne is cyclical and the severe pimples may have just happened anyway.

Yes, I've done the brush trick before, but with an eyeshadow brush, lol! It wasn't for Accutane induced dryness, though. Specifically, it was for stupid-bitterly-cold-weather-induced dryness.

#20 BlissfulBlue

BlissfulBlue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

True initial breakouts are rare, less than 1%. It's difficult to know, really, because acne is cyclical and the severe pimples may have just happened anyway.

Yes, I've done the brush trick before, but with an eyeshadow brush, lol! It wasn't for Accutane induced dryness, though. Specifically, it was for stupid-bitterly-cold-weather-induced dryness.

Lol I know what you mean about the stupid-bitterly-cold-weather-induced dryness. It's very dry where I live, and at a very high altitude so I have been experiencing that for a few months. 

That's good to know that initial breakouts are rare, because I have been terrified for that part!!! It's what's been giving me the most stress :P 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users