Photo

What Is The Best Way To Lower Dose Of Spironolactone Once Clear?

cystic acne hormones prescription weightloss side effects diet moderate acne clear now

2 replies to this topic

#1 TMinSB

TMinSB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Now that I am clear and have cleaned up my diet I want to try to lower my dose to see if I can gain some of the water weight back (it's made me loose 10lbs I couldn't afford to loose) and if I can stay clear on 50mg or 25mg a day. Is it best to drop from 100mg to 75mg to 50mg or is it ok to drop from 100mg to 50mg?

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE.

#2 bradmanda

bradmanda

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

I am also weaning off and lowering my dose. (I was cleared with 100 mg, birth control, and a low-carb, dairy-free diet).

I am reducing my dose by 25 mg every two weeks, but this isn't based on any particular study or doctor's advice. Intuitively, I think it would be easier for your body to recover its hormonal balance if you slowly reduce your dose.

I went off spironolactone once already, and my acne came back approx. a month afterwards. I plan on also stopping the birth control and using DIM as my main, "medicinal" way to combat my acne. 

#3 TMinSB

TMinSB

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Bradmanda. You are right that it makes sense the body would do better with small adjustments. Have you had any breakouts since lowering dose? I have the Mirena IUD and want to get that out soon too. I have a little fear that my skin will go crazy again though.

What does DIM stand for? Sorry, I am new to this :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users