48 replies to this topic

#41 SoftFocus

SoftFocus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:painting, art, biking, nature

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

wishclean, I think it's doing better. It doesn't look inflected to me in the photos you posted today. From the front it doesn't even look like you have scratches, so I'm sure it will heal if you give it time. People post photos after doing laser and dermaroll and they look way worse but heal in time. I know this was not intentional skin wounding though, but maybe it will heal just as those procedures heal. 

I had microderm done and I broke out from it, so I think breaking out a little might be normal as long as it's not too much. Keep using aloe to speed up healing.

#42 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:56 PM

It does look a lot better now. I hope you're using sunscreen with at least zinc oxide in it. Zinc oxide (and titanium dioxide) is much friendlier for sensitive skin. SPF 30 is a must. The last thing you want is more inflammation and redness while your skin is healing. Still can stress sun protection enough!

Mychelle's sunscreen (IIRC, it's not tinted and not quite SPF 30) comes to mind. EltaMD is pretty good. I'll look around for "sensitive skin" ones with few ingredients.

One thing off the top of my head to avoid is Dermalogica's "UltraCalming" line. I don't trust it, and they throw in oat extracts to make it look more "soothing" than it actually is.

#43 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, Dermalogica is almost as bad as neutrogena. I like some of their products (the vitamin face mask), but all their cleansers and creams have crap ingredients mixed in with only a few good ones. I use Image Cosmetics, the Ormedic line...I head that EltaMD is one that dermatologists recommend but I haven't tried it yet, where can I find it? Haven't heard about Mychelle's sunscreen....is it an online brand?

Well, today the most noticeable scratches have faded but I did get some breakouts and I see some brown spots on the side too. With makeup on, I have small bumps under the skin/ whiteheads...not sure how to get rid of them, they re-appeared after the facial. I'll take more photos this weekend bc I'm in a rush.

Attached Thumbnails

• Makeup.jpg

#44 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

You're looking much better!

Both the brands I mentioned are found online. I think you can find a similar physical sunscreen in your local store: Vanicream SPF 50+, which I don't think it's tinted. I know several more sunscreen brands, but I'm looking for the sunscreens that aren't tinted. A lot of people I know hate tinted sunscreens (including myself). So difficult to find a cheap/lower-priced, non-tinted sunscreen. rolleyes.gif

#45 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Thanks! This was with a CC cream on.  I just wanted to see if it looks flat without the redness, because the redness made it look worse. Today it's even less inflammed... I hate to say it, but maybe there was a logic to the madness... after my skin was destroyed, it began to regenerate new tissue and collagen. I didn't think it could heal as fast, but also my previous scarring looks a bit better and more plump. I have been taking 1000-1500 of vitamin C split into 2-3 doses throughout the day, as well as antioxidant DIM (for other reasons, but it's helping overall). I think that has helped my skin bounce back so quickly. And aloe & honey topically. 

I was considering going to the spa to get the free red light treatments they promised me but if I go I'm sure the esthetician will pretend she know what she was doing all along. Also, I'm worried that if they see my skin now they will think I overreacted because now the scratches are barely visible. I already put my membership on hold, and will see how my skin does on its own for a while.

I would like to go out in the sun tomorrow because I need to get my vitamin D...I was out for 20 minutes yesterday and the day before, maybe it's safe now (with sunscreen)? 

#46 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Update: The scars are almost gone. Now I can see all my red marks more clearly. I didn't go for the red light treatments...and anyway, if I go in at this point and they see my face they will think I was lying about the severity of the scratches because they are hardly visible now. Anyway, I started the thread to hopefully give others who had this accident happen some hope that their skin will be ok within a week or so. I used aloe and honey topically, and took vitamin C and other antioxidants (DIM) every day. I think my skin has healed fast, and I didn't have to use anything stronger.

#47 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Gah, I wanted to reply sooner.

It's good that your scratches are nearly gone. Inflamed scratches and wounds tend to heal quickly, unless they're infected or something.

Did you decide to continue with your spa membership, yet?

BTW, you can still wear sunscreen without getting Vitamin D deficiency. Even sunscreens with high SPF (like, 50+) only block 98%. Also, not everyone applies sunscreen all over the body. So, the sun is still getting through the clothes. Normal clothes only provide SPF of 2.

#48 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:09 AM

It's good that your scratches are nearly gone. Inflamed scratches and wounds tend to heal quickly, unless they're infected or something.

BTW, you can still wear sunscreen without getting Vitamin D deficiency. Even sunscreens with high SPF (like, 50+) only block 98%. Also, not everyone applies sunscreen all over the body. So, the sun is still getting through the clothes. Normal clothes only provide SPF of 2.

Well, my skin is healed now and it actually looks better than before the facial in terms of texture. Not sure if what helped was this accidental microderm though, because I have upped my dose of DIM and it's doing wonders. 

I put my spa membership on hold for now...I would love to get another peel there because I have called around and only 1 other spa carries similar products but the woman who works there didn't seem that inviting and it took her 4 days to get back to me. I read reviews online and they are not good, whereas the spa I used to go to had great reviews (which of course they reward customers with a $10 discount, but still...). I don't think the esthetician wants to give me another facial anw. She hasn't texted me since I got upset with her, and now I feel embarrassed to go back. It's weird that I'm the one who feels embarrassed, not her. If she sees my face now she will say she was right and that what she did ultimately helped me (even though it was an accident and not something I would put up with again). Anyway, I'll see if she texts me next month otherwise I will have to either keep looking or just not risk it. When I found this esthetician, I went to her to fix an allergic reaction/ folliculitis infection that got worse after a facial at a different spa. So with me it's a gamble. 

I didn't know clothes offer almost no sun protection. Actually, this past year my vitamin D levels were really low because I was obsessed with using sunscreen all over (SPF 35+)....I might try a lower SPF. Do you know any natural hypoallergic body sunscreens? I usually spend more on face sunscreens but for the body I would like something cheap and easy to find. 

#49 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

Well, my skin is healed now and it actually looks better than before the facial in terms of texture. Not sure if what helped was this accidental microderm though, because I have upped my dose of DIM and it's doing wonders. 

I put my spa membership on hold for now...I would love to get another peel there because I have called around and only 1 other spa carries similar products but the woman who works there didn't seem that inviting and it took her 4 days to get back to me. I read reviews online and they are not good, whereas the spa I used to go to had great reviews (which of course they reward customers with a $10 discount, but still...). I don't think the esthetician wants to give me another facial anw. She hasn't texted me since I got upset with her, and now I feel embarrassed to go back. It's weird that I'm the one who feels embarrassed, not her. If she sees my face now she will say she was right and that what she did ultimately helped me (even though it was an accident and not something I would put up with again). Anyway, I'll see if she texts me next month otherwise I will have to either keep looking or just not risk it. When I found this esthetician, I went to her to fix an allergic reaction/ folliculitis infection that got worse after a facial at a different spa. So with me it's a gamble. 

I didn't know clothes offer almost no sun protection. Actually, this past year my vitamin D levels were really low because I was obsessed with using sunscreen all over (SPF 35+)....I might try a lower SPF. Do you know any natural hypoallergic body sunscreens? I usually spend more on face sunscreens but for the body I would like something cheap and easy to find. 

It's difficult finding cheap "body" sunscreens. Most of them are sprays, which are tricky to use because it's easy to not apply how much you need. Using a 6 oz sunscreen daily for your arms, legs, back, chest, and face will last you about 6 days.

Okay, I just found a "natural" body sunscreen with physical protection not in a spray: Sunology Natural Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50. The moringa oil in it doesn't appear to cause contact dermatitis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users