Great Article On Acne-Diet Connection By Nutrition Professional

45 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

^Yeah, I don't know about that.  But I happen to get a great deal of my food including organic produce & eggs from free roaming insect & green eating ducks & hens. This is because I am active with organizations & people that care about the planet and try to make it better.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#42 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

You can eat well for less but it takes some planning and cooking from scratch.  I get eggs from a local family whose chickens roam around their farm...these eggs have very yellow yolks (sign of good nutrient value) and only cost me $3 a carton.  This is relatively cheap.  Me and my 6'4" husband are both big eaters since I do marathons and he is out in the field canvassing streams and I plan meals so we can have big portions and leftovers.  Here's how we eat heartily and with whole foods in a typical week for less...

At the beginning of the week I go to our local health food COOP and buy a whole free range chicken and have the butcher cut it up (this is much cheaper than buying already cut up chicken plus you get the part they don't usually include).  I buy several heads of lettuce, several kinds of organic dark greens (chard, kale, etc.) carrots, onions, garlic, cucumbers, red peppers, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, purple cabbage, yams, leeks, red and yellow potatoes (5# bags --- cheaper), and any other vegies typically on sale so it varies.  I buy whatever fruit is on sale and appealing.  I buy oatmeal, rice, raisons, honey, brown rice noodles, and whatever else I need from the bulk area (cheaper than prepackaged).  I buy whole grain bread for my husband (flour products seem to aggravate my acne), roasted dandelion root tea, soy milk, organic good fat margarine for my husband (oils aggravate my acne), brown rice cakes, any canned beans but only if on sale.  At the regular grocery store is where I buy paper products, Newman's lemonaide for my husband, etc.  I strive to only buy things that are on sale or whatever I have coupons for (but never junk foods). 

From this I typically make a roasted chicken dish, 1-2 huge soups each week, burritos, a vegetable casserole, whole grain pancakes, etc.  I make muffins from scratch and also quick breads like banana, etc.  I make waffles and pancakes from scratch. 

We alternate fish and fowl from week to week.  So one week we buy a whole wild salmon (way way cheaper than cut-up salmon) and my husband cuts it up himself...although a butcher will do this.  We eat half a salmon within a week...every night for 3 nights and freeze the rest for later meals.  This is an extremely economical way to eat high quality fish...but people rarely do it.  The butchers are always pleased to see someone who can appreciate the value and quality of eating whole fish versus fish that has been cut-up, sitting in the case for days and costs a fortune!

I use unused parts of the cut-up chicken (back, neck, wings) to make the broth for soups and this only takes about an hour or so simmering in a huge soup pot.  I strain out the chicken bones, take off any meat and put back into the broth.  Then I add tons of cut-up vegetables and potatoes or lentils or however I am preparing the soup that day.  I usually add a can of beans too.  One of our huge soups last for at least 3 meals including topping for rice at lunches.   

If you buy in bulk and on sale and eat the way our great grandparents did then you can stretch your food dollars pretty far.  But you have to be willing to cook things from scratch.  Plus the food tasted soooo much better!  I could save even more dollars if I was preparing my own beans but I buy the canned ones (BPA free cans). 

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#43 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

That's great, but I'm a city man, no "local" farms near anywhere..

#44 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'm in the middle of a large sprawling city too.  And i refuse to drive to suburbs.  The farm I volunteer at is about 1 mile east of downtown Houston in a long neglected, blighted area that is also a food desert.  And Houston has tons of such spaces.We are working to create an urban agricultural district to grow urban farms & farmers, to provide employment & to turn blighted lots into gardens of Eden.   I also volunteer at a food coop a few blocks from my home that has CSA shares from a local farmer, plus other local plus purchases from a big vendor of organic produce.  I get paid in food & could choose eggs there. But I get duck eggs from the director of the Wildlife Center of Texas where I volunteer. The ducks are used in Oiled Wildlife Response training, which I've also done.  See what doing good gets you.

CVD,  Is the salmon not previously frozen?  Do you cut it frozen?  The thing is, if it was previously frozen, I want it to still be frozen when I buy it.  I've asked at the store about getting half a salmon still frozen and have been told it has to thaw for them to cut it, therefore they only sell thawed previously frozen portions. In other words, don't cut it up unless they thaw it first.

Edited by alternativista, 14 February 2014 - 05:12 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#45 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Wow --- I admire your work in turning blighted areas into edens...fantastic!  I'm blessed to be in a small college town in Southern Oregon that supports small local organic farmers and we have a huge COOP that I'm a member of.  Couldn't live without it.  I remember in the 80's when we first got it started and it was hard to convince local farmers to go organic and much harder to get organic produce.  Lots of good changes since then!

Yes --- you're right.  Butchers won't cut frozen salmon so if you're doing it that way then you have to know fish and how to check for freshness, etc. or have a butcher you trust.  I'm sort of good at this but I'm always amazed how my husband can spot a fish that has been stressed, is diseased or less than fresh...when I thought it looked just fine.  Smelled okay...but there is more to check for that is difficult to explain in words. 

This pertains to any kind of fish and we buy thawed halibut and cod in addition to salmon.  If we're at the coast we buy fresh tuna but it's caught same day.  And of course my husband fishes himself.

Our store sells whole frozen, partially frozen, and totally thawed wild salmon.  It's sort of a crap shoot to find the partially thawed salmon that can be cut by the butcher.  My husband and I buy frozen whole salmon that my husband inspects for quality and then we partially thaw in the fridge for a day before cutting the next evening.  It's still mostly frozen but can be cut with a good fish knife...which my husband has because he's a fish biologist.  You can buy these knives at quality knife stores or fishing gear stores.

I do most of the other grocery shopping but I admit I rely on my husband to buy our fish!

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#46 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

SHEEEEEESHHHHHHH...

Dolan be trollin'

Dolan: if you think the nutritional approach to healing acne is bogus, please stop bothering people who don't.

Anywho. Completely clear (and losing college weight) on a no sugar, no dairy, minimal grain diet. I drink a ton of my "special juice" made from carrots, beets and one green apple (and sometimes ginger). I think that all foods are not created equal. Take free-range eggs for example: Their yolks are almost orange, and they are creamy and delicious and good for me. Factory farmed eggs are less attractive, with pale yolks and less flavor. I am not a scientist, but I'd rather eat pretty food and eating pretty, organic food has been the best thing for my skin. Maybe I'm sensitive to pesticides. I don't know, and I frankly don't care to find out. All I know is what I can eat and what I can't eat and that's good enough for me. It makes sense that as a human being, it's healthiest for me to eat beautiful, natural foods that humans have been eating for thousands of years.

If it comes in a box, is fried, or has a TV commercial, don't eat it!

Suffered from acne as a young adult that went into remission when put on hormonal birth control. Went off the HBC around age 22 and the acne returned with a vengeance (along with a host of other hormonal complaints). 100% clear with a modified diet that excludes dairy, sugars, grains, citrus and cured meats and emphasizes whole food-based nutrition from both plant and animal sources, most notably organ meats like liver and juiced whole vegetables. I have included a recipe for the most helpful juice I have come up with for skin complaints. I drink it every day, and it is invaluable for acne due to the large amounts of vitamin A (carotenoids) from both the carrots and beets. It also helps improve your coloring if you are very fair, giving you a pinkish, more radiant look (not orange. Don't worry!).

Magic Juice

In a juicer, combine:

5-6 carrots

1 medium beet

2-3 stalks of celery

1 small apple (Green is preferred. Omit if you are very sugar-sensitive)

1 small (1inch) piece of ginger (optional, but good for digestion)

This makes a variable amount of juice depending on the size of the vegetables you use.

Drink this throughout the morning until it's gone. Store in the fridge not longer than one day.

Having perfectly clear skin on my wedding day was worth all the headache and effort of figuring out how diet affects acne!

10253792_10152330899888950_7455033623381

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users