4 replies to this topic

#1 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I went to get my Vit D levels tested this week. I am brown skinned. I walk at about 12pm everyday for 30mins around a canyon behind my workplace and also supplement with the Now Brand 5000IU Vit D3.

After 7 months of supplementation my number is 41!!

Before that I took 3 months of weekly Vitamin D2 and it raised my Vit D levels from 13 to 51.

Should I bump it up to 10000IUs. By the way I live in San Diego..I wonder why I am so deficient!!

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Wow. What was the dosage of the D2?

Also, two things that might be significant. One is that supposedly you make mst of your vitamin d in your torso, not that much in limbs & face. The other is to check with Dejaclairvoyant who says that her body doesn't absorb d3 or make much D despite being a pale skinned person in Florida.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#3 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I was taking 50000IUs of Vit D2 once a week while on supplementation.

Let me post my detailed report both times: 

After D2 supplementation, last June: June 26th:

Component     Standard  Range         Your Value

25-Hydroxy D, Total 30 - 100 ng/mL        51

25-Hydroxy D3 SEE NOTE ng/mL            6

25-Hydroxy D2 SEE NOTE ng/mL           45

After D3 supplementation 5000IUs daily from then on:

Component      Standard Range           Your Value

25-Hydroxy D,  Total 30 - 100 ng/mL       41

25-Hydroxy D3 SEE NOTE ng/mL            41

25-Hydroxy D2 SEE NOTE ng/mL            < 4

Edited by sustakp, 07 February 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#4 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I wonder why it's usually one or the other form of D that is low...either D2 or D3. I guess if your body has trouble absorbing D3, you can go back to D2 supplements. But, D2 supplements only raise D2 levels, so it's good to try and get some D3 if you can. 

Greengables mentioned that showering after sun exposure as a hinder to absorbing vitamin D. So basically unless we don't shower for 48 hours (or atleast 24 hours), we don't fully absorb Vitamin D from the sun. Not sure how valid this theory is, though, but it does make some sense. I'm not about to give up showering though! This is a quote from Dr. Mercola's site:

http://articles.merc...n-d-levels.aspx

What Does Showering Have to Do With Your Vitamin D Levels?

First, it’s important to understand that vitamin D3 is an oil soluble steroid hormone. It’s formed when your skin is exposed to ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation from the sun (or a safe tanning bed). When UVB strikes the surface of your skin, your skin converts a cholesterol derivative in your skin into vitamin D3.

However, the vitamin D3 that is formed is on the surface of your skin does not immediately penetrate into your bloodstream. It actually needs to be absorbed from the surface of your skin into your bloodstream.

The critical question then is: how long does it take the vitamin D3 to penetrate your skin and reach your bloodstream?

If you’re thinking about an hour or two, like I did until recently, you’re wrong. Because new evidence shows it takes up to 48 hours before you absorb the majority of the vitamin D that was generated by exposing your skin to the sun!

Therefore, if you shower with soap, you will simply wash away much of the vitamin D3 your skin generated, and decrease the benefits of your sun exposure. So to optimize your vitamin D level, you need to delay washing your body with soap for about two full days after sun exposure.

Now not many people are not going to bathe for two full days.

However you really only need to use soap underneath your arms and your groin area. , so this is not a major hygiene issue. You’ll just want to avoid soaping up the larger areas of your body that were exposed to the sun.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Well, 5k per day is 35k, so you were taking less D3
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users