Photo

Is There Anything I Can Eat That Won't Break Me Out?!

diet dairy meat food acne

26 replies to this topic

#1 Lynn8808

Lynn8808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, psychology, behavioral science, volunteering. Mainly, obtaining clear skin.

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

So here recently, I've been scared to eat hardly anything because I'm worried it will break me out. There's numerous food items that I can recall having a pimple for consuming. I know for sure dairy causes me to break out, but I'm not sure about anything else. And it seems like every time I research a certain food, everyone's like, "Yup, that breaks you out. Don't eat it". What am I left to eat? I'm trying to be healthier. I wanted some whole grain oatmeal this morning, but apparently I can't eat it because grains cause acne. So I thought, okay, I'll have some eggs, but nope! Those apparently break you out too. Apparently meat, seafood, sugar (obviously), and even some fruits cause acne breakouts. I want clear skin more than anything in the world, but does that mean I have to starve myself? Everything I try to eat, someone always says, "Hey, you probably shouldn't eat that, it'll give you pimples". 

Has anyone else found this concept annoying? 

The amount of effort and lifestyle changes we acne suffers' do for clear skin is ridiculous. 

List of foods you supposedly not supposed to eat: 

-Dairy 

-Eggs

-Meat

-Seafood

-Some fruit

-Some vegetables

-Grains

-Sugar

-Nuts 

WHAT IS THERE LEFT TO EAT??? 

#2 LeadingForce

LeadingForce

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

you can eat them just in moderate ..

#3 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

You have to do a reliable food sensitivity test like MRT. Everyone reacts differently to different foods, you can't listen to other people and apply their experience to your own diet, it won't work that way. If you google any food on the planet you can propably find at least one person who "breaks out" from that food, so if you follow that rule you really can't eat anything and it would be better if you would just die.

#4 OilyAcneQueen

OilyAcneQueen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

You can eat accutane.

#5 elkhoundgold

elkhoundgold

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:So many...where do I start? D=

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Eating this way has caused me to be malnourished in certain vitamins. It seems like a bad idea. Just get on low dose Accutane and eat what you need. 

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

I don't know where you got that list. Most of those things would only break YOU out if YOU had an intolerance for them

You know you break out fom dairy. SO avoid dairy. You should also avoid high glycemic impacting meals, dinks, snacks. Limit processed foods and replace with real, whole nutrient rich food.

And instead of being afraid the rest, test by methodically avoiding them and noting any change. Some people break out from eggs because its common to be intolerant to them, especially eggs from factory farms. You have to test for yourself. Same with nuts, 'some fruits,', 'some vegetables' etc.

Edited by alternativista, 06 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#7 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hey girl! I just gave up dairy and sugar and citrus fruit and my skin looks great! I also try to eat low GI but that's more for weight management than acne. Though I'm sure reducing insulin spikes helps with acne as well. Fear not! Animal foods are not necessarily bad for you! Do avoid factory farmed crap because it's loaded with toxins and hormones. The point is to try to avoid foods that trigger YOUR acne. Most people suggest to avoid milk and that's because it's our experience that milk triggers acne. I do find that giving up milk and sugar is the best thing most people can do to stop breakouts in their tracks. It's such a common sensitivity. I know a person that breaks out after eating shellfish. That does not mean everyone should give up shellfish, only that she personally has a sensitivity to it. I'd say to give up milk, sugar, and grains for a period of time to see how you react. If your skin starts to clear, add back in the grains and see what happens. If it does not, address other areas of your diet. Maybe there is something you eat on a regular basis that you are sensitive to. Good luck!

I eat:

-Eggs

-Meat

-Seafood (is really good for you... who told you it was bad?)

-All fruits except bananas and citrus (but only in moderation)

-All vegetables

-Grains (occasionally. I still avoid gluten for the most part)

-Nuts (nuts are fine)

Edited by dscully, 06 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#8 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

I don't understand why all the accutane supporters troll this forum and recommend accutane to everyone who asks for diet advice. It's very insensitive and irresponsible to recommend something that has potentially life-changing side effects to people casually asking for DIET advice here. For some, popping a magic pill is an excuse to overindulge in unhealthy foods and be unhygienic. As if Americans need more excuses to be lazy and unhealthy. *ok rant over. I hope I don't have to read any other accutane advice on this forum, this is not the place for it*****

Anyway, to answer Lynn's post, don't get paranoid about food. That can trigger an eating disorder. Perhaps start with a paleo diet, and then begin to include more things and see how your skin react. When I was trying to figure out food intolerances, I stuck to a very basic diet of mostly vegetables (no tomatoes for me due to histamines), sweet potatoes (& some white potatoes too), a little bit of rice sometimes, and green juices. Now I expanded my diet to the point where I can eat more grains (gluten free cereal and waffles) and even some coconut ice cream and protein/fiber bars. I don't feel deprived at all, and I look healthier than I did when I was eating whatever I wanted. But my issue is mainly with digestion and histamines, not a specific intolerance to certain foods. Some people don't actually have food sensitivities/allergies, they have issues with digestion. In this case, supplementing with digestive enzymes can help while you figure out ways to treat the root of the problem. 

Edited by WishClean, 06 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#9 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

I'm right there with being anti-accutane. Accutane is a serious chemotherapy drug that is being used off-label in adolescents and adults with utter impunity. It alters gene expression and prevents your skin and your body from functioning in a normal way. I know a person that took it when we were in high school and she now has Chrohn's Disease. I'm not a scientist or a doctor, but I think using Accutane for mild to moderate acne is like shooting a rabbit with a rocket launcher. It's way way way overkill. Why would anyone rather take chemotherapy drugs meant for people dying of cancer instead of tweaking their diet? Gosh! Finding your personal food triggers and clearing your skin up on your own steam is so utterly satisfying because you're taking control of your own life and your own health and beauty.

I almost forgot to mention that I drink a fairly large amount of vegetable juice made from celery, carrots and beets with one apple added in for taste. I honestly think that it's been the carrots and beets that have been that extra weapon in my arsenal in clearing up my skin and making it look really great. Most people don't eat beets, but I find the juice to be very tasty and lightly sweet. When mixed with carrot juice (which is also sweet) and celery and an apple, it's really a delicious mix!

May the bird of good fortune continue to nest in your rooftop!

#10 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

You know what, I have been dairy free now for three days for the first time in my life and I got three super angry pimples in that time and these are really angry, I don't usually get these kind of pimples ever. So what the fuck is so great about being dairy free!??

#11 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Dolan Duck, I would certainly not say that giving up dairy could have caused your breakout. I don't know the rest of your diet, so it would be impossible for me to say exactly what it was. IMO, giving up dairy is always beneficial for acne sufferers, particularly women, and it's easy to do so I always recommend it.

I'm finding your input to be a bit inflammatory and not very constructive. If you're not ready to be helpful and constructive, please go to another messageboard. Maybe 4chan is more your speed?

Edited by dscully, 07 February 2014 - 12:13 PM.

#12 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

well you are dairy free, but what else are you eating?

diet changes are hard work, if you aren't willing to be patient then go a different route

accutane didn't work for me, quite the opposite, made things worse and I HAD to find another way

I kept journals and ate a clean diet, low sugar (I won't avoid it completely), nothing fried or processed, relatively low carbs, healthy fruits, veges and meats....from there I elimated gluten for 30 days and kept track of progress...results for me were very good (they won't be for everybody, but they were for me), then from there I eliminated dairy for 30 days....I'm almost clear now, and now I work on scarring

but you need to rotate your diet, for me nuts and nut butters (avoid peanuts, the worst nut of all) are fine, I rotate almonds and walnuts and cashews...and rotate meats and veggies too...avoid processed anything, minimize sugar intake and be smart about carbs

there are PLENTY of things you can eat...you just can't go for fast food and processed crap....but no one should be starving or afraid to eat

so make the big changes (no chips, no doritos, no crap, come on you can do it!!) and then do the elimination on dairy and gluten, they really do help alot of people...if you see no change in 30 days good for you, you can have dairy or gluten in moderation

that's the key, just don't over do anything and rotate good foods

#13 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:41 PM

Dscully, wow, just because I have a duck as my avatar won't make me a troll. I find your response very offensive.

mrsrobinson, I haven't eaten gluten in over 10 years. Same goes for any fast food, candy sugar drinks. I eat everyday, vegetables, sweet potatoes, brown rice, oats, apples, salmon, eggs, brown rice protein, pea protein, egg white protein and soy protein powders. And the only liquids I have drink in about 10 years is water about a 1 -1 1/2 gallons a day. The only thing I changed in my diet is that i stopped taking whey protein powder. I haven't been stressed out or anything special. I just suddenly got three crazy pimples right after stopping whey protein. The last time I have seen that angry pimples was when I was a teenager. I forgot to add that I also consume healthy fats everyday, extra virgin olive oil, fish oil and evening primrose oil.

And my "candy" in this life is my muscular greek god body, it's far more satisfying to watch myself naked from the mirror and let women do my body some nasty xxx stuff than to indulge myself with some junk food.

Edited by Dolan Duck, 07 February 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#14 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

i would ditch the soy protein, read up about it, even if it isn't causing you to break out, it's likely causing other problems especially for males, I wouldn't take any chances and there are alternatives ....the rest of your diet sounds good, but the 'I eat these every day' thing is not rotation....rotate good foods, try not to eat the same thing every day

and 3 days without dairy isn't a very prolonged trial....so many things effect our acne, so many, I kept a journal of many different things, trying to gauge stress levels, etc...I gave every diet change 30 days

control what you can and like we are saying dairy and wheat are triggers for many, no one ever said all, acne isn't that easy as you know...we all have to work hard to find our own triggers

but be smart, good foods rotated -  and give the elimination diet a fair chance

#15 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:12 AM

I'd ditch all the processed protein powders. I did a number on myself with both whey and soy protein. Whey was the worst, acne-wise, but soy also disrupted my hormones, made my cycles irregular, and gave me bad acne around my chin. I know it imitates estrogen, so that might be even worse for males. Info on your sex life is unnecessary... eew.

Edited by dscully, 08 February 2014 - 08:15 AM.

#16 DanTheNewWorld

DanTheNewWorld

there's no Justice, it's just Us

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:making buddies with musicians derived/altered by acne :)

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

i don't regard foods as possible allergens, but rather "liver attacking". wine will give me acne much sooner than a cookie. i'm officially one month without gluten and there was no difference, back on gluten for almost a week and again no difference. and i bet dairy wouldn't matter (i stoped it 3moths ago), but i can't put my hand in fire for it because it might have excess hormones causing liver or adrenal via kidneys problems ..i haven't studied it too much.

how people can separate these approaches into separate categories idk, especially the "holistic" category which is a contradiction lol "get out of the holistic forum with your hormonal hints".

also the medication section separation is strange because it's made by humans, versus nature 1.0 which is plain foods, so there should also be a philosophic category

Edited by DanTheNewWorld, 08 February 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#17 Dolan Duck

Dolan Duck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

WOW, I can't say I'm surprised on the low intelligence level of people in this forum. That soy protein estrogen thing is a MYTH, in recent studies it has proven totally false. Soy doesn't affect estrogen level compared to plasebo group in any way. I think I'm gonna take a little break from this forum, the level of idiotism is too great in you guys, makes my head hurt.

#18 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

Whoah whoah.... Dolan...

did you just call everyone in here stupid? It's not a myth that unfermented soy products imitate estrogen and can throw off hormone levels in both men and women. In fact, soy is so good at imitating estrogen that "natural" hormone supplements marketed to menopausal women contain soy isoflavones. If you're going to go all science up in here, at least learn to spell "placebo".

Edited by dscully, 08 February 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#19 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

In order for soy to mimic estrogen, it would have to be in large amounts. A little bit of soy won't be estrogenic, but a LOT of soy (and it can be cumulative) has the potential to sway hormones in favor of estrogen and even xenoestrogens, which are the "bad" form of E. I forgot which of the 3 main estrogen hormones is the one that shouldn't be elevated too much. 

There are women with PCOS who try to conceive using soy lecithin, so there has to be some truth to the estrogenic effects of soy...but again, soy would need to be consumed in substantial quantities in order to make a noticeable impact in hormonal balance.

#20 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Hi Lynn8808

There are some basics to helping your skin fight inflammation and extra sticky sebum...both of which clog pores and can end up as acne.  Here's an easy basic list of what to avoid (any why) and what to try. 

Avoid

Dairy (hormones, iodine)

Sugary foods (insulin spikes)

Flour foods more than once a week or so (too concentrated and for some there are gluten issues)

Caffeine (inflammation)

Nuts (excess oil...too much for skin already prone to excess sebum in pores)

Processed oils except for teensy amount of EVOO with cooking when needed

Try eating

Citrus fruits (for some they cause breakouts and others nothing)

Spicy foods (same)

Wild meat, fish and fowl in moderation (eat like Asians...use like a condiment)

Eggs (some people are allergic - others no problem)

Non-dairy milks such as soy milk

Eat without worry

Vegetables - especially dark greens and cuciferous

Non-citrus fruits - especially berries

Root vegetables like whole potatoes with skins, yams, carrots

Whole grains like rice, quinoa, millet

I hope this helps.  Everyone is different and acne sufferers especially seem to have skin that is sensitive to foods.  It takes a lot of experimentation to get just the right mix.  Getting tested for food allergies is worth every penny...but you can also try elimination things on your own.  Key is to not get too wacked out about it...but that is hard especially when you can see a connection between what you eat and pimples.  For years (decades) I was eating very healthy but still broke out.  Was taking meds all this time but still broke out.  Then I got allergy tested and avoided certain foods for several years...helped but still broke out.  Finally took it seriously to concentrate on eating mainly whole foods (along with taking my meds)...rather than foods that have been processed which includes flour products.  This resulted in much clearing of my skin but what finally cleared me up totally was avoiding nuts and oils.  Avoiding oils made a HUGE difference in my skin...pores got clear, inflammation went away --- can't emphasize that eneough.  I still take meds and plan to wean off them to see if diet alone will keep me clear. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users