Spiro Round 2

31 replies to this topic

#1 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I decided to start a blog again to try and keep me positive. Over a year ago I took a plan B and broke out with the worst hormonal acne. My doctor prescribed me Spiro and epiduo. I remember it being hell, the epiduo was so harsh on my skin that I broke out in the worst acne I have ever had, I stayed in my house crying every night and well shut myself off from the world. After 3 months I had clear skin and I mean clear, if someone would have told me that it was going to be absolute hell the first two months but then you magically clear up I think I would have not fallen so deep into a depression. Well I stayed on this duo for prob 4 or 5 months, and stopped the epiduo. After about 7 months stopped the Spiro and within 4 months I have returned almost to as bad as I was before. I am now starting just Spiro and am on day 24, I don't want to use the epiduo because I feel like that's what made it so horrible! But now that I'm on day 24 and keep getting new pimples everyday I don't know what to do! I know it worked last time but i m not sure if it was the combo working. I am getting pimples everywhere!!!!! Please I need some encouragement and stories of peoples initial breakouts to remind me that it gets worse before it gets better.

#2 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

Why did you stop the spiro the first time?

#3 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Over a year ago and took it for prob 6 months or more, weaned off of it and 4-5 months later face is back to where it was

#4 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

But why did you stop taking it the first time?

#5 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

I thought I was cured from the plan b hormonal breakout nightmare or too old to still have acne....I was wrong

#6 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Oh, alright. Did you have hormonal acne before taking plan B? For some people, like myself, stopping hormonal treatments for acne causes a rebound breakout. For me the breakout I got after stopping spiro was worse than any breakout I had had before. If that was the case then unfortunately you kind of have to just ride it out until it goes away. Since you are taking spiro again, though, it should get better. Give it at least 6 months and try to stay calm. If it worked for you once before it should work again in time :)

#7 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the encouragement I get on here everyday because I really need it. What did you do just ride out your breakout after stopping Spiro? Or did you find another cure?

#8 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

DAY 25-
Today skin is about the same, gunna try and post some pics soon. For the last month while on Spiro I have been making changes to my diet as I research hormonal acne. Looks like diary, sugar and wheat is something most people can agree on that contribute to hormonal acne, sooooooo I've been cutting out as much as possible but still slip here and there. I need to start taking vitamins again. I also have a hhhhhhhuge diet Pepsi addiction, I have heard that caffeine is also not good for your skin.

#9 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

No problem :)

My hormonal acne is now under control thanks to changing my diet and taking vitamin C. I eat a low fat low glycemic load diet and it's been great for my skin.

#10 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for the response, for the month I've been on Spiro I have lowered my sugar,dairy,wheat,processed foods to a minimum, hopefully something will kick in soon.

#11 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

DAY 26-
Woke up and its a miracle it doesn't look worse!! Just got off my cycle which I think contributed to such a big breakout. It really does look like my skin is purging which I tell myself is a good thing because it means Spiro is working.

#12 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

Day 29-
Breakouts from my period seem to be flattening down and my chin seems to be doing better as well. Its almost time for me to refil my spiro and my antibiotic of minocycline and im not sure if I want to keep taking the antibiotic, i think ive taken this one so many times in the past that I have built up a tolerance for it and it doesnt work.

#13 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

i would definitely try switching up the antibiotic they do tend to stop working after a bit. if you are on mino you can try doxy next that should work well for you. keflex also works wonders its amazing stuff but if you think your skin is getting better, i would probably just try to wean off the antibiotic and go from there. if you start breaking out really bad then you can always get on another one. 

Edited by tracy521, 03 February 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#14 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

Feeling blessed and thankful daily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

Just wanted to jump in and join in on this journey.  I am around the same timing as you, started 12/30 on Spiro (50 mg) added Yasmin (another 25 mg) the 3rd week and added Doxy 100mg 2x day to calm the initial breakout I experienced from weeks 3-4.  I had inflammed IB week 3 and then week 4 was the small tiny comedones. bumps that appeared along the lower part of my face, the dreaded purging.  Things have absolutely calmed down in many respects,  Currently I am the week before my period so we shall see what this trifecta brings as defense to a breakout.  As of today, the IB scars are slowly fading with my Glycolic toner I added in, skin tone is calming down, oiliness of skin has reduced a bit and inflammation is gone.  Have clearing of my comedones, small bumps here and there.  Manageable for sure.  Praying this steady course continues. 

I don't eat any dairy, wheat, sugar or caffeine.  I do eat gluten free oats and other gluten free products and haven't noticed much difference.  I slowed down on nuts as Idk felt like they might have been contributing to oiliness, who knows.  But I do use almond milk, coconut butter/oil pretty reguarly.  I do eat salmon weekly and lean meats and all kinds of veggies, beans and brown rice.  Look forward to hearing about your progress.. Hope today is a better day for you!

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

DDF Glycolic toner (LOVE this!!)

Spot treat with Tea Tree Oil

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

Dairy, Gluten, Sugar and Caffeine free.  Boring I know ;)

#15 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

CarpeMomentum so nice to hear from you, glad to hear your skin is doing better. How long have you been on that diet for? My skin is still breaking out 3 new ones just today on top of my initial breaout ive been experiencing, im thinking dairy and sugar needs to be cut out completely out of my diet, just ordered the book The Clear Skin Diet!!

#16 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

I've been pretty much dairy free for a few years now, but now I am not eating any cooked items, processed etc that may contain dairy or whey.  You'd be surprised what products have hidden dairy in them.  I've been completely gluten and sugar free since November and it's helped my overall energy and sure the inflammation. I haven't had a cyst in about 3+ weeks I would say.  Just small clogged pores that come up and out. Spiro is a tough journey, today I know things aren't bad, but they aren't fantastic either.  I did have one small swollen bump on my right jaw line, my right side is the worst for some reason.  And I have about 4-5 clogged pores that are starting to make their way up and hopefully out on that side too.  Very small, but I know they are there and I just want this over with. haha I am SO impatient.  The clearing of this 2nd breakout is just dragging on.  My derm prescribed Retin A but not letting that crap touch my face.  I'd rather clear this past breakout up on my own and not ruin my skin any further. So I'm about 38 days in today and that's better than 1 so going to make today a good day no matter what.  How are you feeling about Spiro and how are you handling life while dealing with this?  Happy Thursday btw :)

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

#17 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

CarpeMomentum I am contemplating going back on Epiduo, a year and a half ago I used it combined with spiro and was 100% clear in 3 months, the epiduo was so harsh so this time im just trying the spiro first. I have seen many people have sucess adding in a retin-A. I think im going to add the vlear skin diet in for a month and then decide to add in the epiduo after two months on spiro. My confidence is shot, its nowhere near as bad as it was the first time but im still so embarassed! Im having suchhhhhhh a hard time I just recently got engaged!! So excited but im putting off pictures for our engagement until my skin is better. I have to have my skin back in 7 months so this has to workkkkkkkkk

#18 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

http://abi-girl.blog...and-my.html?m=1

Check out this girls blog changed my life and helped me when I was going through the horrible breakouts on epiduo, I read it everyday because the breakouts were so bad but after 3 months BAM clear!!!!

Edited by tallnsweet, 06 February 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#19 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:34 AM

Happy Friday!  Congratulations on the engagement.  I just started dating someone so dealing with starting Spiro and balancing being "normal" and confident is obviously a tough task. Luckily he has not batted an eye and don't think he's even noticed.  I've told him I was going through a hormonal treatment and he was very supportive.  How has your fiance been?  Do you share with him your feelings about the acne? 

My skin is way to sensitive for topicals, I would rather just let it clear itself without making it red and angry.  When I first started spiro I was using all kinds of products, and slowly stepped away from everything harsh and simply added a Glycolic toner to my routine, and it has changed my skin from dry and red to a much more even tone, hydrated and the goal is to exfoliate w/o scrubs and harshness and slowly heal the pigmentation from the initial breakout.  It sucks right now, because we want perfection back, but this battle is here for a reason.  At least we have this treatment and we know about it, imagine if we didn't!  Diet works wonders especially while being on meds.  Remove the junk and take control of what goes in is the best thing you can do!

I am so excited to read that blog, thank you for sending.  You will be clear... this worked before...it will work again.  Faith, believe, project, sing it to the mountain tops.  We WILL be clear, confident and find our confidence back.  I am tired of hiding and tired of cancelling plans and waiting for it to work.  But we are doing something about it and that is what really matters.  Today is going to be a good day, break out or not because it's one more day to being clear.  ;-) 

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

#20 tallnsweet

tallnsweet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

So nice to get on here and have such encouragement :D it is so tough being in a relationship with acne, I did have a talk with my guy and just told him what I was going through and why I was being distant and what has been bothering me, he has been so supportive of me. Even with his support its still hard because its really my self esteem that is the issue, if I dont feel good about myself thats the hard part.

Carpe what glycolic toner have you been using it sounds like it has really helped a lot. Can you also tell me some of tge regular meals you eat since you are on a specific diet, I have been reading The Clear Skin diet and need to start modifying mine. Have a great day!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users