differin anti-acne treatment personal

162 replies to this topic

#141 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

what is the crack with differin seriously. 

im approaching week 6 and i'm still breaking out lol.... i'm laughing because i am actually really depressed.. 

i thought by now i wouldnt break out or at least it would have calmed down.  Basically i seem to be breaking out on my right temple.. 

generally my forehead looks messy, i have had countless black heads and white heads crop up or sit under the skin for weeks now.  do the black heads ever come out on their own accord? 

did anyone else experience temple area breaking out from clear before treatment? 

who is using differin with an anti-biotic? or duac? 

i want to know if i am doing anything wrong here... 

its disheartening to think it could have got worse than before i started, granted i'm not purging like when i first started but the marks and scars are lingering from this process. 

Oh no :/ Please don't be depressed: I was/am still breaking out, although much much less. I don't think my skin's been 100% clear for more than 4-5 days tops because my bumps are still purging. The majority of my breakouts were on my cheeks and outer area of face because that's my problem area (never used to be), but now it's almost exclusively on my jawline (which is also weird because I never had any problems there. Granted, that's still where the bumps are). I think I've had a breakout in every part of my face since starting it, even in places where I never had any problems before starting Differin, except for around the eye area which has stayed clear.

I find that the Differin didn't help with any blackheads, so I 'treat' those with something different. I also still have a little bit of hyperpigmentation from past breakouts but I've seriously not been touching my face at all so it's gotten so much better, more on the left side of my face than the right. Does that serum not work then?

I'm pretty sure you're not doing anything wrong. Halfway through the 3 months I also did think that, that I could've saved all the breakouts and embarrassment if I'd never started the treatment, especially as January - March was 'party season' (the majority of my friends and I turned 18) and I had to go to parties with a breakout slap bang in the middle of my face. But I was like, I started it for a reason so I wanted to stick with it for the full 3 months to see if it was worth it and I'm really, really glad I did.

#142 Sboo

Sboo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

im with SV....hang in there, im on week 12, and although ive made other changes, this last couple of weeks, other than a break out in the middle, ive gone 4 days at a time with no new spots (this is very very unusual for me!!)

I have had break outs in previously clear areas, but then problem areas have cleared quicker

really give it time, unless you think youre having a reaction to it.  im glad I did so far.

#143 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

sex drugs and sausage rolls

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:?

Achievements

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

thanks guys. I wont lie, I have squeezed my skin.. and yes I am very very ashamed of that..

I tried squeezing what I *THOUGHT* was a black head on my forehead and turns out it wasn't (it was a hole from a previous 'grain' that I squeezed out).. now I have a red mark that looks like a spot and hurts to the touch, so last night I didn't put Diff on my face.

do you have ANY tips what so ever for NOT picking? I feel this is what has hindered my progress significantly. I'm not crazy like I used to be I have left a fair amount of white heads to pop themselves in the shower with warm water and cleanser... but I have squeezed out an awful lot of blackheads and whiteheads since starting this process... 

I think my progress and results would be 10 fold had I not done so.. but I can only go forward now and I really hope it clears up.

part of me thinks it could be the sunscreen clogging me up... as I seem to break out a few days after using it.. :/  but summer is coming!!!!...

what do you treat the blackheads with then?

the serum is good - its my moisturiser, but of course hyperpigmentation wont disappear over night, its going to take months. this is why I am ashamed of the marks that I've caused.

sboo you say 4 days in 12 weeks with out new spots... to me, this isn't good enough (its great though of course!), I need (we all need) months of not breaking out daily. like maybe 1 spot a week or like 3 per month like people who don't suffer, I think only then will we see drastic improvements, this is why I want to go on roaccutane.

I do realise I haven't helped with the picking, not at all, but if it was smooth and not breaking out, the temptation wouldn't even be there. it wouldn't even cross my mind, id look in the mirror, be like wow I love my skin, do my hair, spend more time on my general appearance and be on my way.

I hate having a shower, looking in the mirror, seeing imperfections and wanting to 'fix' them and worry about them..

I have changed my attitude recently and I am going to avoid mirrors after showering, and go about my business. and also my mental attitude, I need to accept this, this will happen and continue to do so, so I need to be more accepting.

underlying my thoughts is the notion that  'I seriously I worry if my skin will ever be nice again'.

I don't think I am having a reaction to it by all means, it doesn't sting or turn me red, so it my skin must be tolerating it?

sigh, I really need support guys

Edited by .JacktheLad., 10 April 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#144 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

thanks guys. I wont lie, I have squeezed my skin.. and yes I am very very ashamed of that..

I tried squeezing what I *THOUGHT* was a black head on my forehead and turns out it wasn't (it was a hole from a previous 'grain' that I squeezed out).. now I have a red mark that looks like a spot and hurts to the touch, so last night I didn't put Diff on my face.

do you have ANY tips what so ever for NOT picking? I feel this is what has hindered my progress significantly. I'm not crazy like I used to be I have left a fair amount of white heads to pop themselves in the shower with warm water and cleanser... but I have squeezed out an awful lot of blackheads and whiteheads since starting this process... 

I think my progress and results would be 10 fold had I not done so.. but I can only go forward now and I really hope it clears up.

part of me thinks it could be the sunscreen clogging me up... as I seem to break out a few days after using it.. :/  but summer is coming!!!!...

what do you treat the blackheads with then?

the serum is good - its my moisturiser, but of course hyperpigmentation wont disappear over night, its going to take months. this is why I am ashamed of the marks that I've caused.

sboo you say 4 days in 12 weeks with out new spots... to me, this isn't good enough (its great though of course!), I need (we all need) months of not breaking out daily. like maybe 1 spot a week or like 3 per month like people who don't suffer, I think only then will we see drastic improvements, this is why I want to go on roaccutane.

I do realise I haven't helped with the picking, not at all, but if it was smooth and not breaking out, the temptation wouldn't even be there. it wouldn't even cross my mind, id look in the mirror, be like wow I love my skin, do my hair, spend more time on my general appearance and be on my way.

I hate having a shower, looking in the mirror, seeing imperfections and wanting to 'fix' them and worry about them..

I have changed my attitude recently and I am going to avoid mirrors after showering, and go about my business. and also my mental attitude, I need to accept this, this will happen and continue to do so, so I need to be more accepting.

underlying my thoughts is the notion that  'I seriously I worry if my skin will ever be nice again'.

I don't think I am having a reaction to it by all means, it doesn't sting or turn me red, so it my skin must be tolerating it?

sigh, I really need support guys

You really just need to be fully aware that squeezing at your skin will (probably) 99% cause your skin to be really red and maybe even scab over the next few days. It took me several goes before I learnt my lesson and learned not to pick whatsoever because I remember how I feel just after squeezing/how it looked after squeezing. The scabbing was hard to cover up the next couple of days with makeup, and even then, the makeup kind of just made it look worse.

I understand the temptation, I really, really do because I've been there. Now I only squeeze very gently when something genuinely looks like it's ready to come out. Other than that, I leave it, because I know how it's going to end.

Avoiding mirrors is my best tip, definitely. It has helped me so much when I don't have a mirror to scrutinise every bit of my face with. Chances are, your skin doesn't even look that bad to other people: we are our own worst enemy. I found that whenever I put my desk mirror on the floor beside me and carry on with whatever I'm doing (work or whatever), I completely forget about my face (compared to if I keep looking up and seeing my reflection, I would want to keep staring at my skin).

If you think your sunscreen's breaking you out, stop using it and see whether your skin improves. Personally I don't wear sunscreen because that's the type of thing that would break me out. There's SPF in my foundation anyway...

As for the blackheads, I don't really 'treat' them, I basically just use the oil cleansing method to loosen them: it's really good at that. I don't think I've ever bought a product that was specifically designed to remove blackheads and have it actually work for me. 

I think your experience is mainly psychological to be honest, you seem like you're aware of the attitudes you need to change towards your skin and of course, being positive about what this medication could potentially do always helps. It's just self-control and discipline

#145 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Lifting

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

I think im on week 5? Not sure. Still breaking out I even had a few cists on my cheek :/ but every npw and then I have a few days of clear or almost clear skin so that's nice haha. Jack you have to hang in there all the research I've done says dont even expect results till three months then it will start improving. I just try to think about late this summer I wont have to worry about acne (hopefully) and it keeps me going. And it also helps I know a person that has bad acne just like me and we can help each other out and talk about it haha

#146 BumpyNuisances

BumpyNuisances

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Just to let you know what my experiences have been. I've been on differin + tetralysal since October-ish and it worked a treat but 2 weeks after I stopped the anti-biotics (now). I've started to breakout again... I'll wait a few more weeks but I think I'll have to try something else.

It may or may not work out for you guys, but you may as well stick with it (at least a few months) and see where you are at. That's my only advice :)

Best of luck guys

#147 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies - this Friday will be week 7.. I don't think it's working for me guys. my skin hasn't improved if anything it's worse than before I started this and a regime. just think I should stop.. looks like the only way for me will be roaccutane after all which is a shame being as it's light but persistently annoying acne that I suffer from.

Walking about town I realised my skin compared with others is actually not bad at all. But I want great skin tbh. I don't like all the micro bumps and roughness and patchy look to my skin.

I'm annoyed that differin is still breaking me out to this day in places that were once clear.,, markedly the temples. furthermore it's not stopping the new spots from forming. Just don't understand, I've stopped using the SPF now and started using a Nivea combination skin mosituriser - it feels light at least.

Was thinking about using anti biotics but what's the point in using temporary means to a long term problem approaching my age late 20's you have to just hit it hard. My skin isn't rejuvenating like it used to anymore, marks linger and scars will never fade.

I need accutane to start again to allow my skin to get a new start. Maybe I'm fooling myself I don't know anymore. feel pretty helpless :/

Just why would it take 3 months to 'start' working I mean seriously? 3 months of this and I dred to think what damage I'd have done to my face ):

Edited by .JacktheLad., 14 April 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#148 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

How long do the marks stay for from previous acne? looking at my skin, it would be looking relatively clear if the skin didn't have a heap of marks...  

I know its my fault for squeezing them out but my skin leaves these marks irrespective of leaving it be or not. i'm not trying to justify that of course, but seems there Is no way of avoiding that.. especially as the differin had caused a huge purge and then only recently did I discover that it was indeed my SPF that was the culprit at clogging me up..

#149 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

So now that you found your sunscreen wasn't helping at you going to stay on differin jack?. Im having an issue with my forehead I wear my hair with bangs so I usually hide it but I break out and then the white heads go away but the bumps are still there. Should I pop them when they are white heads to avoid this or what?. This is getting diffuse for me just breakout after breakout and my parents wont let me stay home from anything cus they dont understand so that sucks haha. Hoping the breakouts aren't as bad soon it seems whenever one area clears up another starrs breaking out.

#150 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

How long do the marks stay for from previous acne? looking at my skin, it would be looking relatively clear if the skin didn't have a heap of marks...  

I know its my fault for squeezing them out but my skin leaves these marks irrespective of leaving it be or not. i'm not trying to justify that of course, but seems there Is no way of avoiding that.. especially as the differin had caused a huge purge and then only recently did I discover that it was indeed my SPF that was the culprit at clogging me up..

Heyy, could be anything up to a year, depending on how your skin is. I have absolutely found that the Differin has cleared up most of my hyperpigmentation, or at least faded them. If you take into account that your sunscreen was clogging you up and the marks that you have now are just from picking, how much better has your skin actually gotten from using the Differin? Because if you think about that and your skin has gotten better, would that be an incentive to carry on using it for the full three months, minus the sunscreen? 

Edited by SlinkyVintage, 17 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#151 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

@thechase i've not used it for a few days and the skin looks better, its really hard to decide because i just cant afford to keep breaking out from it. i clearly have no self control when it comes to squeezing spots. 

personally if i can see a black head or a white head i will squeeze it out. black heads left in the skin can stretch the pore permanently. But then popping does spread bacteria and leaves marks. so what do you do.. 

thats what happened to me, one area would break out then clear then another would kick off. I might continue it because its only been 3 nights rest from it.. 

the differin seems to make sort of these red spots that micro swell up and don't produce a head. i've been using Dermopurifyer from Eucerin recently and have had better luck so far in terms of spots coming out and going away.. but then i also stopped the SPF and the serum which has oils in it.. 

gah this is why i hate topicals. so up for taking Accutane and fingers crossed 'curing' this and not just making do. if spots didnt occur in the first instance... problem solved

@SV, Hard to say because since using differin i had accumulated many more nodules/cysts and pustules in waves, the pustules on the apples on my cheeks that i popped have left seemingly permanent red marks, but from what i've read these will fade but can take ages and who knows they may never fade. 

i just dont know if i can commit to using it for another 2 months if it just makes my skin worse or at least no better than it was before all of this. 

i really need to stop picking, and for the spots to just stop coming through. then i'd look into treatments to fade scars and indented scars because the amount i have which are small add up to giving me a rough textured skin.. 

thinking skin peel and chemical peep would do it. I've got a dermotologist appointment booked mid june, so will see what they say - effectively im nearly 27 and still break out, ive tried topicals and anti-biotics and of course hoping i would clear later in life, which hasn't happened. so although its light acne, its persistent and coupled with my obsession with picking  

what do you think?

#152 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Tbh if I were you I would do accu-tane. Im 17 right now if this doesnt work, that's what im doing. At your age and because of all the things uou have tried I dont think anyone could fault you for it. If you are going to keep going with the differin until your next derm visit remeber that one day maybe a few months from now you could be completly clear. For the past few weeks ive been breaking out and i just remind myself that my skin will be completly clear in a few months. I just hope I stop breaking out so badly because of the differin

Edited by thechase78, 19 April 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#153 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Day 96 | 14th week

Ok, so I've done the full initial 3 months and am still using every night. There are still some little bumps on my jawline, near the chin area but my forehead and the whole left side of my face is back to normal (normal being no bumps). Right side of the face still has catching up to do in terms of bumps and hyperpigmentation but on the whole, my hyperpigmentation's faded a lot to the point where I can get away with some sheer foundation and a bit of concealer to cover it, rather than using a thick, heavy foundation and concealer. I'd say that my face is 98.5% clear now. I've got a spot coming up on right jawline, where a bump previously was and another one right at the edge of my face on the left (in the hairline) but I'm guessing that's because I've been a little lazy in washing my hair last week, especially since I have nowhere to be now that it's the Easter holidays.
Tried to get an appointment with the derm but it's all full up until mid-May so guess I'm just using the 0.1% cream from now on. Tbh though, when my face is so close to clearing up completely, I don't really want to risk putting a stronger concentration on my face because it's obvious that the 0.1% has done its job quite well, so I think more patience is needed for the last stubborn few bumps. It's really nothing to moan about, come to think of it.

@SV, Hard to say because since using differin i had accumulated many more nodules/cysts and pustules in waves, the pustules on the apples on my cheeks that i popped have left seemingly permanent red marks, but from what i've read these will fade but can take ages and who knows they may never fade. 

i just dont know if i can commit to using it for another 2 months if it just makes my skin worse or at least no better than it was before all of this. 

i really need to stop picking, and for the spots to just stop coming through. then i'd look into treatments to fade scars and indented scars because the amount i have which are small add up to giving me a rough textured skin.. 

thinking skin peel and chemical peep would do it. I've got a dermotologist appointment booked mid june, so will see what they say - effectively im nearly 27 and still break out, ive tried topicals and anti-biotics and of course hoping i would clear later in life, which hasn't happened. so although its light acne, its persistent and coupled with my obsession with picking  

what do you think?

Well, I don't think you really have anything to lose in trying a harsher alternative: you won't know until you try. But good luck with whatever you do :)

#154 gkitten25

gkitten25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Seeing friends, eating out, spending time with my boyfriend

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:27 AM

Stick with it, it only gets better from here on in.  At three months my skin wasn't my idea of perfect but much better and I could tell the differin was working.  Im at about 9/10 months in, using it every night to every other nights and I've not had an active spot for months (touch wood) yeh I get the odd tiny blocked pore if I have maybe wore too much make up or been exercising but it is nothing and disappears in a few days.  I've never tried the 0.3 but I would wait at least another couple of months if it's working just give it time to get you where you want to be :) and well done for sticking with it so long, I see so many people give up because they don't see instant improvement, it's a slow worked but well worth it, and anti aging benefits which is such a bonus compared to the damaged BP can do to your skin in the long run xxx

#155 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Day 101 | 15th week | ~4 months

UPDATE

Interesting stuff guys. Been to the derm just now and enquired about a 0.3% strength adapelene; turns out there's no such thing, at least in the UK anyways, bummer. So I told her about how well it's done for my skin but how there's still a few stubborn bumps that don't seem to be going away and she prescribed me the 0.1% adapelene/2.5% BP combo, which I believe is Epiduo

My main worry is that using another ingredient will make my skin worse again but then again, I've heard how good BP is for comedonal acne. It's also a gel formula which I need to get used to. If it's too strong, I'll go back to the original Differin tube. I also think I'll go back to putting on my niacinamide serum in the mornings (not used that for about a month now). Also worried about how dry it's going to make my skin too, after reading about it. I think I will only put the Epiduo on the jawline area, where most of my bumps currently reside and continue the Differin cream on the rest of my face and see how it looks. But it's probably not something I'd want to be putting on my face every single day.
Here starts a new chapter, I guess. Will update soon.

Edited by SlinkyVintage, 25 April 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#156 gkitten25

gkitten25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Seeing friends, eating out, spending time with my boyfriend

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

I think if you stick with the differin you will see those stuborn bumps go, honestly it took me about six months for everything to really clear, but I didn't mind waiting it out as my skin wasn't getting any worse, epiduo might be a bit strong, I don't like BP anyway, it really did a number on my skin, very dehydrated and fine lines, it has taken me this long to correct it, plus differin helps with anti aging so in the long run it is more beneficial for your skin :)

#157 SlinkyVintage

SlinkyVintage

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:54 AM

Update on Epiduo (9th day) | 16th week of adapelene

As of today, all my jawline bumps are gone. Very quick, minimal purging. BP didn't make me as dry as I thought it was going to: on the first night of applying it (decided to go for all over the face in the end), my face felt so dry and was itchy around my nose. BP seems to make hyperpigmentation from new spots a bit darker? But my skin was back to normal by the 4th/5th night of using it. Seems to be much more effective at getting rid of closed comedones and now my face is 99% clear of bumps. Some pesky little ones came back on the forehead when I was still just using the Differin cream, although I'm not sure whether that was because of new skincare or makeup, but the Epiduo is taking care of that at the moment. Still have a bit of hyperpigmentation (what's new ey) but overall, I am very, very glad I tried the BP too. I'm going to wait until my face is 100% clear and then reduce the amount of nights I'm using the BP.

Edited by SlinkyVintage, 03 May 2014 - 02:55 AM.

#158 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

June 3rd will be 3 months for me. Not much improvement lately regular white heads and bumpy skin. Hoping this gets better soon :(

#159 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

June 3rd will be 3 months for me. Not much improvement lately regular white heads and bumpy skin. Hoping this gets better soon sad.png

hey man! wow thats gone fast,

I couldn't last more than 8 weeks, my skin just continued to be bumpy, i was getting painful nodules and i said enough is enough. I am SO glad i stopped using Differin when I did. 

I do now believe the only way is to go on Accutane. and thats exactly what i am going to do.

I have had enough of the constant onslaught of spots, yes they may be small, but they leave scars and its making my face look terrible. Scarred enough as it is from the picking, its just something i cant help but do.

destroy root cause of spots= nothing to pick at = problem solved = live life.

#160 thechase78

thechase78

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

Lately my skin is getting oily and clogging pores causing bumps that dont really go away im wondering if the differin is causing it or my moisterizer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users