How Do You Handle Your Job?

24 replies to this topic

#21 marie4u

marie4u

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:47 AM

i m a student in university. after university i go to my job and its for 8 hours. my routine is pretty much hectic but i have to manage it.

#22 bubbles55

bubbles55

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

I've been on Disability for the last two years due to panic disorder largely induced by acne.

I also have major depressive disorder so there are literally weeks where I just stay in bed sobbing, unable to get up out of bed or to eat or get dressed.

I just had a recent hospital stay in December after a suicide attempt  and was kept on the ward for observation before being sent home into an outpatient program. Unfortunately my panic attacks have become so severe I can't even leave my house so seeing a therapist for counselling and particpating in the "oupatient" group therapy has proven impossible.

#23 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I concur to those who said people generally don't care how your skin looks. It might be on their minds for a few seconds, but they'll get distracted by something else. Remeber hearing about the experiments where the vast majority of the audience didn't notice the man in the gigantic gorilla/pink bunny/duck, etc. in the background or foreground? Chances are, people won't really notice, or at the very least focus on it. They'll pay more attention to your facial cues rather than your skin.

#24 5ive

5ive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm an artist, and I absolutely cannot create when I have a cyst or a severe break out. It kind of just puts my life on hold. I can do physically demanding jobs, but when I have to tap into my creative side, I find it really hard because it makes me upset and sad. It's like my mind is obsessed with my skin.

Luckily, I've found ways to clear up my skin, outlined in my log. But I currently going through a cyst after slipping up for so long. I had to go into work yesterday, working the public. What helped me ge through was:

1) Take care of yourself

Drink a lot of water, eat right, exercise, get outside, do whatever makes you feel good, live healthy. Don't pick!

2) Remember a time when you went out with acne

This has helped me a lot. My acne was much worse before. But I managed to go out.

3) Acne is socially acceptable

You will find that actually no one cares. If I dare say it, it's "cool" to have acne. It makes you different. Of course, depending on the severity. I find that people treat me all the same as I am without it.

4) Represent the people with bad skin

In a way, you're kind of like a model for those with bad skin. And there are a lot of them! And you are courageous enough to not hide inside all day. Go out there and represent us!

#25 LyannaStark

LyannaStark

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

I am open and honest about my acne. I sit in an office with a couple of other ladies (i'm the youngest) and we're not super close but I tell them when I have issues with my skin. I'll sook about having a bad breakout and find they'll be supportive, saying that they've been through that etc etc. 
When I started on Accutane I jokingly told them to beware that I might be going crazy suffering from all the side effects. Even my boss when he asks me how I am I'd tell him that I'm having crazy dry skin coz of my acne medicine.

I'm sure I'm over-sharing and that they probably don't care but at least I know that by being up front and letting them know i'm doing something about it, I know they won't be chatting behind my back discussing my skin (although I really doubt anyone does this, everyone has their own issues to deal with).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users