This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ortho Tri Cyclen Causing Heavy Period

1 post in this topic

I was on Seasonale for years, but suffered from acne around my mouth and jaw line which no medication would clear. After much research I found out that this acne was hormonal and was likely caused by an excess of androgen. Seasonale is very androgenic so I switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen which is very low in androgenic activity.

I just finished my third pack and my face is finally almost 100% clear!!!! However, all 3 of my periods on OTC have been very heavy. For my entire life my periods have been very light. They always lasted 3-4 days and only 1 of those days was ever moderately heavy. All 3 of my periods on OTC have lasted 8 or so days and all of the days were extremely heavy. I have been doing my legal externship at the courthouse and have had to leave court every hour or 2 to change my tampon. It has been very disruptive and it not something that I can deal with in my career.

I have read that low progestin/high estrogen balance can cause a very heavy period. So now I am desperate to find a pill that will keep my face clear, but also make my period lighter. Basically a pill that is low in androgenic activity (for acne), but has a higher progestin to estrogen ratio (for heavy period). Yaz, Yasmin, and Ortho-Cept all seem to have the best combination for this.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions?