Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aluxeruzzo

Problems With Tretinoin Cream

5 posts in this topic

So I got prescribed tretinoin cream .0375% and to wash my face with PanOxyl 10% morning and night, applying the cream at night. I've been doing this for 2 months and my skin has been peeling so badly ever since I started. It hurts and cracks when I smile, sometimes bleeding depending on how bad it is that day. I went in for a follow up appointment with my derm and told her about this issue and asked if there was another moisturizer I could use that would give my skin more moisture (currently using either cetaphil cream or cerave cream) and she said no and to stop using the cream for a day and then start up again. I did this and it did not improve at all. I was thinking that maybe washing with the PanOxyl in addition to the tretinoin cream is just too much for my skin because I'm really sensitive and maybe I should just use a gentle cleanser but my dermatologist also told me not to do this. Also, before I started using these treatments I had cystic acne as well as just red inflammed pimples, never white heads or black heads. Ever since I started using the tretinoin cream I've had tons and tons of white heads, I'm assuming this is from the "purging" phase but I was wondering when the initial breakouts stop because they are still continuing.

I personally would ditch the panoxyl, or if possible move down to panoxy 2% not 10%....try to find a milder BP wash

yes there is a purging period for sure, but drying is another matter all together- use a moisturizer, like cerave 15 to 20 min after the retin a

but the bigger issue is the wash, you really need to go milder

I thought ur not supposed to use any other drying products while using a rentin a

Try using purpose face wash instead . Panoxyl face wash by itself can be very drying. Stay away from salicylic an BP products . Ur going to end up burning ur face .

I also think that the aveeno moisturizing face lotion is more healing for dry skin. I have tried the ones ur using and didn't like them 2 much. Aveeno hydrates me better and it does not break me out . U should try it out

Moved to prescription medicine forum.

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo. I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month. I can live with that

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry. In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.