Photo
Accutane

New To Accutane! Here's My Thread (With Pics)

isotretinoin claravis acne scars breakouts side effects skincare

98 replies to this topic

#61 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

Michelle,

Yikes. I'm going to start an 80 mg/day treatment this month. I should ask my derm if I have anything to worry about.

Best of luck in your future treatments, chica!

#62 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Michelle,

Yikes. I'm going to start an 80 mg/day treatment this month. I should ask my derm if I have anything to worry about.

How long will you be on this dose? Of course, higher doses for a long time tend to produce more side effects.

BTW, according to Wikipedia and from other sources I've read, the permanent side effects of dry skin is rare. http://en.wikipedia....rmanent_effects

You absolutely need to use sunscreen! Sun damage can cause or aggravate dryness, and you don't want more redness or it to last longer!

#63 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

Michelle,

How long will you be on this dose? Of course, higher doses for a long time tend to produce more side effects.

BTW, according to Wikipedia and from other sources I've read, the permanent side effects of dry skin is rare. http://en.wikipedia....rmanent_effects

You absolutely need to use sunscreen! Sun damage can cause or aggravate dryness, and you don't want more redness or it to last longer!

I will be on the 80 mg/day dosage for 2 months. 

Oh yes. Sunscreen every day. :)

#64 bubbles55

bubbles55

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:03 AM

Don't let the scarring deceive you, you're not done healing yet. You still have non-inflammatory acne and infection in your skin which is making your scarring appear more "raised" than it actually is. Mine looked like that at first and then a year later I was left with considerably less scarring than I originally assumed.

#65 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Don't let the scarring deceive you, you're not done healing yet. You still have non-inflammatory acne and infection in your skin which is making your scarring appear more "raised" than it actually is. Mine looked like that at first and then a year later I was left with considerably less scarring than I originally assumed.

Thank you, bubbles! That's really encouraging for me to hear. rolleyes.gif

#66 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:12 AM

Week 17 Update-

Dosage: 60 mg (30 mg/2 x daily)

Not much to update on this week, since I just wrote my last update a few days ago. Thankfully, my anxiety has subsided quite a bit. I do believe that much of it had to do with what was taking place (hormonally) in my body. I had just finished my menstrual cycle, and I think that the anxiety was intensified for that reason. I was still anxious this week, but not as much. It's surprising, considering that I have an exam on Monday. Things like tests always make me extremely nervous and worried.

Sadly, I cannot take better pictures this week, since I have too much to to this weekend. I will try my very best to publish some next week.

Edited by CherrySoda08, 08 March 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#67 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:30 AM

Week 17 Update-

Not much to update on this week, since I just wrote my last update a few days ago. Thankfully, my anxiety has subsided quite a bit. I do believe that much of it had to do with what was taking place (hormonally) in my body. I had just finished my menstrual cycle, and I think that the anxiety was intensified for that reason. I was still anxious this week, but not as much. It's surprising, considering that I have an exam on Monday. Things like tests always make me extremely nervous and worried.

Sadly, I cannot take better pictures this week, since I have too much to to this weekend. I will try my very best to publish some next week.

Good luck on your exam! :)

#68 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Week 17 Update-

Good luck on your exam! smile.png

Thanks so much, Michelle. I am so ready for this weekend to be overwith, and for this exam to be done!

#69 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

Week 17 Update-

Good luck on your exam! :)

Thanks so much, Michelle. I am so ready for this weekend to be overwith, and for this exam to be done!

The exam will be over in no time, as long as you focus on doing a good job. I hope you ace it! :)

#70 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

Week 17 Update-

Good luck on your exam! smile.png

The exam will be over in no time, as long as you focus on doing a good job. I hope you ace it! smile.png

I made a 91% on my algebra exam on Monday. Woohoo! cheer.gif 

I could not be happier about it. It's the first A I've made on a math test since I was in 9th grade. A LONG time ago!

#71 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Week 17 Update-

Good luck on your exam!

The exam will be over in no time, as long as you focus on doing a good job. I hope you ace it!

I made a 91% on my algebra exam on Monday. Woohoo!

I could not be happier about it. It's the first A I've made on a math test since I was in 9th grade. A LONG time ago!

Excellent! :D

Time to dance!

banana.gifcatdance.gif

#72 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

Week 18 Update-

As promised, I've taken new pics to post this week to make up for the sub-par photos I took 2 weeks ago. They turned out much better since I used my 10 megapixel digital camera instead of my iPad. The photos should give you guys a much clearer idea of what's been going on with my skin during the 4th month I've been on Accutane. Personally, I think that my acne looks like it's finally clearing up. Obviously, I still have scarring that will need to be worked on in the future, but I am happy with the way my acne seems to be disappearing at last.

Also, I was checking my settings here on Acne.org just a few minutes ago, and it looks like I've used about 95% of my attachment space for my thread posts. Which means that I most likely will no longer be posting photos directly onto my threads. If anybody reading this thread knows the answer to this, I have a question about continuing to upload photos; is it possible to continue creating albums on Acne.org? I know that my settings say my attachment space is almost used up, but I don't think that includes the space I can use in the galleries. Am I right in this assumption? If anyone reading has the answers to these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. smile.png

I guess this means that I will make more photo albums of my skin on the 'Org galleries, and then post the links in the threads from this point going forward. Definitely not as convenient as attaching photos directly to my posts, but I am willing to do what I have to in order to provide y'all with new pics.

Changing subjects; I went to my derm on Wednesday, the 12th for my monthly appointment. She said that my labs have been coming back great (yay!), and that for my last 2 months on isotretinoin, she wants to change me to a different brand. My derm is recommending Absorica (http://www.absorica.com/), 80 mg, per day. That'll be 40 mg, twice a day. My derm told me that this brand of isotretinoin is fairly new to the market, and she loves the results she's seeing in her patients so far. I should take the time to read the literature that she gave me a little more carefully, but I'm not totally sure I'll even be able to get the medication.

My insurance covers Absorica, but I don't know yet if it'll be more expensive than the Claravis brand I've been taking so far. If that ends up being the case, then I will just continue to take 40 mg of Claravis twice a day. 

No terrible anxiety this past week, and no panic attacks. The soreness, aches and pains I've experienced so far still continue, however.

That's all the news I have for now. If I can think of anything else later on, I will continue to update. Thanks so much for reading!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0035.JPG
  • DSCN0039.JPG

#73 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Okay, it looks like I just completely ran out of attachment space. Here's the album I made here on Acne.org of my skin after 18 weeks on Accutane. Enjoy! :)

http://www.acne.org/...ks-on-accutane/

Edited by CherrySoda08, 14 March 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#74 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

BTW, you can reduce byte size by compressing your pics through GIMP or Yahoo's smush.it  :)

Your scars are fixable, and you could greatly improve it as little as 1-2 treatments if CO2 lasers are right for you. :)

Edited by Michelle Reece, 14 March 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#75 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Mini-Update (Week 19)- I picked up my Accutane 'script for month 5 today, and the Absorica that my P.A. recommended I take ended up being twice as much as the Claravis isotretinoin capsules I've been taking the past 4 months. There was no way I could afford it. Furthermore, my pharmacy is not selling the Claravis brand right now. So, I ended up having to purchase 40 mg Myorisan capsules (https://www.ipledgep...n Med Guide.pdf). 

I called my derm after purchasing them, and she said that she likes this brand of isotretinoin, and finds it effective. If anybody reading this has any feedback in regard to the new brand I'm taking, I'd greatly appreciate it. smile.png

Edited by CherrySoda08, 17 March 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#76 luckers8

luckers8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

I'm starting my fourth month on Myorisan and its been working really well. I started on 40mg and have been taking 80mg with a couple days just taking 40mg when the side effects get too bad. I didn't have severe acne to begin with (though in my mind it was) but it was very deep cystic acne. I haven't had a cyst in about a month I'd say, just smaller breakouts which ironically is more now that before but I guess its still purging all the junk out. I'm acutally more paranoid about the scars than I was before I started. I guess since all the inflammation went down they are much more visble which is discouraging as we all hope everything would go away!

My anxiety is starting to get bad but I had anxiety to begin with, and before starting Accutane I pretty much cut myself off from the world as much as possible due to the embarrassment of my face. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it! At $480 a month then $100 for drs visits and labs it better be haha. Theres no price I wouldn't pay to get my life back though. Guess we gotta keep trucking on! Good luck to you.

Edited by luckers8, 17 March 2014 - 06:17 PM.

#77 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

I'm starting my fourth month on Myorisan and its been working really well. I started on 40mg and have been taking 80mg with a couple days just taking 40mg when the side effects get too bad. I didn't have severe acne to begin with (though in my mind it was) but it was very deep cystic acne. I haven't had a cyst in about a month I'd say, just smaller breakouts which ironically is more now that before but I guess its still purging all the junk out. I'm acutally more paranoid about the scars than I was before I started. I guess since all the inflammation went down they are much more visble which is discouraging as we all hope everything would go away!

My anxiety is starting to get bad but I had anxiety to begin with, and before starting Accutane I pretty much cut myself off from the world as much as possible due to the embarrassment of my face. I just keep telling myself it will be worth it! At $480 a month then $100 for drs visits and labs it better be haha. Theres no price I wouldn't pay to get my life back though. Guess we gotta keep trucking on! Good luck to you.

Thanks so much! Good luck to you, as well.

Your info was really helpful, and I hope you continue to follow my thread. :)

#78 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Week 19 Update-

Dosage: 80 mg (40 mg/2 x daily)

Very brief update this week, since I already posted a "mini-update" on the 17th. I've been taking 80 mg a day of the Myorisan brand of isotretinoin for a little over a week now. I've noticed absolutely no difference from the symptoms I experienced with 60 mg a day, which is great. I'll continue to keep those following this thread posted if I experience any changes. 

A classmate of mine who took isotretinoin told me she began to get blurry vision once she had been on 80 mgs awhile. Hopefully, that won't happen to me, but I'll include it in my updates if it does.

Have a great rest of the weekend, you guys. smile.png

Edited by CherrySoda08, 23 March 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#79 steve0asdf

steve0asdf

Steve

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Computing, software and statistics in the pharmaceuticals industry

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

I classmate of mine who took isotretinoin told me she began to get blurry vision once she had been on 80 mgs awhile. Hopefully, that won't happen to me, but I'll include it in my updates if it does.

I had a bit of that for a while. It was due to lowering of quality of the tear film associated with a bit of blepharatis. It was managed very well with an OTC topical (called blephasol in UK), and only recurred once. Bit of a surprise when it first happened though!

Not hilarious, but can be dealt with.

Steve.

#80 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

I classmate of mine who took isotretinoin told me she began to get blurry vision once she had been on 80 mgs awhile. Hopefully, that won't happen to me, but I'll include it in my updates if it does.

I had a bit of that for a while. It was due to lowering of quality of the tear film associated with a bit of blepharatis. It was managed very well with an OTC topical (called blephasol in UK), and only recurred once. Bit of a surprise when it first happened though!

Not hilarious, but can be dealt with.

Steve.

Thanks so much for the info, Steve. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users