Photo
Accutane

New To Accutane! Here's My Thread (With Pics)

isotretinoin claravis acne scars breakouts side effects skincare

98 replies to this topic

#41 Nicolacat

Nicolacat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading. Cycling/walking. Films

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the warning Michelle.. I will keep an eye out for them! Ladies is it me or are zits more painful while on accutane?? It seems everything is speeded up and I can literally feel them trying to push there way out? I have got a pimple/small cyst on my cheek and it bloody hurts! I had 2 like this last month. You would think from the pain that I had a big boil on my face.  maybe my skin is sensitive? Yesterday I was cleaning the patio off and it was sunny but it was 7 degrees (!) and my face was beet red and burning (thankfully its ok today) I have learned my lesson, sunscreen all the way now regardless of temperature. All the blackheads have come up on my chin now and if I tilt my face in the mirror I can see them. So I don't tilt my face in the mirror :)

Cherry soda - sorry to hear about the joint pain. I think Michelle has some good suggestions. Its not forever, it will be worth it!  How is your skin doing?? I will get my pics up in the next week or so..

Ooh I bit of good news , did you know accutane reverses photoaging? Not only will I be spot free but I will look 18 ( I wish!)

Let me know how you are doing!! xx

#42 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the warning Michelle.. I will keep an eye out for them! Ladies is it me or are zits more painful while on accutane?? It seems everything is speeded up and I can literally feel them trying to push there way out? I have got a pimple/small cyst on my cheek and it bloody hurts! I had 2 like this last month. You would think from the pain that I had a big boil on my face.  maybe my skin is sensitive? Yesterday I was cleaning the patio off and it was sunny but it was 7 degrees (!) and my face was beet red and burning (thankfully its ok today) I have learned my lesson, sunscreen all the way now regardless of temperature. All the blackheads have come up on my chin now and if I tilt my face in the mirror I can see them. So I don't tilt my face in the mirror smile.png

Cherry soda - sorry to hear about the joint pain. I think Michelle has some good suggestions. Its not forever, it will be worth it!  How is your skin doing?? I will get my pics up in the next week or so..

Ooh I bit of good news , did you know accutane reverses photoaging? Not only will I be spot free but I will look 18 ( I wish!)

Your skin is more sensitive to everything while on Accutane. It's why derms say to not use many topicals or go through with facial procedures, like chemical peels during this time.

#43 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

Oh, BTW Nicola for isotretinoin and photoaging:

The results are mixed. Check it out:

http://onlinelibrary.../ijd.12191/full

http://onlinelibrary...07.07145.x/full

http://onlinelibrary...enticated=false

Thanks for the warning Michelle.. I will keep an eye out for them! Ladies is it me or are zits more painful while on accutane?? It seems everything is speeded up and I can literally feel them trying to push there way out? I have got a pimple/small cyst on my cheek and it bloody hurts! I had 2 like this last month. You would think from the pain that I had a big boil on my face.  maybe my skin is sensitive? Yesterday I was cleaning the patio off and it was sunny but it was 7 degrees (!) and my face was beet red and burning (thankfully its ok today) I have learned my lesson, sunscreen all the way now regardless of temperature. All the blackheads have come up on my chin now and if I tilt my face in the mirror I can see them. So I don't tilt my face in the mirror smile.png

#44 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hi.. Just thought I would check in to see how you are doing!!  I STILL have 2 cysts, seriously they will not die. Otherwise , skin looks clear. My derm is not concerned, he says they will resolve and It wouldn't be unusual to get a few more yet.  I asked about taking more than 10mg a day but he seems to think I need to be on it long term so low dose is better for me.. I don't know, I sometimes think I would rather hammer it for 6 mths rather than drag it out..I think because I am perimenopausal (Oh the shame!) my doc does not want to go the traditional way.Strangely the hyperpigmentation is starting to fade so I think your derm could be right! I also have a glow to my skin which is nice! I have got no aching or tiredness but it would be surprising if I did on such a low dose. I hope yours resolves too and don't worry about the cysts.. they will go!! Its the acne's last stand before you get clear! 

My mum was saying that she has never known so many adult women suffering from acne and that it seemed so much rarer 20-30 years ago, she remembers plenty of teenagers but hardly any adults suffering. This sort of backs up what I have been reading, that there is an adult acne epidemic. Makes you wonder why? Stress maybe affecting hormones?? God knows.. I know the bloody acne is stressful!! smile.png Maybe we use too many products on our skin, when previous generations didn't? 

Anyway Cherry soda you aren't on your own.. your UK counterpart is here, sympathizing and encouraging you.. and popping the bloody pills alongside ya..!!  xx

A glow to the skin is always nice!

I do think it's crazy that more adult women seem to have cystic acne nowadays, as opposed to what I've heard about female adult acne 20+ years ago. I wonder if Michelle might be able to find a paper or journal article online about that. :) Maybe if we ask nicely, she'll come up with something.

So glad to still have my UK counterpart. I appreciate your support, as always!

#45 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hi.. Just thought I would check in to see how you are doing!!  I STILL have 2 cysts, seriously they will not die. Otherwise , skin looks clear. My derm is not concerned, he says they will resolve and It wouldn't be unusual to get a few more yet.  I asked about taking more than 10mg a day but he seems to think I need to be on it long term so low dose is better for me.. I don't know, I sometimes think I would rather hammer it for 6 mths rather than drag it out..I think because I am perimenopausal (Oh the shame!) my doc does not want to go the traditional way.Strangely the hyperpigmentation is starting to fade so I think your derm could be right! I also have a glow to my skin which is nice! I have got no aching or tiredness but it would be surprising if I did on such a low dose. I hope yours resolves too and don't worry about the cysts.. they will go!! Its the acne's last stand before you get clear! 

My mum was saying that she has never known so many adult women suffering from acne and that it seemed so much rarer 20-30 years ago, she remembers plenty of teenagers but hardly any adults suffering. This sort of backs up what I have been reading, that there is an adult acne epidemic. Makes you wonder why? Stress maybe affecting hormones?? God knows.. I know the bloody acne is stressful!! Maybe we use too many products on our skin, when previous generations didn't? 

Anyway Cherry soda you aren't on your own.. your UK counterpart is here, sympathizing and encouraging you.. and popping the bloody pills alongside ya..!!  xx

A glow to the skin is always nice!

I do think it's crazy that more adult women seem to have cystic acne nowadays, as opposed to what I've heard about female adult acne 20+ years ago. I wonder if Michelle might be able to find a paper or journal article online about that. Maybe if we ask nicely, she'll come up with something.

So glad to still have my UK counterpart. I appreciate your support, as always!

*cracks fingers* Let's see what I can find. smile.png

Looks like no one studied any increase or decrease for cystic acne in women. All I've found was that there's been an increase of acne starting earlier--nothing specific about severity. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23210645

There are acne look-alikes. There's a particular variant that looks like severe acne that only happens in young women. It's called pyoderma faciale, AKA rosacea fulminans. http://www.dermnetnz...ma-faciale.html

Sometimes, severe enough acne rosacea, which also occurs in women, can look like severe acne. Nobody really distinguishes or says much these, since treatment is similar. They would if there was enough biopsies done and that would be more often published in journals.

Edited by Michelle Reece, 04 March 2014 - 06:04 PM.

#46 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

Week 16 Update-

Dosage: 60 mg (30 mg/2 x daily)

Sorry that my update for last week has been so slow in coming, you guys. Last week was especially busy for me, with a big exam and my first weekend out in several weeks. I needed a little break from the computer.

I feel like last week was especially anxiety-inducing, almost certainly because of my Accutane treatment. My exam last week really stressed me out, and on Thursday I succumbed to a panic attack while in my mom's car on the way to do some shopping. It was a pretty frightening experience, and I felt so guilty for scaring my mom, as well. I used to have panic attacks in my early to mid-twenties, when I was a smoker and ate gluten. It had been about 4 years since my last panic attack, and I was not happy about experiencing my latest one. I hope it doesn't happen again, but I am not sure how to avoid them while on these meds. Getting stressed out over exams is pretty much unavoidable, because I'm taking this medication. 

Not much has changed, in terms of my skin. The constellation of acne lesions I described in my Week 15 update is fading away, and I think that I broke out as much as I did this time because I ate more dairy dairy products than I usually do past month. I thought it might be safe to reintroduce larger quantities of dairy into my diet while taking isotretinoin (before I got on the meds, I largely abstained from it), but apparently that's not the case. This past breakout occurred a little before my most recent menstrual period, and it's the biggest breakout I've had in a long time (even before I started taking Accutane).

Finally, here are some pics I took today of my face in natural light. I am wearing Vaseline in them, since it's my day off. More pics coming in about 4 weeks.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails

• unnamed (4).jpg
  • unnamed.jpg

Edited by CherrySoda08, 08 March 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#47 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

Not such a fan of the quality of the last pics I posted. Looks like I'm going to have to publish a new batch for Week 17. eusa_think.gif

Edited by CherrySoda08, 11 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#48 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

I like your description, "constellation of acne scars". That's creative! :)

Good thing you've stopped smoking! Your skin will thank you in the long run!

How are you tolerating the Vaseline? Is it too greasy for you?

From your heavily pixelated pics, it doesn't look your acne scars are too bad. Is that a good thing? ;)

#49 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

I like your description, "constellation of acne scars". That's creative! smile.png

From your heavily pixelated pics, it doesn't look your acne scars are too bad. Is that a good thing? wink.png

I quit smoking about 2 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made!

I like the Vaseline. It is very greasy, but I think the effects are worth tolerating the grease for. When I wake up in the morning after having Vaseline on my face for the entire night, my skin looks so well-rested and moisturized.

No, it's not a good thing. I want to show my scars as they are. I'm using a different camera next time.

#50 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

I like your description, "constellation of acne scars". That's creative!

From your heavily pixelated pics, it doesn't look your acne scars are too bad. Is that a good thing?

I quit smoking about 2 years ago. One of the best decisions I ever made!

I like the Vaseline. It is very greasy, but I think the effects are worth tolerating the grease for. When I wake up in the morning after having Vaseline on my face for the entire night, my skin looks so well-rested and moisturized.

No, it's not a good thing. I want to show my scars as they are. I'm using a different camera next time.

Yay! I'm pretty sure you're breathing a lot better now. :)

Slathering moisturizers makes my skin look a lot better, too. And it looks not as oily! Muahaha! :D

Hmm, is it a lot worse than what the pics are showing? wacko.png

The nice thing about being pale is that more options are available to you!

#51 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Michelle,

Oh yes, breathing so much better. :)

No, my scarring is not much worse than what my most recent pics are showing. You can see almost exactly how it looks in some of my previous updates on this thread.

And yes, being pale is a blessing in some ways.

#52 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Michelle,

Oh yes, breathing so much better. smile.png

No, my scarring is not much worse than what my most recent pics are showing. You can see almost exactly how it looks in some of my previous updates on this thread.

And yes, being pale is a blessing in some ways.

All right, just checking to make sure your acne scars didn't somehow get worse. That can happen without proper sun protection and age.

Are you considering chemical peels or lasers to fix your scars? For some reason, chemical peels sound better to me than lasers--then again, I want a chemical peel or IPL. :P

#53 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

Michelle,

No, they're not getting any worse. I've heard the scars can look temporarily worse while on Accutane, due to the thinning of the skin. Is that right? I take quite a bit of care to make sure that that I protect my skin from the sun. Of course, there's not much I can do about age. 

I eventually hope to get some lasering done for my acne scarring. I've already had two chemical peels, and you can read about my experiences with them in this thread I created here; http://www.acne.org/...ring-with-pics/

A year to 6 months after being off Accutane, I plan on getting more punch grafts and excisions. Later on, (like a couple of years down the line), I plan to have some laser work.

Why do you want IPL? That's a type of laser, correct? Why would you prefer getting that over any other kind of laser?

Edited by CherrySoda08, 04 March 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#54 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:07 PM

Michelle,

No, they're not getting any worse. I've heard the scars can look temporarily worse while on Accutane, due to the thinning of the skin. Is that right? I take quite a bit of care to make sure that that I protect my skin from the sun. Of course, there's not much I can do about age. 

I eventually hope to get some lasering done for my acne scarring. I've already had two chemical peels, and you can read about my experiences with them in this thread I created here; http://www.acne.org/...ring-with-pics/

A year to 6 months after being off Accutane, I plan on getting more punch grafts and excisions. Later on, (like a couple of years down the line), I plan to have some laser work.

Why do you want IPL? That's a type of laser, correct? Why would you prefer getting that over any other kind of laser?

Accutane doesn't thin the skin per se, though it can make red marks, wrinkles, and indents look worse due to the dryness.

Hmmm, the Obagi Blue Peel. That's a kind of TCA peel. 35%, IIRC.

IPL is intense pulsed light, which is very good for discoloration. The most bothersome is the brownish discoloration around my chin. Not quite sure if I'd qualify for Fraxel yet, though.

I'm likelier to qualify for a salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and/or TCA peel for my scarring and acne. I'd imagine getting excision in only 1-3 areas.

#55 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

Michelle,

Accutane doesn't thin the skin per se, though it can make red marks, wrinkles, and indents look worse due to the dryness.

IPL is intense pulsed light, which is very good for discoloration. The most bothersome is the brownish discoloration around my chin. Not quite sure if I'd qualify for Fraxel yet, though.

I'm likelier to qualify for a salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and/or TCA peel for my scarring and acne. I'd imagine getting excision in only 1-3 areas.

I definitely have noticed that some of my indents look worse since getting on Accutane. It may be because my skin has been more dry on the days I don't use Vaseline.

Come to think of it, I had some pulsed-dye lasering done just prior to my 2nd Blue Peel for discoloration. Here's a link for it on realself.com; http://www.realself....e-laser/reviews

Is that laser similar to IPL?

You only want excision for yourself in 1-3 areas?

#56 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Michelle,

I definitely have noticed that some of my indents look worse since getting on Accutane. It may be because my skin has been more dry on the days I don't use Vaseline.

Come to think of it, I had some pulsed-dye lasering done just prior to my 2nd Blue Peel for discoloration. Here's a link for it on realself.com; http://www.realself....e-laser/reviews

Is that laser similar to IPL?

You only want excision for yourself in 1-3 areas?

Blasphemy! How dare you not apply moisturizer every single second of every single day! grinwink.gifteehee.gif

IPL and lasers are different because IPL delivers many different wavelengths, whereas lasers are just one.

Both IPL and pulsed dye lasers destroy the pigment in blood (haemoglobin), but pulsed dye lasers are a more effective and come with (sometimes) more tolerable side effects.

#57 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Michelle, 

Haha. I actually do use moisturizer every day. On the days I go out of the house, I use Cetaphil's Oil Control SPF 30 moisturizer (http://www.target.co...CFRQV7AodhXsALw). I have to use 3 times as much moisturizer as I used to, and it still doesn't quite give me all the moisture I need. unsure.png That's why I slather on the Vaseline at home. I think that's why I feel like I can see my acne scarring more on days I use the Cetaphil moisturizer. My face is drier, thus showing my scarring in more detail. Yuck.

#58 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Michelle, 

Haha. I actually do use moisturizer every day. On the days I go out of the house, I use Cetaphil's Oil Control SPF 30 moisturizer (http://www.target.co...CFRQV7AodhXsALw). I have to use 3 times as much moisturizer as I used to, and it still doesn't quite give me all the moisture I need. That's why I slather on the Vaseline at home. I think that's why I feel like I can see my acne scarring more on days I use the Cetaphil moisturizer. My face is drier, thus showing my scarring in more detail. Yuck.

Argh, I forgot to answer why I thought I'd want 1-3 excisions. Yes, I do have a few icepick scars, but 3 of them are deep and in odd places in and by my ears. The rest of them aren't as deep, and could probably be improved with TCA CROSS or with lighter chemical peels. It's a little difficult to gauge whether I need more excisions, considering I have a patch of blackheads on my right cheek I've been combating for a while. I don't think those will become scars yet.

3x more moisturizer, so past the typical dime-sized amount? Good idea to buy the 16 oz containers!

Oh, I do hope you don't have to deal with the dryness for more than a year! That would be horrible, and I'd argue it's worse than greasy skin.

Edited by Michelle Reece, 05 March 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#59 CherrySoda08

CherrySoda08

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Michelle, 

Haha. I actually do use moisturizer every day. On the days I go out of the house, I use Cetaphil's Oil Control SPF 30 moisturizer (http://www.target.co...CFRQV7AodhXsALw). I have to use 3 times as much moisturizer as I used to, and it still doesn't quite give me all the moisture I need. That's why I slather on the Vaseline at home. I think that's why I feel like I can see my acne scarring more on days I use the Cetaphil moisturizer. My face is drier, thus showing my scarring in more detail. Yuck.

Argh, I forgot to answer why I thought I'd want 1-3 excisions. Yes, I do have a few icepick scars, but 3 of them are deep and in odd places in and by my ears. The rest of them aren't as deep, and could probably be improved with TCA CROSS or with lighter chemical peels. It's a little difficult to gauge whether I need more excisions, considering I have a patch of blackheads on my right cheek I've been combating for a while. I don't think those will become scars yet.

3x more moisturizer, so past the typical dime-sized amount? Good idea to buy the 16 oz containers!

Oh, I do hope you don't have to deal with the dryness for more than a year! That would be horrible, and I'd argue it's worse than greasy skin.

What kinds of treatment have you had for your scarring so far?

I shouldn't have to deal with the dryness for more than a year after a 6 month course, right?

#60 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Michelle, 

What kinds of treatment have you had for your scarring so far?

I shouldn't have to deal with the dryness for more than a year after a 6 month course, right?

None in particular so far. I did go on topical adapalene and sodium sulfacetamide for my acne a year ago, but insurance went through some changes, and dropped it. Now, I think I can actually go back to a derm. amused.gif I'm saving up, just in case it's pricier than what I think.

Typically, most people deal with dryness during and a few months after a course. It can be permanent, but it's seen with higher doses, like 80+ mg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users