Photo

Diet/Lifestyle has 100 percent effect on acne

vitamin vitamins vitamin a zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:18 AM

I am 100 percent convinced that diet and lifestyle have 100% effect on acne.

B5

Zinc

Vitamin A ......

#2 bluelight

bluelight

MISS :-)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:26 AM

In addition, I am convinced too that vitamin supplements are totally unnecessary if you're eating a balanced diet and have no special problems.

#3 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE(:-) @ Oct 23 2004, 11:26 PM)
In addition, I am convinced too that vitamin supplements are totally unnecessary if you're eating a balanced diet and have no special problems.

View Post

The food we eat nowadays is deficient in many vitamins and minerals. This is because the land they are grown on is used over and over again.

Even a balanced meal will not give you the right amount of nutrients.

High Fiber Diets
Mineral deficiencies can occur from eating unleavened whole grains

http://www.ctds.info...iber_diets.html

Many medical web sites state that while foods like whole wheat have phytates that may bind with minerals and make them less absorbable, the amount of minerals contained in the food makes up for this. I would say this dogma does not correlate with my personal experiences nor those of my friend. So I checked PubMed to see if there have ever been any actual studies on this subject.

Interestingly, I found a study just on this subject from researchers at the Research Department of Human Nutrition, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Frederiksberg, Denmark. The study abstract was entitled Zinc, copper and magnesium absorption from a fibre-rich diet. The researchers examined selected mineral absorption and retention from a high fiber and high phytate diet of conventional foods in 8 healthy subjects. At the end of their study, they concluded that absorption of zinc, copper and magnesium from the fiber rich diet was not sufficient to cover intestinal and urinary losses of these elements, resulting in negative balances.

So this study confirmed what my friend and I had both suspected from high intakes of whole grain foods. Perhaps for some people who may not be at risk for mineral deficiencies, these negative mineral balances would not pose a problem. However, for people like me who always seem to be on the cusp of nutritional deficiencies, especially those of zinc and magnesium, I've learned that high fiber, high phytate diets are not the best choice

#4 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:09 AM

A well balanced diet wil give you all the nutrients. If you're talking about megadosing on like 50mg of zinc or 8g of B5 then no, diet won't give you this but it most certainly will give you the RDA. If the study is true that high fiber causes less absorbtion, than just eat something high in the mineral like pumpkin seeds(zinc).

Anyway, read up on modern practices of farming and then you'll have a different opinion about your soil fact.

#5 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:22 AM

Genetics are reason some of us have acne while others do not. I don't even need a study to verify that fact. People with great healthy diets and lifestyle still get acne, while there are folks who live on smokes, beer and chips who have fabulous skin.Now they may die at forty of a heart attack. There is a girl who works for me, and I'm not joking...She smokes at pack a day. She lives on cheeseburgers and MGD. She not only has beautiful skin, she's thin too. The vegan on my staff has bad skin and exercises daily while still having a weight problem. Genes suck or they can be your saving grace.

#6 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:23 AM

Genetics are reason some of us have acne while others do not. I don't even need a study to verify that fact. People with great healthy diets and lifestyle still get acne, while there are folks who live on smokes, beer and chips who have fabulous skin.Now they

#7 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 06:19 AM

As children we dont particularly have healthy diets, I eat much healthier now than when I was about 10 but even then I ate healthier than most and I didnt have any acne then. Diet really isnt the problem. I know people who are on hard illicit drugs and just eat junk food all the time and they have perfect skin. I eat quite healthily though and I get acne. Diet does not affect acne in my opinion and I think its just another case of people getting desperate and paranoid about their condition. I know how hard it is to explain to yourself why you have acne, I remember at one of my lowest points I got convinced I was getting acne because I'd dropped my face flannel on the floor.

#8 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:24 AM

That's awesome (how you think diet/lifestyle has 100 percent effect on acne). Want to share or was it just a way to make it known without any reasoning? Thanks.

#9 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:11 AM

I agree that genetics plays a large role in acne(although when I did have acne I was basically the only one in my family, albiet mild acne but still no one else had it as a teen, young adult, adult).

ben100604: You didn't have acnn as a 10yo because you didn't even have the developed glands to produce sebum.

#10 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

Babies produce sebum. I don't know who is thinking young children don't produce sebum -- they do.

#11 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:49 AM

If its genetics, then why don't my brothers of 14 and 17 don't have acne? Not a flaw on their face, genetics... Yeah ok
Your digestive system also has something to do with acne, try this
http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=26706

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:06 PM

Aye, you guys are so funny. Unless you've started puberty you don't have enough hormones to have acne at that age. Now, you could have developed a MAJOR hormonal imbalance (CAH) that early, in which case your doctors & parents should've known about it before you were born.

Me for example, I started puberty at age 8, started breaking out only on the forehead at age 10, and then body acne and cysts and an increase in (unwanted) body hair at age 11. Of course the fun didn't stop there and still hasn't, but despite having Hyperandrogenism from being Hyperinsulinemic, the right dietary changes worked for me.

As for the whole genetic thing, yeah that's why our bodies chose to express acne in order to make us aware that there is something wrong or imbalanced in our systems. My parents & brother still get acne. Mom used to have facial & body acne like me (doubt it was as bad), and will breakout a wee bit from chocolate CANDY. My father still breaks out a bit in his beard and upper back area (still eats peantus & gluten) and Type II Diabetes runs on his side of the family. My brother, haven't seen him in a few years so I can't be certain but I do remember the last time he still had a bit of acne.

Anyway, I guess my point is that it doesn't matter if your acne is "genetic", if you find that you are still sufferring 5, 10, 20 or more years from now, perhaps you may want to think about altering more of your Environmental Factors (skincare, toxns, diet, supplements, medication etc).

#13 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:40 PM

SJ,
You know I totally respect your dedication to holistic living and science.But, I have done the diets, the pills, the vitamins too.All I'm saying is that genetics play a really big role. So MB's assertion that diet=oily skin is bunk.I do live a healthy lifestyle, but I would hate someone to think that if they just found the right diet all their problems would be solved.And to the person who asked about siblings without acne,check out acnebook.com. Dr. Fulton, the most influential acne researcher of our time, has a much analysis of the genetic data than I can duplicate here.

PS. Why do the refs never call penalties on the Vikings??? eusa_sick.gif I just watched them spear and no call as usual. Enjoy your Sunday wink.gif

#14 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:13 PM

Genetics is a big part but you gotta realize genes are like throwing dice. You can have siblings without a single zit but it's not that simple. Just like some people think left handedness is a gene -- I have two right handed parents but am left handed. Seems simple? A grandparent of my mom and one from my dad was left handed and so I had a weird generational skip.

And SJ -- bodies don't "choose to show an imbalance as acne." We are not the zen-magnets that new age hippies want us to think.

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 24 2004, 12:13 PM)
Genetics is a big part but you gotta realize genes are like throwing dice. You can have siblings without a single zit but it's not that simple. Just like some people think left handedness is a gene -- I have two right handed parents but am left handed. Seems simple? A grandparent of my mom and one from my dad was left handed and so I had a weird generational skip.

And SJ -- bodies don't "choose to show an imbalance as acne." We are not the zen-magnets that new age hippies want us to think.

View Post

um....if I'm not mistaken our genes determine what phenotypic (physical) traits our bodies will express. Therefore YES, our bodies chose to express acne for some reason....what that reason is, can differ though.

#16 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:01 PM

Sorry I worded it wrong. Children don'thave the developed glands to produce enough sebum that matters. It doesn't really kick in until puberty starts and hair starts growing, and up to that point the amount doesn't really make a difference. I believe one of the benefits of accutane is that it shrinks the glands to produce as much oil as the person did pre-puberty. However isn't too little oil a bad thign int he long run? Isn't it the sebum that helps keep our skin looking young (I said helps, I know water, collagen, etc... all play a role)?

#17 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:29 PM

I think diet definitely has something to do with it for people who are susceptible to acne...but I don't know if its the perfect cure. For the last 7 years I've had acne ONLY on two small areas of my cheeks. Cutting out sugar helps a lot, but accutane has finally got me clear!

My skin has always been great except for these small areas on my cheeks...it makes me think there's something weird going on with my cell turnover in those regions.

But who really knows.

#18 [flip]

[flip]

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:35 PM

Acne = 100% diet influenced
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

I run 6-7 miles a day. My parents are vegetarians and thus I always have meals filled with vegetables, fruits, and whole grain foods. They believe in only eatting organic food, and thus almost everything we buy is organic. I almost never eat meat. My brother is allergic to dairy and thus I have grown to like soy milk and usually prefer it over organic milk. I still had acne until I went on accutane.

#19 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE([flip] @ Oct 24 2004, 06:35 PM)
lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif

I run 6-7 miles a day. My parents are vegetarians and thus I always have meals filled with vegetables, fruits, and whole grain foods. They believe in only eatting organic food, and thus almost everything we buy is organic. I almost never eat meat. My brother is allergic to dairy and thus I have grown to like soy milk and usually prefer it over organic milk. I still had acne until I went on accutane.

View Post

Grains are a big problem.

Eating meat is OK and good. It is in accordance with hunter-gatherer lifestyle.

Select your meat types.

#20 [flip]

[flip]

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:19 PM

I eat meat, but not very often. I would like to correct that. My mom and dad are vegetarians, but still eat fish. i don't really consider fish meat (even though it is).