Photo

Plan B Acne Plus Cleanup Story

plan b hormonal acne

Best Answer RacingheartZ, 05 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Update as of August 2015:

Here's my final update to the acne + Plan B story.  It turns out that I have had undiagnosed Lyme disease for about 15+ years now and it got to the point where I had significant neurological involvement in the last year and a half.  I wanted to update this in case anyone was googling "acne + plan B".  I don't think having a major hormonal acne explosion is a typical response to the Plan B oral contraceptive pill, I think it's a good indicator of an underlying imbalance.  In my case, I think the Lyme disease was already messing up my hormones and causing a lot of inflammation and when I threw plan B on top of that it was like adding fuel to a raging fire. 

Repleting my supplements (especially Vitamin D & B12), taking good care of my skin, taking supplements for scar healing, eating really clean, using quality skincare products definitely all helped my acne get back under control.  I still get occasional hormonal breakouts but it's nothing compared to where it was in 2014.  However, i know that my skin won't be fully clear until I really address the Lyme disease and that is a work in progress.  I've also been taking a good amount of antioxidants due to the Lyme disease (Liposomal C, Liposomal Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Liposomal Gluathione from LivOn labs) and those have been working wonders on my skin!  When I am regular with the Glutathione and good with my diet & lifestyle my skin almost becomes acne free (!!!!!)

Not saying that everyone who has a major acne breakout in response to plan B has Lyme disease, but I think it definitely is an indicator that there is a pre-existing imbalance that was exacerbated by the pill (or just a bad reaciton/allergic reaction to that particular type of birth control).  Our bodies give us so many clues when things are out of balance but we're often taught to just suppress/silence the symptom (like acne) instead of investigating the root causes (although that seems to be changing in certain medical circles). 

Keep listening to your bodies and work with them and try to figure out what your acne is trying to tell you!  Mine has been trying to tell me that I had a raging undiagnosed infection for years that was messing with my hormones and also backing up my body's detoxifcation pathways.  Here's a picture from February of this year when my skin was looking pretty fantastic .... the less Lyme symptoms I have in a given month, the better/more vibrant my skin looks.  It's a long road to go for treatment since I went undiagnosed for so long but I am hopefuly and looking forward to working WITH my body every step of the way!  It needs me now more than ever.

March 2014 No makeup constrasted with Feb 2015 no makeup:

March 2014
No Makeup February 2015

Feb 2015 With makeup:
February 2015 with makeup

May 2014 no makeup as contrasted with May 2015 with makeup:
May 2014

May 2015 with Makeup

Good luck to everyone!!!!  If I post again, it will probably be under a new topic since I feel the "plan B" mystery breakout has been resolved by learning about the underlying Lyme disease ..... for me, plab B + Lyme disease = major hormonal breakout. 

Go to the full post

44 replies to this topic

#41 RacingheartZ

RacingheartZ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2015 - 02:05 PM   Best Answer

Update as of August 2015:

Here's my final update to the acne + Plan B story.  It turns out that I have had undiagnosed Lyme disease for about 15+ years now and it got to the point where I had significant neurological involvement in the last year and a half.  I wanted to update this in case anyone was googling "acne + plan B".  I don't think having a major hormonal acne explosion is a typical response to the Plan B oral contraceptive pill, I think it's a good indicator of an underlying imbalance.  In my case, I think the Lyme disease was already messing up my hormones and causing a lot of inflammation and when I threw plan B on top of that it was like adding fuel to a raging fire. 

Repleting my supplements (especially Vitamin D & B12), taking good care of my skin, taking supplements for scar healing, eating really clean, using quality skincare products definitely all helped my acne get back under control.  I still get occasional hormonal breakouts but it's nothing compared to where it was in 2014.  However, i know that my skin won't be fully clear until I really address the Lyme disease and that is a work in progress.  I've also been taking a good amount of antioxidants due to the Lyme disease (Liposomal C, Liposomal Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Liposomal Gluathione from LivOn labs) and those have been working wonders on my skin!  When I am regular with the Glutathione and good with my diet & lifestyle my skin almost becomes acne free (!!!!!)

Not saying that everyone who has a major acne breakout in response to plan B has Lyme disease, but I think it definitely is an indicator that there is a pre-existing imbalance that was exacerbated by the pill (or just a bad reaciton/allergic reaction to that particular type of birth control).  Our bodies give us so many clues when things are out of balance but we're often taught to just suppress/silence the symptom (like acne) instead of investigating the root causes (although that seems to be changing in certain medical circles). 

Keep listening to your bodies and work with them and try to figure out what your acne is trying to tell you!  Mine has been trying to tell me that I had a raging undiagnosed infection for years that was messing with my hormones and also backing up my body's detoxifcation pathways.  Here's a picture from February of this year when my skin was looking pretty fantastic .... the less Lyme symptoms I have in a given month, the better/more vibrant my skin looks.  It's a long road to go for treatment since I went undiagnosed for so long but I am hopefuly and looking forward to working WITH my body every step of the way!  It needs me now more than ever.

March 2014 No makeup constrasted with Feb 2015 no makeup:
March 2014
No Makeup February 2015

Feb 2015 With makeup:
February 2015 with makeup

May 2014 no makeup as contrasted with May 2015 with makeup:
May 2014

May 2015 with Makeup

Good luck to everyone!!!!  If I post again, it will probably be under a new topic since I feel the "plan B" mystery breakout has been resolved by learning about the underlying Lyme disease ..... for me, plab B + Lyme disease = major hormonal breakout. 

Edited by RacingheartZ, 05 August 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#42 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:professional editor, researcher & writer.
    Interests: movies, traveling, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle
    My Grocery list (low histamine diet): http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/340189-my-grocery-list/

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:16 PM

WOW!!! Your photos made me really happy for you....I hope the lyme disease is as under control as your skin. I'm glad you finally got diagnosed...acne is a sign that something is wrong with our body, and when we address the cause, the acne subsides. I found out I had a demoid cyst that had to be removed, plus other issues, on the way to healing my skin. Good luck to you with your recovery!

Are you seeing a homeopath/ naturopath/ doctor for the supplements you are taking?
Supplements: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements, magnesium citrate [sometimes]. 

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list: http://www.acne.org/...y-grocery-list/

** Find the cause, find the cure **
** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

#43 RacingheartZ

RacingheartZ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

WOW!!! Your photos made me really happy for you....I hope the lyme disease is as under control as your skin. I'm glad you finally got diagnosed...acne is a sign that something is wrong with our body, and when we address the cause, the acne subsides. I found out I had a demoid cyst that had to be removed, plus other issues, on the way to healing my skin. Good luck to you with your recovery!

Are you seeing a homeopath/ naturopath/ doctor for the supplements you are taking?

Thanks so much!!!!  Thank you for following me and helping me out in the journey :-)  I'm definitely getting there with the Lyme disease ... I seem to have more and more good days as opposed to bad days which is amazing! 

I'm working closely with an acupuncturist/Chinese medicine practitioner for the herbs and I have my Masters in Nutrition & Integrative Health so I've been using my own knowledge to pick and choose supplements.  If I find anything useful for acne, I'll start a new topic.  YES the skin speaks loud and clear about what isn't right!  Glad to hear removing your cyst helped clear up your acne (in addition to the other issues). 

#44 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:professional editor, researcher & writer.
    Interests: movies, traveling, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle
    My Grocery list (low histamine diet): http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/340189-my-grocery-list/

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Thanks so much!!!!  Thank you for following me and helping me out in the journey :-)  I'm definitely getting there with the Lyme disease ... I seem to have more and more good days as opposed to bad days which is amazing! 

I'm working closely with an acupuncturist/Chinese medicine practitioner for the herbs and I have my Masters in Nutrition & Integrative Health so I've been using my own knowledge to pick and choose supplements.  If I find anything useful for acne, I'll start a new topic.  YES the skin speaks loud and clear about what isn't right!  Glad to hear removing your cyst helped clear up your acne (in addition to the other issues). 

Thank you for sharing your journey, and I'm glad you are aware of the Lyme disease and how to approach it. Keep us updated here with your progress and best of luck to you! You look awesome!

I'm thinking of starting a  thread for recommendations for good acupuncturists, Chinese medicine practitioners and other "alternative"practitioners (I will have to check acne.org's rules for listing services first). Would you recommend anyone? (I'm personally looking for someone in the New York city area as I'm moving there and have no idea). Do you treat patients as well? Your degree is so useful :)

Supplements: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements, magnesium citrate [sometimes]. 

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list: http://www.acne.org/...y-grocery-list/

** Find the cause, find the cure **
** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**

#45 RacingheartZ

RacingheartZ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

Thank you for sharing your journey, and I'm glad you are aware of the Lyme disease and how to approach it. Keep us updated here with your progress and best of luck to you! You look awesome!

I'm thinking of starting a  thread for recommendations for good acupuncturists, Chinese medicine practitioners and other "alternative"practitioners (I will have to check acne.org's rules for listing services first). Would you recommend anyone? (I'm personally looking for someone in the New York city area as I'm moving there and have no idea). Do you treat patients as well? Your degree is so useful :)

I just found a practice Tao Integrative Medicine and I've heard great things about their practitioners.  They do have some who practice in the NYC area:
http://www.taointegr...icine.com/team/

I might see one of their practitioners in Marlton, NJ or in the Philly area.  Best of luck with your move!!! 

I'm not currently treating anyone since working on myself is such a full time job!!  But hopefully someday when I'm feeling better, I can help other people as well.  It has been a really useful degree to help myself and to navgiate some of the information that I read.

Let me know how it goes if you end up seeing an acupuncturist in NY!

-Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users