Photo

Things Only People With Acne Will Understand!

acne pimples breakouts hormonal acne severe acne

154 replies to this topic

#21 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything! Seriously.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

^^ARGH! Or when you happen to see someone on a good skin day, and they say something like "Wow, your skin is clearing up!", you cross yourself and spit and throw salt over your shoulder and knock on wood and anything else you can think of to dispel bad juju because you know you will inevitably break out within 1-3 days of a skin compliment. And it will be BAD. 

I consider myself a skeptic on most things, but NOTHING in this world makes me more superstitious and paranoid than acne. Every time someone suggests my skin is improving (usually a change in makeup routine rather than true improvement) I feel like it's right before the most monsterous monster-cyst of my life shows up in a place IMPOSSIBLE to cover up, with 3-7 of its meanest Hench-men close behind. Could it be a hoodoo curse? Anything is possible... (le sigh). 

#22 geminirock19

geminirock19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

I consider myself a skeptic on most things, but NOTHING in this world makes me more superstitious and paranoid than acne. Every time someone suggests my skin is improving (usually a change in makeup routine rather than true improvement) I feel like it's right before the most monsterous monster-cyst of my life shows up in a place IMPOSSIBLE to cover up, with 3-7 of its meanest Hench-men close behind. Could it be a hoodoo curse? Anything is possible... (le sigh). 

Haha I can't believe how alike we sound! 

I've started to clear up and then reversed so many times that I'm scared to tell anyone anything now. I was two weeks into the regimen before I even had the nerve to tell anyone, and even now I'm almost a month in and still wary to talk about it. As soon as I say I'm good and almost clear I'm scared I'll doom myself. I feel like my whole life, all I've had to do is LOOK at my face and it'll break out!! I understand that feeling!! And it's always the worst breakouts too!

Edited by geminirock19, 16 January 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#23 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

Haha I can't believe how alike we sound! 

I've started to clear up and then reversed so many times that I'm scared to tell anyone anything now. I was two weeks into the regimen before I even had the nerve to tell anyone, and even now I'm almost a month in and still wary to talk about it. As soon as I say I'm good and almost clear I'm scared I'll doom myself. I feel like my whole life, all I've had to do is LOOK at my face and it'll break out!! I understand that feeling!! And it's always the worst breakouts too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this strange superstition! I have been on isotretinoin for about 3 weeks and every time I see my family they keep saying, wow - the medicine is already working (it just so happens that I started during my clear stage) I consistently reminded them that I will probably break out soon...but it never happened. 3 days ago, I finally said to my mom "hmm...it really does seem to be working, maybe I'm on of the lucky ones!" and what did I wake up with yesterday? You guessed it... A FLIPPING BREAKOUT!
 :(

#24 LuckyDory

LuckyDory

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

The only time I've smiled or laughed in the past six months has been when I read this thread. Thanks guys

#25 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Late to the party, but:

-having acne incorporated into your dreams as just a normal thing (despite my skin being clear for months, now... because I had it so long)

-wearing foundation to the beach

-going to the dentist is a singularly torturous event

-wanting to go camping, but worried that people will see your zits (also anything outdoorsy)

-sleeping over at friends houses as a kid

-people with clear skin giving you advice (lolwut?)

I've cleared my skin completely with a combination OCM, BP, glycolic acid peels and (probably most importantly) a completely altered diet which includes zero sugar and zero dairy (and minimal other carbohydrates). What nobody told me to expect was the psychological scarring. My skin looks great, but I'm still ultra-conscious and weird about my face. I am also very superstitious about it, and I feel as if the acne gods will smite me if I step out of line or something... like paranoid acne karma. I still feel that I have acne even though it's been gone for a while. Anyone with me, there?

#26 joey231

joey231

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

being interviewed by the news...with sunlight "bathing" your face..oh god,everybody gets to see your acne on TV ;(

#27 geminirock19

geminirock19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

being interviewed by the news...with sunlight "bathing" your face..oh god,everybody gets to see your acne on TV ;(

OMG i have horrific premonitions of that all the time! even though i'll probably never be on the news, but when I see normal looking people just being interviewed I always think of me on the tv with my acne

Late to the party, but:

-having acne incorporated into your dreams as just a normal thing (despite my skin being clear for months, now... because I had it so long)

-wanting to go camping, but worried that people will see your zits (also anything outdoorsy)

I've cleared my skin completely with a combination OCM, BP, glycolic acid peels and (probably most importantly) a completely altered diet which includes zero sugar and zero dairy (and minimal other carbohydrates). What nobody told me to expect was the psychological scarring. My skin looks great, but I'm still ultra-conscious and weird about my face. I am also very superstitious about it, and I feel as if the acne gods will smite me if I step out of line or something... like paranoid acne karma. I still feel that I have acne even though it's been gone for a while. Anyone with me, there?

YES dscully! wearing foundation to the beach... ugh so fun right? my friends used to call me out on it and make it even worse. "Why are you wearing makeup to the beach??" must be nice to have flawless skin.

Yes I totally agree with you that whenever my acne does clear, I always remember and feel like I still have it. I think I'll still feel it when I'm looking someone straight in the eye when I'm 80 years old. The paranoia doesn't really go away.

#28 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

OMG i have horrific premonitions of that all the time! even though i'll probably never be on the news, but when I see normal looking people just being interviewed I always think of me on the tv with my acne

>>Late to the party, but:

YES dscully! wearing foundation to the beach... ugh so fun right? my friends used to call me out on it and make it even worse. "Why are you wearing makeup to the beach??" must be nice to have flawless skin.

Yes I totally agree with you that whenever my acne does clear, I always remember and feel like I still have it. I think I'll still feel it when I'm looking someone straight in the eye when I'm 80 years old. The paranoia doesn't really go away.

uuuugh people in general calling you out on wearing makeup.  The only thing worse than your acne being the elephant in the room is your acne/foundation being talked about. Comments from people about acne or makeup are about as welcome as a root canal. "perfect skin priviledge" is not a thing, but it should be. I've had a person with perfect skin give me advice WHILE they were downing half a pizza, which is something that would ravage my skin with about a 1-week delay. They just seriously don't understand it at all.

Hands down worst comment: "If you stressed about it less it would go away"

Edited by dscully, 16 January 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#29 LeoFernandez

LeoFernandez

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

bright daylight or sun shining on your face is the worst.

#30 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

>

>>Late to the party, but:

>

uuuugh people in general calling you out on wearing makeup.  The only thing worse than your acne being the elephant in the room is your acne/foundation being talked about. Comments from people about acne or makeup are about as welcome as a root canal. "perfect skin priviledge" is not a thing, but it should be. I've had a person with perfect skin give me advice WHILE they were downing half a pizza, which is something that would ravage my skin with about a 1-week delay. They just seriously don't understand it at all.
Hands down worst comment: "If you stressed about it less it would go away"
^^Whenever someone says that to me I want to punch them in the face - hole! Argh! Or "at least it's only cosmetic..." and the bane of an acne sufferer's existence: "at least it's not...[insert terminal illness here]" ROAAAAR

#31 dunedain

dunedain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

When the spotlights flashing around a nightclub land on your face for a second and everyone around you gets to see your sweaty, caked, bumpy face for a split second, and you thought you could get away with being kind of pretty in the darkness for one night........:'( 

But yes this thread is gold! I feel like there's so many acne-sufferers out there....why do I not know anyone who can relate to me in real life?!

#32 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

You're going to hate me for spilling the beans but to those of us with severe acne scars it just sounds like so much whining. That does not mean we don't understand your frustration. But, seriously, let's not freak out over 1 or 2 zits. On the other hand, if your entire face is caked with acne, then we might have a genuine dialog.

#33 geminirock19

geminirock19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

Edited by geminirock19, 17 January 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#34 geminirock19

geminirock19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

But yes this thread is gold! I feel like there's so many acne-sufferers out there....why do I not know anyone who can relate to me in real life?!

Right?? That's what I want to know! You guys are it for me. I can't find anyone in real life. It's definitely a lonely feeling.

#35 AcneWonderland

AcneWonderland

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:skin, face, looks

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

-when you have read so many articles and various in depth scientist info that you could become scientist yourself but you still fucking break out like its nothing =_=

-when family tell you to not pick your pimples or else itll get worse but you feel like that shit itches, aches and actually can almost feel how its growing and you just want to tear your whole skin off! ><

-when you watch a tv show or video and often find yourself dozing off from show plot just to think about how awasome peoples skin looks *_*

#36 Joy4ever

Joy4ever

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Wow, I can relate lots of the mentioned in this post to my own life!! It's making me happy, haha! :) Peope can have fun even though having acne !!

#37 j0sephine

j0sephine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

i have one....

when you take pictures/selfies and you either have to find a lighting which doesn't show your redness or filter it a lot!!! so annoying

#38 Fare Thee Well

Fare Thee Well

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Guitar, Old classic movies & music, Jimi Hendrix, 12 string guitars, traveling (but i have not done that in a while), & fitness (but i also haven't done that in a long time)

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Patting your oily face with your shirt or a napkin 

I always talk to my acne and name them on there shape & size

#39 iGotProblems

iGotProblems

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

• Spending an hour (or more) in front of the mirror popping pimples just so you can face the world
  • Being paranoid about everything that touches your face
  • Avoiding having your picture taken like it's the plague...I swear the camera adds 20 zits!
  • Avoiding social interaction when you're having a bad breakout

That feels...

#40 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

I can relate to all of the above; the family blame and the friends complaining about microscopic spots in the single digits are my pet peeves.

Also:

"Why are you wearing makeup to the beach??" 

*Having anticipated this question and having the answer "it's the only things with SPF that doesn't break me out" at the ready. (It's actually true in the case of Bare Minerals.)

*Being asked by a kid: why is your face bleeding?

*Having to throw out t-shirts you love because of stains from back and chest acne (this was pre-accutane)

Patting your oily face with your shirt or a napkin 

I always talk to my acne and name them on there shape & size

LOL, what are some of the names?

I may have to start this... I can already think of some... "Screamer" "Third Eye" "Bloody Mary" "Crack Snapple Pop" "Krispy" "Speed bump" "Die Hard (with a vengeance)"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users