64 replies to this topic

#41 RobustMist

RobustMist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

The reason we are replying is because you know brings up a TON of good points. We always need someone to criticize the common belief for the sake of new ideas.

But I believe that acne is caused by diet. Here's why:

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle. Accutane is the only treatment available that is known to work and completely clear up skin. Now you're probably wondering: what the fuck does accutane have to do with the diet-acne link?

Accutane is very, very similar to vitamin A. Vitamin A was actually used in high doses to treat acne before accutane was developed. Vitamin A is also very, very effective at treating acne (read link at bottom of my post). I believe that acne is caused by a lack of vitamin A. Nowadays, our diet consists of such little vitamin A that it makes my point even clearer (a pun, hahha) as to why we are seeing increased rates of acne. The half-life of vitamin A is 6 months so if you are a salad daily your levels would steadily increase.

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/6453848/

Edited by RobustMist, 06 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#42 paigems

paigems

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle.

I think the Accutane clearing rate is much lower. I've seen studies reporting acne remission rates as low as 40%.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle.

I think the Accutane clearing rate is much lower. I've seen studies reporting acne remission rates as low as 40%.

Yes. And then even those for whom it works, its only temporary and they take it again and again.

We are misled all the time about success rates. Take the flu shot. It's only about 50%effective and that is when they include the right strains, which isn't that often. Your best defense isn't a flu shot, its a strong immune system which you get by consuming nutrients, sleeping, managing stress, exercise, laughter, etc.

Natural gas isn't all that clean burning either, btw.

#44 kokobear

kokobear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yes. And then even those for whom it works, its only temporary and they take it again and again.

We are misled all the time about success rates. Take the flu shot. It's only about 50%effective and that is when they include the right strains, which isn't that often. Your best defense isn't a flu shot, its a strong immune system which you get by consuming nutrients, sleeping, managing stress, exercise, laughter, etc.

Of course it's temporary, cystic acne is a genetic disease and will always require lifelong maintenance. Genetics have the upper hand and Accutane won't change them permanently worth a flip.

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Of course it's temporary, cystic acne is a genetic disease and will always require lifelong maintenance. Genetics have the upper hand and Accutane won't change them permanently worth a flip.

The point is that it isn't the miracle cure kids keep telling themselves it is.   So you can keep taking a dangerous drug over and over. Or you can eat and live right which will also prevent disease and retard aging.

Click on the OPs name and check out his other topics all about the many problems he has had with the accutane & BP that weren't mentioned here.

#46 kokobear

kokobear

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

The reason we are replying is because you know brings up a TON of good points. We always need someone to criticize the common belief for the sake of new ideas.

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle. Accutane is the only treatment available that is known to work and completely clear up skin. Now you're probably wondering: what the fuck does accutane have to do with the diet-acne link?

Accutane is very, very similar to vitamin A. Vitamin A was actually used in high doses to treat acne before accutane was developed. Vitamin A is also very, very effective at treating acne (read link at bottom of my post). I believe that acne is caused by a lack of vitamin A. Nowadays, our diet consists of such little vitamin A that it makes my point even clearer (a pun, hahha) as to why we are seeing increased rates of acne. The half-life of vitamin A is 6 months so if you are a salad daily your levels would steadily increase.

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/6453848/

No. Accutane is as a synthetically produced chemotherapeutic retinoid, it is not just high dose vitamin A. Neither does a diet rich in vitamin a cure acne.

#47 DanTheNewWorld

DanTheNewWorld

there's no Justice, it's just Us

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:making buddies with musicians derived/altered by acne :)

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:19 AM

No, inflammation is at the root of acne formation, not just cysts. It initiates the malformed cells that do not exfoliate freely.

..hope you're right, i wish you are

..aaand you're not:

"Severe acne is imflammatory, but acne can also manifest in noninflammatory forms." (wikipedia)

i generally don't agree with the op here, but for the sake of the forum let me try to help this topic:

if acne is a food allergy, or unhealthy eating, then why does it manifests itself only when puberty begins?

and why in the most cases of eradicating it, the answer is a hormonal med?

how come after bc pills you're not "gluten intollerant" anymore, etc?

People seem to often confuse necessary and sufficient conditions. Why does acne usually manifest when puberty begins? Because sebum overproduction driven by hormones is a necessary condition for acne. It is not a sufficient condition for acne - sebum overproduction alone will not cause acne. So the simple answer is that a necessary condition is not being fulfilled, and thus no acne.

"Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, affecting an estimated 80-90% of teenagers" (wikipedia)

why dont you see 8-9 out of 10 adults with acne?

well this question had an innitial role of eliminating the "acne is a food allergy" theory, so i may ask the wrong person. but u seem to be talented at making theories anyway. lol

Edited by DanTheNewWorld, 08 January 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#48 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

No, inflammation is at the root of acne formation, not just cysts. It initiates the malformed cells that do not exfoliate freely.

..aaand you're not:

"Severe acne is imflammatory, but acne can also manifest in noninflammatory forms." (wikipedia)

i generally don't agree with the op here, but for the sake of the forum let me try to help this topic:

if acne is a food allergy, or unhealthy eating, then why does it manifests itself only when puberty begins?

and why in the most cases of eradicating it, the answer is a hormonal med?

how come after bc pills you're not "gluten intollerant" anymore, etc?

People seem to often confuse necessary and sufficient conditions. Why does acne usually manifest when puberty begins? Because sebum overproduction driven by hormones is a necessary condition for acne. It is not a sufficient condition for acne - sebum overproduction alone will not cause acne. So the simple answer is that a necessary condition is not being fulfilled, and thus no acne.

"Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, affecting an estimated 80-90% of teenagers" (wikipedia)

why dont you see 8-9 out of 10 adults with acne?

well this question had an innitial role of eliminating the "acne is a food allergy" theory, so i may ask the wrong person. but u seem to be talented at making theories anyway. lol

Well the reason you don't see as many adults with acne is because sebum production (mostly in terms of quality), for most people, normalizes after puberty, so you're removing the necessary condition. People might still have the food sensitivities, but they are not manifesting as acne because the required sebum composition is not there (because hormones have normalized).

Also, I have a feeling that not all acne is the same - cystic acne and comedonal acne likely have somewhat different causes. I was able to clear my cystic acne very easily by changing my diet. My comedonal acne stuck around. Even this past Christmas, when I ate too much chocolate, the inflammatory acne returned, and now has subsided on cue as I returned to my paleo diet. I was able to clear my chest acne with colostrum, which is basically an immunomodulator, but it didn't do much for my face acne. I have a hard time understanding why doctors and dermatologists think that acne manifesting on different parts of the body and in different forms is all the same, and thus should be treated the same. This seems fundamentally wrong to me, especially since we still don't even know the root cause that ties these conditions together.

#49 DanTheNewWorld

DanTheNewWorld

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Well the reason you don't see as many adults with acne is because sebum production (mostly in terms of quality), for most people, normalizes after puberty, so you're removing the necessary condition. People might still have the food sensitivities, but they are not manifesting as acne because the required sebum composition is not there (because hormones have normalized).

Also, I have a feeling that not all acne is the same - cystic acne and comedonal acne likely have somewhat different causes. I was able to clear my cystic acne very easily by changing my diet. My comedonal acne stuck around. Even this past Christmas, when I ate too much chocolate, the inflammatory acne returned, and now has subsided on cue as I returned to my paleo diet. I was able to clear my chest acne with colostrum, which is basically an immunomodulator, but it didn't do much for my face acne. I have a hard time understanding why doctors and dermatologists think that acne manifesting on different parts of the body and in different forms is all the same, and thus should be treated the same. This seems fundamentally wrong to me, especially since we still don't even know the root cause that ties these conditions together.

amen!

again i'd like to quote my first post ever on this forum, since it's my most mature one lol:

"there are 2 sides of acne:

1 whiteheads (or/blackheads - not in my case anymore) - this is what i call acne

2 inflamated (red/deep/bumps/cysts i thing u call them) - this is a more general state of health or imune sistem state, which depends on diet&lifestyle, this surrounds acne but i don't call it actual acne"

..aaand you're not:

oh wait, you're double wrong because when i was under antibiotics > 1,5 years of acne-free skin, the were no inflamations to initiate malformed cells.. and yet acne returned.

alternativista, i appreciate your knowledge and good intentions, but you'd be on a way more solid grown if you were on a heart disease or weight-problems forum, than on an acne forum. (wich will bring you many uneasy times. nothing personal, just hormonal lol )

#50 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

..aaand you're not:

I am not wrong. 

1) Wikipedia is not an authority.

2) they are talking only about inflamed vs non-inflamed forms of acne.  Chronic silent inflammation, however, is invisible and has been found to initiate the formation of malformed cells that do not exfoliate properly without clogging pores.  Acne is defined as an inflammatory skin disease.  This type of inflammation is also the root cause of most other disease running rampant these days like diabetes & cardiovascular disease. 

Also, overproduction of sebum is not a necessary condition for acne. There are many people with dry skin and acne.  And oily, but clear skinned people.  The issue is the composition of that sebum.

amen!

again i'd like to quote my first post ever on this forum, since it's my most mature one lol:

"there are 2 sides of acne:

1 whiteheads (or/blackheads - not in my case anymore) - this is what i call acne

2 inflamated (red/deep/bumps/cysts i thing u call them) - this is a more general state of health or imune sistem state, which depends on diet&lifestyle, this surrounds acne but i don't call it actual acne"

>> 

..aaand you're not:

oh wait, you're double wrong because when i was under antibiotics > 1,5 years of acne-free skin, the were no inflamations to initiate malformed cells.. and yet acne returned.

alternativista, i appreciate your knowledge and good intentions, but you'd be on a way more solid grown if you were on a heart disease or weight-problems forum, than on an acne forum. (wich will bring you many uneasy times. nothing personal, just hormonal lol )

????????   Not a word of that made any sense.     But, I'm glad that you appreciate my knowledge. And I'm on solid ground here.

also, I would lump ordinary inflamed comedones in with black & whiteheads. Nodules & cysts are another matter, imo.  And I believe, from my experience and from stories I've noted here from many other people over many years, that nodules and cysts are a food intolerance.

Edited by alternativista, 08 January 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#51 RobustMist

RobustMist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/6453848/

No. Accutane is as a synthetically produced chemotherapeutic retinoid, it is not just high dose vitamin A. Neither does a diet rich in vitamin a cure acne.
Okay I'm not sure if you're serious. First, where are your sources? That's right you're just making things up.

Look at the chemical structure of vitamin A:
http://www.ganfyd.or...e:Vitamin_A.png

Now here's accutane's chemical structure:
image.png

Are you really trying to tell me that these chemicals aren't similar?

#52 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/6453848/

Okay I'm not sure if you're serious. First, where are your sources? That's right you're just making things up.
Look at the chemical structure of vitamin A:http://www.ganfyd.or...e:Vitamin_A.png
Now here's accutane's chemical structure:image.png
Are you really trying to tell me that these chemicals aren't similar?

Ok you know it doesn't take much difference to make a completely difference substance. One molecule can be the difference between harmless or even beneficial. Look at oxygen, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.

#53 RobustMist

RobustMist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

@alternatevista.

Correct one molecule can make a difference.

But the general rule of thumb in my pharmacy class is that we predict the actions of the drug based on the molecular structure. And it works pretty damn well most of, but not all, the time.

So here are the similarities between accutane and vitamin A:

1. Similar molecular structure.
2. Nearly identical efficacy in treating cystic acne. (At their respective doses.)
3. Both share many of the same side effects such as: birth defects, dry skin, depression.

Do I even need to go on? At this point you are just being ignorant if you aren't seeing similarity between accutane and vitamin A.

Furthermore, one must ask themselves. If taking a certain amount of an essential vitamin shows a statistically significant reduction in the illness, wouldn't the cause be referred to as a deficiency?

Edit: fixed some grammar mistakes

Edited by RobustMist, 14 January 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#54 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:57 PM

@alternatevista.
But the general rule of thumb in my pharmacy class is that we predict the actions of the drug based on the molecular structure. And it works pretty damn well most of, but not all, the time.
2. Nearly identical efficacy in treating cystic acne. (At their respective doses.)
3. Both share many of the same side effects such as: birth defects, dry skin, depression.
Do I even need to go on? At this point you are just being ignorant if you aren't seeing similarity between accutane and vitamin A.
Furthermore, one must ask themselves. If taking a certain amount of an essential vitamin shows a statistically significant reduction in the illness, wouldn't the cause be referred to as a deficiency?

That vitamin and accutane are similar is fact and common knowledge. Not your discovery. And I've no idea why you feel the need to argue that point.

Edited by alternativista, 14 January 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#55 youknow1

youknow1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Gym

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

Hey man, diet is the cure of acne. Just eat 1 carrot, 1 apple and drink water and you are 100% clear for life, 100% guaranteed bro!

#56 DanTheNewWorld

DanTheNewWorld

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:53 AM

Hey man, diet is the cure of acne. Just eat 1 carrot, 1 apple and drink water and you are 100% clear for life, 100% guaranteed bro!

no, you got it all wrong, don't be foolish to think that!

the apple has way to much sugar so it's poison, carrots can also be sweet, and water is probably contaminated! this way you'll have acne even in ur coffin.

lol, indeed, people going crazy like this is the sole product of these primitive *diet fantasies*. unless one completes the theory all the way thru, they shouldn't present it like it's a solution.

#57 Happybee68

Happybee68

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I personally think you a very wrong and very uneducated. Although genetics obviously do have play in everything about you, I would never solely blame acne on genetics.

I myself suffered from very bad acne for years (neither of my parents did - ever)

I tired every acne medication there is. I started tracking my diet. I found out bananas were causing my acne. I cut them out and within a week my acne was going away, and no further breakouts were happening.

If I was to go to my kitchen and eat a banana right now, tomorrow morning I would wake up with a bad break out. I know this because I have tried to introduce bananas back into my diet because I love them.

#58 chrisaus

chrisaus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

youknow you are a knowledge noob and this makes you look like a pathetic fool but don't worry you can correct this by reading and catching up with everyone. 

#59 RobustMist

RobustMist

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

@alternatevista.

That vitamin and accutane are similar is fact and common knowledge. Not your discovery. And I've no idea why you feel the need to argue that point.

You were the one who began arguing that they weren't. What on earth are you smoking?

#60 CelloIsLove

CelloIsLove

Pedo-stache <3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

This section of the forums is really good comedy, but that's just it, nothing else. You have one major flaw in your diet curing acne theory:

You think that every human being has perfect genetics and wrong diet just causes all the problems, acne etc. Listen, diet has no effect in your skin, it's all genetics, some people has just bad cards to play with, that's it. Don't blame food for your shitty genetics! Life is ruthless, deal with it.

How your genes express themselves is directly caused by your diet and lifestyle. You can't eat crap and expect to have flawless skin and perfect health. Our genes are not so horribly flawed. Please do some basic biologic research before posting such uninformed "info".

@alternatevista.

You were the one who began arguing that they weren't. What on earth are you smoking?

Those similarites only hold true for synthetic vitamin A, not the kind found naturally, such as in liver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users