Photo

Tazorac + Doxy Log

tazorac doxycycline retinoids retin a micro comedone closed comedones comedonal acne blackheads antibiotics whiteheads

41 replies to this topic

#41 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

So, I saw my derm today (actually, her assistant, but whatever - I don't like her that much so it doesn't really matter) and told her about my comedone problem. She wasn't super helpful - she said that Tazorac was good for comedones and tried to sell me these salicylic/glycolic pad/wipe things but I told her I was already using a salicylic/glycolic treatment. She said the next step for my comedones would be to get a facial at her office called "Dermasweep." I guess it's a brush/vacuum combination and basically sucks all the gunk of of your pores. It's not covered by insurance and $125 per session, and you need about 6 sessions to really see results. I don't think I'll be doing this - (1) it's super expensive, it would be like $800 for the full thing and (2) I don't know how effective it actually is. So yeah.

She also did some extractions - got a few comedones out. Other ones I think she tried to get out but they didn't move, so she left in, but now are becoming inflamed pimples. Ugh. Will be having to deal with chin breakouts for the next few days but oh well.

I think I'm just going to wait out the winter, hopefully my comedones improve. I'll see the derm again in March when I'm on break.

#42 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:03 PM

Today I saw my regular derm and told her that I was annoyed by the closed comedones and blackheads that continue to plague me, mostly on the chin area. She said that they were hormonal and that there wasn't really anything else I could do about them, provided I'm already on a strong retinoid and using salicylic and glycolic acid to exfoliate. This was kind of disappointing to hear - even my derm says there's nothing left I can do. Now, my acne isn't horrible - most days my skin looks pretty much completely clear, but I'll get a zit or three every couple of weeks or so as a comedone inflames. At my age (almost 20), it's annoying and embarrassing to be breaking out anymore. I really want my skin to just be clear once and for all. I know, I know that this is not nearly as bad as some people have it - I can't believe I'm complaining about a few pimples - but they still reduce my confidence. 

The only other thing I can think to do is increase my Tazorac dosage to the strongest cream, but I really don't want to do this - my skin is already very dry and sensitive from the lower %. I'd rather have acne than horrible red, flaky, dry skin.

I'm also confused - my comedones completely cleared over last summer - why have they come back? Maybe because it's winter, but I don't want to have to deal with more comedones every winter for the rest of my life. Ugh.

SO I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I saw on Reddit that a lot of people were saying that the MUAC mandelic acid peel (25%) has helped with closed comedones, more so than glycolic/salicylic acids have. I ordered this, as well as the MUAC argan oil - I hope this will be a better moisturizer for my dryer days. I'm hoping the peel will clear some comedones. A lot of reviews said that they got rid of them! If this works, I think I may order the mandelic acid serum (10%) to use on a daily or every-other-day basis. However, I want to start by using the peel once a week and just keeping the rest of my skincare the same before I start also using the serum.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Side Note/Clarification: The number of clogged pores and comedones I have is significantly less than before I started Tazorac/this log. Probably about a third of the original number. So I do know that my routine is working, in my opinion though, it's not working well enough because I still have a good amount of clogged pores. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users