Photo

Tazorac + Doxy Log

tazorac doxycycline retinoids retin a micro comedone closed comedones comedonal acne blackheads antibiotics whiteheads

38 replies to this topic

#21 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

Week 3, Day 6

Again, nothing new. Hyperpigmentation continues to slowly fade. I'm lucky - I'm super pale so my zits look really red and obvious, but hyperpigmentation doesn't stick around for a really long time.

#22 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

Week 4, Day 1

Can't believe Im already on week 4! Nothing new with my skin. Still a bunch of clogged pores that need to come out, but none of them are inflaming.

Edited by katie789, 25 January 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#23 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

Feeling blessed and thankful daily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

How are things going for you so far?  I am day 31 on Spiro 50 mg and day 5 on doxy 200 mg to keep the inflammation of the closed comedones and any flare ups down.  So far the doxy really helped with that. I also switched to Yasmin this month so that is about another 25 mg of Spiro, started that about 9 days ago.  Right now I am in a clearing stage of all the clogged pores that had been just sitting there and dormant.  They are kind of all happening at once so it's definitely not fun.  I'm really pulling for the next few weeks to be weeks of clearing and healing of all this old stuff. 

Hope you are having a good week!!

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

DDF Glycolic toner (LOVE this!!)

Spot treat with Tea Tree Oil

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

Dairy, Gluten, Sugar and Caffeine free.  Boring I know ;)

#24 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Week 4, Day 4

Clogged pore is becoming inflamed on my forehead. I'm worried because I see a bunch more clogged pores on my forehead/in between my eyes, but they might just be what the Taz is bringing to the surface.

How are things going for you so far?  I am day 31 on Spiro 50 mg and day 5 on doxy 200 mg to keep the inflammation of the closed comedones and any flare ups down.  So far the doxy really helped with that. I also switched to Yasmin this month so that is about another 25 mg of Spiro, started that about 9 days ago.  Right now I am in a clearing stage of all the clogged pores that had been just sitting there and dormant.  They are kind of all happening at once so it's definitely not fun.  I'm really pulling for the next few weeks to be weeks of clearing and healing of all this old stuff. 

Hope you are having a good week!!

Thanks for your reply!! I'm glad the Doxy is working for you. I felt like it didn't do much for me - my comedones seemed just as inflamed as before - so I stopped taking it. But everyone's bodies work differently :) If the Taz and birth control combo don't work for me, I might try Spiro.

Good luck during your clearing stage!! It sucks, but I know it will be worth it in the end. I went through a period of time when my chin looked AWFUL, but there's so many fewer clogged pores there now, so I'm happy about it. Another thing that might help you is doing mud masks to bring everything to the surface and help things along. I also went to my derm and got a couple of cortisone injections on really nasty zits, so this may help too.

Please let me know how you skin is doing over the next few weeks!!

#25 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

Week 5, Day 1

I've been breaking out pretty badly in the past couple of days. One clogged pore between my eyes inflamed, one near my eyebrow, and 2 on my chin. It's good that they're coming out, but it's also annoying.

I'm also breaking out in place I don't usually - I have a zit on my neck and another near my ear. I'm thinking that it's either due to stress - I'm a lot more stressed now with schoolwork and everything - or my hormones adjusting to the birth control (I'm in the middle of my second week).

#26 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't updated (if anyone is even reading this) :)

Well, it's the end of May now, and I have seen a huge improvement over the past couple of months. The amount of comedones has drastically decreased. I currently have 2 between my eyes, none on my upper lip, and only 8 or so on my chin. Compared to what it was like before - this is fantastic. I'm just hoping that another round of comedones doesn't pop up now and ruin my good streak (fingers crossed). I really think the Tazorac has helped tremendously. Also, possibly the birth control - it is difficult to tell which one, as I started them around the same time. (My routine is the same as before, except I stopped using the Finacea (only Aczone).)

I have a new problem now - my skin it becoming very irritated and sensitive from the Tazorac and BHA/AHA combo. It is dry, red, flaky, and generally irritated and unhappy. Both are very harsh products - acids and a strong retinoid. I don't understand why this is happening after this many months, though. Oh well. Either way, I need to change something in my routine. I'd rather have a couple more clogged pores than dry, flaky, red, irritated skin. However, I don't really want to take either products of my routine, as both really help my skin. I'd rather add hydrating ones and see if that helps first.

I ordered Paula's Choice hydrating treatment mask, as well as her Recovery toner. I plan to use the toner after washing my face to hydrate and help heal my skin, and the treatment mask as a night moisturizer - not sure how often - over the Tazorac. I'm hoping neither of these clog my pores - the toner has silicone in it, which I'm worried about. Has anyone had experience with using silicones?

I think another factor in my irritation would be that a month or so ago, I started exfoliating with a washcloth once a day. Gently, but I still think it may have been too harsh for my skin. However, since stopping this, my face does not feel as good and smooth as when I did exfoliate. Does anyone know any extremely gentle method of manual exfoliation? I read up on the baby brush method, but am worried that it may still be too harsh. Thanks! :)

#27 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

So my PC stuff arrived - the toner and the mask! This is my third night using both of them, and I absolutely love them so far. My skin is hydrated, smooth, and glowing again. I noticed a difference after only 1 day.

My only worry is that this stuff will clog my pores, but I'm hoping it will not. My worry is the silicone, but I realized that I have used many other products with silicone, such as my Cera Ve moisturizer, that have not harmed my skin. The mask and toner also have some plant oils, but they don't seem to be comedogenic, and I have used olive oil before, which is comedogenic, and it hasn't even clogged my skin.

My new routine:

AM

Cera Ve Hydrating Wash

PC Skin Recovery Enriched Calming Toner

PC AHA and BHA gels, mixed

Cera Ve lotion

Aczone

PM

Cera Ve wash

PC toner

Tazorac 0.05%

Cera Ve lotion

PC Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask

Very happy with this routine, hoping that all goes well with the new products!!

A comedone on my chin erupted yesterday - it's kind of weird because it has no head but is not a cystic pimple, idk. I've had one like this before and tried to pop it with a needle, but I don't think it worked. I'm forcing myself to wait until a head is visible to touch it, I don't want to cause damage/more hyperpigmentation. I might put some sulfur mud mask on it tonight to dry it out (Queen Helene's).

#28 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Been loving my PC mask and toner, my skin is no longer awful and dry. So far it hasn't broken me out, so that's good. I think Cera Ve Hydrating cleanser breaks me out a bit, to be honest. I've been getting tiny pimples on my forehead and worse nose blackheads, I think from the cleanser because I've noticed this before. I'm going back to using the Cera Ve foaming cleanser, which is more drying but still gentle and see if that improves.

I have a few comedones on my chin (about 8), and I'm hoping more don't pop up. I can deal with a few that will turn into zits, just not when my whole chin was covered in them and I was constantly breaking out.

I used the Aztec mask last night, used my toner, aloe vera gel, and PC mask before bed. Woke up to soft, glowing skin this morning. Every time I used Aztec I think the next day, "Oh, I should use this more often." Only problem is it's pretty harsh and drying w/ the vinegar, plus I don't use my Tazorac afterwards at night to avoid irritation. I hate to skip Tazorac more than 1 or 2 days a week.

#29 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

The aztec mask is actually magic - a huge comedone on the side of my nose that has been there for a year or more became inflamed yesterday, I think due to the mask. The small pimples on my forehead from the hydrating cleanser are gone, also due to the mask. I think I'm only going to use this cleanser when my face is severely dry and cannot tolerate anything harsher, but not use it for extended periods of time because it does clog my pores to some extent - or it just does not get rid of everything from my face when it cleanses. I've noticed it does a super crappy job with makeup - I don't wear makeup every day, but if I put concealer on a bad zit or something, it is unable to remove it, unlike most cleansers. It may not be able to remove my face grime and oil, either.

Face status: Very good, 8 comedones on chin, 1 inflamed comedone on nose, 1 comedone between eyes, none noticeable on forehead or upper lip

This number is greatly reduced from when I had like 40 on my chin and 20 between my eyes. Ugh. I'm hoping that they don't reappear - they haven't come back for about 2 months, there have only been a few that popped up (ones I have now). Fingers crossed.

I'm traveling at the end of next week, so I'm a little stressed about my skincare while on vacation - I won't have my large array of cleansers, masks, lotions, etc. I'm thinking of packing everything I use in my everyday routine and then adding small travel sizes of masks or something. I would love to bring the Aztec mask, but it's messy and I don't think I'll have room for it. I'm going to try doing 2 more Aztec masks before leaving, and hope that will suffice for the 2 weeks I'm away. I'm thinking of taking some Queen Helene in a small travel bottle and using it once or twice while I'm there - not as good as Aztec, but still a nice clay mask.

I'm also planning to use my PC mask after the horribly dry flight for 9 hrs. 

#30 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

The comedone on the side of my nose turned into this massive, painful pimple. Ugh. It kind of came to a head today (I can see the pus underneath the skin), so I thought I would pop it and expel the sebum plug that caused the pimple, but it's way to painful to pop. I'm going to wait a couple more days and then try again.

A comedone on the side of my chin inflamed, along with another on my chin. I successfully gently popped them. Only 6 comedones on my chin left! Hopefully no more develop.

Feeling good, aside from the huge, painful zit. It also sucks because it's hard to cover up - when I blow my nose, the concealer comes off.

#31 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

Couldn't take it anymore - the zit honestly looks like a third head. I iced it to bring down the swelling and numb it before popping it. I then pricked the top where I could see the pus with a needle. I wrapped my fingers in tissues and gently pressed down on either side. A lot of yellow pus and liquid came out. I got down to the sebum plug and pressed harder to get it out, but it would't pop out. I didn't want to force it, so I just gave up, will try again tomorrow. I don't want to be too rough and cause scarring or anything. However, I do think I relieved some of the pressure and fluid.

#32 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

The monster zit is absolutely awful. I tried popping it a couple more times - nothing. Some liquidy pus always comes out, but the sebum plug refuses to emerge. The zit is massive and reddish-purple. I feel so gross about it. Last night, I dissolved epsom salts in boiling water, let it cool a little, and dipped a cotton ball in it and put it on the zit for about 10 mins, hoping to draw the infection out. I then mixed some epsom salt water with the Aztec healing clay and put it on the pimple overnight. I think it did shrink it a bit, so I guess it helped, but now the zit has this dry crust over it. And it still oozing out pus through the crust. I think I'm going to slather it tonight in the PC hydrating mask to hydrate it and help it heal - I don't think drying out this zit further will help, I need to moisturize and wait for the sebum plug to be able to be extracted. I'm traveling on Thursday to Europe to see family, so I REALLY want this gone before then, or I know it's going to kill my confidence seeing relatives I haven't seen in 8 years. I also hate going to work with this on my face. I seriously think that this is one of the worst zits I've ever had - the absolute worst being a huge cyst on my chin that was the size of a quarter. I had that one injected with cortisone. I'm not going to do that with this one, although it might help - it's not cystic, so I know it will go away as soon as I'm able to extract the "root" of it.

#33 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

FINALLY victory! Just popped the zit, a TON of hardened sebum came out at the end, plus a lot of blood. Yep - definitely the worst non-cystic zit I've ever had. I want it to heal really fast, so I'm thinking of applying olive oil at night and throughout the day with a Q-tip to help it heal. I used this once before and it really sped up the healing time and helped with hyperpigmentation (PIH). I'm so happy I finally got it out, though. Unfortunately, I think the trick with most zits/acne is to just give it time. I can tell that the PIH is going to be rough, though, because it was so big/deep and lasted for like a week. But it's okay - it's in the crease of my right nostril, so it's kind of out of sight, even if there is PIH, it won't be super visible.

A comedone on my chin became inflamed this morning, gently pricked it and pushed out the gunk - it's healing nicely now. Could possibly use the olive oil on it too. Currently have 4 comedones on my chin!!! Amazing. I really hope my chin doesn't suddenly explode with a bunch of them.

I've been really frustrated with the blackheads on my nose lately. A couple months ago, I was using a washcloth and rubbing my face with it (probably not so gently) to exfoliate, but my face started to understandably get irritated from it, so I stopped. However, the rubbing did help to "rub out" some of the gunk in my nose pores, and now I feel like my blackheads are worse than ever. Oh well. I might start GENTLY using a washcloth only on my nose once the zit heals.

#34 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Giant nose pimple seems to be healing well. I think the olive oil helps. I put on AHA gel + olive oil this morning to hopefully stop some hyperpigmentation. Other than that, my face is pretty good. I have 4-5 comedones on my chin, one between my eyes, and one in the crease of my nose. Also blackheads on nose, but whatever. This is so great - I really hope my face stays mostly comedone-free like this.

ALSO - I started using the Earth Therapeutics Complexion Brush from Ulta. I really wanted a gentle way to exfoliate my skin. I believe that most scrubs are way too harsh, and so was using a washcloth like I did before. I was initially not very impressed - the brush is EXTREMELY soft and gentle, but I just wet my face and the brush and went around in circular motions. I didn't think it really did much. However, I started adding my Cera Ve foaming face wash to the brush, and I LOVE it now! Somehow adding the cleanser makes the brush work better and really helps with exfoliation. The brush is SO gentle but my skin is smooth afterwards. I really like it. It also comes with a nice cap for traveling. Plus, it was only $6 at Ulta, which is a bargain in my opinion.

#35 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Back from my trip! 4 comedones inflamed during my trip - the one between my eyes and 3 on my chin. I now only have 1 comedone left of my chin and none between my eyes. The couple of comedones on the side of my nose inflamed, but in a cystic pimple, so I haven't tried to pop it or anything. It's gone down a lot in the past couple of weeks, barely noticeable, but I still want to get the clogs out. I think I might see some more comedones forming on my chin - not sure if this is me being paranoid or actually happening. I really hope not. I haven't done my Aztec mask in 3 weeks, so my skin feels kind of blackheady and gross.

#36 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Popped the cystic clogs on the side of my nose - they weren't actually cystic anymore, just two clogs that came out easily. so my skin is pretty much clear of old comedones, (the last one on the side of my chin came out as well) but I kind of see more comedones coming up - some on the side of my chin. I've also had more blackheads on my forehead, between my eyes, etc. I'm not sure if I'm just being super paranoid and looking at every little thing closely now that I'm close to being clear, but idk, I think I see more stuff surfacing. It's been a little over a month since I started using the PC toner, so I think it might have something to do with that - the face that I'm putting a layer of plant oils/silicones in between the pore-clog-fighting ingredients (Taz and acids) which makes them a little less effective. Even deems have told me to put the Taz on clean skin b/c it would be most effective then. I don't think the PC stuff has been clogging my skin, really, just not allowing the others stuff to be as effective in unclogging, if that makes sense. So a week or so ago I stopped using both the toner and the mask and started putting the Taz and acids directly on my skin, obviously causing a lot of dryness. So to compensate I started using a heavier moisturizer OVER the Taz at night - the Cetaphil cream, which I have heard many good things about. So far, I love it, and I love this regimen. 

Night: Taz and Cetaphil cream

Day: PC AHA and BHA, Cera ve lotion, and Aczone

The Cetaphil is amazing, I hope it doesn't start clogging my pores or something. My skin isn't too dry with this.

#37 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I think putting tazorac directly on my skin without toner is really helping! A small blackhead between my eyebrows surfaced, and I can see other tiny blackheads going away. I'm annoyed that it was almost completely clear before i ruined it with the toner - I feel like I set my progress back a couple of months. Oh well. It's definitely not that bad - only about 8 or so comedones on my chin, which is so much better than it was originally. I'm sure the tazorac will bring them up in the next couple of months and I'll be clear again. I'm hoping not many more pop up.

#38 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

I definitely think going bak to taz directly on my skin had helped. About a week after starting, I broke out in 3 cystic pimples, which almost never happens. And 3 at once!! 2 of them have gone away (on my chin) leaving behind a couple closed comedones - proof that the taz brought up comedones and is purging my skin (I think). One is still between my eyes. Same status as last time - new comedones on my chin, about 8-10, I see possibly some emerging on the left side, but not sure. The blackheads on my nose have gotten better since skipping the toner, also good news! I'm really hoping that the toner simply clogged my skin and not that I'm getting more comedones after so close to being clear!!

I also think that my skin felt "blackheady" during my travels was due to starting the toner a couple of weeks before, not due to skipping my mud mask (possible proof).

#39 katie789

katie789

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Ugh, my comedones have returned. I have about 15ish on my chin right now and one between my eyes. Super frustrating. I'm not sure what's causing it - I'm hoping it's just clogs my toner from before caused that are now surfacing. It could also be my switch in birth control - I'm on a higher dose of estrogen now. The last thing I can think of is that I started using Cetaphil cream. I'm going to wait it out, I'm thinking it's probably due to my hormone switch or the toner, I'm hoping they'll inflame and no new ones will follow. We'll see!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users