61 posts in this topic

Day 7: finished with week 1!
A closed comedones on my chin erupted today and I popped it gently. I'm having weird dryness issues - my skin where I'm apply the topicals is not super dry, but the skin around my eyes has been red and flaking! As well as my lips. I'm not sure why. I guess the topicals are dying my whole face out, and everything suffers, even if the topicals aren't been applied directly on. I've been using Nivea creme to combat the dry patches around my eyes and a lot of burts bees lip balm.
ALSO I've realized that I never really brought up my diet. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and recently went vegan a couple of months ago - for ethical reasons, not for my acne. But I was hoping my acne would get better as a result. I do not think going vegan has made it improve any, maybe it takes more time than a couple of months to see results. Also, I've been really bad at staying completely vegan over the past month with Christmas and eating nonvegan desserts and stuff, so maybe it's not a fair indication of how my skin will actually change. Of course, now that I've changed my topical regimen, I won't really be able to tell if my vegan diet is working or if it's the topicals.

Week 2 Day 1:
Another 2 comedones on my chin inflamed today. I really think the topicals are bringing everything up to the surface. I've began gently exfoliating with a washcloth to get rid of some dry flakes. 

Week 2 Day 4:
2 comedones around my nose have inflamed. My skin is still super dry and flaky.

Week 3 Day 2:
A couple more closed comedones on my chin have inflamed and I pushed them out. Right now, I have a lot of hyper pigmentation on my chin as well as many more comedones that need to surface. I have one more around my nose and one between my eyes. So that's good. I feel like my initial breakout has hit a lull, but maybe more is to come. My skin is still really dry.

Week 3 Day 5:
A comedone in between my eyes inflamed as well as another 2 on my chin. Still so many more to go! Everywhere else is pretty clear except for my chin.

Week 3 Day 6:
One more comedone on my chin became inflamed! Everything is slowly being pushed out.

Week 5, Day 1:
Another 3 or so comedones/blackheads on my chin have pushed themselves out, so that's good, as well as a couple clogged pores between my eyes. The Tazorac/Finacea routine is bringing up new clogs then inflaming them so they can be extracted. I think the bad initial breakout is over, and now everything is just more slowly coming out.

Week 8, Day 4.

It's been a while. I broke out super badly a couple of weeks ago - 3 comedones that turned into cystic pimples on my chin. I rarely get cystic acne, and think it happened because I ate cheese the day before. The cysts have healed and right now, comedones are just popping up and purging as inflamed pimples every so often. I extract something almost every day. Everywhere is pretty clear except for my chin, that's always the problem area. However, I definitely see an improvement. The problem I have is hyperpigmentation from all the breakouts, but that usually fades pretty quickly for me, especially if I use AHA gel. Slowly but surely getting clear!

Almost done with Week 9.
But I still see a bunch of closed comedones on my chin - no clogged pores anywhere else, really. Between my eyes is clear, as in the creases of my nose and on my upper lip. My forehead has a few tiny blackheads, as does my nose, but those are always there. 3 more weeks until I begin to see actual results, but I still feel like my chin is so clogged. I guess from before it's definitely improved, but still, I'm impatient.

End of Week 10!

I'm almost to the 12 week mark. My skin continues to improve! My chin is clearing up nicely, I only have about 10 comedones left. In the past couple of days, 4 surfaced and I extracted them. I'm looking forward to my chin getting even more clear! I think it may take more than 12 weeks - last time I went on 0.05% Taz, it took about 6 months for everything to clear instead of 3. I think 3 months is when stuff starts looking pretty good, but then it takes more time to totally clear. So I'm hoping by June my face will look good.
I went to my derm today - she said that my skin looks good and that it should continue to improve! She says the hyperpigmentation left behind by my clogged pores breaking out should fade with time, and that she can always do glycolic peels to speed things up. Hyperpigmentation fades pretty quickly for me, so I'm not too worried. I didn't have extractions done - I find that my skin heals better if I just let the clogs surface on their own, rather than trying to force them out.

Also, I bought my derm's line of sunscreen - I'm hoping this is good for the sunny spring and summer days. I'm always concerned that something is going to break me out from the drugstore.

Edited by katie789

End of Week 13:
Wow, I'm past the 12 week mark. My skin is doing great. I have about 5 comedones left on my chin - which is crazy - because I started with so many. It's nice to be able to count the ones that are left. I'm really hoping new ones don't pop up. So far, it looks pretty good.
I've been super lazy about using Fiancee and my AHA and BHA gels. I use each of them maybe twice a week. I mostly just use moisturizer in the morning and that's it. I'm using Tazorac every night, though.
However, I'm looking to change my routine. I was sick with the flu the other week, and was just washing my face once a day, and I noticed that my skin looked so much better - glowing and even - instead of red, irritated and flaky. I think I may be over washing. So, my plan is to use one of those AHA/BHA pads in the morning to wipe off my face but not actually wash it with water. I've been using the Stridex Maximum Strength 2% BHA pads, which I like and are alcohol free, but I'd also like to use on with an AHA as well. I thought about getting the Peter Thomas Roth ones, but they're so expensive, so I'm not sure. Also, they have alcohol in them. This way I can use the Fiancee over the AHA and BHA and not have to alternate days.