Photo

Going To An Organic Grocery Store Tomorrow. What Should I Get For My Skin?

7 replies to this topic

#1 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

So, there's this really awesome, locally-owned organic grocery store in my area. I'm going there early tomorrow morning and wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for anything I should get that could potentially be helpful for my skin.

BRIEF SKIN HISTORY: I have very sensitive combination skin (both oily and dry) with hyper-pigmentation and worst of all cystic acne. I've used many spot-treatment products in the past, and while these products always dry out a blemish, superficially, they do nothing to reduce inflammation. I want to try and prevent cystic acne in the first place by eating better, taking useful supplements, getting proper sleep, etc., but when blemishes do form I also want to know how to effectively treat them. 

PAST SUPPLEMENTS: Overall, supplements haven't really done anything for me. Having said that, I'm still interested in finding those ones that actually do help. Here is a brief list of the most recent supplements I currently take:

• Zinc - Seems to have generally helped my immune system. I haven't had a cold in over a year now.
  • Boron - Take a look at this site (http://www.acneresea...org/our-system/). They recommend taking Boron with Vitamin B and D with Zinc, but I haven't really seen any difference in my skin as a result. Still interesting stuff.
  • Vitamin D - My levels were on the low side, started supplementing for months, levels returned to normal, but no change in acne. I still take 2,000 IU daily.
  • ALA - It's hard to say whether this or the colder winter air has made my skin less oily.
  • Fish Oil - Started taking for dry eyes, but also for dry skin too I guess.
  • Silica - Can't say that I've seen any change in my skin as a result of taking this for almost two months now.
  • Vitamin B Complex - I've taken many variations of Vitamin B (including just B5, a B complex, pan. acid, etc.) but I've never really noticed any difference in my skin. Also, if I'm not mistaken aren't there particular risks/disadvantages with taking Vitamin B regularly (e.g. hair loss, skin flushing, etc.)?

THINGS I'M INTERESTED IN GETTING TOMORROW: Feel free to provide thoughts and recommendations.

CURRENT DIET: In 2014, I am going to try to eat as clean as possible. I am also experimenting with specific diet eliminations to see how it affects my skin. Here's what I'm currently doing:

• Gluten-Free (for 2 weeks) - I'm getting a food allergy test in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I'm trying to cut gluten out of my diet to see if it helps with my skin.
  • Dairy-Free - Haven't had milk in over a year, but now I want to eliminate yogurt and cheeses. I still have cheese if it's prepared in a meal, but avoid cheese sticks, slices of cheese, and so forth.
  • Coffee-Free - Another common and suspected irritant that I have currently eliminated. Apparently, there is also a coffee alternative made with dandelions.
  • Avoiding Processed Sugars and White Flour - Giving preference to honey and rice flour instead. From my understanding this is also an element of Anti-Canidad diets. Can anyone comment on this? Has anyone seen the film The Beautiful Truth, gone vegetarian, started juicing regularly? Juicing is also something I really want to get more serious about in 2014. I plan on investing in a quality juicer in the coming weeks.

That's about it, more or less. I'll add to this list as I think of more things. In the meantime, I highly recommend checking out this site (http://www.acneresea...org/our-system/) as it recommends, and provides research for, many of the lifestyle and diet changes that acne sufferers should be making. Thanks!

Edited by John457, 03 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

Current Skincare Regimen

MORNING

Green Tea Cleanser from Dermatologist

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion

Murad Acne Treatment Concealer (Light) 

NIGHT

Green Tea Cleanser from Dermatologist

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion

OTHER

Monthly Chemical Peels (Salicylic and Glycolic Based)

Current Supplements: Zinc, Vitamin D3.

Past Efforts: Topical Treatments (BP, Evoclin, Differin, Duac, Ziana, Epiduo, etc.); Antibiotics (Doxycycline, Bactrim, Solodyn); Other Treatments (IsoLaz, Chemical Peels, Supplementation, Elimination Diets, etc.)

#2 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Probiotics and any kind of oil supplement break me out so I can't really recommend those. I also don't think supplementing with calcium and magnesium is necessary. You can get all the calcium and magnesium you need through your diet. One supplement I do recommend (works great for me) is vitamin C.

I think your diet changes look good, but I'd probably also avoid honey.

#3 metalhead6651

metalhead6651

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Dieting is the only thing that helped clear up my skin, i am very strict and never break it. all i eat are apples, oranges, salads, egg whites, turkey and chicken breasts, hashbrowns and nothing but water. Im sure all fruits and vegetables are fine but beyond the foods above im not 100 percent sure. best of luck, hope things get better for you =)

#4 metalhead6651

metalhead6651

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

and i am certain juicing will only hurt, if you are truely serious then water only, otherwise youre taking a chance

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Kale, cabbage & the like. Pomegranates if they still have them. Stock up before they disappear. The seeds freeze well.

Coconut oil. A quality (fresh, dark bottle) safflower oil for topical use.

If they have bulk whole grain, beans, etc, get raw buckwheat, dried coconut. Lima, lentil, garbanzo, pinto beans, etc. oats. Unrefined sea salt ( should not be white)

Wings/feet from pastured chickens/turkey for nutrient rich bone broths. Muse a slow cooker.

Edited by alternativista, 04 January 2014 - 09:02 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 metalhead6651

metalhead6651

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

haha alright look man, vegetables and fruits "might work" for the most part i dont do a whole lot of venturing cuz im scared for my skin.... but my diet consists of apples, oranges, carrots salads W/ balsamic vinnegerette!!! egg whites, turkey and chicken breasts, fruits and veggies should be fine, and nothing but water!!!! it helped me, but i still broke out because i fucked up with some pizza long ago and it cost me my life thats why im trying to help people like you :/ and now im fuckin suicidal and shit so i mean no matter what anyone else says to you... i personally think its from the diet and horomones... you go to a dermetologist and they talk about how your skin can get dirty and shit... then why is it only happening to teens, adults skin doesnt get dirty? look when it comes to skin health from a "victim" im not gonna reccomend anything. alll products claim to work, some do, some dont, but your skin is unique... if your skin is in the "acne stage" then there is still time and recovery so just be thankful for your skin (within 3 months of your acne) but for me its been like 6-8 months since i have gotten treatment for my acne scar, and they dont know the the fuck to do.. so be happy if anything for me beacusese im outa hope and wishing the best for you

#7 brandylad

brandylad

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

i have just this week stopped taking probiotics.. i have been on them for over 4 months and my skin has never been worse... i constantly told myself that this is just toxins leaving my system but 4 months is beyond a joke, obviously not agreeing with my body. My acne was moderate before i started the probiotics, borderline cystic with probiotics

#8 IDK111

IDK111

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

So, there's this really awesome, locally-owned organic grocery store in my area. I'm going there early tomorrow morning and wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for anything I should get that could potentially be helpful for my skin.

BRIEF SKIN HISTORY: I have very sensitive combination skin (both oily and dry) with hyper-pigmentation and worst of all cystic acne. I've used many spot-treatment products in the past, and while these products always dry out a blemish, superficially, they do nothing to reduce inflammation. I want to try and prevent cystic acne in the first place by eating better, taking useful supplements, getting proper sleep, etc., but when blemishes do form I also want to know how to effectively treat them. 

PAST SUPPLEMENTS: Overall, supplements haven't really done anything for me. Having said that, I'm still interested in finding those ones that actually do help. Here is a brief list of the most recent supplements I currently take:

• Zinc - Seems to have generally helped my immune system. I haven't had a cold in over a year now.
  • Boron - Take a look at this site (http://www.acneresea...org/our-system/). They recommend taking Boron with Vitamin B and D with Zinc, but I haven't really seen any difference in my skin as a result. Still interesting stuff.
  • Vitamin D - My levels were on the low side, started supplementing for months, levels returned to normal, but no change in acne. I still take 2,000 IU daily.
  • ALA - It's hard to say whether this or the colder winter air has made my skin less oily.
  • Fish Oil - Started taking for dry eyes, but also for dry skin too I guess.
  • Silica - Can't say that I've seen any change in my skin as a result of taking this for almost two months now.
  • Vitamin B Complex - I've taken many variations of Vitamin B (including just B5, a B complex, pan. acid, etc.) but I've never really noticed any difference in my skin. Also, if I'm not mistaken aren't there particular risks/disadvantages with taking Vitamin B regularly (e.g. hair loss, skin flushing, etc.)?

THINGS I'M INTERESTED IN GETTING TOMORROW: Feel free to provide thoughts and recommendations.

CURRENT DIET: In 2014, I am going to try to eat as clean as possible. I am also experimenting with specific diet eliminations to see how it affects my skin. Here's what I'm currently doing:

• Gluten-Free (for 2 weeks) - I'm getting a food allergy test in a couple of weeks, but in the meantime I'm trying to cut gluten out of my diet to see if it helps with my skin.
  • Dairy-Free - Haven't had milk in over a year, but now I want to eliminate yogurt and cheeses. I still have cheese if it's prepared in a meal, but avoid cheese sticks, slices of cheese, and so forth.
  • Coffee-Free - Another common and suspected irritant that I have currently eliminated. Apparently, there is also a coffee alternative made with dandelions.
  • Avoiding Processed Sugars and White Flour - Giving preference to honey and rice flour instead. From my understanding this is also an element of Anti-Canidad diets. Can anyone comment on this? Has anyone seen the film The Beautiful Truth, gone vegetarian, started juicing regularly? Juicing is also something I really want to get more serious about in 2014. I plan on investing in a quality juicer in the coming weeks.

That's about it, more or less. I'll add to this list as I think of more things. In the meantime, I highly recommend checking out this site (http://www.acneresea...org/our-system/) as it recommends, and provides research for, many of the lifestyle and diet changes that acne sufferers should be making. Thanks!

Hi,

I would first like to say it is important to look at what YOUR diet is lacking in.  I think the magnesium is a great idea since most people really are deficient in it.  I recommended calcium for those that avoid dairy like I did all the time, and I was on a medication that depleted my calcium levels. It is also important to take the right type of calcium, and the right amount (along with its cofactors like vitamin D, magnesium, and K2) or else you will have some problems.  I had all of the cofactors but never even thought about calcium. lol  I just assumed I was good because I kept reading how Americans are taking in a lot of calcium through diet.  We are the one country that consumes the most calcium (and other industrialized countries).  But I don't and never ate the standard american diet, and hate dairy.... so I guess I was the odd one.  

I do like your dietary changes.  But,.. quick things.  Most people have more problems with dairy than gluten.  Does celiac disease run in your family?  I think it's a good idea to do a test drive with gluten.  I personally do not have a problem with it.  But then again, I do not eat GMO wheat and such.  I base my diet on WHOLE foods... whole grains...  Like ezekiel bread, and brown rice pasta... smile.png   If I do get wheat, it is usually organic, or not a lot in the food.  When I went to Subway, for the longest time, I thought I was breaking out because of the gluten.  Nope.  Guess what it was? The herbs and CHEESE bread and the LETTUCE!!!  Their lettuce is... idk but something is wrong.  A lot of people with IBS had probs with their lettuce.  And when you think about it, their lettuce is not as green and fresh like ...chipotle for example. smile.png      I think cheese is the worst offender.  Most acne sufferers can get away with butter because the allergenic proteins and stuff is not in butter..  As for milk, please avoid at all costs.  Regular pasturized and homogenized milk is terrible for you.  Some even add titanium dioxide to make the milk extremely white.  It is GARBAGE.  If you do want to consume dairy, go to a local farmer and get RAW MILK.  A lot of people are fine with raw milk and raw mlk products.  The only trouble you might have is the hormones, if you are sensitive to the actual hormones in dairy and not the process of stripping its nutrients.   I avoid processed foods also, but I still eat white rice because I'm asian. I find when I eat white rice with vegetables ( like in a traditional asian diet), I am fine.  But if I eat it with junk, I am NOT FINE. lol 

Ermm.. the cod liver oil I mentioned is from the brand GREEN PASTURE (blue ice) - cod liver oil/butter oil blend.  You can not find this in stores.  Please do not use the cod liver oil in stores.  It is NOT the same, and it is not fermented.  Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

As for aloe vera, I would just buy the plant.  Seriously, that aloe vera crap in bottles is disgusting.. lol  Not very satisfying to be honest.  Trust me, the one from the plant is cost effective, natural, and feels really good!!!  Just buy a plant at like home depot or something. biggrin.png

For supplements, your best bet is to order online.  I order most of my stuff from amazon...  Why?  Because it is cheaper, and you can read REVIEWS... 

If you go to the organic store, please remember that just because it is a health food store does not mean your are in the clear.  For instance, almond milk...  Many contain nasty ingredients like carageenan.  But I go there to buy things like apples,....  yummy healthy snacks... almond butter...  really yummy peanut butter,.. natural jam... pastured eggs.... my healthy bread... shampoo....  healthy grass fed beef..   Just things that I can not find in a regular grocery store.  

The supplements I take:

-Calcium/Mag

-Iron (I'm a girl... and I need it)

-B complex (one from garden of life)  - The B vitamins in this is from food sources.  Another good brand is mega foods (i think that is what it is called).  Please do not take a B vitamin separately, as they work together.  Also, it is DANGEROUS to overdose on B6!!!!  Despite it being a water soluble vitamin, you can do serious damage to your nerves and such.  I would never recommend something like B-50 or B-100... that is too much!  Check out the ratios of the garden of life and mega food brand.  That is okay.  Also, it is important to get B12 in methyl form, and folic acid in the folate form.

-Cod liver oil (green pasture)

-Multivitamin

That is all.  smile.png  Good luck to you!!!  And I'm sure you will notice great changes from things like juicing and getting rid of coffee.

Edited by IDK111, 04 January 2014 - 09:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users