Photo

Holy Isotretinoin Batman, It's Another Accutane Log!

first time accutane accutane log pictures

157 replies to this topic

#61 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, day dreaming

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

Meg, I'm sorry that you are feeling so "un-beautiful".  My derm refers to Iso as "the next best thing to the fountain of youth."  She assures me that once the initial side effects and things have worn off, it will enhance your skin, and make it better. I will surely be keeping things crossed that she is right, for all of our sakes. 

We rely on your sense of humor, and positive attitude around here, so much (at least, I do, and I'm sure others do as well).  But it isn't possible to be "up", all the time, so now is our time to step in and encourage you. 

In the mean time, maybe a conditioning treatment for your hair, and then a trim, if you and your hair-dresser still think it is necessary? Not sure what kinds of options are available, because I haven't been back to the salon since I got a crappy cut in October, but surely your hairdresser could recommend something?  And maybe your boyfriend would be okay with a bit of a cut if he saw how happy you are with it. :) 

#62 LoveLouisV

LoveLouisV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

I hear ya on the random scratches/cuts, especially on my hands.  The skin there is so damn sensitive!  I just try and keep them moisturized, which is kind of tough given it's cold/flu season and I wash my hands like it's my job.

Your bout with reflux sounds a bit like mine did.  It was even around the same time frame (I think) and like you, I had only had a few bites of food and it was instant pain and suffering.  It's flared up mildly since then every so often, but again, very mildly...not nearly as bad as before.  Either that, or I'm catching it earlier on and taking meds to mitigate it/prevent it from worsening.  I take Zantac 150...works great.

Cheer up, buttercup.  You've got this in the bag.  Accutane is a weird drug and produces some weird side effects, but we'll all get through it to the other side with clear skin.  You can do it!  :)

xoxo

LoveLouisV

Check out my Accutane Log!!

F - 31, 105lbs

Start date: December 5, 2013

Month 1: 40mg Claravis

Month 2: 60mg Claravis

Month 3: 60mg Claravis

Month 4: 60mg Claravis

#63 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything! Seriously.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

I am not sure why,  but acne.org is not letting me quote anyone's responses...anyone else have this problem and have a fix?

Anyway, Kim, Emmy, Jess, and LLV, thank you so much. Your words of encouragement were amazingly helpful. If you know anything- know this - you have a friend in me.  Your opening up to me and talking me through my ups and downs is what gets me through these rough patches, and I will be forever thankful for it. :)

I try very, very hard to stay positive - but as you all probably know, this experience just feels so LONELY sometimes. I want to look in the mirror and see something that I am happy with, and I cling so desperately to the hope that I will see my image one day and say "Holy crapola Meghan, you are kinda pretty!".

So thanks to you all for getting me closer to that goal. :)

Now for my log -

Weird ugly things are still happening to my skin, but surprisingly, the acne is the least of my worries. I have one white head on my chin that popped  on its own yesterday and is healing pretty well today. Other than that, nothing is really changed. The texture of my skin just seems so dramatically different all of a sudden. I don't know if it's dehydration or now that there is less inflammation other things are more noticeable, but I have never seen my skin look this...unhealthy before. It's not dryness, it's not oilyness...it's sadness. I am trying to be hopeful about it. I woke up late today so I had to go to work without makeup. I don't mind because I work in a lab with just 5 people in it, and I'm not self conscious around them. I am just trying very hard not to look at myself in any mirrors until I can get to a bathroom to cover up the scary. I am thankful for the skin clarity at the moment, although I know that my time is coming, based on previous patterns, I'll probably break out mid to late next week.

On a side note - yesterday was official dippn' dots day here in Texas! Why you ask? IT SNOWED DIP'N DOTS! To explain, it never snows here. It rarely precipitates here, actually. The biggest weather problems we have to deal with is drought. So, imagine my surprise when I woke up yesterday morning, looked outside, and saw the ground covered in "snow"! When I went outside to play with said snow - I realized the snow was actually tiny white freeze dried pellets of white powedery snow, like...Dip'N Dots? Anyway. I am calling it snow because gosh-dernit if it's white, and it's on the ground, and I can make little white freeze-dried pellet men out of it... IT'S GOSH DERN SNOW!

Side effects:

Skin- Face: Very uneven and rough looking. I don't know if they are scars from the last breakout (eeek) or atrophy from the cortisone shots (I am hoping and praying it's this, because that means It'll be back to normal in a month or so) but my skin looks very uneven and dimply in the areas I had my IB. My pores are HUGE-UNGO. I never had small pores to begin with, of course - but they are very, very noticeably larger. 

Body: Small rash spots that come and go on my shoulders. Nothing concerning, I only notice them after I get out of the shower. Moisturizing seems to keep them at bay. Weirdly, the skin on my body is very nice. Probably because I neglected to moisturize it before I was on accutane, but everything seems much smoother and glowy. I just wish my friggen' face would get the message.

Hair - Better. It's still rather dry, but it doesn't seem to be getting dryer, which is good. I broke down and bought a bottle of 100% Argan oil at my neighborhood health food store, and it actually seems to be helping quite a bit. I do still need to get it cut ,but I am putting it off as I truly need a new hairdresser. The one I'm seeing is...meh.

Headaches: If I don't drink coffee, I get a massive headache. This never happened to me before I took accutane (I liked coffee, but I never needed it to function). I know this because I didn't have time to pick up coffee this morning, and I can feel the headache getting slowly more and more pound-y. This happens to me every Friday when I have to come in earlier than normal to run experiments and I don't have time to pick up coffee. I am hoping someone will take pity on me and go get me some, but it's not looking likely.

Joint pain: No change, it seems to come and go, but it is never very painful. Sometimes if I stay in one position for too long I feel a little stiff, but it doesn't bother me at all. 

Bowels/ Stomach issues: I had a little bit of stomach pain again the day after I wrote my last log, but nothing since then.

Mood: Still feeling "meh", but somewhat more optimistic. I plan to talk to my dermatologist about the state of my skin during my next appointment, and I am praying he won't dismiss my questions as the dysmorphic ramblings of a self-conscious woman on iso.

My Accutane log (with pictures):

http://www.acne.org/...r-accutane-log/

26 y/o female- approx. 54kg
Absorica -40 mg, 1 daily, December 26, 2013 - February, 25, 2014

Absorica - 60 mg, 1 daily. February 26, 2014 -
Probiotic - 1 daily
Fish oil supplement w/ vit D - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Food Grade Rose water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray
Vichy 50+ Capital Soleil Cream for Sensitive Skin

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

Food grade Rose Water - Toner

Aveeno Positively Radiant intensive night cream

Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion- PM

Cerave Moisturizing cream
Avene Cicalfate (as needed)

#64 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

Meg, I think I know what you are talking about as far as "Sad" skin. My skin is red, with a weird texture. The dryness is there too, and so is the general icky-ness.  Hopefully your derm will be a little more sympathetic to your concerns this time. 

I don't think I would be brave enough to go out without makeup, so Hooray for you, for being able to do that.  Right now I kind of look like... sunburnt orange peal. That's about the only way I know to describe this, between the texture, and the redness.  I suppose orange is better than Ugli-fruit. 

I'm glad you were safe through Dippin' Dots Day! 

#65 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Day 53:

I have't posted here in a while, my apologies - I have had a very, very busy week! I just returned from a conference where I presented my research. I was able to meet some great contacts - I felt so confident! I don't know if it has to do with the state of my skin , but it was wonderful to shake hands and meet new poeple in my field without the constant anxiety over my face. In fact, my skin has been at the bottom of my worry list, it's amazing! It is so wonderfully freeing not to have that little voice costantly buzzing behind everything else, whispering an inner monologue that goes something like: I wonder when is the next appropriate moment to go to a bathroom with good lighting? Is that itch on my cheek a new cyst? Ok Meghan don't touch it DONT TOUCH IT oh great you touched it. Oh man there isn't something there yet but there is totally the potential for something to be there in like 1 hour crap-o-la it's gonna be huge! it feels warmer than the rest of my skin and it definitely feels bumpier than usual...oh wait that's an old cyst I'm touching. Or IS IT?! IS IT AN OLD ONE GROWING BACK?! Crap. This person is probably wondering why I am palpitating my face like I forgot what it feels like. Just excuse yourself to go to the bathroom. CRAP THE ITCH IS BACK. Don't think about it...don't think about...stop thinking about it...just get the concealer and cover that bad boy right up....OH GOD I FORGOT MY CONCEALER

But that voice has been decidedly absent, or at least quieter than usual. I am currently breaking out, but compared to my previous flare up, it's a cake walk *knocks on wood*. My numbers as of today:

4 actives on my right cheek: 1 healing nodule, 2 smallish pustules, and 1 active cyst

NO Actives on my left cheek, one dormant one that likes to play games with my mind.

I has my dermatology appointment today. He said my labs looked fine although my cholesterol has risen, and again he didn't seem concerned. He said my skin looked "Markedly better" and duh duh duh DUH: "Absolutely NO scarring". He said my skin is definitely dehydrated which can contribute to the appearance of uneviness and large pores. He explained that because I am fair-skinned, the top layer of my skin is basically "transparent". He explained that all the inflammation from past activity happens below that top layer, but because I have "trasparent skin" (makes me think of science fiction for some reason) all of that post-inflammatory-healing is much more apparent. Makes sense to me.

He seemed very, very pleased with my progress (For once I get to experience that response from a dermatologist! Who would have thunk it?). He raised my dosage to 60, and said I would be sticking with that dosage for the rest of my treatment. He said I might experience another flare up (grrrreat), but it shouldn't be too bad. We'll see about that. I know I need to post another picture, I'l try to do that soon.

Side effects:

Skin: Starting to peel a bit. Also, this is weird - but the skin on my nose feels like literal sandpaper (not an exaggeration, it literally feels like a very high-grained sand paper). From what I can tell, the reason for this texture is what looks like tiny, tiny clogged pores raised above my skin. They are too tiny to be white heads, and they don't look like blackheads. Anyone else experiencing this? It's not really bothersome or that noticable unless I am looking up close, I am just curious about what is causing it. I forgot to ask my dermatologist, of course.

Hair: still very dry, still need to do something about the color.

Lips: Crusty. Ew.

I am experiencing NO other side effects, at least no noticable ones.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#66 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hooray for you! For your boost of confidence, for your healing skin, and for a positive commentary from the dermatologist!! Also, Hooray for learning new things (like transparent skin, which brought a sci-fi reference too my mind, too), and for an opportunity to present your research! You're on a roll, girl! 

Has the derm recommended a lotion or cream for your face? Or even prescribed something?

Also wanted to tell you that I love the name Meghan.  Beautiful .

#67 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hooray for you! For your boost of confidence, for your healing skin, and for a positive commentary from the dermatologist!! Also, Hooray for learning new things (like transparent skin, which brought a sci-fi reference too my mind, too), and for an opportunity to present your research! You're on a roll, girl! 

Has the derm recommended a lotion or cream for your face? Or even prescribed something?

Also wanted to tell you that I love the name Meghan.  Beautiful .

AAAAAAAAH MY QUOTES FINALLY FREAKING WORK!!! I am so excited!! I am a little alarmed by how excited I am about this being fixed. But....Meh. I'll take excited where I can get excited. 

Thank you for the words of encouragement Jess! It is nice to see progress. I know things will probably go a little down-hill again, and I know with the dosage increase I might have to deal with another breakout, but I also know now that things will get better because I can actually *see* it getting better!

The dermatologist didn't prescribe anything for the dryness, but I didn't even think to ask. Has your dermatologist recommended anything for dryness? I am just kind of trucking through it now, but I suppose I should be a little more concerned given the dosage increase.

And, I appreciate the compliment on my name! People always ask me if I am Irish (Unfortunately, I am not). In fact, I am of Greek heritage on my mother's side (which means I was raised to be 100% Greek. To Greeks, Greek blood vetoes non-Greek blood. Narcissism IS a Greek word, after all...). My mom wanted to name me "Ionna" (pronounced Ya-na), but my very Heinz-57 American father vetoed that, and...Meghan is my name. I'd like to think I was named after the Greek Demi-Goddess Megera, but alas - it's more likely I was named after a line in a baby book. 

Edited by megtree, 18 February 2014 - 05:22 PM.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#68 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

So glad you are seeing some progress! Also, I love Meghans with 'h's. As a teacher I see a lot of spellings for that name, and the 'h' version is my fave. My mom wanted to name me Hillary, but I also had a dad veto come to the rescue! I would make a horrible Hillary. Kim is actually my middle name - I'm one of those who don't like to use my real name on the interwebz. Strangely, I am kind of getting used to being called by it here!

Anyway - soooooo glad you are feeling better! Me too! It's up and down, but nothing like my IB has happened since those first few weeks, so I really think we are in the clear from horrible awful shit now. Yay!

#69 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

My derm did give me a prescription cream for the dryness, but I never got it filled, because the flaking seems to have eased off. :P Since the pharmacy kept the scrip sheet, I can't tell you what it was. :( I believe it began with an R. 

I absolutely love your name story. :)  Mine is rather involved... the short version is that I was named Jessie Maxine when I was born (Don't like either of those), and I was named Jessica Anne when I was adopted as a 14 month old.  Of course, Jessica and Anne are 2 extremely common names, so I always longed for a more unusual name, so I'd know if someone was talking to/about me, but they are much better than Jessie Maxine. :P 

I have 2 cousins with names similar to yours. One of them is Megan, the other is Maegen (which is said Maygen, not Mehgan). It's a name I've always liked, and you don't really see a whole lot of variation in spellings, so the H in yours is really cool. 

#70 Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Hey megtree, I've been checking in on your log now and again because I, too, am in my mid-20's with persistent (hormonal?) cystic acne and I've recently been considering Accutane.  I still haven't made up my mind.... it's a hard decision.

Anyway, this is acne-unrelated, but I noticed you mentioned you presented your research at a conference.  What are you studying?  I'm doing my M.Sc right now.  You actually commented on my thread where I was saying I couldn't focus on my thesis because my acne and scars were bothering me so much.  Thankfully, I got on track... and I am sending my thesis to my supervisors today!  So thank you for the encouragement a month or so ago!   

I'm glad Accutane is working well for you!

Edited by Apple Blossom, 21 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#71 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Hey megtree, I've been checking in on your log now and again because I, too, am in my mid-20's with persistent (hormonal?) cystic acne and I've recently been considering Accutane.  I still haven't made up my mind.... it's a hard decision.

Anyway, this is acne-unrelated, but I noticed you mentioned you presented your research at a conference.  What are you studying?  I'm doing my M.Sc right now.  You actually commented on my thread where I was saying I couldn't focus on my thesis because my acne and scars were bothering me so much.  Thankfully, I got on track... and I am sending my thesis to my supervisors today!  So thank you for the encouragement a month or so ago!   

I'm glad Accutane is working well for you!

CONGRATULATIONS! I will be sending good vibes your way in hopes that your committee approves it without delay! 

I did actually finish my M.S. in Experimental Social Psychology last year (a mouthful, I know), and I work as a research coordinator/ data-manager in a psych lab right now. Interestingly, I didn't have many issues with my skin until after I finished my thesis, but I will say this: One thing that helps me get my mind off my face is diving into my research. I LOVE researching things. I don't just like to know something, I want to KNOW that I know something - and there is nothing that takes me out of my self-focus like learning and contributing to a body of knowledge! Even acne can't take away the feeling you get when you master a subject or topic you love. :)

Accutane was definitely a hard decision for me too, and it does have it's ups and downs. Ultimately, though, I am very happy. The thing that helped me decide: I researched the F-word out of it! I read so many dermatological articles citing support and lack of support for isotretinoin treatment. I read about dosing, I read about side-effects, I read about the statistical likelihood for long-term adverse effects vs. long-term remission. I read about the dangers of mental health changes and the preventative measures I could take. I read anecdotal reports, forums, and logs. I looked at picture after picture and I did my best to understand all of the hypotheses of how iso works to eliminate acne. When I made the decision to start, I knew I was going into it as informed as I could possibly be. 

Now with the stress of writing a thesis almost off your plate, go have a drink and enjoy being an Almost-Master! :D

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#72 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

Day 60-

Officially the last day of my second month on absorica! Tomorrow I start my dose increase to 60 mg. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it won't upset my skin, but I guess we shall see, won't we?

Unfortunately, I have been sick as a dog since last Thursday. They say it's the Common Cold, but I don't remember feeling this crappy from any cold! Unfortunately, the combination of cold medication and accutane has sent my skin dryness into overdrive. I am dry, dry dry. I am also very snuffly, my voice sounds very deep and sultry (but the liquids pouring out of my face negate any of the extra sexiness imparted by my voice) and I just feel rotten. I am hoping I will be getting over this thing as soon as possible, and I am hoping that the dose increase won't make things worst. Everything just feels miserable when your sick, but at least I have an excuse to look like poop.

Here is my activity rundown:

0 Actives! 

5 healing: 2 are cysts that will probably live to fight another day, 2 were smaller run-of-the-mill pimples that barely left a mark.

Side effects: 

Skin is very dry with patches of roughness, probably exacerbated by the cold medicine

Lips are a complete mess, poor things. It is so bad that strangers are offering me their chapstick; it must look so painful that I would be willing to risk infection just to sooth them. They are red, swollen, peeling and scaly. 

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#73 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hope you start feeling better soon! You create such images with your words that I was sitting here giggling, even though I do feel bad for you. I have been battling a cold myself. Although, I have been keeping it in the beginning stages, mostly. I'm drinking a lot of orange juice, and using zinc tabs.  Seems like a winning conversation so far! 

#74 OilyAcneQueen

OilyAcneQueen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

Congrats on having 2 months down! I'm sorry you're sick too, that must suck while on tane. If your lips are still pretty bad, try slathering some maximum strength cortisone cream on them, followed by aquaphor or whatever lip ointment works best for you. I did that routine a couple of times a day for about two days when my lips got severely chapped and it greatly improved the condition of my lips.

#75 yorkielove

yorkielove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hooray for completing 2 months! I hope you feel better soon and the dryness starts to go away.  I just wanted to let you know that your posts have been so encouraging for me.  So thank you. I'm starting Accuatne next week, and I'm nervous.

A little over a month ago, my face started erupting with deep bumps. The onslaught was so abrupt and spread so quickly that I knew something was wrong. The first couple days, I was so ashamed of my appearance that I could barely look anyone in the eye at work. I felt like I looked like a monster, but I keep telling myself that beauty is also about what’s on the inside. I went to a family practitioner, and she wasn’t sure what it was. So I went to my dermatologist, and he said I have a rare skin disease called pyoderma faciale (basically rapid inflammation and puss that tunnels through skincells). My dermatologist recommended a short (low dose) of steroids followed by 5 months of Accutane. But as he began to list the side effects of Accutane, my heart just beat faster and faster. Accutane sounded so scary that I wasn’t ready to make a commitment in his office. Two days later, I started to panic because the bumps were spreading, the pain is worse, and I worried about permanent scarring on my cheeks. Ahh! So I decided to take the leap and join the Accutane Wagon. Woohoo!  Your blog has been so encouraging in helping me realize that if other people can make it through this process then I’m hoping I can do.

#76 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:47 AM

Yorkielove, I read a tiny bit about your condition because I had never heard of it. I cannot imagine what that would be like, and I hope you find remission quickly. It seemed like all the literature said Accutane is a darn good cure. Thank you for sharing your story.

Meg - glad you are doing so well. Me too! Except work is a pain in my butt. Interesting how all the other stresses become more apparent. Yet, I somehow like it. Feels like living my actual life.

Looking forward to your next update.

#77 Petrichor Murmurs

Petrichor Murmurs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Getting rid of acne, studying, reading good books and cuddling cats.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

Congrats with your two-month mark! And so sorry you haven't been feeling well. It does suck when it piles up like that, but it will all pass! I have a range of lip-products, adjusting which one I use to what I'm doing. Hope you have all you need to get through your sick period. (Like lip oils, yummy food and a whole heap of blankets!)

#78 yorkielove

yorkielove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Kim28, thanks so much for your kinds words.  I hope that you will also have success with your Accuane journey.  Hopefully before the end of the year all of us will emerge from this process free with great skin...like beautiful butterflies.   :)

#79 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Jess - Yes, my cold has abated! I'm left with some sniffles, but thank goodness, it's gone. How are you feeling? I hope you were able to out-run your cold!

Queen - I was thinking of your suggestion when my lips started to get really bad! Unfortunately, my lips were so irritated that I have developed my first cold sore in YEARS (wah!), so I am going to treat that first and as soon as it is healed I will try the cortisone trick.

yorkielove - It warms my heart to hear that my logs are an encouragement to you. I have to say, I started writing these logs (and have tried to faithfully keep up with them) because I know how scary making the decision to go on accutane can be, and it was the logs of other people's experiences that helped me finally make the decision. Yes, there are people who experience bad things - but in the end, I believe this drug has helped so many more poeple than it has hurt. I think that you will be very pleased with your accutane experience and I have full faith that it will be a very helpful treatment. Because I am kind of a nerd, I read up on your condition in a few journals of dermatology, and it appears that accutane is definitely effective for your condition. Please keep us posted on your progress!

Petrichor Murmers - Thank you!! I am feeling much better now, although my lips are about the same sad.png I see on your log that you aren't feeling well either. I hope you feel better very, very soon! Being sick on accutane SUCKS SO MANY EGGS!

My log update:
Day 69 -

I can't believe I am almost 70 days in! Only...110 more to go? WAH :( :( The dose increase is definitely a bit hard to deal with. At 40 mg, iso is a piece of cake. At 60...the side effects are definitely not the most fun. I am slathering my lips with aquafor every 15 minutes or so. Well, in actuality, I am slathering the aquafor on the entire lower half of my face because the dryness has creeped past the lip line, so by the end of the day it looks like I ate an entire bucket of greasy fried chicken without wiping my face afterwards. Yummy.

My legs are also very sore in the mornings. It's still not what I would call debilitating, but much more than a mere annoyance. It almost feels like the soreness of over exertion from exercise (ha ha, yeah right!). I am also experiencing that much talked about side effect that everyone loves to hate: Brain fog. It's more than just fatigue or tiredness, it's truly like a fog in my mind that makes it hard to think things through. For example, in the middle of a sentence, I forget words for common abstracts or ideas, so I ending up saying things like:

"Well, Sally and I were talking about how stressful work has been lately, and it's nice to have someone to...you know..argh! What's that thing that two people do when they are both not happy with something and they talk about it together and then they get pleasure in eachothers mutual...unhappiness? Miser..miser..comiserate! Ok. So it's nice to have someone to comiserate with."

As such my conversations are twice as long and 3 times as boring. Not cool Iso, not cool.

And to top it all off, I think I am starting to flare-up from the increase. I have two very large and unhappy cyst/nodule combos, and I fear more to come. And BOY are they painful! My doctor told me to call him if I flare-up so he can prescribe a Z-pack, but I really hate taking antibiotics. I always feel like the side-effects are worse than the thing they are supposed to treat.

Good news: The marks from old cysts are actually fading! This makes me so happy because, for me - this means they are really gone. I notice that, with my normal acne, as soon as the pimple is healed, the mark begins to fade right away (it still takes forever to fade away completely, but I notice slight improvement on a daily basis). With my cysts, they may go down and look like they are gone (in terms of swelling) but the redness never seems to improve. Sure enough, within a month, they come back. I assume it's because the swelling is gone, but the infection underneath the surface remains active. If the spots are actually fading, then I would assume that means the area is actually healing underneath the surface.

So, activity run - down:

Actives: 3 (3 large and painful cysts)

Side effects:

Skin: Very dry. Moisturizing continues to keep rashes and such at bay, and skin seems slightly less prone to injury

Hair: Still a disaster, still dilly-dallying on doing something about it

Joints: Definitely a noticable increase in stiffness and pain

Bowels: Not much of a difference, everything seems fine except for the occasional stomach ache that seems to be food related.

Emotional/Mental side effects: Noticable brain fog. Coffee and getting enough sleep helps a bit, but it's definitely frustrating. Emotionally, I am feeling a little bit more down than normal. Since I am very familiar with how it feels to be "down" I am doing everything I can to avoid depression triggers and use the coping mechanisms I've learned over the years.

And that's all folks!

Edited by megtree, 06 March 2014 - 01:13 PM.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#80 yorkielove

yorkielove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Megtree,  thank you so much for the support.  Yes, I'll keep you guys posted. *fingers crossed*

Good for you on having the courage to increase your dosage; I know it’s gotta be hard. I’m sorry that the side effects have increased. :( How long did your doctor say that the brain fog will last…for the remainder of the treatment or will the side effects eventually die down as your body gets used to the new dosage? I’m glad the marks from the old cysts are fading!  Hooray for the little victories in life :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users