Photo

Holy Isotretinoin Batman, It's Another Accutane Log!

first time accutane accutane log pictures

157 replies to this topic

#21 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, day dreaming

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

Aww, very sweet boyfriend. :)  It is so encouraging when they notice and comment on things. Just makes the glow even better, I think. 

I've been pretty dry. I'm on day...20. :o I can hardly believe it is that long!  So far I haven't had much of an IB, just occasionally small things. I have noticed that sometimes I am oily, and sometimes I am very dry. It is strange. My hair is weird, too.  Sometimes it seems very dry, and my scalp itches like mad, and sometimes it is oily as all get out. One of these days maybe it will balance out. 

#22 LoveLouisV

LoveLouisV

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Yay, I'm so glad I found your log! I love reading your posts, you crack me up and your title is great! I am so happy to have your journey to follow because it's been crazy weird how parallel we are with this treatment. I was also noticing some serious nausea and think peppermint sounds amazing, I will try that pronto! Since I couldn't drink anything for New Years I drank some ginger ale and it was really helpful....and delicious too wink.png I also completely agree with everyone your skin is GREAT, and will heal fast. 

I have had almost the exact same situation with nieces and nephews when they hit your chin or cheek and your eyes water in horrific pain (ugh it hurts just thinking about it) I've also had some of the classic, "What are all those red dots on your face aunt Em?" Ego hit for sure, kids are super honest, which is what I adore about them!  

One time when my acne was really bad looking, I was putting powder on my face in front of a little girl I didn't really know (someone's little sister or something), and she asked what I was doing.  I told her I was putting on makeup.  She asked "what's that for?"  I said "it's to cover up any red bumps!" to which she quickly replied, "oohhhh, you have a LOT of those!!" *cue everyone's laughter*.  Talk about mortifying...

xoxo

LoveLouisV

Check out my Accutane Log!!

F - 31, 105lbs

Start date: December 5, 2013

Month 1: 40mg Claravis

Month 2: 60mg Claravis

Month 3: 60mg Claravis

Month 4: 60mg Claravis

#23 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything! Seriously.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

So, I thought I'd post pictures of my progress since it's now been over 2 weeks. As you can see in the first two pictures, the redness is a little worse, but I am still inflamed active - free! Now - in the lat picture, you can see along with my very alarmed-looking eyes and weirdly oily skin, I have a ton of these very small bumps covering my forehead. These things formed in the span of A COUPLE OF HOURS tonight. They feel a little tight and itchy, almost like hives, NOT closed comodones. So my question is WT holy F is this?!?!? If this is an IB and tomorrow I'm going to wake up with a million billion big red oozy crazy things on my forehead I will be slightly peeved.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

My Accutane log (with pictures):

http://www.acne.org/...r-accutane-log/

26 y/o female- approx. 54kg
Absorica -40 mg, 1 daily, December 26, 2013 - February, 25, 2014

Absorica - 60 mg, 1 daily. February 26, 2014 -
Probiotic - 1 daily
Fish oil supplement w/ vit D - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Food Grade Rose water - Toner

La Roche Posay Mineral Water Spray
Vichy 50+ Capital Soleil Cream for Sensitive Skin

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

Food grade Rose Water - Toner

Aveeno Positively Radiant intensive night cream

Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion- PM

Cerave Moisturizing cream
Avene Cicalfate (as needed)

#24 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:53 PM

Ah! I have no idea why my pictures are upside-down in the above post...buuut.....meh. I'm sure you all get "the picture"! *giggle/snort*

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#25 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Ah! I have no idea why my pictures are upside-down in the above post...buuut.....meh. I'm sure you all get "the picture"! *giggle/snort*

They made me laugh. Especially that last one. The eyes are amazing.

#26 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

They made me laugh. Especially that last one. The eyes are amazing.

Haha! Yes- I was alittle worried about those bumps, needless to say!

Day 18 (or dose 18) - my forehead didn't break out (thank Jeeves) - those strange bumps have gone away. I have broken out on my back: 1 big mother trucker nodule that is already healing, and I just noticed a cyst / nodule on my scalp! That is honestly the first one I have ever gotten one in that area - maybe it's the extra hair oilyness? I'll keep an eye on it. My face is still the clearest it's been in about 2 years. However, the nodules on my back and scalp and the weird bumpiness on my forehead are all pointing to that Dreaded 3rd week IB (eep! I'm in my 3rd week!). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it won't be too awful.

Side effects: my lips are falling off. This is not an exaggeration- they are literally peeling off in little lip-skin sheets like a molting snake. Aquafor is helping with the pain and redness and keeping them from cracking, but the peeling just won't stop! My eyes are not as dry anymore, as long as I lubricate with drops in the moring and before I go to bed, that seems sufficient. My skin also seems less dry, but very easily irritated/ damaged. I keep accidentally scratching my hands or bumping my knuckles on things (my depth perception is....how do you say...? Lacking) and now the back of my hands look like I supplement my income with cage fighting. No major headaches. I have noticed some transient back pain and joint achyness but nothing severe.

Happy Sunday everyone!

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#27 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Wanted to update my post-

Dose 19 -

First  nodule on my face since I started accutane, right on time! I noticed it this morning and it has already come to a head  (which means...dadadada...an even bigger head tomorrow!). Strangely, it is not painful. Usually, anything on my face that will sprout a head doesn't do so until it has screamed in painful agony on my face for 2 or 3 days. However, I am seriously afraid of scarring on isotretinoin so I am treating it with baby kid gloves made from the laughter tears of tiny baby lamb-angels . For anyone on Iso right now that has already experienced their IB (or is experiencing it), what, if anything, did you do to minimize potential scarring? I have given up on preventing PIH, but I would like to avoid more scarring as much as humanly possible. 

Edited by megtree, 13 January 2014 - 03:31 PM.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#28 emmygirl

emmygirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Ugh as much as it sucks, I have decided to just leave everything completely alone, like even those lovely whiteheads that stick out like....well a gross whitehead! ha! I truly think that will help prevent scarring. I'm super grateful I haven't had much of an IB but have definitely had my share of breakouts over the last week or so. I just made a really strong effort to stop touching my face. I would love to hear some other thoughts though, because we all already know not to pick at and pop zits on Accutane (at least not if we can help it) so any other response will be better than mine, that is just what I have found to truly help eliminate scarring, I've got enough of that as it is!

26 y/o Female - 120 lbs.

30mg Amnesteem Twice daily

Start Date: December 23, 2013

CeraVa Facial Foaming Cleanser

CeraVa Moisturizer

Vaniply/Aquaphor Lip ointment

#29 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Argh, yeah- the head. Came off when I was washing (like, I touched it and it fell off, I didn't even really "was" it!) and now I'm stuck with a vague red lump...is it a cyst? Is it a nodule? Will Ricardo profess his love to Julia? Find out in "All my Pimples".

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#30 OilyAcneQueen

OilyAcneQueen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

I'm on Absorica too, starting month 5 in two days.  Try exfoliating your lips once a day or every other day preferably.  Exfoliate them gently by scrubbing them with a wash cloth or towel or with a toothbrush while they're still wet.  If your lips get really bad to the point that they crack open in the corners or blister, start using cortizone cream a few times a day for a day or two, it helps tremendously.

Also, when I either popped my IB acne or just had bigger acne marks, I would put neosporin on them to help them heal faster and to help minimize scarring.  It worked pretty well.  I would try to use it during the day when I didn't have to see anyone important and I would always use it at night by putting on the neosporin and covering the bad pimps with a bandaid. 

Let me know if you need any more tips/advice.  I've been on a fairly high dose for my weight since month 2 so I'm quite experienced with all kinds of side effects.

#31 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

I'm on Absorica too, starting month 5 in two days.  Try exfoliating your lips once a day or every other day preferably.  Exfoliate them gently by scrubbing them with a wash cloth or towel or with a toothbrush while they're still wet.  If your lips get really bad to the point that they crack open in the corners or blister, start using cortizone cream a few times a day for a day or two, it helps tremendously.

Also, when I either popped my IB acne or just had bigger acne marks, I would put neosporin on them to help them heal faster and to help minimize scarring.  It worked pretty well.  I would try to use it during the day when I didn't have to see anyone important and I would always use it at night by putting on the neosporin and covering the bad pimps with a bandaid. 

Let me know if you need any more tips/advice.  I've been on a fairly high dose for my weight since month 2 so I'm quite experienced with all kinds of side effects.

I will try the neosporin idea tonight! On the exfoliation idea, I do try to exfoliate VERY gently with a soft paper towel and cetaphil every night before bed, but if I do anything harsher than that (i.e., a wash cloth) it starts to really hurt and sting. Since I haven't had any serious problems with swelling or cracking, I am ok with the peeling for now. It doesn't look awesome, but it doesn't hurt too bad.

When you used a bandaid - were you worried that sticky part would stick to your skin and irritate it? I wonder if I could just apply the neosporin alone and just try not to sleep on that side.

Thanks for the offer on the tips - actually, I do have one question, but I'll take it off the air and PM you :)

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#32 OilyAcneQueen

OilyAcneQueen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

I've used cheap bandaids that aren't too sticky and so far my skin hasn't ripped off.  I also apply a decent amount of heavier moisturizer and I think that also helps prevent my skin from ripping off with the bandaids.  I did accidentally rip some of my skin off with some medical tape at one point while on accutane, and that wasn't fun or attractive so it definitely can happen with sticker bandaids or medical tape. 

If your lips sting after trying to exfoliate them, try putting some cortizone cream on them, let it dry for a minute, the follow up with aquaphor.  Cortizone followed by aquaphor is a god send for bad accutane lips.

#33 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Oh, what a good idea, thank you so much for the tip!

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#34 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

These tips are great! Thank you girls for sharing them.  I efoliated my lips very gently last night, and the results were remarkable, really. They hadn't been cracking and bleeding, but the peeling skin at the outside edges of my lips was yucky.  I did put aquafor on right afterward, and that took away what little sting there was. 

I'm still searching for a moisturizer that doesn't sting my skin.  I have tried Cerave, a couple of Aveeno things, and a Curel (sp) one.  Sometimes one stings, and then next time it doesn't.  Seems it is all about the skin. 

#35 Kev85

Kev85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

Hey Megtree

The question to pop or not to pop the pimple crosses my mind several times a day. Mine are pretty huge and gross ones that come to head full of puss. Ive been on Isotretinoin 30mg for a little over 2 weeks now and still get a few nasty one.

So I experimented.

2 puss filled pimples on the right side of my cheek.

Popped 1 and let the other one dry out.

My observation - The one I let dry out has now turned into a nodule. Does not hurt but is Hard to touch. Like if I gently pinch it feel like a lump beneath my skin. Left a dark patch lets say 5 shades darker than me skin.

As for the one I popped. Its was very sore one day. I generally tend to sleep on my sides ( trying forever to sleep on my back, but its not working out for me) so i decided to pop it. Took a hot shower. It came to head , sanitized my hand and Kaboom it exploded. First puss followed by blood. (sorry for the explicit details) Its worse my i have mellowed it down a notch for squeamish  users.

I left a piece of paper towel on the zit to stop the bleeding. Washed the area one the blood stopped oozing out and that was it.

The next morning the swelling in the area reduced and the pimple scabbed and fell of the next day. 3 shades darker than my skin and no nodule or lump.

So im not saying ill pop all the pimples that show up but sometime it feel it better than letting it dry out cause those nodules take forever to heal. I have got a sucker laying on my face for the last 2 months. Wish now that I popped it when I have come to a head. As far as long term scarring goes , I have no idea which one will heal better. I also heard for people getting pitted scar when picking acne, never happened to me but i hope being on accutane does not change that.

#36 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hey Megtree

The question to pop or not to pop the pimple crosses my mind several times a day. Mine are pretty huge and gross ones that come to head full of puss. Ive been on Isotretinoin 30mg for a little over 2 weeks now and still get a few nasty one.

So I experimented.

2 puss filled pimples on the right side of my cheek.

Popped 1 and let the other one dry out.

My observation - The one I let dry out has now turned into a nodule. Does not hurt but is Hard to touch. Like if I gently pinch it feel like a lump beneath my skin. Left a dark patch lets say 5 shades darker than me skin.

As for the one I popped. Its was very sore one day. I generally tend to sleep on my sides ( trying forever to sleep on my back, but its not working out for me) so i decided to pop it. Took a hot shower. It came to head , sanitized my hand and Kaboom it exploded. First puss followed by blood. (sorry for the explicit details) Its worse my i have mellowed it down a notch for squeamish  users.

I left a piece of paper towel on the zit to stop the bleeding. Washed the area one the blood stopped oozing out and that was it.

The next morning the swelling in the area reduced and the pimple scabbed and fell of the next day. 3 shades darker than my skin and no nodule or lump.

So im not saying ill pop all the pimples that show up but sometime it feel it better than letting it dry out cause those nodules take forever to heal. I have got a sucker laying on my face for the last 2 months. Wish now that I popped it when I have come to a head. As far as long term scarring goes , I have no idea which one will heal better. I also heard for people getting pitted scar when picking acne, never happened to me but i hope being on accutane does not change that.

Thank you! Although I haven't had too many difficulties with scarring, I know isotretinoin makes it much more likely to scar because it increases healing time. I do like your experiment though! In the past I usually take it on a case-by-case basis. Luckily, the large-ish blemishes Ive been getting (I have 2 now) are not as painful as they normally are, so I am not as tempted to mess with them.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#37 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Day 22 -

Wanted to update my log with new activity:

I think the IB is starting. Wah. WAH WAH WAH! wah.

So...I woke up yesterday, and I had a new (ish) cyst forming on my cheek. I say newish because I've been playing wack-a-mole with that guy for what feels like half a year (along with most of the cysts/nodules on my face) and it looks like he is making his appearance, very rudely I might add. Today, I have a nodule on my left cheek and 2 more cysts forming on my right. My face is twinging and itching in different spots every hour or so. These little twinges feel EXACTLY like what a new cyst feels like when it's gettingready to come through the door screaming "IM HEEEEEEEEERE DARLING!!!!". I also have some stuff brewing on my chin, and my skin just seems altogether more....unhappy. I just watched Pacific Rim (a horrible movie) but I think it serves as an amazing metaphor for the relationship between cystic acne and accutane. Gigantic building sized alien sea monsters (cysts and nodules) are relentlessly destroying humanity city by city (my face). The only way to stop these monsters is to unleash EQUALLY destructive and gigantic gun/sword wielding  NUCLEAR KILLER ROBOTS (accutane) to fight these relentless alien sea monsters ONE BY ONE AS SLOWLY AS POSSIBLE. Sigh. Acne is just so. much. fun.

I am not in the best of moods..but I am still more optimistic than I ever was before I started. I have my derm appointment next week. I am really nervous for some reason!

Side effects: No new ones. My face skin is drying out more, and my hair is much less oily. I have been experiencing occasional joint pain, but it's only bothersome in the mornings when I am more stiff. My lips are still really dry but they are not getting worse, which is fine by me. Nothing else for now... I am just keeping my fingers crossed that this outbreak will resolve as quickly as it is appearing.

Edited by megtree, 16 January 2014 - 12:47 PM.

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#38 PersnickityChick

PersnickityChick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

I love your analogy from the movie. I haven't seen it (I get nightmares very easily), but what you described is perfect.

I am on day 24 or 25, and so far I haven't had an IB, but I keep expecting the acnepocalypse any day now. Really hope these new things will clear up Quickly for you!

#39 megtree

megtree

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

I am on day 24 or 25, and so far I haven't had an IB, but I keep expecting the acnepocalypse any day now. Really hope these new things will clear up Quickly for you!

Oh wow. I love it - EVERYONE RUN, IT'S THE ACNEPOCALYPSE!!!!!

Probiotic - 1 daily

Morning:

Cetaphil cleanser

Night:
Cetaphil Cleanser

#40 geminirock19

geminirock19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I have had almost the exact same situation with nieces and nephews when they hit your chin or cheek and your eyes water in horrific pain (ugh it hurts just thinking about it) I've also had some of the classic, "What are all those red dots on your face aunt Em?" Ego hit for sure, kids are super honest, which is what I adore about them!  

That hits the ego, doesn't it??? Last time I saw my nephew he casually mentioned "You have ouchies all over, Auntie"... I froze and tried to pretend he didn't say it. We were hanging out alone at the time watching a movie so I was glad I was spared the embarassment in front of the rest of the family. I hope I'm clear next time I see them all.

Edited by geminirock19, 16 January 2014 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users