Photo

Any Long-Term Adverse Effect From Multiple Laser Treatments?

laser acne scar adverse effect

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

My advance apology if discussed elsewhere and,if so, would appreciate if somebody could point me in the right direction.

I keep reading success stories with lasers, especially Fraxel Re:pair for deep acne scars. Many have indicated they would repeat the procedure, as many as 4 or 5, in as many months to further improve their initial outcome. Some repeat treatments were in the span of approximately every 3 months.

After the first ablative laser treatment, which involves skin scabbing and peeling, why would you not want to wait until the new skin or epidermis is fully regenerated before undergoing further treatment? Would this not prematurely thin the epidermal layer in the long run and possibly pose other unforseen risks down the road?

#2 acnescar123

acnescar123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

They mainly do the 1-2 month spacing so you're not red for 6 months each time. You can do 3 treatments in 3 months and be red for 9 months total, or do 3 treatments in 18 months and be red for 24 months. Of course, it's probably better to wait the 6 months though- but as far as I know, it's fairly safe to do then in 6-8 week intervals.

Edited by acnescar123, 25 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#3 acnescarsarehell

acnescarsarehell

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think most people (myself included) don't wait to get another treatment because we hate our scars! However, the side effects can be more redness and hyperpigmentation. But I think if you ask the majority of people with scars, they would tell you they would do anything to get rid of them and red skin is not a big deal compared to have pits in your face.

Anytime you do a lot of treatments, the skin does thin. This makes you more susceptible to getting redness and possible hyperpigmentation. This is all temporary and will fade. I have done a lot of lasers (fraxel restore, smooth touch, C02, erbium) and after doing so many my skin would get redder easier. But once again, I rather deal with that than have scarred skin. Hope this helps.

#4 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I hear ya. Having fought many years with my own skin problems, I can definitely relate. My concern was, however, more to do with the long term, and ultimately unforseen, implication or risk from multiple laser procedures--especially within short intervals.

For instance, doctors once thought tobacco was beneficial to human health. That notion has since been trashed.

How about the sun? Nobody thought that prolonged exposure to sun can lead to skin cancer even as close as some 30 years ago. How times have changed.

Asbestos warrant an entire discussion of its own but you get my point. It's always one step too late when the science community realizes what was once thought to be safe is no longer the case. By the time the "new finding" hits tomorrow's headline, you might be dead already.

#5 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

Well I got my first Re:pair in 2008 and I have had no problems. As you can tell by my signature I have had 5 Re:pairs at maximum settings. I spaced mine out pretty well. I would suggest the fall or winter for treatments to minimize sun exposure.

#6 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. So you more or less got one every year at the max setting. First, how much scar improvement do you think you achieved from the inception? Second, have you ran into any skin problem (this includes overall sensitivity, not just to sun exposure)? Finally, does your skin feel thinner?

I had a bad case of sunburn in my high school year (nearly 30 years ago), which looked very similar to those who received the Fraxel Re:pair, and my skin has since been always sensitive. If I were to get 5 re:pair, I'm downright certain my skin would literally melt away.

#7 DudleyDoRight

DudleyDoRight

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

I am probably sitting at 80%. The only difference I can tell is a very slight tightness across the upper cheek area, and then only when I think about it. It actually is a good feeling. I have no problem with the sun.

#8 325world

325world

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have had 7 re:stores at high settings and seen no impact. I started out with thin skin, accutane must have also thinned my skin in 2009, but right now my skin has no problems (other than "mild" acne scars and redness).

In fact tight and thin skin is good, that is the look that models have, defined features and tight cheekbones + jaws are considered attractive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users