Photo

It's the Chemicals, stupid!

vegetarian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 MariaS

MariaS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 23 2004, 10:32 PM)
cleanses are bs.

That's just sad.
No great deed, private or public, has ever been undertaken in a bliss of certainty. - Leon Wieseltier -

#22 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 01:13 PM

Tragic.

#23 Dices15

Dices15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

I Agree. I used to not know what any of the ingredients in my skin care products and food were, but know I eat more naturally foods and use all natural soap on my skin and I a 100% clear.
John 15:7 "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#24 l33tpete

l33tpete

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:11 PM

If you eat at McDonalds three times a week, or find other ways to stuff your face with garbage, your face will show it.

what about the people who religiously eat at fast food restaurants and don't break out?

#25 MariaS

MariaS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:18 PM

I don't get what the damn mystery is about people who eat shit all day and don't break out. Their genes just make then that way. That doesn't mean you have to fuck up your body with McDonalds too. Maybe for those people...their bodies just react to damage in a different way. You know...you get acne, they get heart attacks. Eveyone is different. Acne is a symptom of an underlying problem. Obviously, not everyone gets the same symptoms.
No great deed, private or public, has ever been undertaken in a bliss of certainty. - Leon Wieseltier -

#26 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:27 PM

I have a friend who swears that eliminating additives is what cleared her skin. I never really did...so I can't claim either way. It's hard for me to avoid prepared foods as a student always on the go!! In any case they probably aren't good for you and at best, benign...

#27 l33tpete

l33tpete

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:24 PM

i just realized that my hair pommade contains mineral oil...is it possible that acne can happen even if you put mineral oil stuff on your hair vs your face??

#28 TheGhostofHueyLewis

TheGhostofHueyLewis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2004 - 05:19 PM

Wow, neat to see that what I thought was a relatively innocuous post generated so much discussion. I must admit that it is difficult to find credible, peer-reviewed research that reports my claim. If you’re interested in seeing some studies, you might try this: http://www.inchem.org/pages/jecfa.html

One of the things you won’t find here is a listing of long-term human trials (say 10 years or more) measuring exposure to these chemicals. I think that might be interesting. My point is that while most of these reports say that there is no ‘significant’ increase in health problems (like cancer) for any given additive, the science seems to ignore the possible cumulative effects of eating hundreds of pounds of thousands of these chemicals every year of your life…

The evidence claiming that food additives are safe is less-than-perfect, and NOBODY thinks that this stuff is actually GOOD for you, so why not try to cut additives out if you can? It might help you skin (and the rest of your body), and it certainly won’t hurt. Be an adult—learn to like vegetables.

A note on skin products:
Although food additives are fairly well-regulated in most countries, skin care products are a different story. As long as you can demonstrate that people won’t be killed/hurt by your product, any chemical is pretty much fair game. Mineral oil (which also goes by half a dozen other names) is a waste by-product of the refining of gasoline from crude oil. Since it’s classified as a toxic waste, it costs more to dispose of then to sell for other uses! Most baby oil is 100% mineral oil (and incidentally, significant amounts of the stuff can be found in things like licorice). Again, it’s ‘generally considered as safe’ by the USDA, but check out the MSDS safety sheet: http://www.jtbaker.c...hhtml/m7700.htm

It gets worse. “Natural� skin products are very poorly regulated, and often are nothing more than the same old junk with some sort of herbal additive.

You can’t win, but you can try to play smart. That’s all I was trying to say.

Cheers!