Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheGhostofHueyLewis

It's the Chemicals, stupid!

28 posts in this topic

I have a friend who swears that eliminating additives is what cleared her skin. I never really did...so I can't claim either way. It's hard for me to avoid prepared foods as a student always on the go!! In any case they probably aren't good for you and at best, benign...

i just realized that my hair pommade contains mineral oil...is it possible that acne can happen even if you put mineral oil stuff on your hair vs your face??

Wow, neat to see that what I thought was a relatively innocuous post generated so much discussion. I must admit that it is difficult to find credible, peer-reviewed research that reports my claim. If you’re interested in seeing some studies, you might try this: http://www.inchem.org/pages/jecfa.html

One of the things you won’t find here is a listing of long-term human trials (say 10 years or more) measuring exposure to these chemicals. I think that might be interesting. My point is that while most of these reports say that there is no ‘significant’ increase in health problems (like cancer) for any given additive, the science seems to ignore the possible cumulative effects of eating hundreds of pounds of thousands of these chemicals every year of your life…

The evidence claiming that food additives are safe is less-than-perfect, and NOBODY thinks that this stuff is actually GOOD for you, so why not try to cut additives out if you can? It might help you skin (and the rest of your body), and it certainly won’t hurt. Be an adultâ€â€learn to like vegetables.

A note on skin products:

Although food additives are fairly well-regulated in most countries, skin care products are a different story. As long as you can demonstrate that people won’t be killed/hurt by your product, any chemical is pretty much fair game. Mineral oil (which also goes by half a dozen other names) is a waste by-product of the refining of gasoline from crude oil. Since it’s classified as a toxic waste, it costs more to dispose of then to sell for other uses! Most baby oil is 100% mineral oil (and incidentally, significant amounts of the stuff can be found in things like licorice). Again, it’s ‘generally considered as safe’ by the USDA, but check out the MSDS safety sheet: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m7700.htm

It gets worse. “Natural� skin products are very poorly regulated, and often are nothing more than the same old junk with some sort of herbal additive.

You can’t win, but you can try to play smart. That’s all I was trying to say.

Cheers!