Photo

It's the Chemicals, stupid!

vegetarian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 TheGhostofHueyLewis

TheGhostofHueyLewis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:28 PM

After struggling with acne for at least 6 years, I have finally found a free and easy 'treatment' that works for me.

Here it is:

Eliminate Chemicals!
That's it. Just stop putting so much crap into/onto your body. It's that simple.

Eliminate chemicals:
1) from what you eat
2) from what you put on your skin

1) Food additives irritate your skin (and cause a host of other problems like cancer, kidney damage, behavioural problems, etc.). Now you really can't eliminate all food additives from your diet, but if you simply try to avoid buying stuff with a list of ingredients you can't pronounce, you can go a long way. (Incidentally, the average person eats their body weight in synthetic food additives each year...yikes!) If you eat at McDonalds three times a week, or find other ways to stuff your face with garbage, your face will show it. A low-fat, high-fibre, mainly vegetarian diet is best, but the key is to eliminate prepared foods. (Also, drink way more water).

2) Check the ingredient list for your skin care products. Chances are, there are about 20-30 ingredients--and chances are, water is the only one you recognize for sure. Try eliminating these chemicals! I now use two products only: 1) pure soap (Ivory, right now) 2)100% pure Aloe Vera Gel as a (moisturizer/aftershave) [I can already hear the objections..."that will dry my face out!!" The soap might for about a week, so use some extra aloe for a while. Once your face adjusts (and it might take a while if you have used a chem. cocktail for years...) you won't have a problem.

Does this work? It worked for me, it worked for my girlfriend, and it worked for people we have shared this with. It's been 15 weeks now, and while I have had the occasional small pimple, (one every few weeks or less), I am able to tolerate them like a normal person.

I hate to say it (after seeing all of the time and effort put into regimes and potions here) but--for most people--the solution may be just that simple.

Cheers

#2 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE(TheGhostofHueyLewis @ Oct 22 2004, 02:28 PM)
After struggling with acne for at least 6 years, I have finally found a free and easy 'treatment' that works for me.

Here it is:

Eliminate Chemicals!
That's it. Just stop putting so much crap into/onto your body. It's that simple.

Eliminate chemicals:
1) from what you eat
2) from what you put on your skin

1) Food additives irritate your skin (and cause a host of other problems like cancer, kidney damage, behavioural problems, etc.). Now you really can't eliminate all food additives from your diet, but if you simply try to avoid buying stuff with a list of ingredients you can't pronounce, you can go a long way. (Incidentally, the average person eats their body weight in synthetic food additives each year...yikes!) If you eat at McDonalds three times a week, or find other ways to stuff your face with garbage, your face will show it. A low-fat, high-fibre, mainly vegetarian diet is best, but the key is to eliminate prepared foods. (Also, drink way more water).

2) Check the ingredient list for your skin care products. Chances are, there are about 20-30 ingredients--and chances are, water is the only one you recognize for sure. Try eliminating these chemicals! I now use two products only: 1) pure soap (Ivory, right now) 2)100% pure Aloe Vera Gel as a (moisturizer/aftershave) [I can already hear the objections..."that will dry my face out!!" The soap might for about a week, so use some extra aloe for a while. Once your face adjusts (and it might take a while if you have used a chem. cocktail for years...) you won't have a problem.

Does this work? It worked for me, it worked for my girlfriend, and it worked for people we have shared this with. It's been 15 weeks now, and while I have had the occasional small pimple, (one every few weeks or less), I am able to tolerate them like a normal person.

I hate to say it (after seeing all of the time and effort put into regimes and potions here) but--for most people--the solution may be just that simple.

Cheers

View Post

You forget the most important one, free radicals.

#3 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:46 PM

And I'd love to see solid data saying that food additives cause kidney damage, cancer, and behavioral problems. But I do think drinking lots of water can cure acne in lots of people.

#4 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

I didn't and am not going to read that, but diet is related to acne.

#5 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 06:41 PM

Here you go ben.
http://www.becomehea...e/dietbad/31/1/
There's 4 pages here of the safeness of additives. They are all backed by studies. On page 4 there is a list of previously banned additives in the US. If this list were in other coutnries, it would be much longer, but in the US the food industry has so much clout that unless there's a 100% risk of causing cancer or organ damage, the FDA won't ban it(although it strongly recommends that many commonly used additives be avoided as much as possible such as many dyes). The list by the FDA is called the GRAS list.

I agree with you on a lot of stuff but not this. If you're skeptical about the source, just go to any university and access medical databases and find hundreds of studies that have proved that many additives pose risk.

Another example is Bill 273 passed in New Mexico recently. It is to enact another committee top oversee and test more thuroughly, the additives that the FDA approves.

Here's an example of an additive that the FDA approves. Aspertame. When digested aspertame turns into formaldehyde and does irreparable and permanent harm to all of your mitochondria and thus, to your entire nervous system.

saccharin, repeatedly shown to cause cancer in lab animals and formerly considered a carcinogen, was recently removed from the NTP list of cancer-causing chemicals;

the preservative butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is listed as "reasonably anticipated" to be a human carcinogen on the National Toxicology Program (NTP) listing of known and suspected carcinogens, but it remains approved for use in food by the FDA

You can be skeptical of many of hte claims that certain foods or additives are harmful, no, you should be. However, you can't be that naive that when piss poor and limited reasearch goes into testing one of these additives, and than the FDA approves it, that it's safe.

Oh ya, heres another little gem from the FDA. ALl additives deemed safe by the high standards of 1958 science(anything considered safe and tested proir to 1958), are not tested today for harmful effects.

#6 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Try giving me a site backed by actual doctors and I'll be sure to read all about it.

#7 beautifulskingirl

beautifulskingirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:10 PM

Speaking of the FDA, they do not regulate the cosmetic industry either. 98% of the skin care products out there are mineral oil based. Why, because it's cheap...5 cents a gallon. Mineral oil has been termed a carcinogen by the World Health Organization. It comes off the tankers as crude oil, refined down to gasoline, refined further to vasloline, even further to mineral oil. I don't care how refined it is, it's still a petrol chemical. There's no mystery here.

It is also an Occlusive oil. Meaning, the molecular structure is too big and will not completely penetrate the skin. It has been termed "saran wrap" on the skin. Sits on the surface and leaches moisture from your body.

Remember, the skin is one of the largest organs of the body. You wouldn't wrap your heart in saran wrap, would you? That is what 99% of you on this site with all of these terrible problems are doing to your first line of defense...resulting in the destruction of your acid mantle.

This vital organ needs to breath...function properly: bring moisture in, release toxins. When you use mineral oil based products, you are distrupting the functions of the skin and allowing a carcinogen to enter into the blood stream.

Scientific fact: When anything comes in contact with your skin, ONE OF YOUR LARGEST ORGANS, in less than 26 seconds it is in your blood stream and circulating throughout your organs, not being filtered by the liver. Do this test: take a clove of garlic, peel it, put a piece in between your toes. In minutes, you will taste garlic. It enters into the bloodstream, the heart pumps it over once, and you will taste it. I cook w/a TON of garlic, took me 10 min. to taste it! Fascinating. True.

So, my advice is to become a label reader. if you do not see mineral oil or petrolatum on the box, buyer beware! That's the mentallity of the FDA! The only state in the union that i know of where their government does regulate labeling, is in California. They have what is called PROP 65. This is a 60 page document listing over 3000 raw materials in the environment that have been shown to be carcinogenic. If you use any of these raw materials in your product and you manufacture in California, you fall under the regulatory of PROP 65 and you MUST list the material on your label. That's why you'll see much of the cosmetic industry go to Nevada, Utah, NY, ect...

My advice, get off the mineral oil. Get on a supplement that cleanses the colon several times a week (make sure your supplements meet the U.S.Pharmocopeia disintigration time standards of 20-30 minutes. how to test this is put your supplements in apple cider vinegar...if they do not dissolve w/in this time, you are pooping them and your money down the drain).

Buy a product that is botanically based.
Make sure it is manufactured in California.

I know of a product, however, i'm not sure it's proper to advertise in this forum. Contact me if you would like to know more.

Many Blessings,
Su

#8 Denise2

Denise2

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

wacko.gif eusa_wall.gif idea.gif

#9 modest mouse

modest mouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:16 PM

dude you've gotta be kidding me. i cant believe the sort of stuff that you argue with. you actually believe that additives and chemicals are not bad for you? i dont even need studies, its just common sense. and if your against all this holistic mumbo jumbo then what makes you think that water is so good for you and helped cure your acne?? believe it or not but drinking a lot of water is, in itself, a mild liver and bowel cleanse. whoooooo

#10 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:33 PM

Agreed.

#11 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:41 PM

No -- drinking water is something every mammal should do but that humans neglect to do. It is not a "liver cleanse" as much as peeing everyday isn't a kidney cleanse or going to the bathroom isn't a colon cleanse. It's normal function. I think there's a connection between drinking water and relieving skin-level edema that can lead to acne.

The acid mantle is a joke -- it's the equivalent of downshifting for anyone into neurology.

"Remember, the skin is one of the largest organs of the body. You wouldn't wrap your heart in saran wrap, would you? That is what 99% of you on this site with all of these terrible problems are doing to your first line of defense...resulting in the destruction of your acid mantle."

Well no -- that's different. Your skin's function is to be abused by the elements -- your heart is under the skin for that reason. Great analogy, though...

#12 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

Nice choice in bands. I saw Modest Mouse a couple of times.

#13 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 23 2004, 02:41 AM)
No -- drinking water is something every mammal should do but that humans neglect to do. It is not a "liver cleanse" as much as peeing everyday isn't a kidney cleanse or going to the bathroom isn't a colon cleanse. It's normal function. I think there's a connection between drinking water and relieving skin-level edema that can lead to acne.

The acid mantle is a joke -- it's the equivalent of downshifting for anyone into neurology.

"Remember, the skin is one of the largest organs of the body. You wouldn't wrap your heart in saran wrap, would you? That is what 99% of you on this site with all of these terrible problems are doing to your first line of defense...resulting in the destruction of your acid mantle."

Well no -- that's different. Your skin's function is to be abused by the elements -- your heart is under the skin for that reason. Great analogy, though...

View Post

Your saying our skin was made to be abused by elements? eusa_think.gif K

#14 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:13 AM

Yup. It was.

#15 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:02 AM

I agree with ghost,i thought people knew this already?.

that's why white/green tea helps acne...it cleans the crap from your insides out i think.

#16 Pika

Pika

boobs

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:33 AM

Eat five servings of fruit a day, three servings of apples. Also cleans out the crap from your insides.

#17 modest mouse

modest mouse

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:49 AM

why do you think it is recommended and necessary to drink water every day? it helps wash out the gunk and shit from you and keeps you regular which is the same purpose as the cleanses.

#18 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 04:32 PM

No -- water hydrates your cells. The body is made to work with water which helps dilute metabolic wastes so your body can run more efficiently. What you're saying is, "Oh -- water helps cleanse you..." Well that makes it sound as if it's an extra. Water simply helps you do what you're supposed to do; cleanses are bs.

#19 OzPower

OzPower

Arrogant Australian who talks to much :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:23 AM

This thread should be pinned, great amusement value smile.gif

You never cease to bore me Ben and for that you deserve a gold medal.

Interesting fact on water guys, the water that we consume should contain H202 (hydrogen peroxide) which occurs naturally from the ozone layer on rainwater, snow. It is one of natures miracle cures as it oxydises(sp) bacterial, yeast, viral, fungal components (destroys them) into an easy form for the body to eliminate. However the way we consume water these days, don't count on getting any h202 in any water you consume these days, it's long gone and chlorine reacts badly with h202 rendering it useless.

Other good natural sources of H202 are in raw fruits and veggies smile.gif
Processed foods are dead containing nadda.
From what i believe,

4 oxygen particles = ozone
3 " = h202
2 " = oxygen
1 " = free radical

Note all of the above in way way or another disable most problems known to mankind, oxygen is our lifesafer. One more interesting note is, our air these days in city areas is as low as 10% ogygen, whereas ideally it should be 20%, doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise it's just another thing thats making us reallllllllly sick.

Lol, i also want to add, our bodies produce H202 naturally as well to defend from bad food we eat, pullutants we inhale etc etc BUT as i say above, we make it very very hard to do our job.

oh oh, benzol peroxide (think that stuff you use on your face) also uses oxydisation to destroy bacteria.

So if you find this intesresting, do your research on ozone therapies, H202 and general oxygen therapies in general, from what i read it can and does save millions of lives from curing cancer, destroying aids virus, destroying candida overgrowth, curing skin conditions etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Hope someone found that interesting, just learning about it myself.

#20 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:21 AM

Yeah, great post. Just one problem -- Ozone is O3. Nice try, though.

PS: Ozone is also poisonous.