62 replies to this topic

#41 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Day 186

A couple of days into month seven and just over 26 weeks down. Still not clear. Very frustrated and disheartened. Got around 7 actives/healing on my left jawline, 2 on my right. They're not too big or vicious but it's still acne. Wondering if it's going to happen for me and I just gotta wait a bit longer. How much longer though, past the 6 month point now?

Anybody got any ideas/reassurance as to why I still have not cleared up?

I might email my derm and ask whether I should be concerned to still be breaking out at this point.

#42 Kim0728

Kim0728

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, watching movies, wine tasting and skin care (I'm a reluctant skin care news/info maven)

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

Are you only taking 60 mg a week? That may be why you are not seeing progress. It's such a low dose.

#43 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:33 PM

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I started on 60mg/week for the first 8 weeks, then 100mg/week for the next 3 months and now 20mg/day for almost 6 weeks. Admittedly the doses are low but 6 months is a long time.

Are you only taking 60 mg a week? That may be why you are not seeing progress. It's such a low dose.

#44 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I started on 60mg/week for the first 8 weeks, then 100mg/week for the next 3 months and now 20mg/day for almost 6 weeks. Admittedly the doses are low but 6 months is a long time.

hey JJ i kinda have good experience with low dosing. 60 mg a week for 6 months is a long time! you should be seeing some good effects. 

the best way to tell if it's working is checking your oil levels and texture of your skin. if your oil levels are down and your skin is smooth, then it is working! 

If long term accutane does not work for u, i suggest trying Retin A. It closes pores and increases skin renewal, and you can take it forever. It does nearly the same thing as accutane and what you and I are after. good luck in whatever course you take!

I started Retin A in hopes that i get more consistent results. With low dose accutane, it worked for me cuz it lowered my oil levels but I would still get breakouts now and then. hoping that this retin a stuff will give me 100%.

#45 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I think you should give it a little longer. It's not completely unusual, as you're not even taking half as much as a regular course, and it often takes 3-5 months to see real progress that way.

Otherwise I suppose you could try upping your dose, even if only until you clear up, and then lower it back down? Or you could introduce a topical if your skin isn't too dry - a tretinoin type thing or a BP type thing to add to your routine? I still think you should wait a bit longer to see what happens with what you're trying now.

Hoping for good news!

#46 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. I emailed my derm and he said to bump it up slightly. I will now be taking 20mg/day 4 days out of the week and 30mg/day 3 days out of the week. My skin is dry on tane I don't think it could handle a topical on top. If this doesn't work I'm not sure where to go. I put a lot of faith into the Accutane working so if it doesn't it feels pretty dire. My mood and optimism regarding my skin really is at rock bottom right now. Tretinoin or a different retinoid like tazorac would be probably the only thing left. I always thought Accutane was a more effective retinoid than them though, so if Accutane doesn't work I feel like they won't either. I have tried differin before with disastrous results.

Thanks for the support, means a lot.

#47 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

Day 191 (I think)

New zit popped up today left side of my mouth. Other stuff healing. No end to breakouts in sight it would seem. Was feeling a bit more positive but seeing yet another new zit pop up has taken my mood straight back down to rock bottom.

#48 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:26 PM

I hate that new zit!

Hang in there. You just bumped up the dose, right?

Today I was depressed about my scarring. I have to remind myself that on the global scale of life sucking, mine is not so bad.

Damn you, fluorescent lights!

It will get better for both of us.

#49 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Day 208

Almost at the 7 month mark. I have 20mg tablets so I've been taking 20mg/day 5 days of the week and 40mg/day 2 days of the week. My skin has been better and it seems like I've almost stopped breaking out. Although I've been at this point before so I'm still cautious. I'm getting less of the non-inflamed stuff on my forehead although I do have a couple there ATM. I am getting the occasional zit pop up on my cheeks or jawline but they tend to be either non-inflamed or only small and inflamed. The only real inflamed spot I have right now is a clogged pore right under my lip which had been clogged for weeks and now has finally got inflamed.

If I do stop breaking out completely, I will then have to see what the next step is. I would probably prefer to see if I can taper down to a low maintenance dose as I don't reckon I'll get remission.

As for side effects, dry lips and skin and my skin is fragile. I get scratches easily on my body.

#50 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:13 AM

Got another new inflamed zit that has sprung up at the corner of my mouth on the left hand side. Meh. Face please stop breaking out!!!!

#51 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

I hate those ones on the side of the mouth.

Overall, things sound better, though, no?

Yesterday was my birthday and I got proposed to! Nice to not be thinking about acne at the time, lol. It was a long time coming, we have lived together for ten years already and have a five year old son. Still nice to finally hear it.

Now to hope I can schedule a quick wedding in case the ol' acne comes back when my course is over in a month or so. Funny how whether it is active or not, it's still always there.

Looking forward to your next update. I have a good feeling about this new dose!

#52 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2014 - 03:35 AM

Day 216 Saturday 31st May

Still breaking out. I gotta say my patience and optimism is wearing extremely thin. I'm now into month 8 so if I don't stop breaking out very soon, I'm afraid it simply isn't going to happen.

At present I have around 2 healing inflamed pustules on both sides of my jawline. The pustule on my chin is still flattening out and is very red. The spot that was on the left corner of my mouth died in a couple of days and I have just got another one on the right hand side of my mouth which is one of the ouchy ones. I'm getting tiny non- inflamed spots on both of my cheeks and forehead still.

#53 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:40 AM

I am sorry that this has not been the most predictable ride.  I've been there last year when my course of accutane never helped my acne the way i expected it to.  A year later and I am back to square one.  Whats your reasoning for not doing a full course?  Keep positive as sometimes it takes being off the medicine for a while to see more progress.  Also, while accutane manipulates the structure of your pores and oil production, those are not the only factors in acne.  Have you looked at diet changes and such?

Hopefully you'll find relief soon

#54 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

I hate those ones on the side of the mouth.

Overall, things sound better, though, no?

Yesterday was my birthday and I got proposed to! Nice to not be thinking about acne at the time, lol. It was a long time coming, we have lived together for ten years already and have a five year old son. Still nice to finally hear it.

Now to hope I can schedule a quick wedding in case the ol' acne comes back when my course is over in a month or so. Funny how whether it is active or not, it's still always there.

Looking forward to your next update. I have a good feeling about this new dose!

Hi Kim,

Late reply to this, apologies. I broke my arm and have been avoiding typing as it's a real pain. Congrats on your engagement, that's great! How long have you got left on your course and how is it going?

I think my skin is better but I am still breaking out! I am now at day 232. I'm getting flattish red lumps on my jawline and occasional small pimples around my mouth. Also still getting small papules, comedones and whiteheads on my cheeks and foreheads.

I have another derm appointment next week which will mark almost 8 months on tane. I'm feeling pretty terrified about it to be honest. I'm hoping I can just stay on this dose and then taper down to a maintenance dose if/when I get clear. I'm not sure if my derm will prescribe me a maintenance dose and I'm also worried that if i'm still breaking out a touch on just over 20mg/day I'm worried a lower maintenance dose won't curb breakouts.

Anyhow, thanks again for the message/support over my journey.

I am sorry that this has not been the most predictable ride.  I've been there last year when my course of accutane never helped my acne the way i expected it to.  A year later and I am back to square one.  Whats your reasoning for not doing a full course?  Keep positive as sometimes it takes being off the medicine for a while to see more progress.  Also, while accutane manipulates the structure of your pores and oil production, those are not the only factors in acne.  Have you looked at diet changes and such?

Hopefully you'll find relief soon

hi sasch

Thanks for the message/support.  I have tried some diet things like paleo/low gi but haven't noticed a change. I hope you find something that works, I'm male but spiro seems pretty good. Not sure what else to try if this fails. I have very little resolve left after more than 18 years of this disease.

#55 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:14 PM

Day 238

Almost 8 months down now. Skin has been doing pretty well, but then bang today I woke up with a new, medium sized inflamed spot on my right jawline. Other than that I have no real inflammatory actives to speak of. Still getting non-inflammatory and some tiny papules on my forehead and cheeks. I have a derm review this week.

#56 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Sounds promising.

Slow and steady wins the race!

I am in the last few days of my course now. I'm going to miss the security of taking it every day. Here's hoping we both make it through the next little while with some great successes.

:)

#57 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Into month 9 now. Had my derm review, I've been bumped up slightly to 30mg/day for the next few months. I'm breaking out a little bit again which I find confusing. A couple of small inflamed ones under my lip on the left hand side. A small pustule on my right cheek. A small inflamed spot near my left cheekbone up high. And quite a number of closed comedones on my cheeks and jawline.

Meh, it looks like I might need to face the reality that Accutane is not going to completely control my acne. Which sucks because my acne has a propensity to scar so it would be lovely not to get any. But life is unkind, one would think 18 years of acne would be enough to suffer, but no we continue to break out. I might have to look at a maintenance dose plus topical. Dunno, although my current treatment is doing a good job, it's not quite cutting it. Options are limited, sigh.

#58 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Into month 9 now. Had my derm review, I've been bumped up slightly to 30mg/day for the next few months. I'm breaking out a little bit again which I find confusing. A couple of small inflamed ones under my lip on the left hand side. A small pustule on my right cheek. A small inflamed spot near my left cheekbone up high. And quite a number of closed comedones on my cheeks and jawline.

Meh, it looks like I might need to face the reality that Accutane is not going to completely control my acne. Which sucks because my acne has a propensity to scar so it would be lovely not to get any. But life is unkind, one would think 18 years of acne would be enough to suffer, but no we continue to break out. I might have to look at a maintenance dose plus topical. Dunno, although my current treatment is doing a good job, it's not quite cutting it. Options are limited, sigh.

Have you thought about going on a regular course and try maintaining with topicals after?  I also did 3 courses and i found that topicals worked much better after my last course.  I was pretty clear from using the Regimen but developed eczema so I had to stop.  I don't hink accutane is a cure for the majority of people, it just buys us time.

Good Luck JJ

#59 GetMeTheResults

GetMeTheResults

Taking the plunge with Accutane

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:After spending my whole summer on tazorac, doxy and birth control pills I'm ready to kick start the semester with accutane and a new dermatologist.

History:
    8-9 years use of Duac and Differin that kept me relatively clear, but never 100% except on a rare occasion.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

I wish you had some progress pics. I'm getting on the low dose soon and I can't help but wonder if you're exaggerating that things are that bad at month 9 or if a low dose is really not working.....

#60 JJ

JJ

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hi leelowe

I'm not sure about doing a regular course, I'm not sure if it would work better than a low dose course. The research I did seemed to indicate that it worked as well as traditional higher dose courses but as yet I am still breaking out, whereas on my 2 traditional courses I stopped. I did relapse shortly afterwards both times though. Thanks for the well wishes.

Have you thought about going on a regular course and try maintaining with topicals after?  I also did 3 courses and i found that topicals worked much better after my last course.  I was pretty clear from using the Regimen but developed eczema so I had to stop.  I don't hink accutane is a cure for the majority of people, it just buys us time.

Good Luck JJ

Hi getmetheresults. I wouldn't say it isn't working as such. I only posted that one picture, but it's off a phone and you can't see it well at all. To try and explain it as accurately as I can, the reason I am disenchanted is that I haven't completely stopped breaking out. I didn't have much active acne at the start of my course (it was already well controlled). I have always only had a few actives , it's just every time they heal up new ones spring up.  I can't get completely clear and stay that way. I was almost completely clear at the start of my course, I just haven't seemed to progress to totally clear and staying that way and it's frustrating because it's been more than 8 months. I'm sure you'll have great results from low dose and I wish you the best of luck.

I wish you had some progress pics. I'm getting on the low dose soon and I can't help but wonder if you're exaggerating that things are that bad at month 9 or if a low dose is really not working.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users