gut flora leaky gut acne pimples

44 replies to this topic

#41 CK19

CK19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

My current diet (no milk, no sugar, minimal whole grains, no processed grains) took several weeks before I saw real results, but once my skin started to clear, it just got better and better. In theory, a pimple is the end result of a process that can take days or even weeks or months. If you've changed your diet for the better (avoiding high GI foods and milk like the plague) and haven't seen results yet, give it time. If you're still eating high GI foods (yes, whole grains are still high GI), then stop and wait another couple weeks to see if the situation improves. Once my skin cleared up, I've been able to add small amounts of whole grains back into my diet. However, that was only after my insulin response/acne had been under control for several months without change. If you're still breaking out, keep omitting foods (cutting carbs and grains first) until it gets better. No joke, at one point I ate steamed fish with brocolli for an entire week because I wasn't sure what was breaking me out. It takes a while to figure yourself out.

Edit: I should also note that it's not just about what you don't eat. Including LOADS of anti-inflammatory foods like broccoli, leafy greens, fish, beets, carrots, coconut milk, and turmeric (curried fish with bamboo shoots, anyone?), can vastly improve the outcome of elimination diets. Getting rid of foods is just the first step. You have to eat for health if you really want to see an improvement in your skin.

Thanks for this. I've been eating quinoa cause I need carbs, and it's healthy. Should I experiment cutting that out? I don't do milk or really anything that's high GI.

The thing is I have so much food I can't eat because I did a blood test for foods I'm intolerant to. Most fish meals are among them. I've ate pretty healthy with a lot of veggies and fruits, and pork (the only meat I can eat as well). Been also taking supplements to repair the gut and probiotics as well.

By real results, do you mean like no breakouts for several days, or it just stop completely?

#42 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

You might have a sensitivity to ALL carbohydrates right now. I didn't touch any kinds of seeds or grains for months. Quinoa isn't bad for you, per se, but it is a carbohydrate. I'd give it up and see what happens. I'm surprised that you are intolerant to fish, since fish is very anti-inflammatory and most people tolerate it quite well. It's one of my best foods. When my diet was right, my skin cleared completely. I no longer break out unless I eat one or more of my trigger foods (like having a big glass of milk with graham crackers, for example). It's a myth that you need carbohydrates. Humans can survive quite well on an all-animal diet (not that I recommend that). Make sure you only get carbohydrate from vegetable sources, but minimize white potato. It's very starchy. Sweet potato is okay, but again, not too much of that either. Try to get most of your nutrition from vegetable sources. Vegetables and vegetable juice have really helped my skin. I'd be careful with pork. If it is not organic/uncured, it can be a pretty unhealthy meat (factory farmed pork is filthy). Pork loin and shoulder are fine, but I'd definitely avoid fatty, cured meats like bacon and fatback.

I'm not normally one to advocate a 100% vegetarian diet, but for you, it might be a good thing to try on a temporary basis. I occasionally veg-fast where I only drink vegetable juice or eat vegetables and fruits for a week or two to detox and give my gut a break (like after I've been ill, or if I just feel poorly). A vegetable juice fast might help your liver to detox. It also gives your intestines a break, and feeds beneficial flora. I don't take many supplements, but Borage oil is very beneficial for the skin, as well as vit D.

Edited by dscully, 19 February 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#43 CK19

CK19

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

The difficult thing is that I'm a male and go to the gym often to do weights, so don't want to eliminate carbs. I don't eat bacon and what not. Mostly pork loins, chops, etc. and I grab them from a butcher where the meat is free range and hormone free. I eat a lot of veggies too but is there any you specifically recommend? Everyday I usually have broccoli, kale, avocado, and cucumbers. I also eat sweet potatoes at times too. There's already so many food I can't eat, and I don't want to lose weight. The fish thing sucks. It's weird because I'm not intolerant to shellfish so I can eat those!

What do you put in your vegetable juice during the fast?

Thanks for the help.

#44 dscully

dscully

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

The difficult thing is that I'm a male and go to the gym often to do weights, so don't want to eliminate carbs. I don't eat bacon and what not. Mostly pork loins, chops, etc. and I grab them from a butcher where the meat is free range and hormone free. I eat a lot of veggies too but is there any you specifically recommend? Everyday I usually have broccoli, kale, avocado, and cucumbers. I also eat sweet potatoes at times too. There's already so many food I can't eat, and I don't want to lose weight. The fish thing sucks. It's weird because I'm not intolerant to shellfish so I can eat those!

What do you put in your vegetable juice during the fast?

Thanks for the help.

I drink vegetable juice throughout the day made from carrots (cal-organic juicing carrots are the best), beets (great for skin), celery (good for weightlifters because it prevents you from retaining water = muscle definition), and sometimes I add powdered wheatgrass or juice Kale (but kale is kindof expensive to juice everyday and I usually skip it). I also sometimes add an apple to my juice (don't add commercial fruit juices to homemade juice because they are pasteurized sugary crap). For a fast, I usually rotate between my usual juice with carrots, beets, celery etc with green juices made with spinach, kale, celery, and an apple for taste. I often add ginger to my juice because it's good for digestive health. In the morning, I add  1 Tbsp psyllium husk powder to a glass of my juice for additional fiber, but juice does already have a lot of fiber, so it's probably overkill. If you are drinking only juice (like on a fast), I do recommend the added fiber as it will help clear you out quicker (sorry, gross).

If you need carbs, get them from sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and other starchy vegetables. Just try not to get your carbs from grains. I highly recommend sweet potatoes for skin health in general, so eat a couple of those throughout the day with a little butter and see if that helps. Or if you want, you could eat your carbs all at once. However you like to load up. I'm not into weight training, so I don't know how it works.

Edited by dscully, 19 February 2014 - 01:02 PM.

#45 FoodCursed

FoodCursed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

I have the same problems as you dskully. I am 23 yr old male with same cystic acne cause by food. Pretty much the only "safe" foods for me are:

bell peppers

plain baked chicken

lettuce

root vegetablees

broiled salmon / tuna

steamed quinoa

blue agave nectar

extra virgin olive oil

I usually stir-fry those things together and eat that for maybe 2 meals out of the day. I also have been using pumpkin seed protein and sacha inchi protein .Brown rice and pea seem to bother me too much :(

It's not about what you are "allergic to". It's more than that. I think there is something wrong with our internal digestive systems. I just ordered some pills called "Seacure" that supposedly helps heal a leaky gut. I'll let you know how it goes... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users