97 replies to this topic

#41 jlcampi

jlcampi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

You should take accutane that could scar

hmmmm.... well seeing as that is a "last resort" kind of drug, has crazy side effects, and doesn't always cure acne--and seeing that I am already seeing results from diet/lifestyle change and gentle skin treatment and haven't tried many other prescription oral or topical products---that is going to be a big NOT GONNA HAPPEN. I would only take it if my acne got really giant cysts and wasn't improving. I already have scars, but that was inevitable. Accutane doesn't reduce scarring--it reduces severe acne. I'm not trying to sound rude, but I just feel really strongly about those kinds of acne treatments.

Can you post your lab results? Docs are notorious for claiming levels are normal when they aren't.
The lab reference range is just the 95% confidence interval of the lab's reference group. Every lab must form their reference range from a reference group, typically a representative sample of their patients. This is why every lab has a different reference range. Since young healthy people don't typically get their labs run, the data is skewed toward the ill, elderly and sick. To be outside of their reference range, your results must be in the low or high 2.5%. To have levels lower than those those, your results must be more than 2 standard deviations from the mean.
The bottom line is this: having results in the lab's reference range does not necessarily mean you don't have a hormonal imbalance.

I think I will go check with medical records to see the results for myself, and maybe see if someone on the forum can help. That is a really good idea. I still think it is a hormonal imbalance, but if I don't know what is dominant or excessive, then I don't want to exasperate the problem by self treatment of the wrong type--does that make sense? 

Of course, it makes complete sense. I also agree that self treatment is not wise.

If you post your results I can give you the optimal, probably deficient and probably excessive values.

With this information you will at leAst know if the problem is hormonal and will have something to chat with your doc about.

I use the Thierry Hertoghe's reference materials. He is a 4th generation endocrinologist and likely the world's foremost expert in hormone replacement. He had has trained more than 5,000 physicians and developed extensive references and materials to support his methodology.

#42 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

Of course, it makes complete sense. I also agree that self treatment is not wise.

If you post your results I can give you the optimal, probably deficient and probably excessive values.

With this information you will at leAst know if the problem is hormonal and will have something to chat with your doc about.

I use the Thierry Hertoghe's reference materials. He is a 4th generation endocrinologist and likely the world's foremost expert in hormone replacement. He had has trained more than 5,000 physicians and developed extensive references and materials to support his methodology.

That sounds great...and pretty legit! haha 
So I found that I could see some of my results online.

It says my TSH is 1.010

Does this mean my thyroid count is lowish or pretty normal?

Tomorrow I will go to medical records and see my other test results.

#43 jlcampi

jlcampi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

That sounds great...and pretty legit! haha 
So I found that I could see some of my results online.

It says my TSH is 1.010[/size]

Does this mean my thyroid count is lowish or pretty normal?Tomorrow I will go to medical records and see my other test results.

TSH is not the best indicator of thyroid function, however 1.0 is considered optimal. Levels above 2.5 could indicate a deficiency.

Your photo doesn't indicate any signs of deficiency. Doubtful thyroid is a problem.

#44 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

ok... so the online chart keeps updating at weird times. This time my vitamin D levels are shown

This was what it says

1,25-DIHYDROXYVITAMIN D, S   53

I'm wondering if that is ok???

and then the DHEA one

DEHYDROEPIANDROSTERONE SULFATE, S   210

Edited by brennaj, 17 December 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#45 kelseylee

kelseylee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hey--just reading through this whole thing. wow, so much to say here. First, it can make you more obsessive but i think its a good idea to get those lab results. I was blown away when I got mine. And like someone just said, you have to be really defficient or too high for a doctor to say anything. its totally possible to be in the normal range for androgens or testosterone, but still react to them. its all about what's normal for your body. for example, my mom has "never" had a too high or too low lab result in her whole life, including all hormonal tests, but yet shes struggled with hormonal, mild cystic acne for about 45 years (she still gets zits after menopause). so clearly, there's something hormonal going on, its just subtle. you basically have to have pcos before they can tell something is wrong with your hormones. Same with vitamin D like others have said. For me, acne was a combination of about a hundred things, not just vit d deficiency or just this or that. that said, adding a vit d supplement was just one more part of the puzzle that made me feel better. it also contributes to mood, obviously, which for me, along with hormones, explains all my skin issues (i also get ezcema sometimes). anyway, blah blah, but i know its overwhelming when you first get a lab. however, right on the lab they will have the highs and lows indicated near your score. so for vit d it will say e.g. a score of 50 (i forget what the units are) and then show you that the healthy range is 30-90, or whatever. so you would see you are in the middle ish. for someone like u who is so affected by sunlight, i would think it best to get your vit d pretty high. I think I heard above 50 is ideal. I totally get the whole diet thing and not being able to restrict your diet that much and truly most people's acne is a problem far larger than diet. that said, i never in my life had acne until i started consuming larger amounts of sugar. i went thru a period of depression and happened to be working at a bakery, and ate much more sugar than normal for ~2 years. then i decided to go off birth control and anti depressants after my 2 year sugar party, and broke out for about 8-9 months. so diet did affect my acne...but not in the way I thought. I still eat basically what I want, but I avoid things that have gargantuan amounts of sugar and minimize dairy products (i tested as having a medium dairy allergy). at first i went way crazy with the food stuff and felt like i was coming down with a full blown ED, but i've since rellllllaxed and realized you have to just eat a combo of healthy food you like and junk food you love, 80/20 or whatever.  

you've probably already heard all this. but i wish you the best it sounds to me like you are going to get right to the bottom of this. just keep going, even when it sucks, and you'll find your way through. i just showed my mom pics on my phone of my acne when it was at its worst and we laughed and said omg. at that time, i couldn't have imagined being where i am now. that said, i have a shitty zit on my chin which drug me back here--its like igniting all my ptsd around acne and worrying it could scar. so i went straight to acne.org. XXXXX

I wrote all this before reading the third page. so 53 is pretty good. you could still take a supplement, it would hurt nothing. 1,000 or 2,000 IU a day is a small normal amount that doctors frequently prescribe (my mom's doctor just told her to take 2,000 iu a day). I take a lot more and she thinks i'm crazy. As for the DHEA one, I'm not sure how dhea directly relates to testosterone, i know its responsible for helping produce testosterone and estrogen. So possibly your DHEA could be normal but there still could be a hormonal component. Did you get your free testosterone checked? mine was clinically elevated and therein lied most my probs. 

Oh and one more thing--I think the fact that you hate where you live speaks volumes. I HATED where i was in my life, for really the first time, when all these problems started brewing. Anxiety is also heavily correlated with my acne. I think I already said that but i can't emphasize it enough. There is some weird holistic stuff which i take with a grain of salt that says acne is a representation of anger and frustration, something like that. you've seen thelovevitamin--you know what i'm talkin bout. i do think there's some truth to that stuff tho---if you contrast your experience in italy w/living in a small town you dislike, its pretty evident. hopefully when you move to chicago that will be much better for your mind and skin! I was so f'd up I had to move home to heal myself, and still had acne for several months here until it calmed down and i felt at home.

Edited by kelseylee, 18 December 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#46 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

I wrote all this before reading the third page. so 53 is pretty good. you could still take a supplement, it would hurt nothing. 1,000 or 2,000 IU a day is a small normal amount that doctors frequently prescribe (my mom's doctor just told her to take 2,000 iu a day). I take a lot more and she thinks i'm crazy. As for the DHEA one, I'm not sure how dhea directly relates to testosterone, i know its responsible for helping produce testosterone and estrogen. So possibly your DHEA could be normal but there still could be a hormonal component. Did you get your free testosterone checked? mine was clinically elevated and therein lied most my probs. 

Oh and one more thing--I think the fact that you hate where you live speaks volumes. I HATED where i was in my life, for really the first time, when all these problems started brewing. Anxiety is also heavily correlated with my acne. I think I already said that but i can't emphasize it enough. There is some weird holistic stuff which i take with a grain of salt that says acne is a representation of anger and frustration, something like that. you've seen thelovevitamin--you know what i'm talkin bout. i do think there's some truth to that stuff tho---if you contrast your experience in italy w/living in a small town you dislike, its pretty evident. hopefully when you move to chicago that will be much better for your mind and skin! I was so f'd up I had to move home to heal myself, and still had acne for several months here until it calmed down and i felt at home.

I don't really remember all the tests that they did, but like I said, I am going to the medical records office to see ALL the results and then go from there.

Thankfully...and basically all of a sudden...I haven't been getting any new breakouts for a few days (knock on wood), which for me is a miracle in and of itself, as I have gotten steady breakouts everyday for months. I think it is a combination of a lot of factors. I just finished the semester after going to a horrible community college (THANK GOODNESS), I changed my skincare and hygiene routine, and I think the diet is starting to kick in. I think one of the biggest factors that I have nearly eliminated is the tap water and the stress of hating this place so much. I know that I am moving away in just a few weeks away, so now I am just enjoying the time I have with my family. The tap water was a bit more difficult to eliminate, but I realized that every time I showered/washed my face when on vacation in other states, I never got new breakouts.  I started washing with distilled water at home, and realized how my face never got inflamed. Crazy how something as basic as the water we use on our skin can affect us in a negative way. I started taking just vitamin D and cod liver oil am going to continue use of it, not just for my skin, but for the health my bone and immune system. I am just terrified of this hyperpigmentation.... it is all over my face and is not seeming to fade... It looks like acne, but no, just red marks. Once I am sure my acne is under control, I am going to look into hyperpigmentation remedies (but do it carefully, mind you ;) )

#47 jlcampi

jlcampi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

ok... so the online chart keeps updating at weird times. This time my vitamin D levels are shown

This was what it says

and then the DHEA one

your doc ordered the incorrect analyte for vit D.  We want to know 

25-hydroxyvitamin D, not 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin d.

DHEA Sulfate is low, nearing the deficiency level of 200. 

What are your estradiol, progesterone, free/total testosterone and cortisol levels?

Since acne is caused by elevated testosterone, you either have elevated ovarian testosterone or one of the hormones that oppose testosterone are deficient.  I'm still wondering about cortisol since your DHEA is on the low side.  When things are working correctly, you produce equal amounts of DHEA and cortisol.  Since DHEA is near the deficient level, Cortisol may also be mildly deficient.  

#48 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm glad you stopped getting new acne. It sounds like stress is a big trigger for you, so the best thing to do is minimize the things that cause you stress/ anxiety in the first place.

About the tap water...Europe has much better quality tap water than the US, and most EU countries don't put chlorine or fluoride in the water. It sounds like your skin's PH was off. If you find a balancing cleanser, that can help as well, just make sure you avoid anything with sulfates (esp. SLS).

Your vitamin D test didn't seem to test your D3 levels. When I got mine, they gave me a combined result (D2+D3), as well as individual levels. Even though I now raised my D2 levels, my D3 levels are still low. Based on my research, D3 is usually the form of vitamin D that helps the skin...I have been on D2 for months and it helped with my depression but hasn't done much for my skin.

As for all the other supplements and drugs, my advice is not to take anything at the moment since your acne seems to have stopped. Go easy on the hyperpigmentation treatments - sometimes they can cause more acne. I just let my red marks fade on their own or do gentle peels to speed up cell turnover, but I'm not really targeting them too much.

Edited by WishClean, 19 December 2013 - 12:19 AM.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#49 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

This was what it says

and then the DHEA one

your doc ordered the incorrect analyte for vit D.  We want to know 

25-hydroxyvitamin D, not 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin d.

DHEA Sulfate is low, nearing the deficiency level of 200. 

What are your estradiol, progesterone, free/total testosterone and cortisol levels?

Since acne is caused by elevated testosterone, you either have elevated ovarian testosterone or one of the hormones that oppose testosterone are deficient.  I'm still wondering about cortisol since your DHEA is on the low side.  When things are working correctly, you produce equal amounts of DHEA and cortisol.  Since DHEA is near the deficient level, Cortisol may also be mildly deficient.  

Well, I got my testosterone results--apparently two tests were done. 

TESTOSTERONE, FREE, S  0.3 TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, S 28

If I had a mild cortisol deficiency...do you know what could be done for that? Just reducing stress?

I'm glad you stopped getting new acne. It sounds like stress is a big trigger for you, so the best thing to do is minimize the things that cause you stress/ anxiety in the first place.

About the tap water...Europe has much better quality tap water than the US, and most EU countries don't put chlorine or fluoride in the water. It sounds like your skin's PH was off. If you find a balancing cleanser, that can help as well, just make sure you avoid anything with sulfates (esp. SLS).

Your vitamin D test didn't seem to test your D3 levels. When I got mine, they gave me a combined result (D2+D3), as well as individual levels. Even though I now raised my D2 levels, my D3 levels are still low. Based on my research, D3 is usually the form of vitamin D that helps the skin...I have been on D2 for months and it helped with my depression but hasn't done much for my skin.

As for all the other supplements and drugs, my advice is not to take anything at the moment since your acne seems to have stopped. Go easy on the hyperpigmentation treatments - sometimes they can cause more acne. I just let my red marks fade on their own or do gentle peels to speed up cell turnover, but I'm not really targeting them too much.

Well, I broke out again today on my jawline and near my mouth. I do think it is related to stress... but how can I not be stressed? Life is full of it. 

What kinds of peels do you use? My hyperpigmentation is beyond makeup (even though I don't wear makeup anymore because it irritates my skin). It is extremely red and literally all over my face. It doesn't want to go away!!!! But I will look on other forums for it (AFTER I know my acne is gone....like, if my skin goes a couple weeks without even a tiny breakout)

#50 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

This was what it says

and then the DHEA one

DEHYDROEPIANDROSTERONE SULFATE, S   [/size]210[/size]

your doc ordered the incorrect analyte for vit D.  We want to know [/size]
25-hydroxyvitamin D, not 1,25 dihydroxyvitamin d.[/size]

DHEA Sulfate is low, nearing the deficiency level of 200. [/size]

What are your estradiol, progesterone, free/total testosterone and cortisol levels?[/size]

Well, I got my testosterone results--apparently two tests were done. 

TESTOSTERONE, FREE, S  0.3

TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, S

If I had a mild cortisol deficiency...do you know what could be done for that? Just reducing stress?

Well, I broke out again today on my jawline and near my mouth. I do think it is related to stress... but how can I not be stressed? Life is full of it. 
What kinds of peels do you use? My hyperpigmentation is beyond makeup (even though I don't wear makeup anymore because it irritates my skin). It is extremely red and literally all over my face. It doesn't want to go away!!!! But I will look on other forums for it (AFTER I know my acne is gone....like, if my skin goes a couple weeks without even a tiny breakout)
I've been using Aza Clear for almost 3 weeks now. It is SLOWLY fading some of my red hyperpigmentation. Also, I'm on a regime for the mild scaring and hyperpigmentation. I've been doing 30% glycolic peels with IPL. I've only had one IPL and then 2 weeks after that a glycolic peel. I will need atleast 2 more of each. It takes so much time to remove the damage from acne. It sucks. If I could get atleast 40% improvement, I would be happy.
You should look into both of those treatments. Both help with active acne as well.

And also, did they tell you your testosterone was in the normal range? Mine was 51 I believe. Which is mildly high.

Edited by JennaBean, 19 December 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#51 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

I've been using Aza Clear for almost 3 weeks now. It is SLOWLY fading some of my red hyperpigmentation. Also, I'm on a regime for the mild scaring and hyperpigmentation. I've been doing 30% glycolic peels with IPL. I've only had one IPL and then 2 weeks after that a glycolic peel. I will need atleast 2 more of each. It takes so much time to remove the damage from acne. It sucks. If I could get atleast 40% improvement, I would be happy.
You should look into both of those treatments. Both help with active acne as well.

And also, did they tell you your testosterone was in the normal range? Mine was 51 I believe. Which is mildly high.

Aza Clear and glycolic peels.... they sound really harsh. How is your skin holding up?

And they said it was normal.... just getting some second opinions.

Edited by brennaj, 19 December 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#52 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Aza Clear and glycolic peels.... they sound really harsh. How is your skin holding up?

And they said it was normal.... just getting some second opinions.

The aza clear is actually very mild. It's designed for people with sensitive skin and Rosacea. Pretty much every topical makes me dry but this one doesn't. It has moisturizing agents in it. And also, I'm only doing a 30% glycolic peel once a month, which is a mild peel.

#53 hitea

hitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

I have also done a 35% Glycolic acid peel and 35% lactic acid peel-- they're both very mild and don't irritate the skin at all. There is just a tiiiiiny bit of peeling a day or so afterwards (which is easily remedied by moisturizer!). I did them a week ago, and my red marks are lighter in color! A couple more treatments should show an even better improvement! Could be worth considering after you clear your acne!

#54 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:*Professional Editor & Writer * [Contact me for inquiries]
    movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, writing, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:18 AM

If you can find a good esthetician, it's better to get a professional facial. High frequency/ galvanic facials help with inflammation and infections a lot, and there's no downtime. I have also been doing Clear Touch Light treatments with pulsed red light (kind of like a  milder and cheaper form of IPL) and find those very helpful.

I never responded well to peels that tend to work for others, like glycolic and salycylic. My esthetician uses treatments that are not necessarily for acne-prone skin, they just help with overall PH balancing and collagen production. Extractions and red/blue light help too.

Edited by WishClean, 23 December 2013 - 05:19 AM.

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#55 jlcampi

jlcampi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

Brennaj,

Did you have a chance to get your progesterone, estradiol (day 21 of cycle) and morning 8am cortisol checked?

If you have a cortisol deficiency, acth increases to signal the adrenals to release cortisol and dhea. Your dhea is near deficient levels.

Cortisol is released for critical functions as stress management, glucose maintenance, blood pressure maintenance and stimulation of your immune system. Your doc typically uses it in high doses to decrease immune response. It's critical that this hormone is not low or high.

If low, you could have low blood pressure, impaired ability to handle stress, decreased dynamism, anxiety, irritability, fatigue and inflammation among other things.

Acth is released when cortisol is low. If cortisol output remains deficient, then acth increases. As acth increases it stimulates msh (melanocyte stimulating hormone). Msh causes our skin to tan and if in excess, causes hyper-pigmentation. Moles will darken, areas when skin folds such as on the palm of your hand or the area opposite of your elbow will be brownish rather than pink. The skin above the knuckles closest to your hand will look more tan than the fingers when your fingers are straight.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

One more question, when stressed, how do you eat?

#56 hitea

hitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

Hello again. Earlier in this thread, I was told that I might have hypothyroidism due to my facial features in a picture that was taken in the morning. For anyone wondering if I really do have hypothyroidism....no I do not. In fact, I went to the doctor and found that all of my levels that are related to hypothyroidism (and I got them ALL checked) are in the normal range. Therefore, no...my face is not puffy and my eyebrows aren't the way they are due to hypothyroidism. It's just my face. Good day.

tongue.png

Edited by heitea, 30 December 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#57 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Brennaj,

Did you have a chance to get your progesterone, estradiol (day 21 of cycle) and morning 8am cortisol checked?

If you have a cortisol deficiency, acth increases to signal the adrenals to release cortisol and dhea. Your dhea is near deficient levels.

Cortisol is released for critical functions as stress management, glucose maintenance, blood pressure maintenance and stimulation of your immune system. Your doc typically uses it in high doses to decrease immune response. It's critical that this hormone is not low or high.

If low, you could have low blood pressure, impaired ability to handle stress, decreased dynamism, anxiety, irritability, fatigue and inflammation among other things.

Acth is released when cortisol is low. If cortisol output remains deficient, then acth increases. As acth increases it stimulates msh (melanocyte stimulating hormone). Msh causes our skin to tan and if in excess, causes hyper-pigmentation. Moles will darken, areas when skin folds such as on the palm of your hand or the area opposite of your elbow will be brownish rather than pink. The skin above the knuckles closest to your hand will look more tan than the fingers when your fingers are straight.

I hope some of this information is helpful.

One more question, when stressed, how do you eat?

I actually have not had them checked... I am really kind of fed up with doctors. But I might try to see a holistic doctor before I leave for school in Chicago to check my hormones if he returns my calls (been trying to get a hold of him). If I were to have a cortisol problem, what are steps I could take to control it? I don't know if this is relevant at all, but when you said things about msh causing hyperpigmentation, I remembered that for a few months I have developed ashy brown patches on my toe knuckles.... bah who knows, it's probably normal :)

When I am stressed I want to eat chocolate. lots and lots of chocolate. But I am mostly stressed when I am have PMS, so it could just be PMS. Another thing related to PMS is that I have symptoms 2 weeks in advance--irritability, depression, and intense food cravings. Is that related to estrogen, testosterone, or cortisol? Thanks for your reply.

Also, day 21 of my cycle would be the 21st day after the beginning of my period, right?

#58 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

UPDATE:

For those of you still wondering if I took hormone tests, I had my progesterone, estradiol (day 21), and vitamin D (1, 25) levels checked. I got a call today and was told that everything came back normal EXCEPT the vitamin D, in which I was quite deficient. I was prescribed 50,000 IU of prescription strength vitamin D3. I am still thinking about doing the cortisol test, but am not entirely sure if I need to take it.... It is a saliva test which is not covered by my insurance and costs about 100 US dollars. anyway, if, after 8 weeks of taking the vitamin, my skin is still not improved, I am willing to do other tests. I want to thank you all so much for your help in my process of elimination of my acne source. I will update you all if I am starting to clear up--or get worse. I think it has taken me being persistent with my doctor in finding the root cause of my acne, not just taking birth control pills as a trial and error thing.  THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! :* :* :*

#59 paigems

paigems

Veteran Member

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

UPDATE:

For those of you still wondering if I took hormone tests, I had my progesterone, estradiol (day 21), and vitamin D (1, 25) levels checked. I got a call today and was told that everything came back normal EXCEPT the vitamin D, in which I was quite deficient. I was prescribed 50,000 IU of prescription strength vitamin D3. I am still thinking about doing the cortisol test, but am not entirely sure if I need to take it.... It is a saliva test which is not covered by my insurance and costs about 100 US dollars. anyway, if, after 8 weeks of taking the vitamin, my skin is still not improved, I am willing to do other tests. I want to thank you all so much for your help in my process of elimination of my acne source. I will update you all if I am starting to clear up--or get worse. I think it has taken me being persistent with my doctor in finding the root cause of my acne, not just taking birth control pills as a trial and error thing.  THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! :* :* :*

Not to burst your bubble but I was also severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal didn't do much for my acne. I think that some of us with acne are sensitive to normal levels of hormones. So your testosterone may be normal, but you are more sensitive to that normal amount.

Do you eat a lot of fat in your diet? Have you tried an elimination diet? Also, have you run the products you use on your skin (skincare and makeup) through cosdna to make sure nothing in them is clogging you?

#60 brennaj

brennaj

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Not to burst your bubble but I was also severely deficient in vitamin D and getting my levels back to normal didn't do much for my acne. I think that some of us with acne are sensitive to normal levels of hormones. So your testosterone may be normal, but you are more sensitive to that normal amount.

Do you eat a lot of fat in your diet? Have you tried an elimination diet? Also, have you run the products you use on your skin (skincare and makeup) through cosdna to make sure nothing in them is clogging you?

Well, seeing that most of the acne I have ever gotten has been in the winter time, it is worth the shot--and most of the symptoms I have had point to a D deficiency. It makes a lot of sense. But, I am skeptical as I have always been, and don't expect it to be a cure-all. I will continue a dairy free diet (I have found that dairy has been my biggest acne trigger from a series trial and error removal of things in my diet). I also have taken gluten and processed sugars from my diet. I decided to go ahead with my saliva DHEA-cortisol test, and will be getting the results sometime next week. (just to cover all my bases) 

And can you please give me proof of this so-called sensitivity to normal levels of hormones? I have heard a total of 2-3 people say something like that. How do you help a sensitivity to testosterone? To me, it just sounds ridiculous... but I am not going to close my mind to it. 

Actually, I don't wear anything but eye makeup usually--unless I have somewhere special to go to, then foundation. but usually I will just wash my face with a gentle cleanser and distilled water, moisturize, and put on 5 percent BP on spots. then, twice a week, I do a AHA peel on my face for the severe hyperpigmentation left over from the bad bout of acne I had 2 months ago that is going away.

HA. I always have eaten fat... EVOO and butter (only eat a little when I am feeling quite indulgent...very rare) are my favorites. I don't eat a lot of it, though.... maybe a couple of tablespoons a day combined total? I honestly don't think that fat has been my problem, as my acne is slowly starting to get better, and I have been eating more fats than I have usually been eating in the last few months. Honestly, I cannot cut much more out of my diet. I go to a school where I cannot cook for myself unless I have medical proof (AKA test results) of a food allergy/sensitivity. Also, cutting out the dairy and gluten has been hard enough to do. I am not cutting out fat. That sounds to me quite unhealthy--I want to enjoy my life, not take out all foods in order to keep myself from getting acne. If I have to live with the occasional spot after this whole fiasco because I eat semi-normal healthy foods, I am a lucky lucky girl. 

Edited by brennaj, 07 January 2014 - 06:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users