Photo

Jojoba oil non-comedogenic or not?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 a529612

a529612

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:07 PM

I'm using it a facial moisturizer. It has done a great job in controlling flaking from Tazorac. However, my breakout has gotten worse for the last 2 weeks. I don't know if it's the effect of Taz or the jojoba oil is cloging my pores. Any idea?

#2 Guest_Tracy_*

Guest_Tracy_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:59 PM

I'm not aware of jojoba oil causing breakouts, but I could be wrong. Not that I am. Wrong. Very often. razz.gif

#3 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:37 AM

Jojoba oil is non-comedogenic, but pore clogging is not the only factor that causes acne. excessive oil also causes acne because the p.acne bacteria feed off oils.

So instead of using some sort of oil as your moisturizer, why not try Glycerin or HA(more potent) to moisturize?

#4 a529612

a529612

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE(shriek @ Oct 22 2004, 07:37 AM)
So instead of using some sort of oil as your moisturizer, why not try Glycerin or HA(more potent) to moisturize?

View Post

I'm not familiar with these. Can you shed some light on what they are?

#5 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:51 AM

From http://www.cosmeticc...YPE=SEARCH&ID=A

glycerin. Also called glycerol; it is present in all natural lipids (fats), whether animal or vegetable. It can be manufactured by the hydrolysis of fats and by the fermentation of sugars. It can also be synthetically manufactured. For some time it was thought that too much glycerin in a moisturizer could pull water out of the skin instead of drawing it into the skin. That theory now seems to be completely unfounded. What appears to be true is that glycerin shores up the skin's natural protection by filling in the area known as the intercellular matrix and by attracting just the right amount of water to maintain the skin's homeostasis. There is also research indicating that the presence of glycerin in the intercellular layer helps other skin lipids do their jobs better (Sources: American Journal of Contact Dermatitis, September 2000, pages 165–169; and Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November 1999, pages 418–421). See intercellular matrix and natural moisturizing factors.

Glycerin is one of the main ingredients in almost every skincare product. But it's best to find some pure form then dilute it with distilled water(preferably 1:2).
However, glycerin is not good at moisturizing as it doesn't hold up much water. So a better choice is hyaluronic acid(HA), which can hold up 500-1000 times its weight in water.

A good place to find them is always on the Internet.

#6 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:55 AM

forgot to mention that you can also use aloe vera juice as a moisturizer. It's cheaper and much easier to obtain.

#7 wantperfectskin

wantperfectskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:44 PM

I use jojoba oil as a make-up remover. It works great.

#8 msgingersweetie

msgingersweetie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2004 - 06:03 PM

I had trouble with Jojoba oil clogging my pores badly but I have heard a lot of others say that it doesn't.

#9 Guest_brokencocoon_*

Guest_brokencocoon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

I've been using it for a couple years now and it's never bothered my skin. Quite the opposite actually. I love it wink.gif