This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

antibiotics Which Antibiotic Should I Request?

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I'm a 20 year old male. My mother has had terrible hormonal acne for years -- but my skin was COMPLETELY clear until this January.

Shortly after New Year's I had a huuuuuge breakout for the first time in my life. My cheeks were COVERED. I was very stressed at the time and my skin became incredibly dry as it was winter. Proactiv eventually cleared it up after a few months, to a considerable extent, but left me with terrible hyperpigmentation.

By summer my skin was glowing and clear again -- I had three chemical peels which worked wonders for the pigmentation. Second week of september, 9 months after the first breakout, I got another. It's been nearly 3 months and it hasn't let up much. It's better than it was before, but I think I need an intervention.

I've tried topical retinol, use a salicylic cleanser and toner, aloe based moisturizer, I eat well, avoid sweets, never consume dairy, drink over 3 liters of water per day. Benzoyl peroxide dries my skin out and only works to a certain degree.

I'm not covered by insurance currently and seeing a dermatologist might not be an option till January, but I can see my general physician and request a specific antibiotic for a decent price.

I've been doing a lot of research on various antibiotics and from what I've seen, Bactrim seems to have fast-acting, "miraculous" results. What are your experiences with antibiotics? If you've taken Bactrim, let me know how it worked for you.

Thank you!

I've taken Bactrim and while it is a very good acne antibiotic with (I believe) lower resistance rates, it should not be your first choice esp. if you are a newer acne patient, as the allergic reaction from Bactrim can be life threatening - and people with no previous allergies to anything have reported problems with Bactrim. I was recently prescribed it and my first acne visit to the Dr. was in 2001! I would ask for one of the oral *cycline or oral/topical *mycin antibiotics first.

If you do get a paper for Bactrim, take one and wait one or two days before taking the next to make sure it is agreeable with your body.