Flax seed oil as spot treatment?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Indoobidubly

Indoobidubly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:20 AM

Is it okay to cut the capsules open and use the oil for use on dry/irritated spots? Or would regular moisturizer be better?

#2 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:15 PM

I just buy the oil and rub it all over my face. It would be annoying to cut open each capsule. You can just buy a bottle of the oil. It makes a great moisterizer, its full of anti-oxidants and it's anti-inflammatory too! smile.gif

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#3 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:15 AM

I do not agree. Yes, it's a good moisturizer, but it's probably way too oily for acne-prone skin. There are many other good moisturizers out there that are non-comedogenic.

I don't think flaxseed oil contain any antioxidant (or very little if there is at all). It's a rich source of fatty acids. it contains AHA, which can be converted to OMEGA 3 EFA in your body(only about 10% is converted), and LA, which can be converted to OMEGA 3 EFA, plus some others. OMEGA 3 EFA is essential for the synthesis of prostaglandin of 3 series, while OMEGA 6 EFA is essential for the synthesis of prostaglandin of 1 series and 2 series. Prostaglandins of series 1 and 3 are "friendly" while prostaglandin 2 series are potentially volatile. Prostaglandins of series 1 and 3 have anti-imflammatory properties.

My point is that flaxseed oil itself isn't anti-imflammatory. It's the good prostaglandins which your body converts the oil to that has anti-imflammatory properties. So instead of rubbing it on your zits, i suggest you take a teaspoon of it every morning.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#4 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(shriek @ Oct 22 2004, 01:15 AM)
I do not agree. Yes, it's a good moisturizer, but it's probably way too oily for acne-prone skin. There are many other good moisturizers out there that are non-comedogenic.

I don't think flaxseed oil contain any antioxidant (or very little if there is at all). It's a rich source of fatty acids. it contains AHA, which can be converted to OMEGA 3 EFA in your body(only about 10% is converted), and LA, which can be converted to OMEGA 3 EFA, plus some others. OMEGA 3 EFA is essential for the synthesis of prostaglandin of 3 series, while OMEGA 6 EFA is essential for the synthesis of prostaglandin of 1 series and 2 series. Prostaglandins of series 1 and 3 are "friendly" while prostaglandin 2 series are potentially volatile. Prostaglandins of series 1 and 3 have anti-imflammatory properties.

My point is that flaxseed oil itself isn't anti-imflammatory. It's the good prostaglandins which your body converts the oil to that has anti-imflammatory properties. So instead of rubbing it on your zits, i suggest you take a teaspoon of it every morning.

View Post

I've used it on my face and my skin IS acne prone. The oil doesn't seem to clog pores..it actually started my zits healing and drying up! I think you should at least try it and see if it works for you before you decide.

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The  lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

#5 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:01 PM

OK, then i was wrong. sorry.
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users