Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starviolet

You Can't Get "break Outs" From Makeup

10 posts in this topic

It's impossible. Anything you develop from a makeup, sunscreen or skin care products is usually dermatitis. Acne is hormonal and nothing influences acne topically as makeup can't penetrate deep enough to the sebaceous glands to cause acne to form.

sebaceous-glands-pictures.jpg

See? The sebaceous glands are below the skins surface

Don't restrict yourself from wearing makeup as it doesn't actually cause or worsen inflammatory acne

(papules, pustules, cysts, nodules).

I disagree. Oil based makeup products most definitely can break acne-prone skin types out. Fragrances can cause irritation and dermatitis but oil can cause comedones which will most likely manifester into acne breakouts. Make sure you always check the ingredients of the products you purchase whether it be skincare or makeup.

4 people like this

It doesn't have to penetrate. Just clog the pore and boom.

3 people like this

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg

It does- for instance i broke out from Revlon nearly naked because of the jojohba oil (is that how you spell it?) in it.

"Pass the marmalade" - Hermione Granger

I will tell that to my skin, which decides to erupt in spots after I wear foundation!saywhat.gif

My doctor told me that cosmetics definitely cause acne. After all these years dealing with my skin, I believe him.

1 person likes this

It's right here on the site - http://www.acne.org/makeup.html

Finished my 1st round of Accutane course on 3/29/2015
40mg/day every month for 6 months

Began 2nd round of Accutane on 10/13/2015
My acne came back very mildly & nowhere near as bad as it used to be, I refused any topicals or antibiotics since I've already been through the "last resort" treatment without any problems.

Dosage & length of time is the same as the 1st round.

Update: 10/1/2016
Skin is still completely clear! I'll get an occasional random pimple every few months, and I'm perfectly okay with that.

It does. The pore gets clogged, and the sebaceous gland produces sebum as they normally do, and the sebum builds up under the skin because it has no where to go, to excrete and causes inflammation.

Yes I'm pretty sure I have always had acne since I was about 13ish. Then I started using makeup to try and cover up. My acne went from mild to severe and hasn't been right since. Makeup that states non comedogenic, or for all skin types. Completely wrong.

I think the poster has a bit of a point - most of what I have read on this topic talks about acne cosmetica, which does exist and is acne caused by makeup and skin care products. It usually presents as non-inflammatory, like dermatitis. However, certainly people who are predisposed to cystic acne could expect that this type of irritation would worsen their condition, and seem to 'cause' or worsen inflammatory acne as well.

Cosmetics can clog pores, and different people have different reactions to that. However, it is likely that if your cosmetics are aggravating your acne you will experience some dermatitis (redness or bumpiness) with that like the IP indicated, which can help you to tell that the cosmetics are causing it.

2 people like this

This is incorrect!

Don't listen to this poster. I do not have hormonal acne, except for 1 monthly menstrual cyst. However, I am a makeup junkie. I ONLY breakout from new products. When the breakout clears, my skin goes back to being clear.