You Can't Get "break Outs" From Makeup

9 replies to this topic

#1 Starviolet

Starviolet

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's impossible. Anything you develop from a makeup, sunscreen or skin care products is usually dermatitis. Acne is hormonal and nothing influences acne topically as makeup can't penetrate deep enough to the sebaceous glands to cause acne to form.

sebaceous-glands-pictures.jpg

See? The sebaceous glands are below the skins surface

Don't restrict yourself from wearing makeup as it doesn't actually cause or worsen inflammatory acne

(papules, pustules, cysts, nodules).

Edited by Starviolet, 13 November 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#2 CaliPoppy

CaliPoppy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Beauty, Skincare & Clear Skin!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

I disagree. Oil based makeup products most definitely can break acne-prone skin types out. Fragrances can cause irritation and dermatitis but oil can cause comedones which will most likely manifester into acne breakouts. Make sure you always check the ingredients of the products you purchase whether it be skincare or makeup.

#3 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

It doesn't have to penetrate. Just clog the pore and boom.

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg

#4 Avada Kedavra Acne

Avada Kedavra Acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

It does- for instance i broke out from Revlon nearly naked because of the jojohba oil (is that how you spell it?) in it. 

"Pass the marmalade"          - Hermione Granger

#5 PeggysGonetoMemphis

PeggysGonetoMemphis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, rock/pop, movies, well the usual stuff really, I'm not that interesting.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I will tell that to my skin, which decides to erupt in spots after I wear foundation!saywhat.gif

My doctor told me that cosmetics definitely cause acne. After all these years dealing with my skin, I believe him. 

#6 xdevochkax

xdevochkax

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's right here on the site - http://www.acne.org/makeup.html

My acne in a nutshell -- Mild-to-moderate, adult on-set, began late 2009. Regarding my beliefs and previous skincare/lifestyle changes I've tried, I have been conflicted, misinformed, resistant, allergic, and had my hopes up too high only to be let down. Many of my previous posts on here will reflect that. Considering I have never found an explanation as to why I developed acne in my twenties (whereas I've had flawless skin my entire life up until then), I claim to know nothing. I am still fighting the fight and can only offer my humble advice.

#7 TrustfulHip

TrustfulHip

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

It does. The pore gets clogged, and the sebaceous gland produces sebum as they normally do, and the sebum builds up under the skin because it has no where to go, to excrete and causes inflammation. 

#8 CurlyDuck

CurlyDuck

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yes I'm pretty sure I have always had acne since I was about 13ish. Then I started using makeup to try and cover up. My acne went from mild to severe and hasn't been right since. Makeup that states non comedogenic, or for all skin types. Completely wrong.

#9 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think the poster has a bit of a point - most of what I have read on this topic talks about acne cosmetica, which does exist and is acne caused by makeup and skin care products. It usually presents as non-inflammatory, like dermatitis. However, certainly people who are predisposed to cystic acne could expect that this type of irritation would worsen their condition, and seem to 'cause' or worsen inflammatory acne as well.

Cosmetics can clog pores, and different people have different reactions to that. However, it is likely that if your cosmetics are aggravating your acne you will experience some dermatitis (redness or bumpiness) with that like the IP indicated, which can help you to tell that the cosmetics are causing it.

#10 kylenea

kylenea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:spying, photography, voyeurism, beauty

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

This is incorrect!

Don't listen to this poster. I do not have hormonal acne, except for 1 monthly menstrual cyst. However, I am a makeup junkie. I ONLY breakout from new products. When the breakout clears, my skin goes back to being clear. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users