Photo

The Poster "bryan" (Shelton) Died A Couple Months Ago, Which Goes To Show...

21 replies to this topic

#21 alaskanborn88

alaskanborn88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

that diet and nutritional supplements probably don't do much good. This was a guy who did a countless amount of research on diet and nutrition (and other health-related issues) through pubmed literature and the like, and he died at just 63 years of age from a series of mini-strokes. He was a big advocate for using BHT to protect unsaturated fats from oxidation damage and for chewing nutritional supplements to make sure the body absorbs them. He also advocated focusing on having a diet that takes in plenty of nutrients. And yet, he died at a younger age than the average life span for a man in the United States.

It's all genetic, folks. You're only going to live as long as your genes allow you to (barring any events/accidents in life, I mean). All this holistic health stuff is a waste of time.

That's some brilliant research, what with your singular anecdotal evidence and all. My Grandmother is still alive at the age of 73 despite smoking her entire adult life, yet a friend of mine's father who ate well and excercised daily died from a massive heart attack in his early 50's. Scientific proof that smoking doesn't affect lifespan, amirite?

#22 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Outliers should not represent a population. You will always have a paragon of health that will die at 50, or a pariah of unhealth that will live till 90. One cannot simply look at these two individuals and conclude that lifespan for the entire human population has no correlation with lifestyle.

Secondly, we don't know everything about health and the human body. In fact, we often make premature assumptions - see heart disease, for example. We thought heart disease was caused by eating too many eggs. How wrong we were. The fact that science has not yet accounted for everything makes people dubious of current recommendations, and drives people towards more logical and less empirical movements such as the paleo diet. Which I, being a scientist, wholly endorse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users