I'll Never Understand Why The Severely Obese Don't Have Acne Issues

12 replies to this topic

#1 Raisinghell

Raisinghell

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

I have seen literally HUNDREDS of obese people with beautiful clear skin. I have always been puzzled by this? They eat such a horrific and physically damaging diet which should by all logical accounts give them acne but yet this doesn't usually seem to occur. What's up with this? I would really like some kind of explanation.

#2 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Acne is genetic and has a lot to do with hormones, skin type and immune system. 

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

I have seen literally HUNDREDS of obese people with beautiful clear skin. I have always been puzzled by this? They eat such a horrific and physically damaging diet which should by all logical accounts give them acne but yet this doesn't usually seem to occur. What's up with this? I would really like some kind of explanation.

I think there is a connection, but just to play devil's advocate, I personally know someone who is severely obese and also has bad acne. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#4 Raisinghell

Raisinghell

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think there is a connection, but just to play devil's advocate, I personally know someone who is severely obese and also has bad acne. 

Oh of course. But the general mentality on this board as that acne is mainly a dietary disease and predominately of "western origin" ( AKA our crap American diet) so I'm asking why wouldn't the obese be severely affected by Acne? It just doesn't add up.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Because not everyone has the genetic predisposition to developing acne. I have a thread on the gene/enzyme mutations that have Ben identified, I.e. the differences between us and them. If I wasn't about o go to sleep, I'd find and post it.

Here: http://www.acne.org/...en-us-and-them/

Edited by alternativista, 08 November 2013 - 07:31 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Oh of course. But the general mentality on this board as that acne is mainly a dietary disease and predominately of "western origin" ( AKA our crap American diet) so I'm asking why wouldn't the obese be severely affected by Acne? It just doesn't add up.

One factor is more fat = more estrogen. It is pretty hard to have lots of androgenic activity in your hormones when you are obese. Androgens are the hormones for muscle building, energy burning, and also acne for those of us who are sensitive to their effects. So as far as hormonal acne, yeah, I'd say the really high estrogen levels that correlate with high fat help a lot. 

Edited by Green Gables, 07 November 2013 - 05:44 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#7 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

The "healthier" i eat and live, the worse i look and feel. Well my skin anyway. When i was younger, more scrawny, ate all kinds of shit, drank far too much and took God knows what - generally misabused the crap out of my body, my skin was great.

Health, diet and nutrition may be many things but they are simple. No matter what some people may think, there is still so much to learn. [One minute saturated fat is the devil, the next minute everyone is saying it was wrongly accused. Eat "healthy" whole grains - wait a second grains are actually poisonous, etc etc etc etc.]

The more i fail to respond to all these wonderful "natural" super duper healthy diets the more i see myself considering more left-field stuff like that of Ray Peat etc - even if there is a massive cultish thing going on with just about anything linked to diet or nutrition.

I actually think being obese is a sign that somebody has/had nice and healthy genetics but as with most things in life, living to excess catches up with us all. Obviously being really overweight stresses the body but the connection between cause and effect isn't always as simple as it may seem.

God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

The "healthier" i eat and live, the worse i look and feel. Well my skin anyway. When i was younger, more scrawny, ate all kinds of shit, drank far too much and took God knows what - generally misabused the crap out of my body, my skin was great.

Health, diet and nutrition may be many things but they are simple. No matter what some people may think, there is still so much to learn. [One minute saturated fat is the devil, the next minute everyone is saying it was wrongly accused. Eat "healthy" whole grains - wait a second grains are actually poisonous, etc etc etc etc.]

The more i fail to respond to all these wonderful "natural" super duper healthy diets the more i see myself considering more left-field stuff like that of Ray Peat etc - even if there is a massive cultish thing going on with just about anything linked to diet or nutrition.

I actually think being obese is a sign that somebody has/had nice and healthy genetics but as with most things in life, living to excess catches up with us all. Obviously being really overweight stresses the body but the connection between cause and effect isn't always as simple as it may seem.

Just eat mostly real, whole nutrient rich foods. Not crap made in a big factory by big food. Really, if it ones from any of our biggest brand names, avoid it.

Whole grains are better than the reined grain crap that fills our diets now days. But that doesnt make them good. they are not equal. Today's wheat is the devil, unless prepared the old fashioned way with long raising/ fermentation as in sourdough bread. But The benefits of oats and buckwheat, for example, far outweigh the negatives inherent in seeds. Either way, grains should not be the base of your pyramid and I wouldn't routinely have more than one serving per day.

Obese people are possibly adapted to survive famine. That is the case in people more prone to developing diabetes.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#9 Starviolet

Starviolet

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just eat mostly real, whole nutrient rich foods. Not crap made in a big factory by big food. Really, if it ones from any of our biggest brand names, avoid it.

Whole grains are better than the reined grain crap that fills our diets now days. But that doesnt make them good. they are not equal. Today's wheat is the devil, unless prepared the old fashioned way with long raising/ fermentation as in sourdough bread. But The benefits of oats and buckwheat, for example, far outweigh the negatives inherent in seeds. Either way, grains should not be the base of your pyramid and I wouldn't routinely have more than one serving per day.

Obese people are possibly adapted to survive famine. That is the case in people more prone to developing diabetes.

Are you talking about the "Thrifty Gene" hypothesis? There's another poster on this board (forget his user name) who writes a blog called the Acne Einstein who actually associated acne, diabetes and the thrifty gene notion going all together (hunter gatherer body type). Are you saying he's wrong?

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Are you talking about the "Thrifty Gene" hypothesis? There's another poster on this board (forget his user name) who writes a blog called the Acne Einstein who actually associated acne, diabetes and the thrifty gene notion going all together (hunter gatherer body type). Are you saying he's wrong?

I don't know what he's saying. (I believe acne einstein is Sepsi)

But I've seen no correlation between acne sufferers and the development of diabetes.  Or any sign that we have any more of an issue managing blood sugar than anyone else.  We just get acne as a result.  For several reasons for whose genes/enzymes have been identified to do with cell proliferation and desquammation and sebum composition all of which are also affected by diet.

I know a lot of people like to think that we acne sufferers are sicker and weaker than non acne sufferers, but there's no reason to think that.  We are surrounded by clear-skinned sickly people.  And I know that I am not one of those sickly people, despite my decades of severe acne.  I just wish I understood about the rammifications of the SAD diet sooner. 

#11 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

I too have noticed a connection between obese people and no acne --- but I have also noticed a connection between people who eat @#$% and still have clear complexions...something which is often brought up by angry fed-up acne sufferers on this site.  Here is my take on this. 

Acne sufferers usually very quickly consciously or unconsciously notice a connection between foods and breakouts.  I remember as a teen noting this and avoiding chocolate and milk because they immediately caused flare-ups.  I also began noting that if I ate healthier my skin seemed to do better...not clear just better.  Consequently over the years I maintained a healthy weight because I very consciously was trying to do everything I could to avoid flare-ups.  Yes, because I have struggled with severe acne I became obsessed with diet as a means to control flare-ups...but it helped so I continued.  Flash forward decades and if you compared me to others my age you would say I looked like someone in their 20's physically, whereas most of my peers are overweight and suffering from diabetes and other internal inflammatory diseases.  They may not have acne but they have far worse diseases! 

Why don't they have acne?  Well, they were never predisposed to it genetically.  They could keep on eating whatever they liked with seemingly no consequences...so they did.  When we'd go out to eat they'd go for the heavy cream based sauces and I would be eating a huge salad.  They drank lots...because nothing caused a flare-up.  If it had you'd better believe they would have stopped because acne is so embarrasing!   But their bodies did not flame up this way...they were not sensitive to androgens genetically (like me) so they kept on eating whatever they wanted and too much.  But all this inflammatory eating did catch up with them...believe me!  They have far worse problems and take far worse drugs with awful side effects. 

Yes, I take 2 meds for my acne/rosacea (low dose spiro and extremely low dose anti-inflamatory dose doxy) but they have no side effects other than I have to pee an hour after taking spiro because it is a mild diuretic. 

Here's something to console yourself with if you suffer from chronic acne.  Your early efforts to eat right in order to manage your skin's inflammatory response (acne) will pay you back tenfold later when you are healthy, strong, fit and able to do marathons like me...and I am 62! 

Those people who ate @#$% and had clear skin will keep on eating @#$% until their bodies break down in some other more devastating way.

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#12 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I know what you are talking about.. My Mom had severe acne growing up and scarred quite a bit. No accutane and stuff like that those days. But she follows an extremely healthy diet for fear of getting acne again. She is about your age and takes no meds. My mother in law has clear skin never had a blemish, so she pretty much ate what she wanted..she does not gain weight very easily either so it was the best of both worlds, but the chronic poor diet caught up and caught up bad..she suffers from diabetes and high blood pressure.

I would say please think of acne as a chance our body signals to us to lead a better life before we have way worse illnesses.

I too have noticed a connection between obese people and no acne --- but I have also noticed a connection between people who eat @#$% and still have clear complexions...something which is often brought up by angry fed-up acne sufferers on this site.  Here is my take on this. 

Acne sufferers usually very quickly consciously or unconsciously notice a connection between foods and breakouts.  I remember as a teen noting this and avoiding chocolate and milk because they immediately caused flare-ups.  I also began noting that if I ate healthier my skin seemed to do better...not clear just better.  Consequently over the years I maintained a healthy weight because I very consciously was trying to do everything I could to avoid flare-ups.  Yes, because I have struggled with severe acne I became obsessed with diet as a means to control flare-ups...but it helped so I continued.  Flash forward decades and if you compared me to others my age you would say I looked like someone in their 20's physically, whereas most of my peers are overweight and suffering from diabetes and other internal inflammatory diseases.  They may not have acne but they have far worse diseases! 

Why don't they have acne?  Well, they were never predisposed to it genetically.  They could keep on eating whatever they liked with seemingly no consequences...so they did.  When we'd go out to eat they'd go for the heavy cream based sauces and I would be eating a huge salad.  They drank lots...because nothing caused a flare-up.  If it had you'd better believe they would have stopped because acne is so embarrasing!   But their bodies did not flame up this way...they were not sensitive to androgens genetically (like me) so they kept on eating whatever they wanted and too much.  But all this inflammatory eating did catch up with them...believe me!  They have far worse problems and take far worse drugs with awful side effects. 

Yes, I take 2 meds for my acne/rosacea (low dose spiro and extremely low dose anti-inflamatory dose doxy) but they have no side effects other than I have to pee an hour after taking spiro because it is a mild diuretic. 

Here's something to console yourself with if you suffer from chronic acne.  Your early efforts to eat right in order to manage your skin's inflammatory response (acne) will pay you back tenfold later when you are healthy, strong, fit and able to do marathons like me...and I am 62! 

Those people who ate @#$% and had clear skin will keep on eating @#$% until their bodies break down in some other more devastating way.

#13 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:32 AM

If poor health doesn't affect your hormones it affects something else, whatever part of your body is most vulnerable. This is always going to be different. It's like being in a car crash and asking why you lost your leg, and the other guy lost his arm.

There's probably an overweight forum somewhere with someone asking "Why doesn't this person with acne gain weight? HOW DO THEY DO IT?"

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users