Photo

Othorexia Nervosa

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rockyll

Rockyll

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

I think a lot of people in this section seem to suffer from this. You can argue that you can "never eat too healthy" but I believe a lot of you take it to a pathological extreme and are consumed with paranoia.

http://en.wikipedia....horexia_nervosa

I feel for you all who are suffering from this mental condition.

#2 Calumma

Calumma

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

I do not agree with this. Orthorectic people are obsessed with eating correct things. This means they are afraid that certain foods are really bad for them, but also includes foods that are suppodsed to be ethically "incorrect" (meat, dairy, imported stuff, non-organic food).

The people on the board are mainly trying to find a way to handle  their acne.

The day someone would take their acne away from them, I am quite sure one of the first things many would do , is to eat a huge pizza hut cheesy crust pizza , and Icea cream and french fries and a ton of chocolate mousse. Without feeling bad (besides the hurting stomach after that orgy maybe).

Successfully on "the regimen" from age 12 to 33 for cystic acne
 Now:
 100mg spironolactone since 08/13
Paula's Choice BHA 2%,
Green Cream 6 Retinol

Acne free and already almost free of hyperpigmentation, discolorations and wrinkles

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

BS.. I don't know where you get this 'a lot of people in this section' business.

Some people do panic over every little thing, but they tend to be young and this is just that kind of society.   I doubt they have any such condition.  Although we've had a few that tell us they developed eating disorders and come here to tell us about all the harm this talk of diet is doing to people.  

I do believe the number of people who'll develop disorders over such things, rather than simply learning to eat the way humans should,  is increasing in this all or nothing society. Especially considering how few eat the nutrients needed to cope with stresses. 

Edited by alternativista, 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#4 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

I have to agree on this, I have gone through all sorts of extremes, and still won't touch a lot of foodstuffs because I believe it is unhealthy. I definitely suffer from this to some degree, but have known this for quite some time, nothing new.

And even if my skin clears up, I still won't eat a Mac Burger and fries.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

And even if my skin clears up, I still won't eat a Mac Burger and fries.

I don't think that's an indication of a disorder. More like a symptom of wisdom.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#6 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yes, but mainstream needs to label everything. So, if we try to avoid additives, colorants, GM foods, trans fats, etc, whereas the rest of society do not, then surely there must be something wrong with us.

#7 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:49 PM

I do not agree with this. Orthorectic people are obsessed with eating correct things. This means they are afraid that certain foods are really bad for them, but also includes foods that are suppodsed to be ethically "incorrect" (meat, dairy, imported stuff, non-organic food).

The people on the board are mainly trying to find a way to handle  their acne.

The day someone would take their acne away from them, I am quite sure one of the first things many would do , is to eat a huge pizza hut cheesy crust pizza , and Icea cream and french fries and a ton of chocolate mousse. Without feeling bad (besides the hurting stomach after that orgy maybe).

^ this.

I am still careful about what I eat because I am a very active person and like being physically fit. I don't feel well to be active when I'm in a sugar coma from pizza and ice cream.

But to relate, I used to be super conscientious of bacteria on my skin. A clean pillowcase every night, never touched my face, sanitized everything I touched, washed my face meticulously every night.

Since clearing up my acne with spironolactone, I wash my sheets once a week like normal people, touch my face without worrying, and sometimes I even sleep in my makeup if I'm really tired and can't be bothered to get up from the couch I crashed on...

I think most people on here are just trying really hard to control their acne. If the acne went away, so would the food obsession. 

Edited by Green Gables, 06 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#8 WishClean

WishClean

Healthy Lifestyle Advocate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

^^ Yep, I agree. But I have to say that I now  watch what I eat and restrict more foods than when I was anorexic. Although now I'm not doing it to lose weight, but to clear my skin and hopefully fix some digestion issues.

There's nothing wrong with eating healthy, as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession. It's better than encouraging people to indulge on all this junk that fast food chains are selling. 

Supplements: inositol, DIM, digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: Low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials... (although I have been slacking lately)

** Find the cause, find the cure **

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

Yes, but mainstream needs to label everything. So, if we try to avoid additives, colorants, GM foods, trans fats, etc, whereas the rest of society do not, then surely there must be something wrong with us.

But You don't have to play that game.

Edited by alternativista, 10 November 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#10 k3tchup

k3tchup

Registered Nurse

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Nice find. Thanks for this!

I believe i had this at one time, mildly, but still prounced as it brings back some intense memories. I ended up weaning my self back over time. Lucky me.

Nurses quietly go about their work in a noble profession, uncelebrated soldiers toiling through the days and nights in service to the sick, the injured and the dying.