Alright, I'd just like to put the word out there about topicals that can actually help with hormonal acne.
The standard acne topicals, like your Duacs and Epiduos and Benzaclins and ProActives, do not help hormonal acne because they simply don't communicate with hormones. Acne is a long chain of events, and topicals typically attack the END of the chain, which is bacteria and inflammation.
Hormones are at the beginning of the chain, and the typical way to address hormones is with a pill or herbal supplement of some sort.
But I want to address this: there are actually topicals that can communicate with hormones. If you get bad side effects from birth control pills or anti-androgen herbs, or if these methods aren't clearing you 100%, there ARE topical options that can help you control your acne.
Topical spironolactone cream. This works as an anti-androgen directly on the follicles you apply it to. There is currently no evidence that it is absorbed significantly systemically, so it is safe for males or those who don't respond well to spironolactone pills.
Butyl Avocodate / Avocutine / 5-alpha Avocuta. A 2% cream was able to reduce sebum production by 30% after 3 weeks. Butyl Avocdate is an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase type 1. It is a patented ingredient and is NOT the same thing as avocado oil. It is OBTAINED from avocado oil through a specific process, but if you just slather avocado oil on your face you won't be getting the active ingredient.
Lichochalcone. Inhibits 5-alpha reductase.
- Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night Cream
- Acne.org Moisturizer with Lichochalcone
- Eucerin DermoPurifyer Hydrating Care. Also contains L-Carnitine. Discontinued in U.S. Available in Europe.
- Obagi Rosaclear Hydrating Complexion Corrector
L-Carnitine. Encourages uptake of fatty acids in the mitochondria, converting them into energy instead of sebum. Topical application can reduce the amount of sebum.
- Nivea Good-Bye Cellulite Gel-Cream
- Equate Farewell Cellulite Cream
- Eucerin DermoPurifyer Hydrating Care. Also contains Lichochalcone. Discontinued in U.S. Available in Europe.
Saw Palmetto. Saw Palmetto capsules are the go-to ingredient for men with hormonal acne. It is also available in some creams.
- Origins Zero-Oil Moisture Free Lotion
- Origins Spot Remover Acne Treatment Pads
- Aveda Outer Peace Acne Relief Lotion
Vitamin B5. There was a study done showing that vitamin B5, because of its role in CoA metabolism, can keep excess lipids from accumulating in sebaceous glands. Also when your level of vitamin B5 is too low, CoA increases androgen production.
- Acne Miracle 20% Topical Vitamin B5 Gel
- SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel
- Moisture Plus Topical Vitamin B5 Hydrating Serum
Relatively untested ingredients: The following ingredients were shown in one small study to have beneficial effects, but so far the reliability is very low compared to the ingredients above.
Peppermint. Inhibits 5 alpha reductase.
- Avalon Organics Peppermint Shave Cream
- Eminence Aloe Mint Hydrating Cream
- Sothys Clarte and Confort Light Cream
- Natural Beauty Peppermint Balm
- Earth Science Purifying Facial Masque Mint Tingle
- Charleston Naturally 100% Pure Mint Tea Moisturizer
Arnica. Inhibits androgen receptor binding.
- Look for arnica creams in the pain relief section of any drugstore.
Edited by Green Gables, 05 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.