Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saw Palmetto Making Acne Worse?

5 posts in this topic

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. :)

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. smile.png

1 person likes this

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

GreenGables

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. :)

A lot of people get a "purge" when they change their hormones for the better.

Hormonal treatments in particular take much longer than a week to see the benefits. Hang in there.

So, I have not had any problems with redness, scarring, or gigantic breakouts for a long long time. Well, I've recently started taking saw palmetto, because I read lots of reviews and posts saying that it helped tremendously. Well. It's only been about a week, maybe I'm not giving it enough time. But almost out of nowhere, my skin is now very red and I have at least 13 pimples in one area of my face. Has anyone taken sp and had a bad initial first month or so? Please, help. I need to know if I should just stop taking this stuff completely. Thank you. smile.png

Gracie-Robin

P.C.O.S

Vitamins/Supplements: Vitex (agnus castus), A Herbal Mix made by a Naturopath, DIM Plus, Zinc, Vitamin A, Milk Thistle, Calcium, Matcha Green tea, Myo-Inositol powder, Omega 3 Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil.

Diet: Dairy free (mainly due to intolerance), low carb, low sugar, no processed foods

Lifestyle: I run every day. I gym three/four times a week.

In the past: Various Antibiotics, Birth Control Pills (Dianette, Yasmin, Cilest), Zineryt, Benzoyl Peroxide, Two courses of Roaccutane.

When I was taking it I didn't get an initial breakout. Actually, most people don't get an initial breakout from it, but it could happen. I got spotting from it, which to me was a sign that it was doing something to my hormones. Within the first month, my skin got better and then it plateaued so it only had a short term impact on my acne. You might need to combine saw palmetto with an estrogen & progesterone regulator.

Current regimen: garlic supplements [as needed], Enzymedica gluten blocker [as needed], nicadan [not sure if it works yet]. I try to simplify as much as I can. Don't take more supplements than you need....try one at a time and be patient.

The supplements that really helped me when my acne was at its worst: inositol, DIM [not as frequently now!] digestive enzymes [don't need them every day anymore, only on cheat days], herpanacine & vitamin C with rose hips/ low acid [not every day], regular sun exposure for vitamin D3, superoxide dismutase (SOD) enzyme supplements. NOTE: I do not recommend DIM for long term use, and I do not recommend hormonal creams without doctor supervision.

Lifestyle & Skin Care: acupuncture, regular exercise/ yoga, low histamine diet, avoiding unnecessary stress, balancing skin's PH (using Image Ormedics), using distilled/ filtered water to wash face, occasional high frequency facials...

Grocery list:

** Find the cause, find the cure **

** If you have a question for me, please ask it publicly so that others can benefit from the discussion**